Anyone Read 'Burning Cold' yet?

HALFans

I just got done reading 'Burning Cold - The cruise ship Prinsendam and the Greatest Sea Rescue of All Time' by H. Paul Jeffers.

It's about the burning and consequent sinking of the 7 year old Holland America Line - Prinsendam in 1980.

She caught fire in the Gulf of Alaska, full load of staff and passengers...

Brrrr.

I found the style to be a bit dry, but it's a factual accounting of the events and over all a good read IMO.

I didn't read the book, but I read an article several years ago about the sinking in Popular Mechanics magazine, believe it or not! It was excellent. Then I heard they were naming a ship the Prisendam again, I kinda thought it might be bad luck...I haven't sailed her yet, but hope to some day.

I read it, too, and wished it had been edited more carefully. There were some inaccurate dates at the end and clunky writing throughout that marred an otherwise riveting read. I also thought that the writer's attitude toward the crew was dismissive. I noted all this on a comment postcard that was included in the book. Maybe the next printing, if it occurred, was better. I did learn, however, to plan for the worst, just in case -- like keep a warm coat and shoes handy before you switch off the lights, and pay attention at muster drill. I love it that our Rev Neal pats "his" lifeboat as he strolls beneath it. I'll try it next time but I don't think I'm tall enough.

-- like keep a warm coat and shoes handy before you switch off the lights, and pay attention at muster drill.

Excellent advice, ma'am. Keep it handy, within easy reach. Wouldn't hurt to have a small penlight flashlight in one of the pockets ... with fresh batteries.

I read it, too, and wished it had been edited more carefully.

Wonder if it was self-published, as many, many books are today? The sad thing is that often when people self-publish, they self-edit too ... and that's a very, very bad idea. You need a second pair of eyes, and an experienced editor, to produce a quality book.

Maybe that's the problem here?

A fact checker is great to have too ... though most people don't bother with that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Wonder if it was self-published, as many, many books are today? The sad thing is that often when people self-publish, they self-edit too ... and that's a very, very bad idea. You need a second pair of eyes, and an experienced editor, to produce a quality book.

Maybe that's the problem here? --rita

Actually is was published by Zenith Press an imprint of MBI Publishing Company, whatever that means..

I found a used copy of the book on-line last year...Agree it was occasionally dry reading, but still found it quite interesting & could not put it down..Our Nephew was stationed in Alaska with the Coast Guard in the 70's & understand what those boys & the Passengers went through, especially in October..when we were there it was quite cold in August & believe October must have been brutal:eek::eek:.... We've also cruised on the new "Prinsendam" in warmer waters..

Agree, Cruisers are much too nonchalant when it comes to safety aboard airlines & muster drill on Cruise ships.. Even though we traveled constantly by air before I retired from an International Airline & have since been on many cruises, we always have been attentive to safety measures both on flights & aboard ship.. Anyone who skips muster & doesn't pay attention to Airline safety info is asking for trouble & not very bright in my opinion..I'll probably get flamed for that!:rolleyes:

We also take a flashlight with us & know where our warm clothing is stowed, just in case! ;)

Betty

Agree, Cruisers are much too nonchalant when it comes to safety aboard airlines & muster drill on Cruise ships.. Even though we traveled constantly by air before I retired from an International Airline & have since been on many cruises, we always have been attentive to safety measures both on flights & aboard ship.. Anyone who skips muster & doesn't pay attention to Airline safety info is asking for trouble & not very bright in my opinion..I'll probably get flamed for that!:rolleyes:

We also take a flashlight with us & know where our warm clothing is stowed, just in case! ;)

Betty

On the Noordam last May we had a rough time with the tenders at Monte Carlo. I like that "my" lifeboat was used as a tender, since that means it is used regularly, the pilot knows how to handle it, and the rest of the crew can get us on and off in rough waters (two on the tender handing us off to two on the ship). Trust in your crew? Priceless.

Trish

I like that "my" lifeboat was used as a tender, since that means it is used regularly, the pilot knows how to handle it, and the rest of the crew can get us on and off in rough waters (two on the tender handing us off to two on the ship).Trish

But if the tender is used as a lifeboat in an emergency, will they let you board without a shore excursion voucher?? :D

But if the tender is used as a lifeboat in an emergency, will they let you board without a shore excursion voucher?? :D

Do you suppose it has to be purchased prior to sailing, or perhaps onboard? And then, would you have to wait for the shore excursion office to be opened?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw your entry and realized I missed seeing the book when It came out in 2006. I immediately checked Baltimore county public library and saw we had 6 copies all on the shelf. I had read a mention in one of John Maxtone Graham's books which interested me about 15 years ago. But I dont think he stated he was on that cruise with his teen age daughter. HOW did I miss the sinking? I did see several errors as mentioned as well as a statement about flying survivors to Yakutat and taking them by ground transportation to Sitka! that would be another miracle. However later on the author mentioning flying the ones from Yakatut to Sitka. I am so glad you started this thread. I will be on the Ryndam in May on an inside passage cruise . This time with my daughter and SIL who have never been there. I hope that we will haave a good day in Glacier Bay. my late husband & I embarked in Juneau(yes,not Skagway) in 1991 and had a beautiful day there. this was on the Nieu Amsterdam. I love HAL and all my cruises (9) but have been on her ships. The other Regent Sun in 1993 to New England & Canada had a good itinerary but a sloppy life boat drill. since I had been on 3 cruises as well as TA crossing in 1959 I was not happy with it. I wonder what would happen with many of the party ships in an emergency.

I had read a mention in one of John Maxtone Graham's books which interested me about 15 years ago. But I dont think he stated he was on that cruise with his teen age daughter.

HALFans -- thanks for mentioning this book -- I ordered a used copy from Half.com and just finished it.

Candy's Mom -- Not sure that "John Graham" on board Prinsendam with daughter Malory, was "John Maxtone-Graham" whose last name is not Graham! In spite of other errors in the book, I would hope that they'd get the name of our most eminent ship historian correct! Anyone know for certain?

Yes, I've read the book. I found it interesting. I also thought it was great that everyone got off the ship ... just like the recent USAirways water landing.

The USAirways passengers departed on a plane and most were rescued by watercraft. The HAL passengers departed on a ship and most were rescued by aircraft. :)

Oh, here's a special note to RuthC!

One of the entertainers onboard for that sailing was Yanni.

:D

Thanks for the info; I always love knowing about the entertainment aboard. I remember the days when HAL entertainers were well known names.

And I remember when the Prinsendam sank how I thought how well HAL handles lifeboat drill, and being glad for it.

Guess it's time to get the book.

If I remember correctly James Deering was aboard that sailing doing photography for AMEX, or it was at the beginning of his career , maybe Lisa or one of our other HAL experts can comment or correct me. Been meaning to read it too. Just finished "cruise confidential" and "captain's log" and am starting "devils on deep blue sea" for the yummer II cruise

DH has read the book. We were on the cruise before this. Due to unusual circumstances, we were VERY late getting into Vancouver (noon-ish). A number of passengers on this cruise were already there when we disembarked. Given the ages we saw, we were VERY impressed that HAL got them all of the ship safely.

Archived