Romeinlimo in 3 ports?

Hello, here is what I have from romeinlimo. If the ship can not dock in rome, your credit card is not charged. You can canx your shore excursion prior to arriving, but if the ship can't get in due to weather than, u are off the hook; We are booking a full day tour for 8 with romeinlimo. Our tour includes a private guide at the vatican and sistine chapel, tickets to the colisium and forum, visits to trevi fountain and spanish steps, lunch downtown. The driver will pick us up at the port and return us 1 1/2 hrs prior to departure. Since we dock from 7-7, our driver will meet us at 8am and return us between 5-5:30pm. Total coast in USD based on current day exchange rate will be $164.00 per person.

I would love to book Romeinlimo now for our cruise in June. However, my rollcall is completely dead at the moment. Only three of us have posted. I can't afford Romeinlimo's prices for just the two of us - we have to get put with a larger group. What is the best strategy here? Should I book now? Take a chance with time and wait until the rollcall gets more active (hopefully)? Or will romeinlimo put you with a group that they have currently booked? I don't want to take a chance and miss the opportunity to book with them.

I would go ahead and book the tours you want to ensure you've locked in the dates. You still have plenty of time to put together a group via the Roll Call, both here and on other cruise forums. And there is always the possibly of adding more once your cruise starts. If you have a "Meet & Greet" onboard (usually the 2nd day of sailing) that's a perfect time to ask if anyone is interested in joining you. If you add more, just email Jany from the ship, it shouldn't be a problem. Worst case.....you can cancel up to a week before the tour with no penalty.

We had to do just that when we used RomeInLimo. After boarding the Sea Princess in Southampton Princess cancelled the cruise due to engine problems. I emailed Jany and cancelled our reservation and after returning home and rebooking on NCL I made a second reservation. No problems. I originally booked for 2, but added 3 Naples for Rome and 5 others for Rome.

It worked out great.

Again, we had three different drivers, in three different ports and all were wonderful and very knowledgeable. Remember it is your tour so they will take you wherever you want to go. In Tuscany, when we arrived at our first stop we mentioned to our driver that we would love to do a wine tasting and in less than 15 minutes he had arranged the whole thing. It was fabulous. We are going to the South Pacific and only wish romeinlimo was available there for our excursions. Worth every penny!!!!

Thanks for all this info and insight, I am very comfortable booking the tour I want to take with them now! Jany did write and confirm that if the ship misses the port, we won't be charged.

I was going to book a Segway in Florence but the company (italyguides) has a stated no refund policy even in the case of terrorist attack! I had to cancel my last planned trip to Europe because of exactly that, back then I had no problem getting my money refunded. Looks like I won't be taking the segways.

Amelia

What about tipping the driver and/or guide? Is it included in Romeinlimo's price or is it separate? I imagine that they take and expect tips. What is the standard tip per person?

Tipping is separate. I don't know if there is a standard amount, I would tip based on the service you received. I think we gave about 15%, but since we all paid the driver separately I'm not sure what the others in our group gave.

• 1 month later...

We are touring with romeinlimo in 3 different cities and I know they don't take a credit card. How did most of you pay for their services?

Who have gone to the Vatican in the afternoon - around 2:00pm. How long were the lines to buy tickets and enter at that time? I've read about people waiting in line for up to 3 hours but wondered if that was only in the morning.

Is it possible to visit the Sistine Chapel ONLY without going through the rest of the Vatican Museum...

Also, how do you arrange for tickets in advance for St. Mark's in Venice.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

We are touring with romeinlimo in 3 different cities and I know they don't take a credit card. How did most of you pay for their services?

Who have gone to the Vatican in the afternoon - around 2:00pm. How long were the lines to buy tickets and enter at that time? I've read about people waiting in line for up to 3 hours but wondered if that was only in the morning.

Is it possible to visit the Sistine Chapel ONLY without going through the rest of the Vatican Museum...

Also, how do you arrange for tickets in advance for St. Mark's in Venice.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

We paid cash, basically exchanged a large sum of Euros in US, put in money belt, and once on the ship in the safe it went.

