Are RCCL Removing Conceirge Access for Diamond Members? - Opinions please

Say on a ship carrying 2500 pax u have under 1/3 of them getting free drinks..so 800 pax X .50 each considering lots have more than 1 drink and some none (including mix, cost of breakage etc.), not including the cost of the staff to serve the pax - (yes, they do get paid if only a small amt plus room & board and if serving u they aren't working elsewhere,) totals $400 per nite x 365 days per yr = $146,000 per ship daily & averaging out (some ships carry a lot more than 2500 pax) on all 21 (did I get the count right?) RCL ships totals over $3M per yr...

Even if the amount is only 1/2 that -$1.5M yrly, it is going up every yr because of the increase in Diamond members..& esp at this time when RCL is having to slash fares & lower revenues??

Any amt over a Mil seems like a 'ton of $' to 'moi' but perhaps u consider it 'chump change'! Wish I was u then :)

800 diamond per ship? Please back up these figures you are using.

T

I disagree about what the program cost. They can't be paying more than $5 to $10 a liter for the booze. It probably isn't costing them more than a hundred a ship a night. I would think their cost is closer to $5 a bottle.

I think the main cost is the salary of the concierge and the other employee they have staffing the lounge, not the booze.

I think the access is a very nice perk and makes me feel good about cruising on Royal Caribbean. When booking if all things are equal between several ships then having this perk might incline me to choose RCI, but it would not be the primary reason for booking a particular ship over another, it would be a secondary reason.

Why as you would still have access to the CL?

As posted elsewhere I think that diamonds should not be allowed into the CL (unless they are in a suite) - not fussed if they have a separate area or not (will think the same when I am a diamond very soon).

On our last cruise, mariner 9-08, we were in a GS. The CL was a zoo it was so packed and overcrowded. The poor assistant could not keep up mixing drinks. People were rude and some had short tempers. There was an incident, not sure what happened, but security was questioning different people just outside the lounge, and other people inside were consoling the Concierge saying he did nothing wrong, and "People" like that should not be in the lounge, etc,etc. That was the first night! We were there to introduce ourselves, signed up for ice show tickets, and never went back again for the entire cruise except in the morning for coffee and a light breakfast when no one was around.

They did have a problem and maybe this is a reason for the discussion taking place here on this thread.

Don't know how many Diamond on a sailing but I was on Freedom last December and Liberty the December before, sailings where you would expect a lot of Diamond members and I never saw more than 20 in the Diamond lounge at a time and there were usually less than that at any one time.

I would have to agree that 800 D/D+ on one cruise would be alot even on a C&A member cruise. On our recent cruise on the Liberty, there were fewer than 100 I know this because the concierge told me that they use the overflow whenever there are more than 100 D/D+ members onboard the cruise.

I think the main cost is the salary of the concierge and the other employee they have staffing the lounge, not the booze.

Agree its one of the bigger costs...however that was cut in half a while back. Someone else knows more details on that...

Either way the Concierge will remain...because they can't sell lots of high priced suites on the big ships and take away all of the perks promised and delivered to date. Could they stop D and D+ from using them, sure they could...will they, I sort of doubt it will happen since it is a perk that keeps a lot of folks coming back. Lots of folks have indicated here they would consider other lines if not treated like Royar Returning guests...and at this time I don't think RCCL wants to have to replace more cruisers, even if they spend a few dollars extra on these cruisers...

Lets take a step further into cost calcs... I'd venture a guest as folks become D and D+ they likely to waste as much food in WJ as a new guests who have never cruised before...so the extra cost for the free booze is probably offset by less waste in terms of food and other items they some new cruisers want to check out to the fullest extent. Thus, in the end it is very possible its a wash so providing the perks does exactly as aimed, keep folks loyal at no net extra cost to RCCL.

I'd also guess many folks drink more in CL than they would if paying for each drink. So cutting off CL drinks for many would not necessarily translate into additional bar revenue for the ship, at least not in direct relation to the amount of drinks no longer served.

I disagree about what the program cost. They can't be paying more than $5 to $10 a liter for the booze. It probably isn't costing them more than a hundred a ship a night. I would think their cost is closer to $5 a bottle.

