Solstice - 2/8/09 -- just returned!

MLinFL

We also just returned from the 2/8/09 Solstice sailing. We were impressed with the beautiful ship. We especially loved the productions shows. The Solstice show, in my opinion, was the best show I have ever seen on a cruise ship (and we have been on 30). If you have ever been to a "Cirque-type" show in Vegas or Orlando, then you have an idea of what this show was about. The performers were amazing!

We ate all of our evening meals in the Main Dining Room and were satisfied with them. They were not outstanding and they were NOT as good as the meals we have experienced on past Celebrity cruises, but you won't go hungry :). The desserts were disappointing. We were traveling with another couple who did not wish to try the specialty restaurants and for that reason, we did not go to any of them either this trip, prefering to dine with our friends.

The weather was a little disappointing the first couple of days - not that anyone could do anything about that. We stayed on board the day we were in San Juan. We had been there many times and we did not feel like walking around in the rain. The day in St. Kitts was also bad weather. We went on the Scenic Railroad, but it was difficult to see much through the rain-spattered windows. Thankfully, by the time we got to St. Martin, it was sunny and warm. The sea days were lovely also. We enjoyed the time we spent on our aft balcony and didn't participate in many of the activities. They seemed to have more "drinking" type activities, such as wine-tasting and other liquor tasting events than I remember in the past.

We were in CC aft balcony - 1670.

I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou, thanks for posting! I have a quick question for you... about rainy port days. We're booked in a CC1 on the 2/22 Solstice sailing.

How many umbrellas were provided in your cabin? We don't mind walking in the rain but if I need to bring extras it would be nice to know - thank you!

Dawn

How many umbrellas were provided in your cabin? We don't mind walking in the rain but if I need to bring extras it would be nice to know - thank you!

Dawn

You will find one large umbrella in your cabin. Simply ask your cabin attendant for an additional one, if needed. Hope this helps.:)

We are booked in Cabin 1670 for the E. Med cruise from Rome on May 25. It is our first aft cabin. What were the advantages/disadvantages? Any photos?

Thanks. Just signed up with cruisecritic and this is my first posting.

Promisekeeper, Join our May 25th roll call and meet some of the other cruisers on your trip. You can also sign up for the Connections Party for our cruise. It is a very active roll call.

We are booked in Cabin 1670 for the E. Med cruise from Rome on May 25. It is our first aft cabin. What were the advantages/disadvantages? Any photos?

Yes... please join us on our Roll Call. We are a very fun bunch!:D You can click the link at the bottom of my signature. Please come on over... there is much going on...:)

Hope to see you there!

Welcome back Mary Lou. Glad you enjoyed Solstice. We will be back on her in 4 weeks and can't wait. What time were you able to board?

We arrived around 10:45am and went right in to the check-in desk. At that time, there was no waiting. There is a separate line for Aqua Class and Concierge Class. After that, they directed the CC and AC and Suites people upstairs to a waiting area where they had coffee, and cookies. Around 11:30 they started the boarding first with the Suites, then the AC and then the CC. We were onboard by 12 noon. They told us that our cabins would not be ready until 1pm, so we went up to the Oceanview Cafe and had lunch. We were in our cabin shortly after 1pm.

Enjoy - it is a beautiful ship!

Mary Lou

We love the aft balconies and get one whenever we can. The advantages are the wonderful views, especially of the wake. I love sitting on the balcony in the morning, watching the wake in the beautiful sea as I sip my coffee.

The disadvantages are: you can't see where you are going :) (but you can turn on the TV and see the view from the bridge for that); you sense more movement back there and on the first couple of days, it was very bumpy. If that bothers you, you might want to be more mid-ship; you are very far from the theater as it is in the very front of the ship.

The cabin itself was very nice. However, it had the bed closer to the sliding door. We usually have a cabin where the bed is closer to the bathroom and the couch is closer to the sliding door. It is not a big deal, but on days when it was raining and we were reading in the cabin, we had to turn on the lights. If the couch was next to the sliding door, there would be more light. As I said, a minor nit. On the Solstice, I was told that the cabin configuration is alternated -- one would be like ours with the bed near the sliding door and the one next to it would have the bed near the bath.

I did take photos. I will post when I get them up on a site for viewing.

Mary Lou

Eileen and Howard -

Tnx for the info re: umbrellas. Sometimes the provided ones are a bit TOO big for walking around town :)... Since we're a larger group, I'll likely bring extra teeny collapsible ones. Also good for sun protection if you find yourself out all day sometimes! There's not always a shady spot...

Thanks again!

We arrived around 10:45am and went right in to the check-in desk. At that time, there was no waiting. There is a separate line for Aqua Class and Concierge Class. After that, they directed the CC and AC and Suites people upstairs to a waiting area where they had coffee, and cookies. Around 11:30 they started the boarding first with the Suites, then the AC and then the CC. We were onboard by 12 noon. They told us that our cabins would not be ready until 1pm, so we went up to the Oceanview Cafe and had lunch. We were in our cabin shortly after 1pm.

Mary Lou

On our cruise Elite members were also directed to this area--but only if you arrive before it fills up..they did a good job keeping us posted & then getting us onboard as soon as ship was cleared..

I always bring my micro umbrella asa back up--works great in the sun too!

Mary Lou

It is an awesome ship. Our new favorite.

I just wanted to let you know that although I was booked in Aqua Class I was not sent upstairs, but waited with everyone else. It was only about 10 minutes. I thought the sign pointing upstairs to the suite waiting area only listed suites, but I really did not pay a lot of attention. I did not push the issue, so I might have been able to go upstairs to wait. I noticed as we passed the area they have people taking specialty restaurant reservations. The Embarkation process was quick and easy. We did not have to wait to get our boarding cards and their was a special line for Aqua Class, but it did not look like anyone was waiting very long.

Wow, this is great to be able to get info like this before a cruise! We have been cruising 15 years, this is our 18th cruise and I can't believe I never signed up for cruise critic before now. We've heard about it from other cruisers. We will definitely sign up for the connections party and take advantage of all that experience and knowledge out there.

The pictures were very helpful. I will be sure to do the same for others when we return from this cruise.

This will be our 2nd Celebrity Cruise, but we have done about 15 on Royal Caribbean and are Diamond Members, which gives us elite status in the Captain's Club. This will be our first BtoB cruise. We will board on May 15 for the 10 day cruise (our 25th wedding anniversary), and will stay on for the 11 day starting on the 25th.

We are in Bradenton FL. I see there are other FL residents out there. My husband is the "Promisekeeper"; it is the name of our boat here in Florida. We look forward to meeting everyone on board in May.

Archived