A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

So I’ve had a chance to get this blog going to where I know I can keep dedicated to it so I wanted to let all of you know about it.

As you can see from other posts on the blog if you look through what I’ve put up previously, I am an employee of HAL at the corporate offices in Seattle and must admit that the combination of the Holland America Blog http://www.hollandamericablog.com and John Heald’s Blog http://www.johnhealdsblog.com have inspired me to try my own hand at it.

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

My goal is to offer a wide variety of info, both work-related and about me, such as that which John does on his blog…

So ask away, I’m here! And welcome!

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

~B

It is good to know one can get some inside info on HAL. Can you please let me know if HAL has corrected the problems reported on MS Statendam?

Thanks in advance

A potential HAL cruiser

DBA, have you been informed by HAL in any way with respect to what might be PLAN B if the BP oil spill reaches areas which are transversed by ships leaving Tampa and/or Ft Lauderdale enroute to west Caribbean ports?

I have been told that all ships which pass thru the oil will need to have their hulls cleaned prior to docking at locations which are not affected by the spill.

Is that a concern or is it just fear mongering by a few.

We booked a VF balcony room on the Noordam 12/03/10 but the customer service rep at Hal would not let us pick a room number. Said they were assigned later. Is this normal?

If you are booked as a guarantee (either that is all that is available when you booked or if you/your TA selected this), then yes.

It is good to know one can get some inside info on HAL. Can you please let me know if HAL has corrected the problems reported on MS Statendam?

Thanks in advance

A potential HAL cruiser

The best way to find out about a current situation, policy, activity, test program, etc onboard any of the ships is to read reviews and/or speak to those that have just come back.

Do/can things happen? Of course. Do they go ignored? Absolutely not.

DBA, have you been informed by HAL in any way with respect to what might be PLAN B if the BP oil spill reaches areas which are transversed by ships leaving Tampa and/or Ft Lauderdale enroute to west Caribbean ports?

I have been told that all ships which pass thru the oil will need to have their hulls cleaned prior to docking at locations which are not affected by the spill.

Is that a concern or is it just fear mongering by a few.

I am not in the loop for any planning that would be secondary, tertiary, etc for major situations such as oil spills, weather events, riots/unrest, etc however I know there has been minimal to no effect for the fleets with ships sailing in the region (and sometimes out of the gulf... specifically Texas, Louisiana, etc) at this moment.

Recent reviews from people on OTHER LINES that have just been through that area might be able to give info on any adjustments, etc that would have been announced while onboard. Does it necessarily say what might be in the works for HAL. No. But can it give you a broader picture? Sure.

The areas most affected from what I have seen on the news seem to be within the Gulf of Mexico 'proper'. (Basically draw a line from Key West to Cancun.) The only places we even go in/near that "zone" are Costa Maya/Cozumel and Key West. To my knowledge those areas have been in no way effected.

DBA...I have written to the Ships coordinator for the Nieuw Amsterdam, re some questions about the retreat area, but have yet to get a reply...would she busy with a lot of "new" issues of a more serious nature...or do you think I should write again or phone? What would be the best way to approach this...I mean I am not sailing until Feb so I have time to wait, but would like an answer..The two questions I am awaiting an answer on are

1. Can I invite guests say another couple up to the cabana and entertain there, or does it have to be occupied by the people who have rented it...I realize the family cabana can hold 4 adults, 2 children...I believe someone on these boards has asked their PVP but I would like the answer to come from HAL...

2. If I purchase liquor/mix (say vodka/tonic) on the ship can I bring it or wine up to the Cabana for my own consumption?

Thanks

DBA...I have written to the Ships coordinator for the Nieuw Amsterdam, re some questions about the retreat area, but have yet to get a reply...would she busy with a lot of "new" issues of a more serious nature...or do you think I should write again or phone? What would be the best way to approach this...I mean I am not sailing until Feb so I have time to wait, but would like an answer..The two questions I am awaiting an answer on are

1. Can I invite guests say another couple up to the cabana and entertain there, or does it have to be occupied by the people who have rented it...I realize the family cabana can hold 4 adults, 2 children...I believe someone on these boards has asked their PVP but I would like the answer to come from HAL...

2. If I purchase liquor/mix (say vodka/tonic) on the ship can I bring it or wine up to the Cabana for my own consumption?

