Baby ONBOARD!!! help.

Iluvjo

Leave baby with the grandparents for some "bonding" time, and take yourselves on that much-needed cruise! Baby will survive, and parents will be relaxed and happy!

Bonding with the grandparents at two months old? Are you serious? How about continuing to bond with the parents at two months old? And do you think the grandparents really want to take on the risk of taking a two month old child while "the kids" have themselves a nice vacation? Consider this--the dependent group life insurance rates for a child from birth to 6 months are extremely high, and that's because of the mortality rates.

Like other posters have dared to suggest, the OP should be willing to make a bit of a sacrifice. And, if he thinks they need a vacation now, just wait until the kid is in his/her teens!

I took our daughter on a trip to a resort in Arizona when she was 5 weeks old. Her grandfather was receiving an honor and the entire family was there so I didn't really choose the trip. It was exhausting, I still hadn't fully recovered from her birth (although it was an all natural birth and I thought the recovery was quick, the lack of sleep is a hard adjustment). There are just too many things that you need to do to travel with kids (I breastfed which you would think makes it easy but still..). Enjoy the new weeks at home.

As much as I love babies, I sure wouldn't want to be in the stateroom next to a baby that has just awakened for it's middle-of-the-night feedings. :eek: Their schedule is just getting to the point of being routine, and then you go and disrupt it with staying in strange surroundings.

I agree.... we're cruising on LOS in May - and the LAST thing we want on our vacation is to hear a baby wailing in the middle of the night from the cabin next door!

We're parents - but our daughter is now 20 and in college. We didn't take her on vacation trips (other than to visit relatives) until she was about a year old. We took her on a cruise with us when she had just turned 5 - she was old enough to really enjoy herself AND remember the trip.

I have 2 comments.

1. You haven't had the baby yet...trust those of us that know...there is no way you will be up for a cruise with a 2 month old baby. Most mom's are barely returned to work at that time.

2. When the baby is born, book a cruise for when the baby is 6 months old. You'll be ready then...the baby will be settled and you'll be comfortable with your new baby.

I have 2 comments.

1. You haven't had the baby yet...trust those of us that know...there is no way you will be up for a cruise with a 2 month old baby. Most mom's are barely returned to work at that time.

2. When the baby is born, book a cruise for when the baby is 6 months old. You'll be ready then...the baby will be settled and you'll be comfortable with your new baby.

Great advice and I agree with you 100%, speaking from a dad and grandpa's viewpoint that is.

Actually, why was it necessary. The OP asked a question, got the answer and then asked how to close the thread down since the answer was given. The OP seemed to understand just fine without the rudeness.

Am I to understand that the way to inform someone of something, including about babies is to berate them. Life is an education. We are all being educated every day. We are all teachers and we are all students. Having knowledge of a topic, even one that is thought to be "common sense" is not a license to be rude to someone asking a question. You can teach, or you can condemn. But how you handle your teacher role is also a reflection of yourself.

He was also given the answer by RCI before he started this thread. But he still asked about lying about the baby's age. So obviously he doesn't get it.

He was also given the answer by RCI before he started this thread. But he still asked about lying about the baby's age. So obviously he doesn't get it.

dockman, what about this in post number 7 makes you say the OP doesn't get it, "how do i end this post? i have heard what i really wanted to hear thankyou all".

These boards are filled with posts on how people have scooted around one rule or another and dare I say that perhaps even some posters on this very thread have done something to scoot around one rule or another. I stand by my comment that rudeness was not the way to answer the question.

Wow, you guys... did you miss the part where OP came back and said thanks, and she'd heard enough? She obviously has reconsidered, or at the very least, is thinking about it. Post # 7 is hers.

You're right. The OP will most likely be re-thinking a lot of things by the time the baby is born. If she has a c-section, if she is breast feeding, if her baby is still waking multiple times per night, if she has post partum blues, etc., she may not even want to go on a cruise. No way to know until the time comes...

