To Laptop or not to Laptop...

mailbroad

that is the question.

I am debating about whether to bring my laptop on my cruise. I am an internet fiend... a bad habit. I have used the Internet Cafe a bit on other cruises to catch up on e-mail and let a hotel know about a jacket left behind(!)... so I use the computer just a little on a cruise. The advantages to the laptop would be uploading photos and maybe playing one of the games or two on a sea day while my husband is baking in the sun. But, I could always read a book!

If I do take the laptop where can I get internet access? Do I get a code or something? Can I use my mac laptop (you never know!)? Do I hide it in my suitcase during the day?

Or, maybe I should just leave it at home.

If I brought it I would surely do some live reports!

Thank you Cruise Critic pals!!!!!

that is the question.

I am debating about whether to bring my laptop on my cruise. I am an internet fiend... a bad habit. I have used the Internet Cafe a bit on other cruises to catch up on e-mail and let a hotel know about a jacket left behind(!)... so I use the computer just a little on a cruise. The advantages to the laptop would be uploading photos and maybe playing one of the games or two on a sea day while my husband is baking in the sun. But, I could always read a book!

If I do take the laptop where can I get internet access? Do I get a code or something? Can I use my mac laptop (you never know!)? Do I hide it in my suitcase during the day?

Or, maybe I should just leave it at home.

If I brought it I would surely do some live reports!

Thank you Cruise Critic pals!!!!!

we brought ours, and it was nice to be able to download the photos and caption them while they were still fresh in our memories.

DH forgot the ethernet cable (his WIFI is broken) so we had to use the internet cafe anyway. we bought the 100 mins package, and used 90 of them ... more than I thought we would - but the connection is SLOW.

Enjoy your cruise!

I, too, am an internet junkie. I can't go 2 hours without checking my email or going on facebook..

Anyway..I have decided to leave the laptop behind and not use the internet cafe while gone. I look at it this way...The laptop is just another bag to lug around and worry about leaving behind...

But I do understand your issue...

this is why I am on the internet this morning before beginning my trip..

I am taking my third cruise later this month. The first cruise (Sun in 2005), I took my laptop and got the 100 minute package for $55. I enjoyed it and could check Email, etc while on the ship. Mainly, I wanted the laptop to download digital pictures as memory cards were fairly expensive then. By the way, my laptop (normal size) did not fit in the safe so there was on way to secure it in the cabin.

My second cruise (Jewel 2007), I did not bring my laptop. I never missed it. And I have extra memory cards for the camera since they were now cheaper than buying the internet package.

My third cruise (Star - Feb 28 2009), I will not have my laptop. I learned that I don't need to to enjoy my cruise.

My advice, take it if you want it. It can work great on the ship but the connection is slow. But this internet junkie enjoyed the cruise more without it (for what they is worth).

Mine has become virtually indespensible. As others said, I use it to download and particularly to label photos the day they are taken, because, trust me, after awhile ALL sandy islands with palm trees do begin to look alike.

It is nice also as the vacation ends to be able to check weather and airline status for the voyage home. The connection DOES slow up a bit when five hundred passengers are all trying to print boarding passes the last morning.

Depends on your ship and your laptop. The Jewel has ethernet connections in at least some inside cabins, and you can borrow a cable from the internet cafe. Many ships have wireless 'hotspots" located in various places aboard if your laptop can pick up signals without an internet wireless card.

On the now departed NCL Crown, there was a nice lounge right next to the internet cafe, and I was able to sit and listen to the South American trio while downloading and sending emails in the evening.

if you think the internet or computer is something you will definitely be using on your vacation i think bringing your own laptop would be a better choice than using the cafe.

although i dont think i ever saw a line on our 2 RCCL cruises you will be able to use it whenever you want.

my husband is probably bringing his laptop with us because as he pointed out you dont have to be connected and using up minutes to write emails.

you can type out the email while disconnected then connect just to send it.

saves you some of the ridiculous charges.

the only thing i am worried about is what to do with the laptop while we are out of the cabin. it doesnt fit in the safe.

i dont know if theft is a problem on cruise ships but my thinking is that it would be pretty dumb for a room steward to steal a laptop since when something goes missing from someone's room they would be the first person the finger got pointed at.

I won't take mine after what happened on a trip to Guatemala. I think the humidity ruined mine. The keys stopped working and it would have cost too much to repair, so I basically lost it. It was an older one anyway though , so I wasn't too heartbroken. I'm going to use the 7 days to break my addiction to internet I think :D ;) I will be using a cell phone though. Can't totally break ties to land LOL

(that, and a laptop is just a hassle in the airport..I'm travelin' as LIGHT as I can get away with this time)

I, too, am an internet junkie. I can't go 2 hours without checking my email or going on facebook..

Anyway..I have decided to leave the laptop behind and not use the internet cafe while gone. I look at it this way...The laptop is just another bag to lug around and worry about leaving behind...

But I do understand your issue...

this is why I am on the internet this morning before beginning my trip..

