Does Kindle work on the ship??

suzyed

:confused::confused:Ok...tell me about the Kindle.

Can you use it on the ship?

Do you have to be in a "hot spot".

I am looking at the new wireless kindle. Kindle 2.

Anyone have one?

What do you think?

How much are the book downloads?

:confused::confused::confused:

:confused::confused:Ok...tell me about the Kindle.

Can you use it on the ship?

Do you have to be in a "hot spot".

I am looking at the new wireless kindle. Kindle 2.

Anyone have one?

What do you think?

How much are the book downloads?

:confused::confused::confused:

Book downloads are generally $9.99.

You will be better off downloading any books you want to take before getting on the ship. Once downloaded you don't need to be connected.

If your cruise is 3 months away, I wouldn't count on getting a Kindle 2 prior to going. Nobody has a Kindle 2, because it hasn't even been released yet.

Howard

Book downloads are generally $9.99.

You will be better off downloading any books you want to take before getting on the ship. Once downloaded you don't need to be connected.

If your cruise is 3 months away, I wouldn't count on getting a Kindle 2 prior to going. Nobody has a Kindle 2, because it hasn't even been released yet.

Howard

OK..thanks for the info!

Do you know when it is supposed to be released?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Generation/dp/B00154JDAI/ref=amb_link_83624371_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1F0QVA5RAS853YA4S4TC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=469942651&pf_rd_i=507846

People who ordered Kindles 2 and 3 months ago still have not received theirs and have been rolled over to Kindle 2.

Get in line.

Howard

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Generation/dp/B00154JDAI/ref=amb_link_83624371_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1F0QVA5RAS853YA4S4TC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=469942651&pf_rd_i=507846

People who ordered Kindles 2 and 3 months ago still have not received theirs and have been rolled over to Kindle 2.

Get in line.

Howard

Hey Howard...good to see you're still here... haven't seen you in a while.

Hi from Daniel & Stephen

Get in line.

Howard

Ahhhh yes, but those of us who have enjoyed the original Kindle actually have first dibs on the Kindle 2 if we so desire (I do not).

There are other threads on the C/C boards regarding this, but to answer the OP.

You will be able to enjoy the Kindle with books you have downloaded prior to leaving the states. The Kindle uses Sprint for their wireless, if that is not available on the ship you will not be able to download books.

As to the cost. Someone mentioned generally $9.99. This is true for newer books. However older books will sell in the $6-7 range and you can actually get some for under a buck. You can also pay more.

I believe I have read the K2 starts shipping the end of February, however there is a backlog of 2-3 months.

They are being delivered for those who signed up starting Feb 25. Place an order and it will show delivery date.

Anyone know the answer to the OP's question though? Is there connectivity for Kindles (generation shouldn't matter) while at sea? What about foreign ports?

They are being delivered for those who signed up starting Feb 25. Place an order and it will show delivery date.

Anyone know the answer to the OP's question though? Is there connectivity for Kindles (generation shouldn't matter) while at sea? What about foreign ports?

:o The post right above yours answers the OP's question....

:o The post right above yours answers the OP's question....

Thanks all for your very informative replies!

One question that I didn't see the answer to: With the original Kindle, do I have to find a hot spot on the ship? Or can it be used anywhere? :confused:

Also, one more question....how do you all like the Kindle...worth the money? :confused:

Thanks again guys!

One question that I didn't see the answer to: With the original Kindle, do I have to find a hot spot on the ship? Or can it be used anywhere? :confused:

The original Kindle is no different than Kindle 2 - it is not Wifi - it is cellular - you do not need a Wifi hotspot. Anywhere that Sprint provides 3G coverage is fine.

http://www.showmycoverage.com/mycoverage.jsp?id=A102ZON

Howard

I have a somewhat different question about ebooks. I am thinking about taking one on our upcoming cruise but I'm just wondering about what to do with it at lunch time.

With a paperback, I just leave it with my other stuff (suntan lotion, towel, etc) on my lounger while we go eat at the buffet. No worries!

Now, I am NOT suggesting in ANY WAY that people on cruises are "criminals" :eek:, but would you be comfortable leaving your Kindle/ebook on your lounger when you went for lunch? I would put it away in my tote bag but still....:o

Thanks!!

suzyed...I LOVE my kindle (I got the original one for Christmas) and just saw that they were offering the kindle 2 now. It looks similar...just some minor differences (faster page turns, more storage on the actual device and somewhat sleeker...although mine is pretty thin as it is.)

I love to read and really enjoy having to only carry my kindle when I travel vs. all the books.

I'm very happy with my Kindle (1g). There are so many free books to download - out of copyright, classics, etc that can be found for free in the kindle .azw format - visit manybooks.net to search for some and download to your computer. All you have to do it plug in your Kindle to your computer and drag then into your Kindle...easy.

LeAnn

I have a somewhat different question about ebooks. I am thinking about taking one on our upcoming cruise but I'm just wondering about what to do with it at lunch time.

With a paperback, I just leave it with my other stuff (suntan lotion, towel, etc) on my lounger while we go eat at the buffet. No worries!

Now, I am NOT suggesting in ANY WAY that people on cruises are "criminals" :eek:, but would you be comfortable leaving your Kindle/ebook on your lounger when you went for lunch? I would put it away in my tote bag but still....:o

Thanks!!

I'm thinking I would be a bit more "protective" of mine. No sense "encouraging" someone.:eek:

1. Can you read off the Kindle while on a cruise - absolutely, just make sure you bring the power adapter to recharge the battery.

2. Can you download books. Howard (rsinj) answered that. If Sprint 3G coverage is available you can. Big question is is that coverage available on the ship or in the port you are on/at?

Download 4 or 5 good novels before you go, pack the power adapter and you should be good to go.

suzyed -

Bear in mind that you can download (and store) hundreds, yes, hundreds of books on your Kindle. Once you have downloaded enough books for your cruise, you don't have to be concerned about connecting to any network. All you probably need is electricity to recharge the battery. It will work inside the ship and outside. However, you may have a glare problem outside. I have an iPod touch that 'lives' in my shirt pocket. I don't leave it anywhere, even though you'd need two separate passwords to get at any sensitive info. Any time I have a few minutes to kill, I continue reading whatever book I am currently on. It's not a Kindle, but it'll do.

I'm thinking I would be a bit more "protective" of mine. No sense "encouraging" someone.:eek:

That is what DH is thinking. My "problem" is I don't really feel like carrying it around for lunch - oh the trials and tribulations of cruising :p!!

That is what DH is thinking. My "problem" is I don't really feel like carrying it around for lunch - oh the trials and tribulations of cruising :p!!

Two thoughts . . . the first is mine.

Either run to the room before lunch, or leave it in the room til after lunch.

The second is my wife's.

Let the DH carry it around. :D

I would not ever leave my Kindle anywhere unattended for fear it would magically sprout legs and walk away........ never to be seen again by me! They are great for a cruise or any vacation where you might want to read a lot and don't want to take a lot of books. And the beauty of downloading several books is if you get bored with one you can switch to another immediately! It's not quite the same as reading a book, but it sure beats hauling around hardbacks!

Archived