Baby ONBOARD!!! help.

Iluvjo

Our first baby is due March 25.:D DW and I are in serious need of a cruise. Rccl is telling that the soonest a newborn can sail is 6 months. We live near Norfolk, VA and there is a cruise out of here in June and baby will be about 2 months old. Has anyone ever taken a baby on board? Have you or were you able to fudge about the age?

I would consider leaving baby with Grandma or take the cruise later. Do you really want to try to smuggle baby on board.....and then not be allowed to board. They have the 6 month rule for a reason, they are not equipped to medically treat baby should he/she get sick while on board. To me it wouldn't be worth the risk. JMHO

Our first baby is due March 25.:D DW and I are in serious need of a cruise. Rccl is telling that the soonest a newborn can sail is 6 months. We live near Norfolk, VA and there is a cruise out of here in June and baby will be about 2 months old. Has anyone ever taken a baby on board? Have you or were you able to fudge about the age?

They check the Birth Cert. It will have the Birth date.....6 months means 6 months....Babys as young as you want to take can get sick very easy..Would you really want to chance that?

Even if it were allowed, would you really want a ship doctor going anywhere near your baby if it became sick?

Wait until after the baby is born before you decide anything. I know when my children were two months old, I was still never sleeping :eek:, and in no way, shape, or form, in a condition to go on a vacation (although i desperately needed it! :D).

The only way to "fudge" is to alter the birth certificate which you are required to produce. And that would be illegal.

If you want to close the thread, you can e-mail the hosts and make that request.

When you became parents you had to realize that there would be sacrifices. One of those is putting the CHILD first, over your wants and needs. If you were not ready to do that, you should have considered waiting to have children until later in life.

Blimey. That's told her then.

I took my 5 month old to meet her great grandmother a 7 hour plus flight away. You want a holiday and you will definitely deserve it. I do hope if you're still following your thread you will find a friend here who gets what you mean. A relaxed mom is a relaxed baby. Look at something land based. I wish you and your new family well.

When you became parents you had to realize that there would be sacrifices. One of those is putting the CHILD first, over your wants and needs. If you were not ready to do that, you should have considered waiting to have children until later in life.

Wow, that wasn't neccasary.....:eek:

Just my tuppence worth ................. reality isn't like the baby books! My DS didn't sleep through the night till 18 months, and the first 6 months was due to colic ........ which is a real pain for all concerned.

And it takes time to become accustomed to a workable routine for both Mum and babe! And when you think you've got it licked .............. baby changes the rules yet again!!

All the very best to you and your husband on your baby-to-be! Enjoy him or her to the full, and perhaps if you really want a break, perhaps consider finding a 'baby-friendly' hotel or resort and have a L O N G weekend once you feel comfy with what baby will do next!!!

If you really want to cruise, you can take a 3 month old on Disney. Their age limit is minimum 12 weeks.

However, I agree with the other posters who said leave the baby with family and cruise by yourselves. I think you will find it more relaxing. But, we took our son to Hawaii when he was 3 months old and had a really good time.

Suggest a family reunion on a cruise line that allows you to take a child that age. Before RCI changed the rules, we had family reunions with most family members present including infants. Once when my grandson was 3 months old and another when my granddaughter was 5 months old. Every aunt, uncle and grandparent was in attendance and competing for quality time with the new baby. My daughter got to enjoy her well deserved free time and family members had a chance to get acquainted with the baby whenever they wanted. With over 50 family members most felt that they had quality bonding time with the newest addition to the family instead of a short visit to the new mother's house where it would be an extra burden on the hostess or new mother to cook, prepare and serve the guests who want to see the baby.

You can view my pictures on webshots and see what I mean about having the opportunity to get to know the baby under fun circumstances.

http://community.webshots.com/user/dotsieboo

http://community.webshots.com/user/dotseaboo Freedom of the Seas albums

I hope you decide to cruise with your baby. It was a great experience.

Dotsie

As much as I love babies, I sure wouldn't want to be in the stateroom next to a baby that has just awakened for it's middle-of-the-night feedings. :eek: Their schedule is just getting to the point of being routine, and then you go and disrupt it with staying in strange surroundings.