It's not the cost of the booze that is the problem, it is that we are not buying as many drinks. Royal Caribbean must make substantial profit from the drinks they sell and they lose that profit each time they give away a free drink. The waiters and bartenders also do not get their 15% gratuity.

I started cruising in November 2005 and have done 18 cruises - all with Royal Caribbean. The C&A perks are a substantial reason for my loyalty to Royal Caribbean. On my recent Voyager back to back cruise review, I stated the following:

"These were two wonderful cruises and I enjoyed both of them. I have 11 more cruises booked (10 with Royal Caribbean and 1 with Celebrity) so you can see that I like Royal Caribbean. They provide a great product at a great price. The Concierge lounge is certainly a perk that keeps bringing me back. It's not just the free drinks but also the wonderful atmosphere talking to everyone each night."

I would be very disappointed if Royal Caribbean discontinues the Concierge Lounge and it would certainly influence my decision on future cruises.

andrew

Okay, I am going to be totally honest here about the CL. DH and myself would have at least 3 drinks each on any length cruise. What are we saving? You do the math. I am talking liquor and not beer or wine. Yes we do use the other perks of the CL but the coctail hour, truth be told is the main perk.

Is the CL or Diamond lounge important to us…..u betcha! If they do take this perk away then I will definitely look to other cruise lines we have sailed before that is begging for our business. Our OBC, NC,SB and whatever have been reduced.

Just the PRIVILEADGE of getting in the room is a big kick in itself! LOL

Hubby and I cancel out your drinks cost as we don't ever have drinks in the CL. However, I bet our coffee consumption there is a big loss to the Prominade coffee shop.:D

And I totally agree that the Diamond Lounge is very important to us. If we get booted out on a permanent basis in some ill-advised RCI cutback, why should we choose RCI when another line has a better itinerary or price?

RCI's excellent loyalty program shows us regulars that they really appreciate our business. And I appreciate feeling appreciated.

We just became diamond members and are cruising the Radiance in April to South America. What is the conceirge lounge? I take it there are free drinks offered? but only certain times? You can get in if you are in a suite (other than JS) correct, but also Diamond & D+ members are to have access? We are going for my husband's 50th birthday and we were looking forward to the extra perks that come with being a diamond member. Also, how do you get your name in hat to have dinner with Captain?

We have finally made it to diamond status. Up to this point, we haven't even considered booking with another cruise line. In addition, we have convinced our friends and family that Royal Caribbean is the best. Lots of $$$$$ has gone to RCI because of our loyalty. We are disappointed in the removal of the Vitality program and other perks. If the Concierge Lounge goes away for Diamond members, we will no longer be "Loyal to Royal".

On my last cruise we were on Legend and made use of the CL. I'm not a big drinker so had a coke or water but hubby would usually have one screwdriver in the CL before dinner about every other night. We also made use of the CL during the day to access the internet in a quiet location. Most of the WIFI areas onboard tend to get noisy with people during the day. On our cruise there were only about 20 D/D+ members onboard so the CL was very quiet even during cocktail hour. We never had a problem finding a seat or getting drinks. Diego did an fantastic job for us - one of the few staff members who seemed to care about the passengers.

If we didn't have CL access, I don't think we would have drank before dinner in the bars. We only did on this cruise because out table mates were suite guests so we would meet them before dinner for a little social time. Normally I lollygag too much when getting ready for dinner so we arrive at the dining room right when the doors open.

On my Serenade Hawaii 15 night cruise there were 300+ Diamond and 42 Diamond Plus sailing. The Vortex was used as the bar for the free drinks and there were probably a maximum of 100 passengers in the lounge at any one time. I'm sure some were Suite passengers also in that count.

The Concierge told me that was one of the highest numbers of D/D+'s that he had seen outside of a C&A members cruise.

Reggie :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised to read this as we heard about this change coming on our Dec. cruise and that the C & A program may be changed based on the number of days onboard each year instead of using cruise credits like we have now but the change for CL use would be limited to suite guests and D plus. However with the exception of the OP we haven't heard anything definite as of yet so it remains just a rumor for fleetwide.

RCCL is simply running out of room on the ships with all the people making diamond and its true many have done the 3-4 night less expensive cruises in a JS to reach diamond in 5 cruises quickly. It doesn't seem fair to get 2 credits for a 3 night cruise in a JS and the same 2 credits for a JS on a more expensive 9 night cruise but that's the way it is as of now.

