Romeinlimo in 3 ports?

From what I've been reading, Romeinlimo offers private tours in Rome, Naples, and in Livorno/Florence. They appear to be well recommended. Actually, how much cheaper.....or is it, than the ship's tours? Can you be specific....if possible?

Has anyone ever used them in all 3 ports, and rec'd a discount b/ c they were used 3 times? The inquiries I made to them make it look great, yet entrance fees are not included in the price.

I was so appreciate any info. from those that have used them. I am cruising in july and would love to know if those that secured them, did so at this 6 months mark?

Thanks so much for you time.

Comparing prices will depend on what you decide to do and how many people you get to share a tour with you. There are times when a private tour will be more expensive than a ship tour, but the difference may be worth it. With some companies, if you do multiple tours with them, you also get a discount. We have a private tour for the Amalfi drive booked, if we get 6 others to share with us, it will cost about $105/person and a similar ship tour would cost us $109/person, roughly the same cost. In our case we are doing about 5-6 hours with our person and the ship tour says its 4 hours. The bigger difference is that we have control over how much time we have and in which places we want to spend that time in the different towns and will be able to stop at a whim if we so desire. In this case, you really need to look at the specific company's tour and your cruise excursion options and compare the prices yourself, there are too many variables that factor in to the prices.

We were a large group, 6 in one port and 10 in the other two ports, however, Romeinlimo was worth every cent. They treated us so well and their drivers and guides were extremely knowledgeable and very friendly. They were prompt and took us to places you would never get to see from the ships excursions. The ships excursions do not compare to what you receive from a private tour. We did book them well in advance. We were there in October and I think we booked them in June after we had done some thorough research. We were NOT disappointed. They answered all of our questions up front and were more than accommodating for our large party. Have a great time and by all means, if you can afford to use romeinlimo, you won't be disappointed! Oh and yes they do offer a discount if you do multiple tours!

I Agree with Romeinlimo....you cannot go wrong with them. I loved having everything we saw described for us and we even saw one of the tours from the ship - about 60 people getting in a long line to go every where together. We saw much more and faster in and out than that. Even got to stop off for lunch and ice cream along the way. I thing we got a 50 E discount for doing all three cities with them.

I had to go back and look. We did this in early November 2008. We did not go to Florence, so I can not speak to that. We did go to Naples and Rome (for both I had to go back and look at the ship's tours to see what was available and at what price):

For Naples, there was not a tour that did exactly what we did (Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi Coast drive AND Pompeii). The cheapest tour that included some of what we did was $179pp, the most expensive was $329pp, neither included all we did. We used Romeinlimo, we used our roll call on this website to find others to join us and ended up with 8 people in our Mercedes minivan. The cost without tip, meal or entrance fees was 75E pp, entrance to Pompeii was 11E pp, tip was 10E pp, and lunch was 15E pp, for a total of 111E pp, which even with the poor exchange rate (it was very bad then), was less than the ship's tour.

For Rome, again there was not a tour that did what we did (Colosseum, the keyhole, Monument Victorrio Emmanuel, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and a private guided tour of the Vatican, St. Peter's AND the Sistine Chapel). The debark tours (which was us, since Rome was our disembarkation port) $129 for less than we did (just colosseum and St. Peter's (not rest of Vatican)) Again, we used Rome in Limo and had 6 people in our Mercedes minivan. The cost without entrance fees, lunch or tip was 84E, entrance to the Colosseum was 10E, 12E for Vatican Museums, which includes Sistine Chapel...St. Peter's is free, 20E for lunch, 30E for private guide for the vatican and 20E for tips (for driver and guide), for a total of 156E. This was obviously higher than the ship tour, but it was 6-7 hours in duration, including the 1 1/2 drive. ours was 9-10 hours and we saw much more.

Lastly, even if the costs were the same, I would choose private. You ride in a very comfortable vehicle with only a few others. There is no bus smells or fumes, no waiting for 45 people or more to use the bathroom several times a day. There is no bunching up with 45 of your tour mates at each site or to hear each guide. There are places you just can't go in a bus. Restaurants for bus tours are not where locals eat, because they have to be the type that caters to buses..think of what that means in the US. You can tailor your visit to you, we did that many times, you can't do that with a bus tour.

