Are RCCL Removing Conceirge Access for Diamond Members? - Opinions please

I absolutly get what you are saying but right wrong or indifferent-suite/concierge class travelers are used to perks like this.

I would not put all suite passengers in the same bag. Sure there are those that always travel in suites but I know many who only book suites for a special occasions like an anniversary, honeymoon or as a special treat.

Do they check ID of those in the seats NOT marked for suites to ensure they are not sitting in the wrong spot? You know they are going to sit where they please especially if it is a prime location. Just curious.

They were checking to make sure that those in the roped area were suite guest. If you didn't bring your pass you had to go get it.

The area they had was next to the steps going down from the Sky Bar to the Pool Bar.

The morning and evening lounges are very important to me. It took me a long time to become a Diamond Member. On Jewel/Brilliance I love going into the small lounge in the morning for quiet, making my own coffee and eating lightly.

And I enjoy drinking at night in the Hollywood Odyssey/Concierge Lounge.

It really becomes a family every night. And we were on a TA on Jewel in November 2007 and there were never more than 50 people between 7p and 830p.

I just got back from the Solstice and really missed the Concierge Lounge. We drank in a different lounge every night, it was expensive, and we never really got to know people.

Next January 2010 I am sailing alone on Brilliance and I would be bummed on the Solstice. But I look forward to making new friends in the Concierge Lounges.

When you think of how many Diamond members there are, to me the numbers in the concierge lounges are small.

I would be very upset if Royal Caribbean did away with this benefit.

I might as well sail Celebrity then.

Alan

Wow... this thread has been quite a read hah.

I'll just simply add (in case anyone at RCI is reading this thread making tally marks) that if we as Diamond members no longer have access to the concierge lounge I am far less likely to cruise Royal in the future. Without the concierge perks, the "appreciation" I get from Royal is no greater than what I get for being a platinum member on Carnival... and there I get better food and a less expensive cruise to boot. Hmm... maybe it's finally time to give Princess a try too, I've heard nice things from some extended family members.

Why do I feel like Royal is cutting off its nose to spite its face? As if their stupidity in building TWO Oasis Class ships in this economic climate isn't enough, spitting in the face of their most loyal cruises will SURELY put them out of business.

That's just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to anyone on this thread who feels otherwise!

They were checking to make sure that those in the roped area were suite guest. If you didn't bring your pass you had to go get it.

The area they had was next to the steps going down from the Sky Bar to the Pool Bar.

The area with stairs on either side in front of the Sky Bar?

Why do I feel like Royal is cutting off its nose to spite its face? As if their stupidity in building TWO Oasis Class ships in this economic climate isn't enough, spitting in the face of their most loyal cruises will SURELY put them out of business.

Keep in mind that no change has been made or announced.

The Oasis class ships which I look forward to sailing on and will book --- were ordered before the current economic climate.

This suite lounge guaranteed availablility only bothers me if they allow the chair hogs to continue in other locations. I'd like to see a timer built into all lounge chairs. After 30 minutes the chair should tip it's contents into a pit and the chair hogs can go claim their items in a reservior below. :D Suite guests or otherwise. :rolleyes:

Gina

You go girl !!!!!

It's as you are walking down the steps from Sky Bar to Pool Bar where it is tiered.

So it is the area in this picture....right?

http://chasfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6858956_jesMa#438684483_cqFHy

I don't think they did that on Freedom this past December but if it is that area I would not be annoyed as it is set off.

Wow... this thread has been quite a read hah.

I'll just simply add (in case anyone at RCI is reading this thread making tally marks) that if we as Diamond members no longer have access to the concierge lounge I am far less likely to cruise Royal in the future. Without the concierge perks, the "appreciation" I get from Royal is no greater than what I get for being a platinum member on Carnival... and there I get better food and a less expensive cruise to boot. Hmm... maybe it's finally time to give Princess a try too, I've heard nice things from some extended family members.

Why do I feel like Royal is cutting off its nose to spite its face?

