A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

It has been suggested that I repeat my inquiry re: webcams with you....

Why doesn't HAL post its bridgecams on the web, like its corporate mates Cunard, P&O, Princess, Carnival, Costa, all do?

With HAL's unique itineraries, and ports-of-call, it seems a shame.:confused:

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure if there's a specific reason for it or not, but I know Mr. Kruse reads all correspondence mailed to him. You could certainly mail the suggestion along. Just mail to the corporate HQ address "Attn: Stein Kruse" and he will see the suggestion.

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure if there's a specific reason for it or not, but I know Mr. Kruse reads all correspondence mailed to him. You could certainly mail the suggestion along. Just mail to the corporate HQ address "Attn: Stein Kruse" and he will see the suggestion.

Okay... Kruse?

I knew an anatomy professor named Dr. Bod, a pediatrician named Dr. Seuz, a psychiatrist named Dr. Lovy...but come on!

A corporate exec of a Cruise line, named Kruse?

they say your name will affect your future...but that is just too funny!

---

Looking forward to my first HAL cruise on Eurodam Dec 26.

Thank you -- will wait and see what happens next week.

Noordam has it's holiday 2010 cruise that ends January 6, then goes into drydock Jan 6-16

As you can see from the following link, the next 3 sailings appear to be 7 day charters by Jazz Cruises. This info was found by simply searching for "Noordam 2011 Charter" in Google

http://www.jazzcruisesllc.com/Notes.aspx

KAZU--Why are some captains aloof? Same reason why some passengers are not upbeat and vivacious. Personality types. Goes for Doctors also!! I guess it is more important to have a captain that has excellent sailing skills and more important to have a surgeon who can operate under stressful situations. On the last HAL cruises I have been on, they have been featuring coffees with the officers so they can mingle more.

All HAL captains are excellent mariners - they have to be! IMHO, as far as being outgoing with their pax, a lot has to do with the individual's personality . Some old-time captains - one comes to mind - retired, but still working;) - can come across as kinda grumpy (his crew loves him) and would be perfectly happy to spend all his time on the bridge. Other captains, i.e. the one with the "rolling R's" ;) are extremely outgoing with their pax and feel perfectly comfortable doing so. All captains have certain public functions to perform; not all were made to be public speakers (just like the rest of us)

All HAL captains are excellent mariners - they have to be! IMHO, as far as being outgoing with their pax, a lot has to do with the individual's personality . Some old-time captains - one comes to mind - retired, but still working;) - can come across as kinda grumpy (his crew loves him) and would be perfectly happy to spend all his time on the bridge. Other captains, i.e. the one with the "rolling R's" ;) are extremely outgoing with their pax and feel perfectly comfortable doing so. All captains have certain public functions to perform; not all were made to be public speakers (just like the rest of us)

point well taken - however I have to admit that I enjoyed the last captain immensely. He had the skills and the public flare. and his hotel manager was absolutely (do I dare say the word I hate - awesome) In any case, how did you manage (1) to remember all the cruises and then (2) post them? awesome - I have been on a number and with only a couple exeptions (mea culpa), on Hal. Never can I remember them all. Not that I don't remember the cruises, just the exact dates.. Happy Holdiays. Jacqui

point well taken - however I have to admit that I enjoyed the last captain immensely. He had the skills and the public flare. and his hotel manager was absolutely (do I dare say the word I hate - awesome) In any case, how did you manage (1) to remember all the cruises and then (2) post them? awesome - I have been on a number and with only a couple exeptions (mea culpa), on Hal. Never can I remember them all. Not that I don't remember the cruises, just the exact dates.. Happy Holdiays. Jacqui

I started a log on our first cruise back in 91. Plus our photo albums used to have a lot of "stuff" in there including dates, which helped. If you contact the cruise lines which you have sailed on, they should be able to give you the dates plus ship names. Take care and be safe!

Hey folks,

I was a lot lazier this week than I planned on, so this evening after work I posted 10 posts in 10 minutes... kind of a time-released way of getting a bunch of posts out there.

Included:

Rotterdam Dry Dock Updates

Nieuw Amsterdam Shipyard Updates

Views From The Past, especially the old tss Maasdam

Views of the ship bells for Amsterdam and Eurodam

Want to win a HAL Art Book next week? 10 are being given away! Two of the daily contests you can start entering right now! All the details are at: http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/12/want-to-win-hal-art-book-next-week.html and be sure to check the blog daily for additional posts and the trivia questions for Monday, Tuesday and Wedesday!

DBA I would like to know if the veranda cabins, ie. VD's, with shower only, (not handicapped) the ones in Vista towards aft. Are the showers the same size as the tubs or much smaller? Thanks for your info. We are planning a 2010 Spring cruise and have been offered a good deal in one of those.:)

DBA - Thanks for the pictures of the Rotterdam dry dock. It's pretty amazing to see the level and amount of work that's done. Equally amazing they're able to do so much in such little time. Hopefully you'll be able to show us some of what the Prinsendam goes through next year. Since that's our next cruise we'll be very interested in seeing pictures of her dry dock.

