LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

I would venture to guess that at least 99% of the people on board do not see it that way and are enjoying their cruise, are glad the trip was not canceled, and are going with the flow.

Spot on. Only wish your positive attitude would infect some others.:)

And again, thanks to all who are my little cheering section! I will write a review when i return...maybe i will start typing it on my laptop!

No excuses this time that your stuck in a hotel and not home and can't write a review! :D

Meg, thanks for the updates. The only question to be be asked on this thread is . Is the prop fixed, and are you having a good time? We came back with two props and had no problem, you go a little slower but you are on a cruise so who cares.

Keep up the good work, you deserve a hand.

s1051480.jpg

Dick

I would venture to guess that at least 99% of the people on board do not see it that way and are enjoying their cruise, are glad the trip was not canceled, and are going with the flow.

I know you are trying to optimistic, and a lot depends how the rest of the cruise goes, but that is a big assumption of 99%.

I would agree that seasoned cruisers would be more apt to take this in stride, but for some people who this maybe there 1st or 2nd cruise who had certain expectations, I don't think they are very happy.

And I also know, when the ship returns we will hear from about 2% how happy they were, not the vast majority.

OK.....now i have to try to deduce stuff....yikes! NOW....the big blue box reappeared, along with what seems to be some sort of compressor (i presume for air for divers...) but i didn't see anyone...and the little rescuse boat is tied up at the stern. SOOOOoooo....looks like they are still tinkering! Yikes.../quote]

Meg,

I would rather see a small boat than a crane with a lot of extra tools sitting around - maybe they are just checking to make sure it is okay and every bolt is tight :) - just trying to be optimistic.

Pat

I am completly lost at why people who were not on the 1-23 or 2-1 sailing, and are not on the 2-13 or 2-22 sailing, are so damn concern about the EOS. I am on the 2-13 sailing and I would only be upset if I thought we would not be able to sail. I have been cancelled 5 days before sailing (disney) and it was stressful with the plane fair and hotels, however, we went the following week and had a great time....I have been on ships that had to skip Grand Cayman (seas to rough to tender), I did not let that stop me from having a good time.....I have had excursions cancelled.....Like a lot of people have been saying stuff happens, it is how we respond that will determine who we are....So come on guys let's party and have a great cruise (rather we go 19 or 22 knots)

I am completly lost at why people who were not on the 1-23 or 2-1 sailing, and are not on the 2-13 or 2-22 sailing, are so damn concern about the EOS. I am on the 2-13 sailing and I would only be upset if I thought we would not be able to sail. I have been cancelled 5 days before sailing (disney) and it was stressful with the plane fair and hotels, however, we went the following week and had a great time....I have been on ships that had to skip Grand Cayman (seas to rough to tender), I did not let that stop me from having a good time.....I have had excursions cancelled.....Like a lot of people have been saying stuff happens, it is how we respond that will determine who we are....So come on guys let's party and have a great cruise (rather we go 19 or 22 knots)

I agree with all your stuff about having a good time no matter what... I know I will. I'm looking forward to my 12-nighter even if the ship goes in a 10 mile radius circle at 2 knots on one propeller!!!

However, that doesn't stop me from being interested in how they are making out. Just because it would be nicer if the ship didn't spin in circles, that's all!! And I know that won't really happen, but its the point. It's just nice for the cruise to go without a hitch if possible. If they have a lasting problem with the propeller (I doubt they are) and we lose San Juan off the front of the cruise, so be it. I'll party on board. But I'd still be happy to go to Senor Frogs if we can!! So, instead of hoping for a great vacation, I'm hoping for a perfect one, that's all!!! :D

I think the point she is making is that as someone who is going on the next cruise, it upsets me when the thread is taken over about how bad of shape the EOS is in, how RC is cheating the cruisers, and all the other stuff which will make Meg not want to post info to us.

As someone on the next cruise in 6 days this post is our lifeline to what we will have to deal with. Will we be canceled, lose a port, etc, so we need Meg's info.

I know others want to know what is going on too, but if we keep this on track, we can find that out.

Very easy to see if it is fixed on not Meg, Just go to the back of the ship once you are underway if the wake looks even then they are running on all engines if they are only using 3 of the 4 then the wake will kinda look abnormal because it will be churned up more on one side and not look even.

If at a lower speed now like you are going it will look normal, Since you are going to islands that are closer to each other now the Captian may not need to go as fast as 22 knots.

You can tell how fast you are going by looking on the TV set in the cabin that shows that information. Not sure what channel it is, just surf around until you find it.

I wouldn't think the ship would need to go at 22 knots right now until you are on your way home to Bayonne later this week.

Jimbo:)

I am completly lost at why people who were not on the 1-23 or 2-1 sailing, and are not on the 2-13 or 2-22 sailing, are so damn concern about the EOS.

I'm just interested in the technology. I'd love to be on board just watching what happens but then I like it when a ride at Disneyland breaks down while I'm on it :D Ya I know, I have Geek stamped on my forehead!

