P&O Names fourth vessel

woodscruise

P&O Cruises has just announced that the next ship to join its fleet will be named Pacific Pearl and will commence Australasian itineraries at the end of 2010.

The cruise line said details of voyages were currently being finalised, with cruises set to go on sale from March.

The 2000-passenger Pacific Pearl is a sister ship to incoming superliner Pacific Jewel, which joins the fleet in December.

Carnival Australia ceo Ann Sherry said Pacific Pearl had been chosen as the name "because it evokes these wonderful and tropical images of the places we visit."

Pearl is currently sailing as Ocean Village in the UK and will undergo a refurbishment before its new deployment.

Copy from cruise weekly breaking news.

Regards

Michael

Hi Topaz M

Well done on choosing the name of the new Pacific baby.(Pacific Pearl)

That would be nice if they shouted you a free cruise or even an special VIP invite for its opening since you named it technically.:)

NikkiC

And the winner is .......... ME!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=887876&highlight=pacific+pearl

Now .. do you think P&O would give me a free cruise ... would be nice .. and I'd write up a great review ;)

Moira :)

Well done, the name does fit in with us Aussies and our "slang"

"She's a Pearler" meaning beautiful there is nothing around to beat her etc.

Well that's my understanding of the saying - someone else may have a different view.

P&O Cruises has just announced that the next ship to join its fleet will be named Pacific Pearl and will commence Australasian itineraries at the end of 2010.

The cruise line said details of voyages were currently being finalised, with cruises set to go on sale from March.

The 2000-passenger Pacific Pearl is a sister ship to incoming superliner Pacific Jewel, which joins the fleet in December.

Carnival Australia ceo Ann Sherry said Pacific Pearl had been chosen as the name "because it evokes these wonderful and tropical images of the places we visit."

Pearl is currently sailing as Ocean Village in the UK and will undergo a refurbishment before its new deployment.

Regards

Michael

Another NEW - OLD ship for us, also a sister ship to Pacific Dawn ex Regal Princess right?

Would have been built around 1991 then. No doubt she will be as good as new with a multi million dollar refit. Carnival spent A$40 million on Regal Princess on refit as Pacific Dawn.

And the winner is .......... ME!!!!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=887876&highlight=pacific+pearl

Now .. do you think P&O would give me a free cruise ... would be nice .. and I'd write up a great review ;)Moira :)

Congratulations Moira.....

A great choice

If this is the Ocean Village, which I think it currently is, then in it's previous lives it's names have been:

Arcadia, Star Princess and Fair Majesty. The tonnage is 63,524, and it first entered service in March 1987.

Regards

Michael

Is the Dawn leaving :confused: she just got here.. hmm 2010 maybe that means i can do that new years cruise on her.. hope the price doesnt go up

If your talking about the Pacific Dawn, then no is not leaving P&O Aust, she’s possibly changing home ports that’s all.

She's already being called the 'black pearl' around our house, Capt. Jack accent and all. Not all that excited about the name, I mean isn't a pearl regarded as a jewel anyway. Doesn't sort of go with the rest of the P & O family of ships. I guess the next ones will be Diamond or Sapphire etc. etc. like elsewhere.

From the initial P&O announcement regard the 2 OV vessels, it is fair to assume that Pacifical Pearl will be largely based in Auckland. Don't mind the name, at least we won't be confused like we are with Pacific Sun and Sun Princess and Pacific Dawn and Dawn Princess. Looks like P&O are copying NCL's names with Peral and Jewel so future ships could include Pacific Gem and Pacific Jade.

:confused::confused:

Regards

Michael

" incoming superliner Pacific Pearl........" :confused::confused::confused::confused:

If this is the Ocean Village, which I think it currently is, then in it's previous lives it's names have been:

Arcadia, Star Princess and Fair Majesty. The tonnage is 63,524, and it first entered service in March 1987.

Regards

Michael

If it is 65,000 tonnes it is not a sister ship to Pacific Dawn. That class is 70,000 tonnes from memory and they were built in Italy in 1990-91. HOWEVER I think the Pacific Pearl is Ocean Village 2 which is a sister ship of Pacific Dawn - Ex Regal Princess. She is a 70,000 tonner, built in Italy for Sitmar, got the dome and everything. I think I am right on the money!

If it is 65,000 tonnes it is not a sister ship to Pacific Dawn. That class is 70,000 tonnes from memory and they were built in Italy in 1990-91. HOWEVER I think the Pacific Pearl is Ocean Village 2 which is a sister ship of Pacific Dawn - Ex Regal Princess. She is a 70,000 tonner, built in Italy for Sitmar, got the dome and everything. I think I am right on the money!

Someone provided Wikipedia links the other day - all three ships were commissioned by Sitmar, with the Pac Dawn and Pac Jewel design based on the Pac Pearl, which is a few years older. So Pac Pearl was the prototype of the class, I guess.

Dawn and Jewel were under construction when Carnival (?) bought Sitmar.

Archived