DBA I would like to know if the veranda cabins, ie. VD's, with shower only, (not handicapped) the ones in Vista towards aft. Are the showers the same size as the tubs or much smaller? Thanks for your info. We are planning a 2010 Spring cruise and have been offered a good deal in one of those.:)

These bathrooms are configured like the inside staterooms. The shower will just be the shower stall.

DBA - Thanks for the pictures of the Rotterdam dry dock. It's pretty amazing to see the level and amount of work that's done. Equally amazing they're able to do so much in such little time. Hopefully you'll be able to show us some of what the Prinsendam goes through next year. Since that's our next cruise we'll be very interested in seeing pictures of her dry dock.

Glad you're enjoying. I'm hoping I'll be able to get access to some of the photos of the Prinsendam changes too. And if I can, you know I'll have them posted!

So I’ve had a chance to get this blog going to where I know I can keep dedicated to it so I wanted to let all of you know about it.

As you can see from other posts on the blog if you look through what I’ve put up previously, I am an employee of HAL at the corporate offices in Seattle and must admit that the combination of the Holland America Blog http://www.hollandamericablog.com and John Heald’s Blog http://www.johnhealdsblog.com have inspired me to try my own hand at it.

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

My goal is to offer a wide variety of info, both work-related and about me, such as that which John does on his blog…

So ask away, I’m here! And welcome!

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

~B

I see the Oosterdam in San Diego on the 19th of December for extended period of time. Is this drydock?

I will be taking my first HAL cruise in June on the Amsterdam.I have a few questions that maybe you can answer.

1 What are the Queens and Kings room in the MDR for?

2.My room is located on lower Promanade.How do you get outside?Is it by the curved staircase?

3.What is the Hudson room?

4.What is the best way to get to the front of the ship for glacier viewing?

Thank you

I will be taking my first HAL cruise in June on the Amsterdam.I have a few questions that maybe you can answer.

2.My room is located on lower Promanade.How do you get outside?Is it by the curved staircase?

Thank you

1. King's Room is like a dining annex. It can serve as overflow, private dining for a small group, etc. Queen's Room is currently set-up for the Digital Workshop with the Techspert and all the different Windows Live classes.

2. By curved staircase I assume you mean that goes around the Astrolabe in the atrium? There are actually doors all throughout that deck so there are, without a deckplan in front of me, I believe about a dozen ways out on that deck.

3. Hudson Room is a room used for group events. If there are no events it may be used to host activities from time to time.

4. Via a door all the way forward when on the walkaround promenade. The door will be opened for guest access on the glacier days.

You're welcome.

Was wondering what, other than price, the difference is for the Sommelier Package for up to 10 days and the one for over 11 days. We have ordered this package and when I phoned Ship Services to ask what the difference was, other that the $30, she said there was no difference. I came very close to not ordering or to ordering the up to 10 day package when we are on a 33 day cruise. Seems like there should be 1 more bottle of wine or something different. Anyone know of a difference? Perhaps a nicer wine related gift? The description for both is exactly the same on Holland America web site.

Any updated information on the wine card? We have ordered a couple of these and hope they will still available for our January 4th sailing.

Thanks for any information, and Dutch thanks for all the work you put into answering everyones questions and keeping us updated on whats going on.

Was wondering what, other than price, the difference is for the Sommelier Package for up to 10 days and the one for over 11 days. We have ordered this package and when I phoned Ship Services to ask what the difference was, other that the $30, she said there was no difference. I came very close to not ordering or to ordering the up to 10 day package when we are on a 33 day cruise. Seems like there should be 1 more bottle of wine or something different. Anyone know of a difference? Perhaps a nicer wine related gift? The description for both is exactly the same on Holland America web site.

Any updated information on the wine card? We have ordered a couple of these and hope they will still available for our January 4th sailing.

Thanks for any information, and Dutch thanks for all the work you put into answering everyones questions and keeping us updated on whats going on.

Well since you said the red part I feel horrible at basically having to "cop out" on your question as I'm not familiar with that package. I like and drink wine, but I have never purchased that package on my cruises. My recommendation is that, without knowing who you spoke to, ask for either the lead or supervisor as they will have a file in their computer or sheet at their desk with any/all differences. I presume it would be the AMOUNT of wine you get but they would know for sure.

Also, I know there has been a lot of talk about a new beverage card but unfortunately the few and scattered details that I know aren't out to where I can share them. I would expect possibly a press release on this when it does come out.

Thank you

All the times that we have been on the Amsterdam the King's Room is used for the Deluxe Suite passengers to have breakfast there. It is not used at lunch time. In the evenings some captains have hosted privated dinners there.

All the times that we have been on the Amsterdam the King's Room is used for the Deluxe Suite passengers to have breakfast there. It is not used at lunch time. In the evenings some captains have hosted privated dinners there.

You need to give us first timers a tour of the ship,Usually by day 5 I have got my bearings and since we 9 more days to go I should be a pro.

Archived