As for missing the ship, first romeinlimo and other tour companies do this EVERYDAY and they have a good idea of how long you have, but also they will ask you what time you want to be back to the ship. We chose to be back early each time to reduce our risk. We still had lots of time and a relaxed day.

We enjoyed our time with romeinlimo and recommend them unequivocally. They were professional, charming, knowledgeable, prompt, and mostly concerned with showing off their city and country in the best possible light. They want you to come back AND to recommend them to friends, so they treat you like long lost friends AND as if you were the only tourists in Italy.

I hope this was the information you were looking for.

We used RomeinLimo for Naples/Rome/Florence on our Med cruise last June. Their usual price was supposed to be 550 Euros for a van that holds 6-8, but they charged us 500 Euros per van because we booked all three stops.

RomeinLimo is very good but when you compare to a ship's tour you have to understand what you do and do not get for the price. RomeinLimo provides a driver -- not a private tour guide unless you pay extra for that. The drivers do not accompany you into any sites. The best drivers will regale you with interesting info while you're in the car (we loved Mauro, our Rome driver, and highly recommend him). Others just drive you and don't say much. It's worth researching recommendations for specific drivers and asking RomeinLimo to commit to provide those drivers. We were a bit underwhelmed by our drivers in Naples and Florence.

We paid extra for private licensed guides in Pompeii (120 Euros) and the Vatican (150 Euros). Also, you have to pay for all of your admissions (usually around 11 Euros per person), so count that in your cost as well. Once you are in a museum (such as the Accademia) you are on your own if you don't have a private guide, so you will probably want an audio guide. Some people came prepared with audio guides downloaded onto their Ipods.

Private tours worked well for us, but you just need to understand what to factor into the cost and what you will actually get. I think I had my expectations built up a bit too high and next time I will be better prepared.

--Junglejane

From what I've been reading, Romeinlimo offers private tours in Rome, Naples, and in Livorno/Florence. They appear to be well recommended. Actually, how much cheaper.....or is it, than the ship's tours? Can you be specific....if possible?

Has anyone ever used them in all 3 ports, and rec'd a discount b/ c they were used 3 times? The inquiries I made to them make it look great, yet entrance fees are not included in the price.

I was so appreciate any info. from those that have used them. I am cruising in july and would love to know if those that secured them, did so at this 6 months mark?

Thanks so much for you time.

I can confirm what others also said. They offer a discount, it is small but any discount is good ;) I think at the time it was similar to what the OP said 50, euros or so. The final cost to us was ~ 500 Euros/van. Each van can seat 7 to 8 ( we had 3 kids ), and rented two vans in each port. We ended up having between 11 to 15 people so it ended up far more cost efficient for what we scheduled. Yes you end up paying food and entrance as additions. But if you look carefully at the all inclusive tours that the ships offer, very few can offer the same comprehensive set of sights, factor in the flexibility of small group the ship tours that matched this experience were from a few $$ to $$$ more/person for the ports. THe drivers all do a great job talking history, trivia and explaining the sights as they drive so a full guide in the car isn't necessary. Even if you get private guide for places like Vatican, Pompeii or other place you spend a few hours touring you are still ahead. A quick check of the Princess "bus" tours that we considered in the ports ran from ~ 179 for Florence/Pisa and Naples to 229 for Rome. Our final out of pocket actual cost didn't end up cheaper then these, but we got what was a far better experience for all the reason the OP mentioned.

Go with Romeinlimo if you can find enough people to fill the vehicle as its not just for the more cost efficient, but mostly because the port experience will be BETTER

If I had it all to do over I would use RomeinLimo again, but I wouldn't take "pot luck" with the drivers. In the summer they are very busy and they hire extra drivers. I'm sure they are all very polite and professional, but some are a lot better than others about telling you the history and trivia stuff. Mauro was fantastic but I think he only does Rome. I would research these boards for some names of other good RomeinLimo drivers for Naples and Florence.

Also, if you do the Amalfi Coast and are at all prone to carsickness, ask for a van where all the seats face forward. We had a van where one row of seats faced backwards and 5 of the 6 of us got very queasy on the winding roads.

--Junglejane

We used RomeinLimo for Naples/Rome/Florence on our Med cruise last June. Their usual price was supposed to be 550 Euros for a van that holds 6-8, but they charged us 500 Euros per van because we booked all three stops.

