Are RCCL Removing Conceirge Access for Diamond Members? - Opinions please

I have recently returned from a Christmas and New Year Cruise in SE Aisia on the Legend of the Seas.

As a Diamond member, one of the pleasures for me cruising with RCCL is the Concierge access.

Many ships have dedicated lounges and some have had other rooms such as the Library converted.

Imagine my horror when arriving to be told that the library had been converted back into a public room only 2 weeks earlier on the Legend.

I spoke with the Guest Services Manager, who appologised by offering a single bottle of wine. Although he also stated that the removal of Concierge facilities for all non suite guests (Diamond and Diamond+) will be rolling out fleet wide from January. This fact was confirmed later in the cruise by the F&B Manager.

Has anyone else heard or experienced this withdrawal of Concierge access and what do you think about it?

I haven't heard that they are doing this but with the large amount of past guests making Diamond and D+, it would not surprise me at all. I know in the past when there have been a lot of past guests on board, they have opened an additional lounge to handle the overflow. Guess time will tell if they are actually doing this.

Interesting report. Thanks for sharing it.

I don't know anything about it, but I can't say it surprises me. It's been rumored for some time that D / D+ would either lose CL benefits entirely or that the tiers would be redone in a way that many who qualify currently no longer would.

The sheer numbers of D / D+ seems to dictate that RCI has to do something, and now add on their need to cut costs in a bad economy, and their hand may have finally been forced.

I really used to enjoy the lounge, and met some very nice people and some great concierges (Francois, Reyno) that way. But when they do make the change, it won't impact if and how I sail RCI. It just doesn't figure into my cruise experience enough to matter, and I understand that RCI needs to do something

It will be interesting to see the howl that comes from this board, however. :rolleyes::D

I just spoke with Crown & Anchor and they said this was not true. That RCCL has no intention of taking out or denying Diamond members access to the Concierge Lounges....

Well C&A is not always in the know on this stuff as has been proven here on CC over and over. We usually know about the changes before the customer service reps.

I just spoke with Crown & Anchor and they said this was not true. That RCCL has no intention of taking out or denying Diamond members access to the Concierge Lounges....

Surely if it happening, then C&A are wrong.

I have recently returned from a Christmas and New Year Cruise in SE Aisia on the Legend of the Seas.

As a Diamond member, one of the pleasures for me cruising with RCCL is the Concierge access.

Many ships have dedicated lounges and some have had other rooms such as the Library converted.

Imagine my horror when arriving to be told that the library had been converted back into a public room only 2 weeks earlier on the Legend.

I spoke with the Guest Services Manager, who appologised by offering a single bottle of wine. Although he also stated that the removal of Concierge facilities for all non suite guests (Diamond and Diamond+) will be rolling out fleet wide from January. This fact was confirmed later in the cruise by the F&B Manager.

Has anyone else heard or experienced this withdrawal of Concierge access and what do you think about it?

Actually it was the Card Room on the Legend that was turned into a CL in approx May 07. Because of the large number of Asian/chinese guests on board these itineraries , the CL was turned back into a card room so they could play Mahjong etc. The card room is turning back to the CL when she resumes her European itineraries in the spring.

This has been covered before here on CC.

Hi,

I can 100% guarentee that the Legend of the Seas has had the Concierge lounge removed. I sailed on her from 22nd December 08 to 5th January 09.

So Crown and Anchor are not being completley honest with you.

Derek

Wait a minute. Temporarily removing the CL on one ship has nothing to do with your original post which I thought was that D/DP were not going to have access any longer....on any ship.

It would make no sense since there are now Diamond concierge lounges on all the new ships! We are D+ and enjoy the benefits of this. If the benefits for loyalty to the line are changed and no longer have Diamond lounges or concierge services for loyal patrons, we would seriously consider changing to other less expensive cruise lines. Simple as that.

Hi Albert, it may have been covered but it seems that RCCL are not being honest with us, because certain facts don't stack up.

