Best Way to Carry Things on Island Tours

Amy S.

We leave for our Emerald Princess cruise in just two more days! Yippeee! I have gone over all the wonderful advice from fellow cruisers on what to pack and have everything all laid out but wondered what the best thing to bring to carry things when we are on island tours is? I figure we will have towels, water bottles, camera, ID's, etc. Is a bookbag the most popular idea?

Thanks! AMY

I use an inexpensive backpack I bought at Walmart. Several divided areas so you can keep wet or sandy things apart from everything else. mesh outer pockets for water bottles, and I fit everything for DH & I into one bag: towlels, water shoes, sunscreen, camera etc

We always take some sort of large shoulder bag or back pack (mainly so the towels will fit in), also we carry with us one of those XXXL zip lock plastic bags with a carry handle that the entire backpack or bag fits in. If it rains, at least we can keep our personal items dry. ;)

I have a cute beach bag about the same size as tote or Princess tote bag. The big advantage is that the top zips - and it has an inner pocket that also zips - good place for the cruise card. I carrry it to the pool and ashore. For Europe or touring destinations I have a messenger bag.

I take my normal tote bag for all of our needed items and I keep a dry bag of sorts (something that won't leak moisture out) folded up inside the tote bag.

That way, when we're done with our water excursion or day at the beach I can keep the wet towels from the rest of our stuff (camera, phone, books, etc.).

Since we always have photo gear with us, we pack the other items into a large sling bag which works great. If you want it out of the way, you sling it behind you but if you need something you just pull it forward. Much more handy than a backpack if you don't bring your entire cabin stuff with you.

Also, we also have plenty of zip lock bags in various sizes to put equipment in during an emergency.

I either bring a backpack or tote bag, or, on occasion, both.

the time I use both is if we are going to the beach, and then going to do something else. Some of the cab drivers don't like you to get into the cabs wet, also.

So, then I'll bring both, have dh's stuff in one, mine in the other for ease of showering at the beach, then put all the wet stuff in one, inside zip locks and leave the other one empty for souvenirs and dry and relatively sand free for camera.

2 comes in handy, too, if we each pick up one of those huge bottles of water. This way, we each carry one, no one has to haul all the water, all the towels, whatever, around.

no beach, I just bring either backpack or tote bag.

I agree with the backpack suggestion. Also, in addition to the items that you listed, I would also pack some form of motion sickness medicine as many of the islands have a lot of winding roads that can lead to a bad afternoon if you are not careful.

AMY, the ideas below work for us as well. We bring Princess tote bags with us for towels, etc.

The one thing I would add is some sort of "safe" storage for ID, credit card, and money. We have a dive box on a lanyard (rope) that I normally wear as we do a lot of snorkeling, and the last couple of cruises discovered that a Princess luggage tag (Blue fabric with zipper pocket and belt type of hanger - available onboard in the gift shop) is great for cash and credit cards concealed under your clothes.

After trying many different totes and carry-on type bags, we found the backpack the best. Easy on the back and shoulders and you always have two hands free. We carry all size zip lock bags..............ya never know. They always come in handy.

Enjoy your trip, I'm so jealous...........it's so-o-o-o-o cold here, we could use some of that warm, sunny weather! Three more months for us!! :D

If we are just doing a walking tour I have a fanny pack that I can fit my camera into, passports if you have to bring them, money...it snaps around your waist like a belt and this way my hands are free, makes it easier to shop, hike. For a beach I still bring the fanny but also just a tote for towels and such.

Most of the time, no bag at all: cruise cards, money etc. in a moneybelt under my clothes, camera in a pocket or clipped on belt (it's tiny), sunglasses on face.

If the tour involves swimming we use a backpack and carry a large ziplock inside for the wet suits

We carry our sling bags or DH wll carry a backpack that we are able to lock using a small combination lock. It won't stop a determined thief but will deter anyone from rifling through your stuff while you are in snorkeling, etc. We also use a small watertight plastic box for passports, cruise cards, cash etc. Works great and doesn't take up too much room. DH attaches it to his swim suit belt and it just floats along with us!

Laurel

Archived