Anyone Done the NB Direct to Wilderness?

Beechnut99

I was just looking at my itinerary and our last stop is Whittier at 12:30 AM.

That's after midnight. do we disembark right away? or do they only do they put us on the train then and get us to the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge in the morning. (Cruisetour)

Not thinking that it will be much to see at that time of the night (morning). I won't need to be seeing bears, I'll be traveling with them (HA)

Anyone travelled this route before?

thanks

You will get to Whittier right after midnight but will not disembark until the morning. My guess is that you will have an early disembarkment such as 6 or 7 am or so.

I have been on the ship when people start disembarking and they get a lot of the tours off pretty early in the morning. Especially since you have a long day ahead of you.

This train has you meeting around 6am. It is a 10 hour train trip, I'm surprised you do not know the details of what you have purchased. It is definately better in your northbound direction, since the scenery highlight in my opinion is only the first 2 hours. After that, unless McKinley is viewable, it's trees and more trees. You are aware that it is assigned table seating of 4?? Two ride backward. Since it sounds like you are with a group, this works out better than a couple strangers to stare at. :) (many people certainly are friendly).

I have done the entire distance of the Alaska RR several times.

I'm surprised you do not know the details of what you have purchase./quote]

Well it's very difficult getting much information from Princess. A package tour is a package and when you purchase that there is a lot of information left out. Perhaps when we get closer to the actual travel date we will have more information. For now we have this forum.

Yes we are traveling with a group, and since it is a group many considerations have to be made to try and make most happy. I doubt that as you say, I will know the details of what I purchased - until I get home.

For instance, how on earth would I know there is assigned seating on a train unless I have done it before?

We first time travelers to Alaska are lucky to have the wealth of knowledge of people on this forum and are grateful for the information, without being told we are ignorant.

Beechnut99,

This is my first cruise & I'm like you - just learning. When I saw we arrived in Whitter at 12:30 in the morning, I too was concerned about losing a night of sleep. I went to the Princess Cruise website to "cruise personalizer", logged in with my cruise confirmation number, & was able to look at a more complete itinerary. Found out such things as the train leaves at 8:15AM & arrives in Denali at 6:01PM. A short coach ride follows to lodge.

Our flights that are booked through Princess are not shown yet. But the timetable for ports, trains, bus, etc. are listed.

Hope this helps.

How long a trip is it from Whittier to Denali?

As mentioned, it is a 10 hour ride at about 25 mph to Denali. I would add that it is a long, boring ride. The cars are not new and the bench seats at the tables are far from comfortable.

For your first trip you will enjoy it (mostly), but you may come home thinking that on your second trip, you will rent a car or van and drive it yourself. (in half the time)

Did anyone mention that, once you leave the ship, you will pay for your meals and snacks, both on the train (very pricey), at the lodges and anywhere else you stay?

While Princess really does a nice job with their cruisetours, there are a few places that they come up lacking.

Does your cruisetour include the Tundra Wilderness Tour or the (worthless) Natural History Tour at Denali?

For instance, how on earth would I know there is assigned seating on a train unless I have done it before?

We first time travelers to Alaska are lucky to have the wealth of knowledge of people on this forum and are grateful for the information, without being told we are ignorant.

Beechnut,

I have been to Alaska now 18 times, but my first cruise last year. This was also my first trip using the train. As many times as I have been there, and for me many trips 30+ days, I still had questions. So keep on asking until you have an A-plan, B-plan and fully have all bases covered. Some things you can change and some you just have to file the information in case there is a second trip to AK in your future. Some people forget their first trip to AK and also their first time asking questions on CC.

Janice

Thanks fellow cruisers!

It's nice to get lots of information. Even tho we have been given our cabin numbers, I don't have the conformation number to personalize the cruise on the website. The TA is getting back to me - but she's swamped with March breakers and we are only going later in the season so..... you know :)

I tried to cancel the NHT and book the TWT myself, since we have a child with us and the cruise prices are all the same, but they list a child price if booked directly, at quite a savings. I was told that I could cancel it, but wouldnt get a refund.(:confused:) They would switch it for a flat rate pp. I am following this up.

Yes, we did realize that all food off the ship was on us. And I assumed just like when we were in Hawaii prices would be quite a bit higher than home. :eek:

That's factored into the budget.

We hope to do the scenic rail out of Skagway (havent decided which run yet, ) and I am still trying to justify a heli dog tour that costs more than a week down south.

We're getting there, and you guys have been quite a help.

I tried to cancel the NHT and book the TWT myself, since we have a child with us and the cruise prices are all the same, but they list a child price if booked directly, at quite a savings. I was told that I could cancel it, but wouldnt get a refund.(:confused:) They would switch it for a flat rate pp. I am following this up.

Yes, we did realize that all food off the ship was on us. And I assumed just like when we were in Hawaii prices would be quite a bit higher than home. :eek:

That's factored into the budget.

QUOTE]

Have your booking agent take care of your cancelation, you can not do this and take what you get for the child rate. I'm assuming they are the 3rd/4th in your cabin?? Would be a different refund rate. Then book yourself on the bus you want. http://www.nps.gov/dena there is detailed information about each available bus. Overall, even the TWT is really not for kids younger than 8. Budget 50% more than you would at home for food.