Thanks

DBA, I did hear from her only to say as I suspected that she did not have an answer at this time but was still working on it..that they have been very busy since the inaugural. I have time so no need to follow up DBA..

Thanks

DBA...Need some info please..

We have quite a large group (40 +)on our Roll Call on the Veendam to Bermuda...It was suggested that we meet informally at the Retreat Bar in the early afternoon of the first sea day..We have several large families with several young adults in their twenties & about a dozen teens & Children..Most will be in Bathing Suits & at the pool..

We're also planning a formal & much smaller CC Meet & Greet in the Morning for those who are early risers & will contact the events coordinator for the Veendam about that..When we make arrangements for the Formal Meet & Greet will mention to the on-board coordinator that there will be a large group at the bar in the Afternoon..They may want to put on extra bartenders..

Our question is this..Is the Retreat area for Adults only or will the children & teens be welcome there?...Also will the retreat bar be overcrowded with 40 plus people?...

Thanks for your help...

Cheers....:) Betty

Was wondering if there are laundry facilities on board Nieuw Amsterdam

Not self-service laundries. You can send it out and pay by the piece, by the bag, or unlimited for the duration of the cruise.

and if we are allowed to open wines from ports that we will be visiting. Thanks for any info.

Yes, you can bring aboard as much wine as you care to, both at embarkation and various ports. There's no charge if you drink it in your cabin. There's a $18 per bottle corkage charge if you bring it to the dining room or a lounge.

any idea on the cost of laundry and ironing? Thanks again!

Sorry, can't help much. The per bag price is $20 for all you can stuff in it; the unlimited varies by length of cruise. The per piece price is usury, but I don't know the figures.

If you send things to be laundered, they come back nicely pressed as part of the laundry charge.

There's also a pressing-only package, and per piece charge---your choice.

We have three cabins booked for a family cruise on NA in March 2011. I would like anyone who has sailed on her to please tell me--do the pools have only straight up ladders to get out of the pool? Or do either of the two pools have a "staircase" to enter and exit the pool? We have family members who have an inability to pull themselves up a vertical ladder to get out of the pool.

Someone on another thread suggested I post my question here since DBA and others here are so helpful! If there are no staircases in the pools, do they have a "lift" for the mobility challenged to use the pool?

I truly loved reading several reviews and reports of the inaugural sailing and can't wait to get onboard! Thanks to whomever can answer my question!

Cheers,

Barbara

Are the voltage on the outlets American or European (I can't remember 110 or 220 which is US/European)? Do I need to bring a converter for cell phone charger? Thanks.
On all ships except the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam you will find one dual outlet, with a 115v US plug on one side and a 220v European plug on the other. (pic 1) On the E and NA there will be two dual-outlets. (pic 2)

2811377320099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

2438094290099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

So I’ve had a chance to get this blog going to where I know I can keep dedicated to it so I wanted to let all of you know about it.

As you can see from other posts on the blog if you look through what I’ve put up previously, I am an employee of HAL at the corporate offices in Seattle and must admit that the combination of the Holland America Blog http://www.hollandamericablog.com and John Heald’s Blog http://www.johnhealdsblog.com have inspired me to try my own hand at it.

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

My goal is to offer a wide variety of info, both work-related and about me, such as that which John does on his blog…

So ask away, I’m here! And welcome!

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

~B

You blog indicates that there are NEW luggage tags but when we go to print it still has the old luggage tages without the special symbols. Are you sure that the new luggage tags are priniting ??

You blog indicates that there are NEW luggage tags but when we go to print it still has the old luggage tages without the special symbols. Are you sure that the new luggage tags are priniting ??

His post on July 15th said:

So no worries when you see it start in the next week or two because I've just told you all about it!

Your blog has incorrect info

Patience Friend patience..DBA's blog does not have incorrect info..:(

His blog says "new tags are coming soon" , which does not mean it will be instantaneous..

When HAL re-programs their WEB site, I'm sure we'll all know...

Cheers....:)Betty

I cruised to bermuda on the MS Veendam on July 11th - 18th and I would like to know if there anyway to find out the names of the musiciens in the band on the HALCats. I really enjoyed my cruise and I need this information to complete my photo album. I forgot to ask when I was on the ship. Thank you.

Archived