The one thing we are forgetting here, is that this hasn't happened. I think we are really just discussing now the "what if" we don't have access to a DL. Some are getting a little heated over it & maybe a little angry prematurely.

Hopefully RCCL has been around long enough to know that taking it away would really hurt them. My DH & I are pretty big drinkers so the DL helps a little, but my bar bill is still a biggie !!! :eek:

Whether or not a passenger chooses to book a suite is entirely up to them. But to say that suite passengers do not wish to mix with others either implies that no one else is worthy or that suite passengers are such snobs that you have question why they are on RCL in the first place and not on a more high end line that will treat them royally.

If providing free drinks is the best that RCL can do, that is really not such a great perk for non drinkers. As others have stated, cutting back access to the CL will only result in less liquore sales on board since the passengers are only drinking because it is free.

Now if RCL would choose to offer daily tea service, free laundry perks, free/reduced internet fees, guaranteed seats at speciality restaurants, special seating for the shows, special return gift, reduced deposits, etc. that would be something worth paying the higher prices for a suite.

Other cruise lines are lowering fares to fill up their ships. RCL is not, but they are trying to find everyway they can to lessen their original product. Newbies will not notice but repeat passengers will. Can RCL afford the gamble that there will be enough newbies to fill up their ships and let the repeat passengers be damned? If so, then they will lose a lot more than they gain both in money and reputation. Word of mouth is louder and reaches more potential passengers than any paid ads can. Whoever is "whispering" in RCL's ear (be it the CPA's) is giving them the wrong info. They need every passenger they can get or else they cannot continue to stay in business.

MARAPRINCE

You say other cruise lines are lowering their prices and RCI is not? Have any facts to back up this statement?

I would not put all suite passengers in the same bag. Sure there are those that always travel in suites but I know many who only book suites for a special occasions like an anniversary, honeymoon or as a special treat.

I humbly nod to you on that.

Did not mean to lump them all into the same box. :o

So it is the area in this picture....right?

http://chasfotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6858956_jesMa#438684483_cqFHy

I don't think they did that on Freedom this past December but if it is that area I would not be annoyed as it is set off.

No, that area is right in front of the Sky Bar. The lounges that are roped off are on the tiered part as you are walking down the steps.

I was thinking we could have some "fun" :D in SA but now that I think about it, there will be no chair hogs. It'll be COOOOLD. Maybe.

(Being manual timers, I mean) LOL

Gina

Not so Bean Person!!! :D It'll be warm in BA and for the first few ports then progressively cooler round the Horn becoming warmer as we travel north again. Sooooooo ever done any cow tipping.;)

Some of you are saying that it isn't fair to get a cruise credit for a 3 nt. sailing. Why not? My money isn't as good or spends as well as those that take a 7 nt. cruise? My schedule only permits me to be away short periods of time. Am I being a argumentative?, Yes!!!! But, that is how the program was established. Will it change? More than likely, it will be tweaked.

We have cruised with Royal, and not just for the perks. We have had good food (I am not a connesuir) and service and enjoyable times on our cruises. I can live with most of the cutbacks that have bben recently applied, but if they were to deny access to the CL, I would have definitely look at other lines.:mad:

The issue is it should not be a full cruise credit. The 2 and 3 day cruises are at least half the price of the 5 -7 day cruise. If you consider it's half the price - 1/2 a cruise credit.

The program is definitely going to e changed and we weill have to wait and see if they plan on recalculating C & A members based on the "new program." Some will win and some will lose.

And how long do you think it would take for some people to game your system and find a way to attain higher C&A levels that might not seem fair to others? No matter what system you devise there will be those who think that it is unfair (thirty days cruised in an interior room or at a discounted rate as opposed to thirty days in an oceanview, balcony stateroom or suite at higher per diems for example)? The reality is that the system was created by Royal Caribbean executives and whether or not we think it is the fairest or best system, it is really their call and not ours. :rolleyes:

Evidently the rumor is is that RC is mulling over changes - these days the changes are to reduce costs. This is my opinion on how they will do it. Other cruise lines have not had their loyalty programs grow as fast as Royal's did and the reason being is that other lines base it on the number of days.