Have your booking agent take care of your cancelation, you can not do this and take what you get for the child rate.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, My TA was the one who said that if we cancel there would be no refund on the NHT. She is able to switch the tour for a flat rate which is double the child's rate I could get if I was ablet to book it on my own.

I am questioning her as to why there would be no refund. on a canceled portion of the trip.

Beechnut99, last year we were able to get the NHT tour cancalled by Princess with no trouble. I wonder if (a) Princess is not cooperating this year, or (b) if your travel agent is lazy and just told you that without even calling Princess? I can't remember the exact amount, but I think the credit was something like $40. GOOD LUCK! You're going to love Alaska.

I would call the Princess tour desk directly, get a supervisor and see what the current policy now is. With all the cancelations that have happened in the past with Princess and the NHT, they may have gotten smart and now won't refund, same as like all the other lines?? In the past, they have always refunded. There also was a post last season, where they were able to get on a shuttle bus with the tour bus ticket. Sorry, I do not recall any other details. Essentially they walked up to the ticket counter and were able to change?? Maybe, the post can be found with some time?

If this is now the case, I wouldn't recommend any of the NHT Princess cruisetours, which the bulk of them are. This is a significant highlight of the entire trip, in my opinion.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, My TA was the one who said that if we cancel there would be no refund on the NHT. She is able to switch the tour for a flat rate which is double the child's rate I could get if I was ablet to book it on my own.

I am questioning her as to why there would be no refund. on a canceled portion of the trip.

You might want to consider not booking the TWT and just loosing the NHT cost and get yourself on a shuttle bus. Your child is free if under 16 and the cost significantly less than a booking of the TWT at triple the cost?? IF you do do a shuttle bus booking, be sure to state you will have already purchased the park admission fee via Princess. With 2 days at Denali, you would have NO problem getting to/from the access center for a shuttle bus.

• 3 weeks later...
This train has you meeting around 6am. It is a 10 hour train trip, I'm surprised you do not know the details of what you have purchased. It is definately better in your northbound direction, since the scenery highlight in my opinion is only the first 2 hours. After that, unless McKinley is viewable, it's trees and more trees. You are aware that it is assigned table seating of 4?? Two ride backward. Since it sounds like you are with a group, this works out better than a couple strangers to stare at. :) (many people certainly are friendly).

I have done the entire distance of the Alaska RR several times.

BQ, You bring up a great point. I'm also on the Direct bound trip which arrives at 12:30am in Whitter. Question -- I'm switching my cruisetour to just a cruise and would like to catch the 8:15am Alaska RR train out of Anchorage to Denali that same day.

What's my best option to get there in time for the 8:15am train?

BQ, You bring up a great point. I'm also on the Direct bound trip which arrives at 12:30am in Whitter. Question -- I'm switching my cruisetour to just a cruise and would like to catch the 8:15am Alaska RR train out of Anchorage to Denali that same day.

What's my best option to get there in time for the 8:15am train?

Sorry for the double-post but I just contacted Crystal at the Princess Cruises - Anchorage location. She stated that you can have early disembarkation from the ship a bit before 6am and schedule a taxi to catch the first 6am passage into Anchorage. (Princess transfers only do the 7am passage).

Anyone have suggestions for a VERY reputable taxi service from Whittier to Anchorage? I really want to catch that 8:15am train!! :)

Sorry for the double-post but I just contacted Crystal at the Princess Cruises - Anchorage location. She stated that you can have early disembarkation from the ship a bit before 6am and schedule a taxi to catch the first 6am passage into Anchorage. (Princess transfers only do the 7am passage).

Anyone have suggestions for a VERY reputable taxi service from Whittier to Anchorage? I really want to catch that 8:15am train!! :)

Listings http://www.anchorage.net This is a risky schedule you are trying to do. Be prepared for a plan "B" and "C". Are you that short on time???

Listings www.anchorage.net This is a risky schedule you are trying to do. Be prepared for a plan "B" and "C". Are you that short on time???

I had a change of plans overnight. Yes, you're right its way too risky.

I'll be renting a car from Alamo in Anchorage for 5 days and simply drive up to Denali. We'll be staying 3 nights @ the Denali Princess Lodge and am really looking forward to the Eielson Shuttle Bus trip. Hopefully the seats aren't too painful!! We'll probably do some whitewater rafting one day but am still looking for one more adventurous activity. Let me know if you have any suggestions since we do have flexibility now with the rental car.

I had a change of plans overnight. Yes, you're right its way too risky.

I'll be renting a car from Alamo in Anchorage for 5 days and simply drive up to Denali. We'll be staying 3 nights @ the Denali Princess Lodge and am really looking forward to the Eielson Shuttle Bus trip. Hopefully the seats aren't too painful!! We'll probably do some whitewater rafting one day but am still looking for one more adventurous activity. Let me know if you have any suggestions since we do have flexibility now with the rental car.

Just a heads up, the Denali Princess is nothing special, on scale of an Econolodge, in my opinion. It is very busy with endless buses and people. Independents get kind of lost.

Just a heads up, the Denali Princess is nothing special, on scale of an Econolodge, in my opinion. It is very busy with endless buses and people. Independents get kind of lost.

BQ, I should be paying you for all your helpful advice!! Do you take credit cards? >:) I'm staying at a B&B (Lakeview Inn) now up in Healy which is 1/3 of the price of the Denali Princess yet nice enough for my wife to really like.

Archived