The GSM on board said that all travel agents had been informed about the removal of the lounge, I spoke to my travel agent Vacations to go and they said that no way were they informed.

So I will admit that the GSM may have been economical with the truth when he said it would be a fleetwide removal of D/D+ access.

I even asked him, (Adrian Fernandez) if that meant the Diamond Lounges on the Feeedom class and he said - Yes.

Oh and BTW I did sit in the library several times on my Christmas and New Year Cruise and not a single Asian playing Majong, in fact not even any tables suitable for playing on, so even that was an Untruth.

Derek

It may be helpful to point out that the lounge originally was not for D / D+. It started for suite guests only.

Dedciated rooms can easily be repurposed, and as we all know, the fine print says RCI can change the program anytime.

Oh and BTW I did sit in the library several times on my Christmas and New Year Cruise and not a single Asian playing Majong, in fact not even any tables suitable for playing on, so even that was an Untruth.

.....they weren't even playing 'Snap' then either.....?!?!?!?!?:D

Wait a minute. Temporarily removing the CL on one ship has nothing to do with your original post which I thought was that D/DP were not going to have access any longer....on any ship.

Hi Mike,

As you know RCCL are in the habbit of 'Trying out' changes on certain ships, for example the charging for Steak in the dining rooms on the Freedom and Majesty.

This could well be the Companies attempt to try out the removal in SE Aisia were 90+% are first time cruisers to see how the few Diamond/Diamond+ members reacted?

I am sure that if enough fuss is kicked up about it that they will not remove the lounges, however, I agree that they may have to re-structure the tiers as there are now so many more past guests.

Derek

It may be helpful to point out that the lounge originally was not for D / D+. It started for suite guests only.

Dedciated rooms can easily be repurposed, and as we all know, the fine print says RCI can change the program anytime.

If I had booked a suite on that sailing, then I would really have been annoyed,

If I had booked a suite on that sailing, then I would really have been annoyed,

For sure. If this is the "beginning of the end," then I would really hope RCI would proactively get out in front of this and communicate the change. Unfortunately, that is not the way they usually operate. I have no problem with the change, but not giving people notice and allowing them to rethinking their cruise decisions is a little unfair, and leads to disappointment and unmet expectations.

For sure. If this is the "beginning of the end," then I would really hope RCI would proactively get out in front of this and communicate the change. Unfortunately, that is not the way they usually operate. I have no problem with the change, but not giving people notice and allowing them to rethinking their cruise decisions is a little unfair, and leads to disappointment and unmet expectations.

I do agree, we had flown from UK to Singapore in the knowledge that we would be looking forward to using the CL as we had on her sister ship the Splendor just 4 weeks earlier. To only find out after boarding was a real punch in the gut

Reminds me of a case I read in first year of law school - Jarvis Swan Tours. The guy bought a vacation, the brochure said it was going to be fabulous etc - and it turned out not to be what he was promised at all. Sued, Won. (UK case, Lord Denning). This line of cases are called "spoiled vacation cases". While I know RCI reserves the right to change things, I still wonder.... it just seems so unfair and one sided for them to change things after people have booked under the assumption that they would get something else.

Not very good for customer service is the days with aging demographs, and the highest concentration of wealth in the older demographic, IMHO.

We would go for the most reasonable costing cruise line if we didn´t have access to the Lounge. This is why we stay with RCCL!!!

Had an e-mail today confirming that Diamonds have access to the Lounge.

Only problem I have ever come across with the Lounge, is on the Brilliance. But if I don´t have access on our forthcoming B2B´s, I will go down to deck -3000 and pull the plug and sink the d***n thing!!!:D:D

They may and probably should, restructure the number of cruises required to reach Diamond. But if they don´t grandfather in the present members, there will be a riot!!! However, in this economic climate, I think that they should leave well alone, as it does encourage people to cruise. And the cost of a few drinks is well worth it for the Company to encourage customers to cruise more.

Archived