I had to laugh.... and "butt in"... i too am addicted to email and Face Book....:o

I might consider leaving the laptop home on a short cruise like a four day weekender. For a week or more I don't leave home without it. While I'm sure it has happened, I have never heard of anyone having their laptop stolen from their cabin. I think the risk is exceedingly low and have no concerns in this regard. When I unpack, the laptop stays out for the duration.

For ease and convenience I like to utilize the 220 vac outlet in the cabin that would otherwise go unused. Nearly all laptops sold in recent years are dual-voltage. You can verify this by looking at the power cord brick. If it says 110~240 vac, 50/60 htz. it is dual voltage and will work with the ship's 230 vac outlet. The only item you will need is a plug adapter or a second cord with the proper ends to plug the brick into the outlet. Here is how I set things up on our recent Gem cruise. I utilized the shelf where the water tray was. The 230 vac outlet was located here.

2006890500080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

2375220880080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

2774466780080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

if you think the internet or computer is something you will definitely be using on your vacation i think bringing your own laptop would be a better choice than using the cafe.

although i dont think i ever saw a line on our 2 RCCL cruises you will be able to use it whenever you want.

my husband is probably bringing his laptop with us because as he pointed out you dont have to be connected and using up minutes to write emails.

you can type out the email while disconnected then connect just to send it.

saves you some of the ridiculous charges.

the only thing i am worried about is what to do with the laptop while we are out of the cabin. it doesnt fit in the safe.

i dont know if theft is a problem on cruise ships but my thinking is that it would be pretty dumb for a room steward to steal a laptop since when something goes missing from someone's room they would be the first person the finger got pointed at.

Because we were spending the week after our cruise in Washington (DH had to work there for the week and I CANNOT go TWO weeks without mine!), we both had our laptops on our cruise last year. I never even thought about stashing them out of the way...they just sat in their cases in the closet (out of the way so I wouldn't be tripping over them..I'm clutzy at times).

We were not the least bit concerned about anyone, let alone our cabin steward taking them. It was just fine!:D

I always take the laptop. Not even a second thought.

All cabins have at least one 110 volt outlet, but with the right $3 adapter you can plug 95% of laptops and most cell chargers into the 220 volt. Just make sure it says up to 220 on the power brick.

Wireless is available in selected areas. ALWAYS carry an ethernet cable with you anyways. They weigh about 2 ozs.

You pay for internet access using your equipment or the ships. $.40 to $.75 per minute. Signup is easy. Just open an internet connection and it will walk you through it.

For internet junkies, you will NOT be spending much time daily between the slow connection and cost.

Another reason to take a laptop? Watching movies on the plane, or during layovers, etc.

In Guatemala I left my laptop on the ship. I always put it in a suitcase and slide it under the bed, locked, although I tend to agree that security is probably OK. I just don't want to take a chance on losing it.

I also agree that going thru security at airports is a major nuiscance.

We often leave ours out in the cabin. Many times I do put it away making it more difficult for somebody to find and take it. Putting the mouse and cord away is just as important, especially in a hotel room, where laptop theft is more common.

As to the airport - going through security is a major hassle. The computer part is easy, unzip, lay in a tray, pick back up and slide back into case. About 10 seconds on each end for me.

hey i have a question.

i am taking an online accounting class (zzzzzzzzzz) and i just realized i have a test scheduled for the week we'll be on the cruise (ruh roh)

i was looking up the per minuteprices on NCL.com and i came across a blurb that says in stateroom internet access is only available on the Pride of ALoha, Pride of America and one other ship (Sun? Gem?)

i thought for some reason internet access was available in all state rooms???? is that blurb only referring to Wi-Fi or do i have to go t the cafe to use internet on the laptop?

im in a real pickle over this test thing. i have a 90 minute window to complete it and hoefully i wont need that but say i take 30 minutes thats almost $25 just to take a stupid test!!! :eek:

hey i have a question.

i am taking an online accounting class (zzzzzzzzzz) and i just realized i have a test scheduled for the week we'll be on the cruise (ruh roh)im in a real pickle over this test thing. i have a 90 minute window to complete it and hoefully i wont need that but say i take 30 minutes thats almost $25 just to take a stupid test!!! :eek:

If you'll be in a port, perhaps you could find an Internet Cafe and save some big bucks!

We had a connection in our AE on the Jewel, but I don't know about any other cabins. We saw quite a few people with laptops sitting on the sofas right next to the Internet Cafe.

Another reason to take a laptop? Watching movies on the plane, or during layovers, etc.

We usually don't take ours, but DD had to on one cruise cause she had to complete and online class. We were so glad to have it when 1/2 of our group went on a Dolphin excursion and bought the DVD. Our entire group couldn't wait to see the DVD and the laptop worked perfect!

CG

Where would be the best place to get the adapter? I guess I should just go to the computer store or is it available in any store? Is it a travel item?

You probably need a cord like this one, it fits the 230 vac outlet onboard but may or may not fit your laptop brick. This place wants $10 for it but I'm sure you can find it for less.

http://www.laptoptravel.com/Product.aspx?ID=1033

I take mine when I go for downloading and organizing the pictures. We've had access in room on the Jewel and the Pearl, can't remember it was wireless or wired. My laptop is a Mac and it works no problem. The connection is slow though, so I try not to use the internet unless absolutely necessary.

Archived