In Dec. the CL was packed again on the Ex. and so was the overflow lounge and there were many problems because of that and suite guests were definitely complaining as they couldn't get seats and they were paying for the CL in the price of their suites. It's getting to the point that RCCL will have to dedicate more space for overflow lounges cutting into space that should generate onboard revenue instead. We had over 200 D and D + members on the Dec. cruise and all my 9 and 12 nights average 200 members or more so it is costly for RCCL.

I love the CL in the early morning but will avoid it in the evening if it's too crowded as it's just not worth it to stand in there. We used to really enjoy it in the evening to meet friends there before dinner but it's just too crowded lately to bother with it. We do not cruise RCCL for the CL so if they limit it to suite guests it wouldn't be an issue for us. As far as I know none of the other cruiselines give free drinks to repeat passengers from 5-830 everynight so which cruiseline would people go to that would replace that perk? As for service, the conciege is so overwhelmed with all the suite guests and diamonds now it's impossible to really provide good service to everyone and I hear people complaining about that also on every cruise lately.

Whatever changes they may make you can be sure it will anger some people but I can understand some kind of change will have to be made soon as they are running out of space. A few people suggested being able to show their sea pass card to show C & A status at any bar on the ship from 5-830 to get drinks and I don't know if RCCL would consider that but it would at least cut down on overcrowded CL's. Lots of changes in 2009 and we'll have to wait and see if they change the use of the CL also.

I did use the term 'say' - u know to mean 'what if" and then also halved the total amount which wld lower the count to 400 per nite out of 2500 - not unreasonable IMHO..and of course I did guess at .50 per person - that cld be higher or yes, even lower..

My #s may not be 'bang' on but whatever they are it is still, as I said originally, a lot of $...

As others have mentioned on this thread, with there getting to be more & more Ds, something will have to go and it just may be the 'free' drinks...As Aqhacruiser said - if u don't like losing an RCL perk, where else will u go to get it?

Have happy cruisin'!

Well but in this case with the removing of the CL on the Legend for Asia we shouldn´t forget one thing. To my knowledge RCCL never said anywhere, online or in their printed brochures, that Legend of the Seas even as a CL. Yes we on CC know that it has been there in the place of the Card Room and I myself enjoyed Diego as the Concierge in there, but RCCL never promised it to be there at all.

I have a deck plan showing not the library but "Conceirge Lounge" and when I booked I e-mail RCCL and asked if the Legend had CL and they replied yes.

Bill,

To answer your questions. Neither Suite guests nor Diamond had a CL, as there was none.

The comment that this would happen fleetwide was quoted to me by Adrian Fernandez the Guest Services Manager on Board.

I did not make assumptions or generalizations, I am merely reporting what a senior onboard official told me.

Derek

I may have expressed myself poorly Patrick, but it does seem to me that everytime this rumor resurfaces, there is a kneejerk reaction by some to believe it unequivocally without weighing the credibility of the source of the rumor. My only reason for posting was to suggest that we might wait until we have more solid evidence before believing everything we read on these boards. This thread for example cites an instance involving the reconversion of the CL on the Legend of the Seas to a card room during its time in Asia and cites this as proof that Diamond and Diamond Plus members are about to lose CL access fleetwide. Nowhere does he mention that if the CL on the Legend was turned into a card room, suite guests were also without CL access nor does he warn that a similar fate awaits suite guests on the rest of the ships in the fleet.

Neither you or I know with certainty, what will happen in the future and it may well turn out that your view that it is almost inevitable is correct. If so, you won't be surprised and I will be disappointed. It won't be the first time that you were correct and I was wrong.;) :)

RC seems to be removing all enjoyable aspects of cruising from there ships. Bad customer service, poor food, just simply put "Wasted Money". And I am a Diamond Plus member. I cruise somewhere between 3 and 6 times per year and have eliminated RC as an option.

I maybe upset at RCL corp for all the changes they are making and some of the take aways they have done recently but I can seperate corp from the cruise experience with rcl. I have never had bad service, nor poor food on an RCL ship, We sail twice a year on RCL and in every class of ship and I have to say in all those cruises service has always been great, food is subjective but never left any of our cruises saying the food was poor. I fell you made the right decision for yourself since you are so unhappy with their product.

