Rx packing ?

Flipflopsnfrozendrinks

Hi,

We will be sailing on Constellation in 2 weeks!!! My Grandmother will be coming with us, and is concerned about packing her multiple medications. Is it okay for her to divide them into her daily use container (the plastic one that holds Mon, Tues, Weds, etc), or does she need to bring them in their original bottles for security? We are flying, so we have to go through airport and ship security.

Thanks,

Kim

Although we have never been asked, you are suppose to carry them in their original containers showing what the prescription is and the doctor who prescribed it. My husband is a diabetic and has pills for both morning and evening. He goes to our pharmacist and gets them blister-packed. The package has morning, noon, evening and night. They then stick onto the blister pack a print out of each prescription that's contained within the package. It is also very light weight, the size of an 8 x 11 piece of paper and will easily fit into a tote bag or large purse.

I use the weekly packs. I put them in my purse and have never been queried about them. If some prescriptions are liquid and over 3 ounces, I would have them in original bottle. My husband puts his in prescription containers that he has marked morning and night and carries them in his carry-on case. Again, he has never been questioned. Of course, neither of us, take anything narcotic that might be regulated. The only time my carry-on was checked was in San Juan. I had a 75 ml bottle of Curacao liquor. The agent didn't know the equivalent ounces (and neither did I at that time!) I had to empty it or throw it away. So for our cruise in April, I will use the weekly packs.

I've only been on three cruises, but I travel about 60% of the year for work. I also use the the weekly AM/PM medication organizer. On domestic (US) trips I just carry that. I've never had any problem. For international trips I used to also take the original prescription bottles, I was worried about customs agents. I would still use the medication organizer, but I would have the bottles available if anyone asked.

My firm has switched to a mail-order pharmacy so now I have huge 90-day bottles. I debated what to do on this last cruise. In the end, I left the huge bottles at home but brought the medication information papers that include my name and the doctor's name on them. I was thinking that if the boarder agent in Miami was that concerned, I could show him/her the forms and point out each pill. They only asked me if I purchased any liquor abroad, never went through the bags.

My parents are frequent fliers and Mom has a HUGE pill organizer that she carries with her. They have never been questioned about it.

We travel frequently as well, and I divide my daily 'doses' of supplements, et al into individual containers. I also carry small plastic bags of pain relievers, et al.

Never, ever had a problem either domestically or internationally.

Hope you and your family have a WONDERFUL cruise!!!

There are 2 things I find helps. Bring the drug information from the pharmacy pill container. I travel with an organizer but have been stop once by customs for verification of what the pills were in the organizer.

Also, bring a copy of you prescription for pills. Once I left one of my medications at home...a really important one. If it wasn't for the fact that I had a copy of the prescription, I nver would have had that prescription filled

I take a huge number of perscriptions per day as does my husband we bring our pill boxes filled with the weeks perscriptions and never had a problem, HOWEVER I also always bring the perscriptions themselves, means and extra carry on, one; in case I were asked, but Mainly because if we got detained in any way over the course of the trip I would NEED the additional meds with me. Just a thought.

Hi,

We will be sailing on Constellation in 2 weeks!!! My Grandmother will be coming with us, and is concerned about packing her multiple medications. Is it okay for her to divide them into her daily use container (the plastic one that holds Mon, Tues, Weds, etc), or does she need to bring them in their original bottles for security? We are flying, so we have to go through airport and ship security.

Thanks,

Kim

Kim,

Having experience with the legal / seizing side of this issue, I would recommend bringing them in their original containers and when you get on board, spend the 10 minutes to put them in the daily use containers. Although most people do not have an issue with medications being seized while flying, it has happened because technically, it is against federal and most state laws. Why take the chance that you wind up meeting that one TSA agent who is new and by the book and seizes the medication? It's ridiculous, but it does happen. Especially when the simple fix is to just pack them in their original containers and that way you can be assured that they will make it to your destination.

I've only been on three cruises, but I travel about 60% of the year for work. I also use the the weekly AM/PM medication organizer. On domestic (US) trips I just carry that. I've never had any problem. For international trips I used to also take the original prescription bottles, I was worried about customs agents. I would still use the medication organizer, but I would have the bottles available if anyone asked.

