How formal is "formal" on Alaska cruises?

zelker

We're new to RCCL. For ALASKA cruises only, what has your recent experience been with how formal people dressed for the formal nights? Did you see many tuxes and gowns or was it more suits for the guys and nice outfits/dresses for the ladies? (we've got all the formal attire, just not going to drag it along if it's not the norm) Thanks! Barb

We cruised Alaska on Rhapsody of the Seas on 6/6/08. I noticed way more suits and dressy cocktail dresses than anything else. Tuxes were few & far between. Maybe a few long dresses but mostly black cocktail type dresses. Overall everyone looked very nice. I do not think you would feel out of place in a dark suit and nice cocktail dress. Enjoy your trip!

We saw a few tuxes, but since we had a Cruisetour first, decided to pack for comfort and warmth and keep the luggage down. I wore a cocktail dress and mix and match for the rest of the evenings. I saw more comfort than glam, though no one really dressed down, if that helps.

We're new to RCCL. For ALASKA cruises only, what has your recent experience been with how formal people dressed for the formal nights? Did you see many tuxes and gowns or was it more suits for the guys and nice outfits/dresses for the ladies? (we've got all the formal attire, just not going to drag it along if it's not the norm) Thanks! Barb

We were on the Radiance for the Repositioning cruise from Alaska. We had three formal nights and people did dress but not too many tuxes or long dresses. People did the best they could with the 14 day cruise and the luggage liabilities now imposed. I saw a lot of dress pants with nice tops. Also saw cocktail dresses and the men wore suits and sport coats and ties. I did not see too many tuxes, but I am sure there were some. Everyone looked great.

We were on the Radiance for the Repositioning cruise from Alaska. We had three formal nights and people did dress but not too many tuxes or long dresses. People did the best they could with the 14 day cruise and the luggage liabilities now imposed. I saw a lot of dress pants with nice tops. Also saw cocktail dresses and the men wore suits and sport coats and ties. I did not see too many tuxes' date=' but I am sure there were some. Everyone looked great. [/size']

We're on the Serenade repositioning cruise in May so same deal - 14 nights with 3 formal. If DH can get by w/o having to pack his tux (and tux shirts, vests, and shoes) and get by with a dark suit and use the pants with a sport coat for smart casual nights (just swap out shirts and ties), we'll definitely save on that precious packing space. Don't get me wrong - we DO enjoy getting decked in our formal stuff but if few men wear tuxes in Alaska, we won't drag it this trip.

We're not taking ANY formal wear with us on our Alaska trip...not with extra baggage fees and having to schelp an extra bag around in planes, trains, and automobiles.

We're doing specialty restaurants and/or the Windjammer in lieu of formal nights. The experience just isn't worth the extra hassel and expense for us :o

May will be our 4th cruise to Alaska (2 Princess and 2 RCI). For me, I take a nice pair of formal black pants and two beaded tops; really cuts down on the packing space. DH takes his tux because he owns his own and it doesn't take up any more room than a suit.

On our cruises we have seen a little of everything. I say do whatever works best for you; afterall, you are on vacation. :D

That's good to know. We want to limit our formal clothes as all the winter wear will take up so much precious suitcase room. It's different now that more than one suitcase PP costs extra!

Make sure to check the weather predictions a couple of days before you leave, you may not need winter wear. Every year is different, so there is no absolute way of packing for Alaska until the time comes.

You can usually depend on rain, but the temps are sometimes anywhere from the high 60's to the 80's during the cruise season.

Lighter layers are the best choice for an Alaska cruise.

We have been to Alaska twice on Celebrity and going again this year on Serenade. I personally prefer to over dressed than under. Dark suit and cocktail dress is totally fine (what most are wearing). Generally, what you might wear to a company Christmas party. If you wore a long gown and tuxedo you wouldn't be out of place either. My husband takes his kilt and formal wear however, we live in Vancouver so don't have any luggage issues.

We were on the Radiance last May and I can honestly tell you I have no idea what people wore on formal nights. I can tell you what we wore but as for the other passengers I couldnt care less what they chose to put on their bodies.

We took a pre cruise tour and it had no impact on what we packed for our formal nights. We have formal cruise wear and that gets packed whenever or where ever we cruise.

As a side note when you take a pre cruise tour you can pack a seperate bag for the land portion that will be taken to your room every night. The other bags can stay on the coach.

We never saw our cruise ship clothes while on the land tour. But if we needed something out of one of the other bags it was no problem getting it off the coach.

I noticed a lot of jeans on non-formal nights, but only because CC now has me noticing, lol. It doesn't bother me, though.

I mostly wear cocktail dresses, and DH brings a suit. I didn't notice many, if any, tuxes, but I'm not really looking. Cocktail dresses take up next to no space, and you would be fine with one or two of those.;)

I was on the Veendam (HAL) which seems to have a lot of older pax, which is another story. I did see quite a few tux, certainly more than on Caribbean cruises on CCL, Princess and RCI. There were a lot of suits. Then there was the rest of us. I wore a nice ring neck sweater over a dress shirt and corduroy pants. On informal nights I wore my outdoors clothes since I was going to spend a week camping in AK.

Just to be correct it's dress guidelines not a dress code.

We had a dress codes in the Navy:)

Archived