Considering 2010 Med Cruise with Azamara

tawcat

My DW told me tonight that for her 55th birthday she wants to do an Azamara cruise. Departing Rome, visiting Sorrento, Taormina, Ravenna, Venice, Dubrovnik, Olbia, La Spezia and Florence. Sounds nice, however the 2010 schedule is not out yet. But lookingat both ships I believe we want the Quest.

Can you folks tell me about this cruise. What wear, what to expect, service and Celebrity Captains club perks.

Thanks so much.

Hi Tawcat,

If this is the 'Best of Italy' cruise, have a look at the thread titled "Best of Italy 2009", about half way down the forum page.

Which level of Captain's Club are you? (The perks vary depending on level.)

Hi Tawcat,

If this is the 'Best of Italy' cruise, have a look at the thread titled "Best of Italy 2009", about half way down the forum page.

Which level of Captain's Club are you? (The perks vary depending on level.)

Right now we are "select" which I think is like basic. We are platinum with RCCL and I figure we will be upgraded on Celebrity due to our past two sailings on RCCL.

tawcat - is that a black Lab in your Avatar?

Mine is a black Lab called Pepper. We too are looking for a similar cruise for 2010 - can't wait for them to release their 2010 summer schedules past April. Hope they keep the itineraries very similar, if not same. We want to do a B2B with Venice in the middle.

tawcat - is that a black Lab in your Avatar?

Mine is a black Lab called Pepper. We too are looking for a similar cruise for 2010 - can't wait for them to release their 2010 summer schedules past April. Hope they keep the itineraries very similar, if not same. We want to do a B2B with Venice in the middle.

Our pup is a rescue from our local animal shelter (kill facility). Some jerk drove up, tied him to the fence and drove off. He's a full bloodied Boykin Spaniel. Google him, very interesting lineage.

Yes we are awaiting the 2010 schedule release. We are excited about doing the "Best of Italy" sailing. We will probably, provided the DW saves her vacation time, try to spend a few days in Tuscany. Ever since we saw that movie, I think, "Under the Tuscan Sun" we have been heart set on going there.

Our pup is a rescue from our local animal shelter (kill facility). Some jerk drove up, tied him to the fence and drove off. He's a full bloodied Boykin Spaniel. Google him, very interesting lineage.

Yes we are awaiting the 2010 schedule release. We are excited about doing the "Best of Italy" sailing. We will probably, provided the DW saves her vacation time, try to spend a few days in Tuscany. Ever since we saw that movie, I think, "Under the Tuscan Sun" we have been heart set on going there.

It seems to be a fairly rare breed as my excellent book on dogs does not list it. After googling him - he/she sounds like a wonderful dog!

I know you will love Tuscany.

Happy travels!

Azamara is not Celebrity. You won't get an upgrade.

The upgrade I spoke of is in the Captains Club. Celebrity gives you cruise credit when you sail RCCL. So with our recent past crusies with RCCL, we will be upgraded from Celebrity Captains Club "Select" status. Might have enough now to be Elite.

Azamara recognizes Captain's Club membership per their brochure.

Azamara is not Celebrity. You won't get an upgrade.

Yes, you likely will. Our Azamara cruise was our first on either Celebrity or Azamara and, thanks to being Diamond Plus on RCI, we were given Elite status and the few perks that come with it. You should call the Captain's Club to ensure that your higher status is recognized.

To actually answer your question, we have cruised the Med 3 times on O and Az (last on Quest 2008).

Anything involving Italy will not be a disappointment. Try and sort out your own Tours and use Trains from Livorno to Florence but check the times in advance.

We are thinking of doing another this year.

Brian

My DW told me tonight that for her 55th birthday she wants to do an Azamara cruise. Departing Rome, visiting Sorrento, Taormina, Ravenna, Venice, Dubrovnik, Olbia, La Spezia and Florence. Sounds nice, however the 2010 schedule is not out yet. But lookingat both ships I believe we want the Quest.

Can you folks tell me about this cruise. What wear, what to expect, service and Celebrity Captains club perks.

Thanks so much.

TAWCAT:

FYI: My TA sent me an email that Azamara will be opening up their 2010 schedule March 3, 2009. You might want to let your TA know so that they can keep up updated with the info. If you don't have a TA I will be happy to forward the info from my TA to you. Here's my email if you decide:

tmyq@aol.com

Jeff

To actually answer your question, we have cruised the Med 3 times on O and Az (last on Quest 2008).

Anything involving Italy will not be a disappointment. Try and sort out your own Tours and use Trains from Livorno to Florence but check the times in advance.

We are thinking of doing another this year.

Brian

Brian, Stu and I are doing Best of Italy August 9..think about joining us we would love to cruise with you and I owe you since you bought dinner in London!..email me for info..

Jancruz1

TAWCAT:

FYI: My TA sent me an email that Azamara will be opening up their 2010 schedule March 3, 2009. You might want to let your TA know so that they can keep up updated with the info. If you don't have a TA I will be happy to forward the info from my TA to you. Here's my email if you decide:

tmyq@aol.com

Jeff

Hi Jeff !

You might want to check out this thread, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=918056 ,as I have been told slightly different dates than you mentioned above.

I am looking for a Western Med cruise in May or June 2010 and looking at all the lines but honing in on RCCI, Celebrity, and Azamara. Since I will have no credit towards any higher "level" with Azamara or any other cruise line that sails the Med, what does that mean? Will my cabin be smaller or something? The others are telling me to go with itinerary first and price second, so I have to justify that Azamara is worth the higher price when we know we'll spend as little time as possible on the ship. So far all I've concluded based on posted reviews is the food is the best of the three on Azamara, so I'm open to any other great things I can tell them, especially from people who have also cruised Celebrity and RCCI. Thanks!

Hi Podie,

Don't worry about having any prior cruises on RCI, Celebrity or Azamara. People are talking about the Captain Club perks -- maybe some money off laundry service or advance dining reservations in the specialty restaurants. The only big difference for me in taking a small ship for a Med cruise instead of RCI or Celebrity or even Princess is the size of the ships. If you want a big ship experience, big shows in the lounge and lots of passengers go with the big ships. If you want a wonderful cozy experience, go with Azamara or a ship in similar size that offers dine where you want when you want and no formal nights. It's just country club casual. The smaller ships can dock in some of the ports where the huge ones have to drop anchor and use tenders. We have been on over 35 cruises in our lifetime of cruising and prefer the small ships. We even did the Dalmation Coast two years ago Venice to Venice on a small 90 passenger yacht. We were able to pull into very small ports so easily and just walk off in little villages.

Also, if you aren't a smoker, you will be in for a practically non-smoking experience. There are only two places on the ship where smoking is allowed and one of them is outside by the pool.

Sheila

The upgrade I spoke of is in the Captains Club. Celebrity gives you cruise credit when you sail RCCL. So with our recent past crusies with RCCL, we will be upgraded from Celebrity Captains Club "Select" status. Might have enough now to be Elite.

Azamara recognizes Captain's Club membership per their brochure.

AZ wouldn't recognize my CC Classic status and do the one category upgrade for my 2 back-to-back cruises. I was told the AZ ships are an exclusion to that. And I booked 9 months out.

Archived