You could consider letting Romeinlimo secure you tickets/guide for the Vatican. Its a huge place and having a guide helps a lot if you only have a couple hours. I can't imagine trying to get in around 2:00 out by 4 and hooking up with the driver. If you are spending $$$ for all 3 ports might as well let them do the Vatican all inclusive. By the way we had a great guide and I couldn't imagine trying to do it my self with a part of 14.

Good luck

We paid cash, basically exchanged a large sum of Euros in US, put in money belt, and once on the ship in the safe it went.

You could consider letting Romeinlimo secure you tickets/guide for the Vatican. Its a huge place and having a guide helps a lot if you only have a couple hours. I can't imagine trying to get in around 2:00 out by 4 and hooking up with the driver. If you are spending $$$ for all 3 ports might as well let them do the Vatican all inclusive. By the way we had a great guide and I couldn't imagine trying to do it my self with a part of 14.

Good luck

How do you arrange for tickets in advance for St. Mark's in Venice :confused:

I have exactly the same issue for my visit in July on the Grand Princess and contacted RomeInLimo about my dilema. Our roll call is pretty dead right now but I wanted to use RomeInLimo after reading so many positive responses about them on the boards here. Jany at RomeInLimo e-mailed me back right away and said that we could either add people or cancel without penalty up to 7 days before the tour date. They do take a credit card number from you when you book but it is in case you are a no-show, not to be charged for your regular tour fee though.

I went ahead and booked with them once Jany told me this since it seems safe either way. Hopefully our roll call will pick up, but if not, we have the option of doing the tour with 2 of us or canceling. I think we will probably opt to go ahead, since we've calculated that doing the tour with 2 will be about $120 more per person than the Princess cattle bus, and its worth it to me :)

Another suggestion..which hasn't worked for me of course, :rolleyes: is to find other ships which may be in your port the same day & ask on their roll calls.

How do you arrange for tickets in advance for St. Mark's in Venice :confused:

http://www.alata.it/eng/BOOKING/sanmarco.asp

Have you thought about booking the Secret Itinieries tour at the Doge's Palace too?

Details of the tour, prices etc are all acessible from here.

http://en.venezia.waf.it/museo_dett/28-civic-museums/530-doge-palace-secret-itineraries.html

Edit: Actually, this site might be better for booking,

http://www.museiciviciveneziani.org/prenotazioni/inizio.php?idSito=380

Also, some info here about the Doge's Palace.

http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/frame.asp?pid=227&musid=8&sezione=musei

mickeysgal, I would book them now particularly if you want a certain driver. As they say,"if you build it, they will come." I booked a van for Naples and then put out a note on our call board (Nov cruise) and it filled pretty quick. The worst that happens is that you don't have the van filled within a month or so of the cruise and you cancel. You are disappointed but not out any money. The cancellation policy actually gives up to 7 days before the tour to cancel by email. Also no charge if the ship cannot dock. (Hard to imagine but I read a review in which that happened in Liviorno (sp?).)

Details of the tour, prices etc are all acessible from here.

http://en.venezia.waf.it/museo_dett/28-civic-museums/530-doge-palace-secret-itineraries.html

Edit: Actually, this site might be better for booking,

http://www.museiciviciveneziani.org/prenotazioni/inizio.php?idSito=380

Also, some info here about the Doge's Palace.

http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/frame.asp?pid=227&musid=8&sezione=musei

Thank you for your input ;)

From what I've been reading, Romeinlimo offers private tours in Rome, Naples, and in Livorno/Florence. They appear to be well recommended. Actually, how much cheaper.....or is it, than the ship's tours? Can you be specific....if possible?

We used them for all three places and had the most remarkable time. Their drivers speak great English, drive safely, drive new, high-end Mercedes Benz cars and vans (depending on your group's size), and are always local to the region you are touring so you get a local's perspective and can see the real Italy and not just the touristy version. They took us right up to the doors of the places we visited and got us through the lines quickly while others stood in line for hours. They treated us like VIP's even though we paid the same as if we had booked with lesser companies. To make each of our private tours significantly cheaper than the ship's tours, I just went on our ship's Cruise Critic roll call and asked others if they would be interested in joining us. I always got plenty of participants and our tours of 6 were cheaper than if we had booked a big bus tour with 40+ others. It was outstanding! If you are intersted in the specific details of the tours they provided for us, just email me at wishiwascruising@yahoo.com and I'll be glad to send them...they are quite long for adding to this thread though. Enjoy!

