Romeinlimo in 3 ports?

WOW!! Sandinmyshoes.....................Thanks so much for the great validation of Romeinlimo. I did book them, and now really glad I did. These boards are so helpful. Thanks for also including your email. As I keep thinking of things and July gets closer, I will feel free to email you.

Boiledham....I am on the cruise following you. We start in Barcelona and end in Venice. This new ship should be amazing!! Please keep her in great shape for me...........have a wonderful cruise!!

Kathy,

My mom, son (15) and myself are on the Ruby July 3rd from Venice are you book on the same one? I've joined the Ruby Roll Call but I've been looking for private tour ideas and found several references to the RomeinLimo. For the 3 of us it's still quite pricey so I'm trying to find some folks interested in the same excursions. I've also heard from Sunshine tours...Giovanni. I agree...all info has been most helpful. This is my first time on CC and it's a great resource.

Happy Sailing,

Becky

Becky, if you don't have any luck hooking up with others on your ship for tours, you might also want to check the Roll Calls for ships that are in the same port on the same day as you. If the ships dock in the same areas you might be able to join a group from another ship, or start a group there. We're doing this with another couple in St. Petersburg in August, we're on the NCL Jewel and they are on the Crystal Symphony.

You can see what other ships are in port with you at http://www.cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=128&date=11

We were a large group, 6 in one port and 10 in the other two ports, however, Romeinlimo was worth every cent. They treated us so well and their drivers and guides were extremely knowledgeable and very friendly. They were prompt and took us to places you would never get to see from the ships excursions. The ships excursions do not compare to what you receive from a private tour. We did book them well in advance. We were there in October and I think we booked them in June after we had done some thorough research. We were NOT disappointed. They answered all of our questions up front and were more than accommodating for our large party. Have a great time and by all means, if you can afford to use romeinlimo, you won't be disappointed! Oh and yes they do offer a discount if you do multiple tours!

jenl31,

you mention that you were on a tour for 10 people with romeinlimo. I contacted them and asked if they would take 10 and they said it would cost more (port charges more euros for entry) or we could do 2 cars. Of course 2 cars for 10 would be more expensive.

What did you pay for the 10 passengers?

thanks,

Kathleen/shootingstar07

jenl31,

you mention that you were on a tour for 10 people with romeinlimo. I contacted them and asked if they would take 10 and they said it would cost more (port charges more euros for entry) or we could do 2 cars. Of course 2 cars for 10 would be more expensive.

What did you pay for the 10 passengers?

thanks,

Kathleen/shootingstar07

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. Romeinlimo's site says the largest van/bus they have carries up to 8. There is an option to go larger? Does anyone know the cost? I have an email into romeinlimo, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Hi

Sorry it took some time to get back. If I remember correctly it was approximately $125 US per person. I can't seem to find all of the paperwork. In the ports where we had 10 people romeinlimo provided two Mercedes vans. They were very accommodating. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me directly jenl31@comcast.net. Again, they were worth EVERY cent!!!!!

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. Romeinlimo's site says the largest van/bus they have carries up to 8. There is an option to go larger? Does anyone know the cost? I have an email into romeinlimo, but thought I'd ask here as well.

We did two mini vans for 14. The cost was ~ 1200 Euros

Hi I am using romeinlimo in May. we have them booked for rome and florence. We will have 15 in rome. the price is 1200 Euros and includes a private guide at the vatican. They will be putting us in two 8 passenger minivans. We have 10 in Florence and Pisa. The cost will be 1000 Euros.

I also would like to hear some recommendations on drivers to request with Rominlimo.

Thanks.

In Rome we had Duman and he was excellent. Funny and informative, and he even brought along pistachio cookies his mom baked.

In Naples we had Carlos. He was also very good, although not as outgoing as Duman but still very knowledgeable.

Nothing :confused:

At sites where they charge admission, the driver will not go in with you. If you're not hiring a guide the site, they will tell you all about the site and what you are going to see.

For example, at the Colosseum Duman took us to buy the tickets and then walked us to the entrance. There he took about 15 minutes explaining what we would see using an illustrated book with acetate overlays, which he gave us. At the Vatican we had Romeinlimo arrange a guide for us so he just dropped us off at the entrance. The guide (who was excellent) was already at the head of the long line so we just went right in and bought our tickets.

At sites where they charge admission, the driver will not go in with you. If you're not hiring a guide the site, they will tell you all about the site and what you are going to see.

For example, at the Colosseum Duman took us to buy the tickets and then walked us to the entrance. There he took about 15 minutes explaining what we would see using an illustrated book with acetate overlays, which he gave us. At the Vatican we had Romeinlimo arrange a guide for us so he just dropped us off at the entrance. The guide (who was excellent) was already at the head of the long line so we just went right in and bought our tickets.

Thank you very much :)

- What about the price quoted, did you get a gaurantee that the rate stayed the same - meaning what kind of confirmation did you get?

- Did you request Rome in Limo to purchase advance tickets for you and what was the approximate cost?

- For those who took the private tours from Naples - was there any concern about getting back to the ship in time?

Thank you for your input ;)

Question for you :confused:

Please click here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=781850&highlight=romeinlimo

Was there any concern about getting back to the ship in time?

Can you answer my questions on the following tread, PLEASE :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=920069

In answer to the question you posted on our thread - no never a worry about getting back to the ship in time. I think we were generally at least 30 minutes early every day.