A two month old is way too young for a vacation away from land.

Oh, and don't even think about leaving the baby with grandparents for some much needed time with your husband. Your body will still be healing, not only physically, but emotionally. You will end up missing your baby so much, that you will not even have a good time. :(

Actually the poster made a very valid point. I know it the world of 'false' PC it is unwanted and unwanted but it is true nevertheless.

I personally am flabbergasted by the notion "I will have a baby and I am in need of vacation". Therefore everybody joins the chorus "yes you are entitled to vacation".

When I became a father it was sudden, by surprise and technically I was not ready, nor did I want to be a dad at 23. Yet, I realized that my life will change and my child became priority. I never thought about "I am entitled to vacation" or "I am entitled to vacation with my babe" until my son was 3 years old.

Heck, vacation didn't even enter my mind. It was too much of a joy being a new daddy.

On the other hand, people should think about their co-cruisers as well. A baby under 1 can become a quick nuisance to everybody else. What if the baby gets sick and we are delayed in port? What if the baby needs immediate medical evac? What if the baby is a constant screamer?

Being a parent does not make you #1 King or Queen in this world. The world shall still not revolve around parents. Parents, just as they did 20 years ago, must fit into society and not society fit them.

Kids are something wonderful and I love to play and mess with strangers babies. But as I said, parents must fit into this world not the other way around.

Just some thoughts.;)

To the OP: wait with a cruise. Enjoy your new bundle for a while. If you think you are in need of vacation now wait til that little 'sucker' starts walking and talking. Your troubles are just beginning...and they get worse. LMAO.

But if you feel in need on vacation then take vacation. Let granny take care of it and do vacation (or as one suggested: make a family reunion and let them fight over the baby :D) but all within the rules: RCI = 6 months or older.

Congrats (or should I say my condolences :p), good luck and happy cruising....

Yes, it obviously was necessary! The OP clearly has no idea about the potential hazards of traveling with a newborn... if he did, he would not have asked such a question. There is no room for being "politically correct" when it comes to this topic. There are reasons RCCL has these rules and the op needs to be reminded of priorities. I realize this is strongly worded but it is an important topic.

I feel for you and the need for a cruise.....BUT.....

what would you do at the pier when you show the babies BC and they deny the baby boarding?

No one can fudge a BOB because of documentation needed for boarding.

Yes, it obviously was necessary! The OP clearly has no idea about the potential hazards of traveling with a newborn... if he did, he would not have asked such a question. There is no room for being "politically correct" when it comes to this topic. There are reasons RCCL has these rules and the op needs to be reminded of priorities. I realize this is strongly worded but it is an important topic.

Actually, why was it necessary. The OP asked a question, got the answer and then asked how to close the thread down since the answer was given. The OP seemed to understand just fine without the rudeness.

Am I to understand that the way to inform someone of something, including about babies is to berate them. Life is an education. We are all being educated every day. We are all teachers and we are all students. Having knowledge of a topic, even one that is thought to be "common sense" is not a license to be rude to someone asking a question. You can teach, or you can condemn. But how you handle your teacher role is also a reflection of yourself.

We didn't cruise with our kids until they were teenagers. Our "vacations" with them tended to be staying with family and visiting local attractions until they were out of diapers. But different strokes for different folks.

I will say that every mom-with-a-baby I've seen on a cruise looked exhausted, and was NOT having a vacation. Given the great programs they have for tots on cruises, I'd do the grandparent thing if you need to get away, and start bringing baby when the diapers are a memory.

Not to berate you, as you probably will need a vacation when the little one is born, but what bothers me most about your thread and questions are that you even thought to ask "Have you or were you able to fudge about the age?"

That to me says it all...

:eek:-- yikes as i sit and think about all the sailings that had a noro virus onboard- I can only imagine a baby contacting such a virus.

Where would you sterile stuff-- (maybe sterilization isnt done today--my kids are old.

where would you warm formula?

I know when my kids were babies there was no way at 2 months would I been up for a vacation

Archived