Has anyone ever used them in all 3 ports, and rec'd a discount b/ c they were used 3 times? The inquiries I made to them make it look great, yet entrance fees are not included in the price.

You are right, the entrance fees are not included, because their itineraries are so customized to your group and allow for you to change your mind midstream. However, they know how to avoid the long lines to the get tickets quickly, so you don't waste touring time in line waiting. Also, we did get a discount for booking them in all three of our ports. I just wish they had operations in Venice too because we couldn't find a company that even came close to their level of customer service there.

I was so appreciate any info. from those that have used them. I am cruising in july and would love to know if those that secured them, did so at this 6 months mark?

I would book my tour with them as soon as possible because they are so good and highly recommended here and on other discussion forums, so they do book up. If your plans change you can always cancel within a reasonable amount of time. (Their website give full details on that, and Jany, the reservationist will help you any way she can. She blew me away with her outstanding customer service skills!)

Thanks so much for you time.

Have a great cruise and don't forget, if you want the full details of my tours, feel free to email me at wishiwascruising@yahoo.com. We are a couple from Houston, Texas in our mid-30's and are a bit frugal, but spend the money when it will enhance our vacations as much as Rome In Limo did. We will be going back to Italy in the next year and wouldn't dream of using anyone else for our tours...they were just that good. Enjoy your vacation!

I would love to book Romeinlimo now for our cruise in June. However, my rollcall is completely dead at the moment. Only three of us have posted. I can't afford Romeinlimo's prices for just the two of us - we have to get put with a larger group. What is the best strategy here? Should I book now? Take a chance with time and wait until the rollcall gets more active (hopefully)? Or will romeinlimo put you with a group that they have currently booked? I don't want to take a chance and miss the opportunity to book with them.

I would cll Romeinlimo and ask them to put you with a larger group. I'm sure they would rather do that then miss you entirely. I would bet they would do it. I can't agree more with all the previous posters. We used Romeinlimo in October and I can't wait to se them again. Everything was so professional and relaxed at the same time. We had a goup of 8 in an 8 passenger van for a little more room and we were very happy with that. I got to sit in the front with Duman, our driver, and got a real education. If you happen to get him as your driver tell him "Paul from New York" says hello. ALl the figures given are correct. And the mention about a private tour in a van being beter because you're not unloading and loading abus is absolutely correct. We really didn't feel rushed as we were in charge of picking our spots to see and how long we wanted to remain there. But we also went along with Dumans suggestions since he does that everyday. The more pictures he better. Also, DO NOT miss Pompeii and get a gide there also. Have a great trip. I wish I was going again. But we will in the not too distant future. Best trip I was ever on.

No, I'm not on the Brilliance, but the Ruby Princess...Grand Mediterranean in July. I agree, what a great tip about the seats. This thread has been so helpful. Additional thanks!!!

Kathy,

My mom, son (15) and myself are on the Ruby July 3rd from Venice are you book on the same one? I've joined the Ruby Roll Call but I've been looking for private tour ideas and found several references to the RomeinLimo. For the 3 of us it's still quite pricey so I'm trying to find some folks interested in the same excursions. I've also heard from Sunshine tours...Giovanni. I agree...all info has been most helpful. This is my first time on CC and it's a great resource.

Happy Sailing,

Becky

Hi,

I have used RomeInLimo before in Rome and they were great! Very professional, very helpful, and willing to do just about anything we wanted. We were able to see twice as much as we could have done on a city tour.

We are cruising in May and have already booked RIL in all three of the above mentioned ports. In fact, the pricing is so good, we not only filled up one van of 8 in each port, we filled up two! We were able to plan the trip with our own itenerary, and all of us had input, which made it a lot of fun. The RIL tours are half the price or less of the same or similar shore excursion.

I don't think you could go wrong using them for your trips.

Archived