I tend to be a worry wart and looked into that before we left, but honestly, the ports aren't that far apart, it wouldn't be fun to have to drive it during the night to catch back up with the ship, but if you had to do it, you know you could - not like a caribbean cruise right! :D

Also I am not sure if it was you that asked how did people pay, since they don't take credit cards. I didn't want to spend my vacation time looking for banks with ATM's I could use while we were in the ports, but at the same time we spent a week in Paris before our sailing and I wasn't comfortable having that many Euros on me (or in my safe) while I was travelling. I ended up purchasing Euro Traveller checks before we left because it gave me piece of mind.

- What about the price quoted, did you get a gaurantee that the rate stayed the same - meaning what kind of confirmation did you get?

- Did you request Rome in Limo to purchase advance tickets for you and what was the approximate cost?

- For those who took the private tours from Naples - was there any concern about getting back to the ship in time?

If memory serves, we got an email confirmation from Romeinlimo, along with instructions where they would meet us. I can't imagine why the price would change.

We didn't request that they purchase any tickets in advance. At Pompeii we hired a guide for 100 Euros (split 5 ways), we gave him the ticket money and he bought the tickets for us. There was a separate window for guides so no waiting in line. In Rome Duman took us to a second location to buy tickets for the Colosseum. Hardly anyone was there and then we walked over to go in. At the Vatican we had arranged previously to hire a guide, and when we got there she was in line for us and almost at the head of it. We jumped in line with her and went right in to buy our tickets.

We did the Pompeii-Amalfi Coast tour and had no trouble getting back to the ship on time. We got back about an hour before departure time.

We're about to take our first cruise to the Mediterranian on the NCL Gem and we've booked tours with others from our rollcall with Romeinlimo. I have/had the same concerns. Here's how I'm looking at it. They've done it before. Many times. They know the roads and when they have to start the trip back to the ship. I've searched and searched this forum and I can't recall a time where anyone reported being late for the ship. Cruisecritic members would not be shy about voicing their opinions if they had a less than stellar experience. Can it happen? Sure, anything can happen. But realistically, unlikely.

[quote name=davejohn;If memory serves' date=' we got an email confirmation from Romeinlimo, along with instructions where they would meet us. I can't imagine why the price would change.

We didn't request that they purchase any tickets in advance. At Pompeii we hired a guide for 100 Euros (split 5 ways), we gave him the ticket money and he bought the tickets for us. There was a separate window for guides so no waiting in line. In Rome Duman took us to a second location to buy tickets for the Colosseum. Hardly anyone was there and then we walked over to go in. At the Vatican we had arranged previously to hire a guide, and when we got there she was in line for us and almost at the head of it. We jumped in line with her and went right in to buy our tickets.

We did the Pompeii-Amalfi Coast tour and had no trouble getting back to the ship on time. We got back about an hour before departure time. .[/quote]

Thank you :D

[quote name=Cruisin Oma;In answer to the question you posted on our thread - no never a worry about getting back to the ship in time. I think we were generally at least 30 minutes early every day.

I tend to be a worry wart and looked into that before we left' date=' but honestly, the ports aren't that far apart, it wouldn't be fun to have to drive it during the night to catch back up with the ship, but if you had to do it, you know you could - not like a caribbean cruise right! :D

Also I am not sure if it was you that asked how did people pay, since they don't take credit cards. I didn't want to spend my vacation time looking for banks with ATM's I could use while we were in the ports, but at the same time we spent a week in Paris before our sailing and I wasn't comfortable having that many Euros on me (or in my safe) while I was travelling. I ended up purchasing Euro Traveller checks before we left because it gave me piece of mind.[/quote]

Thank you :D

More questions are coming -:)

You absolutely cannot go wrong with Romeinlimo! Ask for Vinny to drive you in Rome and Naples (actually, he told us not to bother with Naples, so we opted for Pompeii (guided tour with Lucca) and Sorrento). We had another driver for Florence whose name I cannot remember, but he was extremely accomodating, even taking us to a local grocery store to buy chocolates and coffee!

The drivers and guides (Julia at the Vatican) were very knowledgable, friendly, fun and absolutely about us seeing and experiencing what we desired, not following a set tour itinerary!

We loved every day with them. Excellent value for the money!

In Naples we did the Tuscany region with David from romeinlimo, he was excellent!!! In Rome we had two fans, our drive was Fabian, who again was excellent!!! We did the Amalfi coast again with two vans, the guides were all amazing and VERY knowledgable of their regions. In each port we had requested a place for lunch and couldn't have been happier. They are all about what you want to do. You really can't go wrong with romeinlimo! They take care of everything including getting you back to the ship in plenty of time. Enjoy your vacation!!

1)

I also would like to hear some recommendations on drivers to request with Rominlimo.

Thanks.

2) How did you pay for the tickets that had been purchased for you? Did you just pay the driver who picked them up or do you pay RIL at the end?

3) Are all the licensed guides pretty similar, or has anyone used one that impressed as truly outstanding?

4) Pompeii-Sorento-Positano OR Positano-Ravello-Amalfi :confused:

Anyone has done either and what their thoughts are. Also how much time approx. is spent in the van for the one that goes to Ravello ?

Remember the cost of the guide is split among everyone in your group-It is the quality that you are getting-a small group vs a large bus. You should not look at it as being cheaper-it could be if you have 6 in your group or if there are 2-4 it could cost you more. Each couple tipped the driver separately as well as the guide. Having a guide for the Vatican as well as Pompeii enabled us to make the best use of our time and we learned so much more.

We met as a group before we got off the ship to pool the cost of the driver so that one person had that fee. We also gathered the cost together for the guide. It makes it much easier and less confusing then to be dealing with who has what at the end.

We met as a group before we got off the ship to pool the cost of the driver so that one person had that fee. We also gathered the cost together for the guide. It makes it much easier and less confusing then to be dealing with who has what at the end.

Excellent idea. Thank you.

Archived