Oceania's Mediterranean Ports - Tender or Dock? Please add to list!

ShopperfiendTO

NOTE: This is for the R-Class ships (i.e., Insignia, Nautica, Regatta) only. The Marina-Class ship(s) will need a thread of its (their) own.

Haven't seen one recently, so thought I'd start one because it's helpful for trip planning. While tendering on Oceania isn't too bad, it does take some time out of the day due to having to cue etc. I thought about starting this in the Mediterranean ports section, but this is specialized for O's smaller ships.

I'll start with my recent experience:

Venice - dock

Dubrovnik - tender (right into Old Town)

Kotor - dock (right next Old Town :D)

Corfu - dock (plu$ taxi to Old Town)

Taormina - tender (plu$ taxi to Old Town :()

Sorrento - tender (plus steps up to town, though we had a free shuttle provided by O?)

Amalfi - tender (right next to Old Town)

Livorno - dock (plu$ excur$ion to Florence/anywhere)

Civitavecchia - dock (plu$ excur$ion to Rome/anywhere)

La Spezia - tender (right into town, plus nice 15-20 minute walk to train $tation to get to Cinque Terre)

Portofino - tender (right into Old Town)

Can anyone tell me what it is for the following :D?

- Naples

- Olbia/Porto Cervo (Sardinia)

- Genoa

- Monte Carlo

- Marseille

- Palma de Mallorca

Dubrovnik: We tendered into the Old City, but then the seas got rough and the ship had to move. Oceania bussed us to the new port, where the ship was docked.

Naples: We docked; although we were supposed to tneder in Amalfi that day.

Palma de Mallorca: We docked, took a 15 minute walk, and then a bus into town.

Short ride, only about five minutes, but a taxi cabal so 10 Euros charged by every taxi driver; no exceptions.

This is true.

But before you get into a cab, see if there are any postings at the port terminal that indicate that there is a reduced fare back to the port. We saw this mentioned in "The Currents" but it didn't actually pan out in reality for us. I don't know if we were duped (on the ride back) or if the note in "The Currents" is incorrect.

I tend to think we were duped (well, all of the passengers who took the cab) because with the meter it would have been around 6 (no more than 7 - it's a pretty quick ride) Euros to the Old Town and it's not like you're lugging baggage back and forth for the driver to warrant any type of tip/bonus.

Dubrovnik can depend on port and weather conditions. Day we arrived there were a lot of ships and rough seas. We anchored off the new port (so far out the only ship anchored beyond us was a U.S. Navy destroyer on a port call) and had a long (15-20 minutes), bumpy tender ride to dock in new port. There was a public bus to the old town from there (10 minutes) as well as cabs. Stay flexible and have fun!

Thanks OceaniaBuffs, but I can't locate the edit button on my first post.:confused:

The board FAQs state that it's up to the administrators if editing is permissible?

Can I Edit My Own Posts?If you have registered, you will be able to edit and delete your posts. Note that the administrator can disable this ability as he desires. Your ability to edit your posts may also be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.

To edit your posts, click the edit.gif button by the post you want to edit.

After you have made your modifications, a note may appear, which notifies other users that you have edited your post. Administrators and moderators may also edit your messages but this note may not appear when they do so.

Thanks OceaniaBuffs, but I can't locate the edit button on my first post.:confused:

The board FAQs state that it's up to the administrators if editing is permissible?

You can only edit your post for about 20 minutes after you post it

NOTE: This is for the R-Class ships (i.e., Insignia, Nautica, Regatta) only. The Marina-Class ship(s) will need a thread of its (their) own.

- Monte Carlo

- Marseille

- Palma de Mallorca

They are all docking ports:D

Mykonos can also be a tender. The harbor master there apparently decides when the first ship arrives. Only enough room for one ship to dock. When we were there we tendered and that dropped us off right near where they sell the fish in the morning.

Mykonos dock

ClaudiaF, I see you are off to Carnival in Rio. Is it by ship?

Amazingly enough, there is still space on Radiance of the Seas which docks in Rio for 3 days during Carnival this year. Another sign of the poor economy. I would have expected that cruise to sell out for sure.

Dave

Archived