RomeinLimo is very good but when you compare to a ship's tour you have to understand what you do and do not get for the price. RomeinLimo provides a driver -- not a private tour guide unless you pay extra for that. The drivers do not accompany you into any sites. The best drivers will regale you with interesting info while you're in the car (we loved Mauro, our Rome driver, and highly recommend him). Others just drive you and don't say much. It's worth researching recommendations for specific drivers and asking RomeinLimo to commit to provide those drivers. We were a bit underwhelmed by our drivers in Naples and Florence.

We paid extra for private licensed guides in Pompeii (120 Euros) and the Vatican (150 Euros). Also, you have to pay for all of your admissions (usually around 11 Euros per person), so count that in your cost as well. Once you are in a museum (such as the Accademia) you are on your own if you don't have a private guide, so you will probably want an audio guide. Some people came prepared with audio guides downloaded onto their Ipods.

Private tours worked well for us, but you just need to understand what to factor into the cost and what you will actually get. I think I had my expectations built up a bit too high and next time I will be better prepared.

--Junglejane

JungleJane,

did you feel rushed in Rome on their itinerary? I am looking at booking Rome in Limo for all 3 ports. I have a group of 8. Most of us have been to Rome before. Would you recommend seeing just a few things as opposed to their list? We have 12 hrs. in port of which appx. 1.5 to 2 hrs. is just driving to/from port. (i think it is 45 mins. each way)

We are also thinking of doing the private tour guide for Vatican and Pompeii.

Your thoughts most appreciated.

Kathleen

Kathleen,

I did feel rushed in Rome. It's hard to avoid when you only have a one day shore excursion. I think we were picked up around 8 am and were back at the ship by 4:30 or 5 pm. I'm not sure what we would've skipped, but if your group has been there before then it would probably make sense to skip some things (e.g., Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.). The private Vatican guide was very helpful not only for information, but for helping us maximize our short time -- no time wasted wandering around trying to figure out where to go.:)

I also felt a bit rushed in Florence. I would skip Pisa next time and spend more time in Florence itself.

Pompeii was wonderful and one of the highlights of the trip. Again, the private guide is great not only for information but also just to help you make the most efficient use of your limited time.

I'm sure your cruise will be wonderful. Have a good time and report back!

--Junglejane

If I had it all to do over I would use RomeinLimo again, but I wouldn't take "pot luck" with the drivers. ....

--Junglejane

Great advice, everyone who does Private should remember its YOUR tour. Tell them what you want to do.

For some its see the most, that does result in a rush rush, get out, take a quick peek, take a picture and then back into the car. For people that have been to the ports before can still be a difficult choice. I had been to Rome/Florence before but in the years that have past so much has changed and it was eye opening to see how some things really changed :eek: and some stayed the same :confused:

The better drivers do have some good knoweldge and tips about when is best to visit some of the attractions, but never forget you are boss as you are the one with the $$$$ :D

Has anyone used RomeinLimo for a day visit to the Cinque Terre on their Livorno port day? Or a different company you would recommend?

We spent many days in Florence just two years ago, as well as visiting Lucca and Pisa, so we would love to have a look at the Cinque Terre, but with the train schedule, we barely would have any time there.

Also, if you do the Amalfi Coast and are at all prone to carsickness, ask for a van where all the seats face forward. We had a van where one row of seats faced backwards and 5 of the 6 of us got very queasy on the winding roads.

--Junglejane

Excellent tip. I would have never thought to ask if the seats were facing forward.

I would love to book Romeinlimo now for our cruise in June. However, my rollcall is completely dead at the moment. Only three of us have posted. I can't afford Romeinlimo's prices for just the two of us - we have to get put with a larger group. What is the best strategy here? Should I book now? Take a chance with time and wait until the rollcall gets more active (hopefully)? Or will romeinlimo put you with a group that they have currently booked? I don't want to take a chance and miss the opportunity to book with them.

I am new to this thread. I have a group of eight, and have emailed Jany from Romeinlimo. He is arranging a tour for us in rome, and also florence. I received an email from another tour company who is offering their services, their name is Benvenueto; has anyone heard of them? The only main difference is the price for sistine chapel and colisium. Romeinlimo prices are 2Euros more than Benveneudos. Anyway, it seems everyone who has evered used romeinlimo has come back a satisfied customer.

Has anyone used RomeinLimo for a day visit to the Cinque Terre on their Livorno port day? Or a different company you would recommend?