I just want to thank all of you for a good read!! Amazing how everyone thinks they are right. Very interesting how rude some people are, and you do see exactly this while on a cruise, sad, very sad. Rude people that is :confused: Judge yourself, not others.

Leave baby with the grandparents for some "bonding" time, and take yourselves on that much-needed cruise! Baby will survive, and parents will be relaxed and happy!
Maybe grandma doesn't want a 2mo. old baby for a week....thats a lot to ask.

Wait until after the baby is born before you decide anything. I know when my children were two months old, I was still never sleeping :eek:, and in no way, shape, or form, in a condition to go on a vacation (although i desperately needed it! :D).

I felt the same way.

Another thing to consider (unless it was brought up above) is that the due dates are often estimates. Some babies come early (one reason why mothers-to-be that are beyond 24 or so weeks aren't allowed to cruise) and some come late. My girl was almost a week late.

I would recommend waiting until after the baby is born and then plan a cruise for when the baby is 9 months or so. That way you can see how he or she sleeps and judge for yourself how you are at lugging all the stuff you need to lug around just for a day trip.

We didn't cruise with our kids until they were teenagers. Our "vacations" with them tended to be staying with family and visiting local attractions until they were out of diapers. But different strokes for different folks.

I will say that every mom-with-a-baby I've seen on a cruise looked exhausted, and was NOT having a vacation. Given the great programs they have for tots on cruises, I'd do the grandparent thing if you need to get away, and start bringing baby when the diapers are a memory.

Agreed, for the most part. If you have kids, you need to take them to the great attractions in the USA. There are a ton of National Parks, Historical Locations and Amusement parks. Not only will your kids grow to understand how and why this country was formed but it will also boost the economy of the USA. When you are kid-less, then go on cruises and all-inclusive resorts, etc.

Heck, vacation didn't even enter my mind. It was too much of a joy being a new daddy.

To the OP: wait with a cruise. Enjoy your new bundle for a while. If you think you are in need of vacation now wait til that little 'sucker' starts walking and talking. Your troubles are just beginning...and they get worse. LMAO.

True, the last thing I thought about when my precious children were born, was going on a vacation. Now, with two of my three adult children back and living at home temporarily, plus planning a wedding for my middle child, I am ready for a vacation now! :) :eek: :)

I just realized that it was the husband asking about taking a cruise. lol

I thought it was the wife asking the question. She probably doesn't even know DH started this thread. :D

Also, the DH stated that there was a special cruise going out of his area, and he and his DW were in need of a cruise. He probably wanted to take advantage of a cruise leaving from his area, and perhaps a good advertised rate. I think he just got caught up in the moment, wasn't thinking straight, and obviously doesn't know what is ahead of him as a new parent. ;)

Perhaps we should give him the benefit of a doubt and respect his wishes to let this thread die.

I totally understand how you feel. We had (i repeat had) a trip to Cancun scheduled for this coming Thanksgiving. Im due in August, and the baby would have been 3 months old. We scheduled a land vacation because we knew we couldnt take a RCCL cruise, like we normally do, because of the strict 6 month rule.

BUT ... after this board, and another timeshare board, and speaking with my ped doc, and the state department, we cancelled the cancun vacation.

here is why:

1. the baby's birth certificate might take a few months, AND the passport might take a few months. No way to know if you would have the passport in time.

2. according to every doctor i spoke with, and the state department, taking a baby who was 3 month old out of the country was irresponsible. medical care is NOT up to US Standards in foreign countries. Do you really want to be out of the country with a sick baby?

3. vaccinations - the baby wont have all its vaccinations in time for out of country travel either. yes, Im breastfeeding, so the baby would be better off than if it was bottle/formula fed, but still not good enough.

SO ... We are now going to Ft Lauderdale for the same week with the baby. And after I made that decision, I knew it was the right one, because I was SOOO relieved. I was no longer worrying about vaccinations, and dengue fever, and drinking/pool water. I wasnt worrying about foreign hospitals, and the baby getting sick.