I had heard a rumor about this on my December trip on the Brilliance.

I spoke with the Loyalty Ambassador and she told me she had heard the same rumor, but her email to the home office stated that RCI had no intention of doing this.

I personally think that the C&A people/ship Loyalty Ambassacor will be the last to know.

Besides the obvious, those people are booking cruises and shooting for Diamond level will rethink their plans if RCI is taking away all the perks.

We became diamond in Nov-Dec 07 on both b2b Italy and Transatlantic on the Legend OTS. I noticed that the lounge was crowded but everyone

could be seated. In September of 08 we were on the Adventure OTS. The lounge was very crowded (standing room only) about every night. It became apparent that something would have to change as more and more people attained D/D+ status. Either move the lounge to a bigger room or revamp the program. Some people feel that they as suite guest pay the big bucks should not bump heads with the masses known as D/D+.

I kinda agree with this. I have never booked a suite. I believe the Diamond could or should have another gathering place. What perks would you like for this that is not up to CL standard? Than after X (more than 10 less than 30) number of cruisies you become eligible for CL. I think you have to grandfather the existing members in.

Evidently the rumor is is that RC is mulling over changes - these days the changes are to reduce costs. This is my opinion on how they will do it. Other cruise lines have not had their loyalty programs grow as fast as Royal's did and the reason being is that other lines base it on the number of days.

I think the reason for the growth in the Crown and Anchor society has more to do with the benefits that RCI offers than with the way which RCI has established for us to qualify for the higher levels. It isn't so much that RCI makes it easier to achieve the higher C&A levels as it is that the benefits are more attractive and thus worth the effort or cost required to move up within the group. That may be why many feel that it will be necessary to reduce or eliminate some of those benefits or raise the requirements to reach higher levels. I understand your thoughts about changing the method of calculating membership levels but only want to point out that no matter what method is used, some will consider it unfair while others will figure out a way to achieve those higher levels with the minimum amount of effort, in my terms "gaming" the system. :)

It might be nice to have separate lounges for suite passengers and diamond members as they do on Freedom and Oasis class ships, but it is not that easy to do on ships already built and with less public space that can be converted easily to fill the need for a Diamond lounge. If it were easy and inexpensive there would have been, at a minimum, concierge lounges on all of the Vision class ships instead of the three (counting the Legend) that have them. Still even two lounges can be inadequate to handle the large numbers of diamond and diamond plus members you will sometimes find on a particular cruise. For that reason they often open up a satellite lounge (or two) for cocktail hour.:)

IMHO Royal Caribbean will be forced to do "something" because of the number of D and D+ members that are onboard most of their fleet.

There has been talk of changing the D/D+ program for well over a year.......on this forum, and yet nothing has changed.

The D/D+ members may be pleasantly surprised at what RCL will do. I believe that they do understand the loyalty program.........and that is exactly why they have not made changed as of yet.

Rick

I think the reason for the growth in the Crown and Anchor society has more to do with the benefits that RCI offers than with the way which RCI has established for us to qualify for the higher levels. It isn't so much that RCI makes it easier to achieve the higher C&A levels as it is that the benefits are more attractive and thus worth the effort or cost required to move up within the group. That may be why many feel that it will be necessary to reduce or eliminate some of those benefits or raise the requirements to reach higher levels. I understand your thoughts about changing the method of calculating membership levels but only want to point out that no matter what method is used, some will consider it unfair while others will figure out a way to achieve those higher levels with the minimum amount of effort, in my terms "gaming" the system. :)

Some people will win and some will lose. Each member then has a decision to make. I have never had a bad cruise and have cruise four different lines. My preference is crusing from NY and both Celebrity and Royal offer that. I then look at the itinerary - finally comes the price and perks.

If I lose with the new revamped system - it will just cost me a couple of free drinks.

Archived