We spent many days in Florence just two years ago, as well as visiting Lucca and Pisa, so we would love to have a look at the Cinque Terre, but with the train schedule, we barely would have any time there.

Did you receive an answer to your question? We,too, have visited Florence before and are interested in visiting Cinque Terre and would like other choices. We are on the 9/19/09 Grand Princess cruise.

Did you receive an answer to your question? We,too, have visited Florence before and are interested in visiting Cinque Terre and would like other choices. We are on the 9/19/09 Grand Princess cruise.

No, I received no response, but earlier today I posted a new thread requesting tour company recommendations for a private day-trip from Livorno to the Cinque Terre. I hope that brings some response.

Hi, I'm on the Ruby Princess Grand Med as well but May 28. I also asked RomeinLimo about Cinque Terre, they advised me that there was "too much driving", not sure what they meant by that. But from other info I picked up was it is very hard to get to Cinque Terre without using local transportation like by water or train. I'd be interested to see what they say to you.

~ Bev

Also, I went ahead and booked them for a tour of Tuscany and Rome hoping to get more people off the Roll Call. They have a generous cancellation policy so worst case scenerio you cancel and make other plans or use the ships excursion.

I am in this situation too . In our case there are three of us, including our son age 9, and I wonder if we can find a good match for a tour share. We're willing to pay more for a better experience but just what is the break point? RomeinLimo have quoted 200 euros for private guide Vatican/Colosseum (150 Vatican, 50 Colosseum). Do you think this is reasonable? I think this could be much nicer for my son but it seems on the high side? All advice welcome!

I would love to book Romeinlimo now for our cruise in June. However, my rollcall is completely dead at the moment. Only three of us have posted. I can't afford Romeinlimo's prices for just the two of us - we have to get put with a larger group. What is the best strategy here? Should I book now? Take a chance with time and wait until the rollcall gets more active (hopefully)? Or will romeinlimo put you with a group that they have currently booked? I don't want to take a chance and miss the opportunity to book with them.

I have exactly the same issue for my visit in July on the Grand Princess and contacted RomeInLimo about my dilema. Our roll call is pretty dead right now but I wanted to use RomeInLimo after reading so many positive responses about them on the boards here. Jany at RomeInLimo e-mailed me back right away and said that we could either add people or cancel without penalty up to 7 days before the tour date. They do take a credit card number from you when you book but it is in case you are a no-show, not to be charged for your regular tour fee though.

I went ahead and booked with them once Jany told me this since it seems safe either way. Hopefully our roll call will pick up, but if not, we have the option of doing the tour with 2 of us or canceling. I think we will probably opt to go ahead, since we've calculated that doing the tour with 2 will be about $120 more per person than the Princess cattle bus, and its worth it to me :)

I have exactly the same issue for my visit in July on the Grand Princess and contacted RomeInLimo about my dilema. Our roll call is pretty dead right now but I wanted to use RomeInLimo after reading so many positive responses about them on the boards here. Jany at RomeInLimo e-mailed me back right away and said that we could either add people or cancel without penalty up to 7 days before the tour date. They do take a credit card number from you when you book but it is in case you are a no-show, not to be charged for your regular tour fee though.

I went ahead and booked with them once Jany told me this since it seems safe either way. Hopefully our roll call will pick up, but if not, we have the option of doing the tour with 2 of us or canceling. I think we will probably opt to go ahead, since we've calculated that doing the tour with 2 will be about $120 more per person than the Princess cattle bus, and its worth it to me :)

I want to book romeinlimo for Cinque Terre but my biggest concern here is what if the ship misses the port? I have no control whether the ship makes or misses the ports (last year this cruise missed two ports) and I hate to have to pay for something I had no control over.

Any thoughts here?

I am new to this thread. I have a group of eight, and have emailed Jany from Romeinlimo. He is arranging a tour for us in rome, and also florence. I received an email from another tour company who is offering their services, their name is Benvenueto; has anyone heard of them? The only main difference is the price for sistine chapel and colisium. Romeinlimo prices are 2Euros more than Benveneudos. Anyway, it seems everyone who has evered used romeinlimo has come back a satisfied customer.

This year rates;

- Colosseum Euro 12 pp

http://www.the-colosseum.net/idx-en.htm

- Vatican Museum Euro 14 pp

http://www.vatican.va/

Archived