Some of you are saying that it isn't fair to get a cruise credit for a 3 nt. sailing. Why not? My money isn't as good or spends as well as those that take a 7 nt. cruise? My schedule only permits me to be away short periods of time. Am I being a argumentative?, Yes!!!! But, that is how the program was established. Will it change? More than likely, it will be tweaked.

We have cruised with Royal, and not just for the perks. We have had good food (I am not a connesuir) and service and enjoyable times on our cruises. I can live with most of the cutbacks that have bben recently applied, but if they were to deny access to the CL, I would have definitely look at other lines.:mad:

We have finally made it to diamond status. Up to this point, we haven't even considered booking with another cruise line. In addition, we have convinced our friends and family that Royal Caribbean is the best. Lots of $$$$$ has gone to RCI because of our loyalty. We are disappointed in the removal of the Vitality program and other perks. If the Concierge Lounge goes away for Diamond members, we will no longer be "Loyal to Royal".

We're right there with you......

Some of you are saying that it isn't fair to get a cruise credit for a 3 nt. sailing. Why not? My money isn't as good or spends as well as those that take a 7 nt. cruise? My schedule only permits me to be away short periods of time. Am I being a argumentative?, Yes!!!! But, that is how the program was established. Will it change? More than likely, it will be tweaked.

We have cruised with Royal, and not just for the perks. We have had good food (I am not a connesuir) and service and enjoyable times on our cruises. I can live with most of the cutbacks that have bben recently applied, but if they were to deny access to the CL, I would have definitely look at other lines.:mad:

I always thought if a 7 day is worth 1 credit and a 12 day is worth 2 credits, then a 3 day should only be worth 1/2 a credit. Or if a 3 day is worth 1 credit, then a 7 day should be worth 2 and a 12 day should be worth 3! And they should double the requirement to get to Platnium, Diamond and Diamond +.

I always thought if a 7 day is worth 1 credit and a 12 day is worth 2 credits, then a 3 day should only be worth 1/2 a credit. Or if a 3 day is worth 1 credit, then a 7 day should be worth 2 and a 12 day should be worth 3! And they should double the requirement to get to Platnium, Diamond and Diamond +.

I agree with that...as on Celebrity, seems that there is also a disparity between an inside cabin paing $599 and a Royal Suite paying $5999 and only getting a double credit...Just pay for what you want and then you won't be disappointed. Working angles to get stuff for free will just lead to frustration. OR--convert to NCL as their high end product is much better than RCI/Celebrity. (RCI/Celebrity are better on the low end rooms)

Is it true that on the Freedom class (where they have D/D+ lounges) you do not have access to the CL unless you are in a suite? I don't think that is right! I think the only answer is to make it harder to reach the different levels!

Indeed true as Gordon stated but the Diamond/Diam + lounge is much nicer IMO having just recently experienced it on Liberty.

I have only been Diamond for a short time and have only enjoyed the benefit of CL/Diamond Lounge twice. My first on Explorer was less than stellar but the experience on Liberty was wonderful. We would enjoy a couple of glasses of wine before dinner but more than the complimentary drinks was the commraderie and friendliness of the people you meet in there. For us that is what made it a great perk especially on the Freedom class ships.

It will not be a deal breaker for sailing with RCI but will be missed as a place to meet fellow cruisers. So a rumour for now and of course will stay tuned to CC for the latest breaking news on this front.:)

I have recently returned from a Christmas and New Year Cruise in SE Aisia on the Legend of the Seas.

As a Diamond member, one of the pleasures for me cruising with RCCL is the Concierge access.

Many ships have dedicated lounges and some have had other rooms such as the Library converted.

Imagine my horror when arriving to be told that the library had been converted back into a public room only 2 weeks earlier on the Legend.

I spoke with the Guest Services Manager, who appologised by offering a single bottle of wine. Although he also stated that the removal of Concierge facilities for all non suite guests (Diamond and Diamond+) will be rolling out fleet wide from January. This fact was confirmed later in the cruise by the F&B Manager.

Has anyone else heard or experienced this withdrawal of Concierge access and what do you think about it?

No the CL is not being removed for Diamond or D+ members.

Archived