PLUS, my OBGYN and Ped doc were SO happy we made that choice. I actually called 3 ped docs, and all of them agreed, no out of country for 6 months.

I think you guys can take just as nice of vacation somewhere warm here in the states. Or even hawaii. :)

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Congratulations krmlaw! You sound like you did your homework. :)

I am still scratching my head about how the obviously, less than a month old baby, was traveling on the Liberty with us last August. Every time I saw the baby, he/she was being held by someone that looked like the grandmother. AND, it was crying! The poor thing was still shrivelled up, and had cradle cap, like it was a newborn. I don't know, maybe the mother came onboard pregnant and had the baby without anyone knowing. :rolleyes: Can't figure out how the baby was allowed onboard without a birth certificate, visa or passport, not to mention the RCCL rules! The family was with a large group from Venezuela.

how do i end this post? i have heard what i really wanted to hear thankyou all.

Sorry this has taken on a life of its own. Your best bet is to email one of the moderators and ask them to remove or at least lock the topic.

It appears to me too many of our "friends" are ready to take you and have your child removed from your care as soon as it is born because you asked a very naive question.

Good luck.

I totally understand how you feel. We had (i repeat had) a trip to Cancun scheduled for this coming Thanksgiving. Im due in August, and the baby would have been 3 months old. We scheduled a land vacation because we knew we couldnt take a RCCL cruise, like we normally do, because of the strict 6 month rule.

BUT ... after this board, and another timeshare board, and speaking with my ped doc, and the state department, we cancelled the cancun vacation.

here is why:

1. the baby's birth certificate might take a few months, AND the passport might take a few months. No way to know if you would have the passport in time.

2. according to every doctor i spoke with, and the state department, taking a baby who was 3 month old out of the country was irresponsible. medical care is NOT up to US Standards in foreign countries. Do you really want to be out of the country with a sick baby?

3. vaccinations - the baby wont have all its vaccinations in time for out of country travel either. yes, Im breastfeeding, so the baby would be better off than if it was bottle/formula fed, but still not good enough.

SO ... We are now going to Ft Lauderdale for the same week with the baby. And after I made that decision, I knew it was the right one, because I was SOOO relieved. I was no longer worrying about vaccinations, and dengue fever, and drinking/pool water. I wasnt worrying about foreign hospitals, and the baby getting sick.

PLUS, my OBGYN and Ped doc were SO happy we made that choice. I actually called 3 ped docs, and all of them agreed, no out of country for 6 months.

I think you guys can take just as nice of vacation somewhere warm here in the states. Or even hawaii. :)

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Ah...the voice of responsible parenting! How refreshing. Congrats on the arrival of your summer baby.

I have 4 kids, ranging in age from 12 to 5 1/2. I would NEVER take my child out of the country at that age, EVER. Too many risky things. 2 of my children were born with asthma (well shortly after being born it reared its ugly head) and we have had to rush them to the ER for serious asthma attacks. There is also RSV which is very dangerous to babies. What if they child is born early? You can never know.. my 1st child was born at 33wks totally by accident.. he just came!

I did take my youngest to Disney when he was 5wk old. We expected him to be about 8wk at the time because all my other kids were preemies but this guy hung on. We also drove and stayed in a condo. We had access to good medical care if need be. I even found a ped down there that took our insurance and faxed my sons records ahead of time, JUST IN CASE, since we were spending 2wk there. We never needed any kind of care for him or my other kids and we did well.. but with children, babies ESPECIALLY, you just never know what CAN happen.

I totally get the needing a cruise. I have 4 young kids, work FT in a psych hospital and I am going to school to become an RN, but there will be time for that later

I just want to thank all of you for a good read!! Amazing how everyone thinks they are right. Very interesting how rude some people are, and you do see exactly this while on a cruise, sad, very sad. Rude people that is :confused: Judge yourself, not others.

Thank you for not being judgemental.

Archived