Personally, I enjoy the sea days. Miss a port and have to sail on? OK by me.

With all travel, it's an adventure. Take it as it comes and you'll enjoy it more.

Thanks for the movies Meg.

Steve

Very easy to see if it is fixed on not Meg, Just go to the back of the ship once you are underway if the wake looks even then they are running on all engines if they are only using 3 of the 4 then the wake will kinda look abnormal because it will be churned up more on one side and not look even.

I'm fairly sure EOS only has 3 props. But the point is the same... good idea!!

I'm fairly sure EOS only has 3 props. But the point is the same... good idea!!

She also has six engines which has nothing to do with the number of props or how the wake looks. And they rarely use all six engines. I heard that personally from the head engineer on Adventure last year.

In that case then book your next cruise after the first week in December, that's when labadee ceases to be a tender port and cancellations will be very very rare

OOOH for real!! That means one less tender trip I have to listen to DH complain about New years week on FOS:D

If the inquiry board finds Cap't Gunnar was at the helm when the ship hit the reef, he is history with the Company and probably all the major lines. One strike allowed here, not three like MLB.

We had Cap't Ryan in 2007, the name sounds familiar.

Thanks to Meg for the info, we were on the EX for the Dec 2008 holiday cruise (Cap't Gunnar) and are looking for a repeat in Dec 2009, the financial gods willing.

My remarks were intended for the complaining about the ship itself and how rccl is handling everything....the ship's activities will not be disrupted, the shows, the quest, the liars club. the love and marriage, the dodge ball, 3 on 3 BB, rock climbing, ice skating, food, drinks, trivia games and on and on and on.....all of this does not change because of the problem with the ship....you are curious about the ship and all the stufff that makes it go, that is understandable.....I am talking about alll the talk of gloom and doom just because of a propellor......

Thanks Meg for all the updates. My husband and I were on the Jan 23 sailing. It was our first RCI crusie. Our cabin was on deck 2 soooooo we did hear the noise, when it hit whatever. Even though we skipped Labadee we had a wonderfull time on the Explorer creeping slowly home to Bayonne. So everyone on board now, have a great time! Happy cruising......................

She also has six engines which has nothing to do with the number of props or how the wake looks. And they rarely use all six engines. I heard that personally from the head engineer on Adventure last year.

The propellers are on pods that have electric motors. The engines on the ship drive generators that make electricity for the pod motors. The ship has three pods, when one is down the ships speed and manuverability are affected. In addition to the loss of propulsion, the 'dead' propeller adds drag further reducing speed.

If at a lower speed now like you are going it will look normal, Since you are going to islands that are closer to each other now the Captian may not need to go as fast as 22 knots.

You can tell how fast you are going by looking on the TV set in the cabin that shows that information. Not sure what channel it is, just surf around until you find it.

I wouldn't think the ship would need to go at 22 knots right now until you are on your way home to Bayonne later this week.

I was on the 1/23 cruise and can tell you that the data on the TV is mostly preprogrammed for the specific cruise itinerary. The lat and long appear to be correct but the screen showed where we should have been ( like in Labadee) and not where were actually were. The position of the ship on the map was incorrect most of the journey back to Bayonne. In addition, after the 'hit' the screen no longer displayed speed and heading, miles to go or miles travelled.

The propellers are on pods that have electric motors. The engines on the ship drive generators that make electricity for the pod motors. The ship has three pods, when one is down the ships speed and manuverability are affected. In addition to the loss of propulsion, the 'dead' propeller adds drag further reducing speed.

That is correct, when one of those pods(propellers) is not working the wake does look different.

We have been on a ship before (Viision of the Seas) when one wasn't working. We had an aft cabin, you can plainly see when one is not working when looking out at the back of the ship at the wake it is making.

We missed one port because of traveling to slow on a 7 day cruise(Mexico)

I completely agree. I was commenting on the fact that someone said she has 3-4 engines which simply is not true. In fact, they were referring to the number of pods or props. but called them engines which is a very different thing. She has 3 props. with two azimuthing pods and one stationary. She has 6 engines and none of them affect what the wake looks like other than the fact that if all six kick the bucket then there won't be any wake!:p

I completely agree. I was commenting on the fact that someone said she has 3-4 engines which simply is not true. In fact, they were referring to the number of pods or props. but called them engines which is a very different thing. She has 3 props. with two azimuthing pods and one stationary. She has 6 engines and none of them affect what the wake looks like other than the fact that if all six kick the bucket then there won't be any wake!:p

That will be a dark night on the ship as well...other than emergency lighting etc... The six engines are divided onto the Starboard and Port sides of the ship in order to have engine power if something ever happened where one side of the engine room was no longer working or operable.

Its a pretty cool set up.

Meg thanks so much for your tireless updates, video, and pictures!!! Great work!!!

In case anyone is interested, here is a picture of the azipods of Voyager of the Seas. Explorer should be essentially identical. I assume this was during construction [as opposed to a refurb dry dock] -- they would not look so pretty after months/years under water.

azipod1.gif

Archived