My firm has switched to a mail-order pharmacy so now I have huge 90-day bottles. I debated what to do on this last cruise. In the end, I left the huge bottles at home but brought the medication information papers that include my name and the doctor's name on them. I was thinking that if the boarder agent in Miami was that concerned, I could show him/her the forms and point out each pill. They only asked me if I purchased any liquor abroad, never went through the bags.

WE do the 90 day also on many medications and what I have been doing is save the previous bottle when I received the new refill. I will use that bottle and throw the approximate number of pills in it I will need. I am more concerned about dropping or accidentally losing the bottle with a three month supply so I avoid that.

Kim,

Having experience with the legal / seizing side of this issue, I would recommend bringing them in their original containers and when you get on board, spend the 10 minutes to put them in the daily use containers. Although most people do not have an issue with medications being seized while flying, it has happened because technically, it is against federal and most state laws. Why take the chance that you wind up meeting that one TSA agent who is new and by the book and seizes the medication? It's ridiculous, but it does happen. Especially when the simple fix is to just pack them in their original containers and that way you can be assured that they will make it to your destination.

That's what we do-- I out them all in one plastic organizing tote inside the carry-on, then use our weekly dividers after we get there. We also ask for smaller pill containers whnever we can get them-- some of them are just too huge for 90 pills..

Based upon my experience I would keep all prescription medication in the original vials. I take numerous medications and am a diabetic. In Barcelona when boarding a flight I had to go through each of my medications telling the security agent what it was, who prescribed it and what it was for. They made me throw away all the vitamin supplements before I could board the flight. Imagine my problem if I had to go 12 hours without being able to take my insulin (4 times daily). I would rather be safe than sorry.

When we first started traveling after retirement, I too was concerned about medication and security issues. Our HMO issues 90-day supplies in large containers and I mentioned to the pharmacist one day, when picking up a refill, how difficult it was to pack such big bottles. Much to my surprise and delight, she supplied me with small pill bottles for each medication with the appropriate prescription labeling and now I know to ask the pharmacist for the smaller bottles when refilling prescriptions close to sailing time.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Gram will get smaller bottles and divide them out once onboard. We will also bring original Rxs for just in case. Can I admit my DH is a pharmacist, and I still had to ask on the boards? In his defense, he is a clinical pharmacist at a hospital, so his patients are not flying anywhere....

Thanks again, one less thing to worry about.

Kim

I had the same questions, as I have alot of meds. I found this on the TSA website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm#content

All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed.

We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) migraine inhalers and CO2 refills.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they been screened.

Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

• You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise you medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.
  • If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.
  • Request the visual inspection and hand your medication pouch/bag to the Security Officer.
  • In order to prevent contamination or damage to medication and associated supplies and/or fragile medical materials, you will be asked at the security checkpoint to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during the visual inspection process.
  • Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

Kim,

This is VERY good advice. The likelihood of anything happening is slight, but it does happen. It may have nothing to do with you, but sometimes there are days when the agents are told to check one passenger every 30 minutes, or some other random amount of time. There are all sorts of ways of documenting your medication, but keeping your medication in their "CURRENT" "DATED" bottles is the most acceptable. Why take any chances? If this is not possible, or if you prefer to go another route, always bring the medication description that you received from your pharmacy. Besides having your name and the medication name on it, there is a description of the actual pill, "small green round pill."

Steve

One additional comment.

Taking your medication past the TSA agent in your local airport is one thing, but traveling to another country is something much more of an issue. While the TSA might not require your medication to be in its own bottles, other countries requirements might be much different.

I had the same questions, as I have alot of meds. I found this on the TSA website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm#content

If you want to bank on this, that is entirely up to you. However, as I Fly pointed out, other countries may have different processes.

One other thing I would like to point out is that you are quoting the TSA, who have zero sworn law enforcement authority. If you take a controlled substance (such as Xanax, Ambien, Hydrocodone, Oxycontin, etc), you fall under Federal Law. Not TSA's policies. Your choice, but you might want to rethink banking on the TSA. Just a friendly piece of advice from someone who applies drug laws on a daily basis. :)

Archived