Are you First class or Steerage?

The problem is not the 'reserved' chairs, but the fact that the cruise line does not enforce their own policies about savinbg chairs. If they did, there wouldn't be a concern or issue with reserved chairs for suite or any other passengers.

Aye. This is one of my pet peeves. I understand why folks do it, but I get annoyed at the inefficient use of resources. In our day and age there must be a better way. Hmm... Thinking...

Very interesting thread! I love seeing all of the points of view, it broadens my own.

Thanks to those who shared their opinions without judging the opinions of others. That's what I love about sites like this. We can say what we think or test out an idea without it changing the way people in our "real life" think about us. It's like a little social experiment. (If I say this people get angry, so don't say this in real life... If I say that, people think it's funny... If I say something else, some like it, others don't...) :cool:

Absolutely right on!

The problem is not the 'reserved' chairs, but the fact that the cruise line does not enforce their own policies about savinbg chairs. If they did, there wouldn't be a concern or issue with reserved chairs for suite or any other passengers.

The only reason they need to have reserved chairs is because they refuse to deal with the root cause problem of people saving chairs at 06:00 AM on sea days.

On the last cruise I was on they had attendents walking around with specila shirts indicating they were they to monitor and deal with saving chairs, but they didn't. What a waste.

They should deal with the problem instead of creating additional issues for all passengers. JMO.

Spot on!!!

It's a shame the 'chair police' did not actually handle the situation any better.

I'm thinking-if RC would just put two folks out there early in the morning-many more spaces would be available. It's really hard to monitor that during rush hour but early morning its pretty fair to say-at 6AM-it's a chair hog and if a RC employee said- see you after breakfast-no saving-voila.

I think the issue is not paying staff to actually do this job. Cut backs require them to be other places then chair monitors.

Look at it this way. If you have ever hoged a chair-and you see a roped off section for suite passengers and it ticks you off-you contributed to the new policy you don't like!!!:p

I don't even know you but your statement is exactly a statement of a storefront and a typical "I am better than you..." battle.

I have encountered all kinds of people on cruises; suite passengers, inside deck 2, gold members, no status, diamond, diamond plus....

I have yet to sling around my status or my cabin selection because it just simply doesn't matter. The behavior you describe about D and DP members I have observed too but I also observed that type of "I own the world attitude" from suite passengers.

The loyalty status gives me certain perks based on the C & A program. I do not feel entitled to more. I want to be treated in a bar just like a new cruisers. If the waitress wishes to give me more personal service so be it as long as the couple first time cruisers on the next table are being put off.

As a suite passenger you have certain perks which are written down as well. Beyond that you are not entitled to anything else. In a bar you should be treated just like the person on deck 2.

And what about this statement from you?

If on my next cruise I see one of those roped of areas and I see a handful of 'suite passengers' in there I'll play a joke on them and will grab me 30 'normal' passengers, we'll turn our pool loungers around, sit in front of them and will just stare at those 'suities' for the next two hours.

Because that's what they want: attention. Attention they shall get. LMAO.

I stand by my comments. I have read them right here on the board and experienced it on board ships in the Concierge lounge. Don't get in the way of some Diamond Plus passengers. They will let you know who they are and fast.

I also find it laughable on this thread that some of the ones upset with this new series of amenities are Diamond Plus who also receive special treatment on board. Perhaps they feel a little slighted. Hmmmm!!!!;)

The chair issue will never be fixed until cruise lines do something like this...

When you find a chair you wish to use, you must slide your sea pass into a slot located somewhere on the chair itself. The card must be slid every 20-30 minutes or else a little red flag pops up to let people know the chair is available.

Hey...it's my idea and I'm standing behind it! Until that little flag pops up and then I'm sitting down :p

Actually this Gold/Silver/White card stuff may backfire.

Some (not all) Suite passengers feel that they own the worl especially with the distinct difference in card color now.

Last cruise on the Grandeur a funny thing happened in the Schooner Bar.

We were sitting at a table with the Schooner Bar pretty full. Some couple came in looking for a table. They pulled over a waitress, slung their gold card out and said "we are suite passengers as you can see. We would like to have a table now."

The waitress looked at them like they are from another planet. She said very friendly "well if you can find a table go right ahead. It is an unhosted venue."

So, the guy said firmly "did you not hear what I said. We are suite passengers.." flung his card in the air and continued "we should have priority and we want a table".

She looked at the card and said nicely "it is really nice that you are a suite passenger but I could contradict your argument that you also have no status. I will not kick a diamond or diamond plus member off their table just for a suite guest."

The couple left steaming.

We talked about it and she told us staff does not like this kind of visual distinction at all. Before it was just a take the card and slide it. Now people expect better service. She also told me that within most staff a repeat cruiser will always be above anything for them regardless of the color of the card and the bottom line is that all cruisers should receive Gold Anchor service. She also said that it might intimidate the newer staff but people like her who is for 8 years with RCI it just pulls a smile.

She also noted that most suite passengers are good about it and really do not make a big deal about it.

She told us the next day that the couple complained at customer relations. But they sided with her.

Unfortunately society is all about "store front" without caring what's inside.

A card distinction between suites, junior seats and the rest of the passengers is such a store front. It may satisfy those who need to show everybody "hey look I am in a suite" but it really does not say anything about their character, behavior and/or treatment of staff.

If on my next cruise I see one of those roped of areas and I see a handful of 'suite passengers' in there I'll play a joke on them and will grab me 30 'normal' passengers, we'll turn our pool loungers around, sit in front of them and will just stare at those 'suities' for the next two hours.

Because that's what they want: attention. Attention they shall get. LMAO.

In the mean time I find this whole thing funny as hell.....

:D

We were on the same cruise. I was wondering what all the commotion was about. Sounds like this couple needs to by a suite on the World. Maybe then they will get the recognition they believe they "so call" deserve.

I am sure this NEVER happens aboard a cruise ship, but if you were up to no good and looking for a target, who would you look for? The guy occasionally using a common white seapass, or the guy constantly waving the gold card in everybody's face.

If I ever travel in a suite again, I don't think I want to call that kind of attention to myself. Give me an ordinary white card. My room is my business, I don't care for the rest of the passengers and crew to know about it unless necessary.

I am sure this NEVER happens aboard a cruise ship, but if you were up to no good and looking for a target, who would you look for? The guy occasionally using a common white seapass, or the guy constantly waving the gold card in everybody's face.

If I ever travel in a suite again, I don't think I want to call that kind of attention to myself. Give me an ordinary white card. My room is my business, I don't care for the rest of the passengers and crew to know about it unless necessary.

I do believe the majority of suite passengers would agree with you. :)

As long as my own personal cruise experience isn't affected, I don't really care at all.

All I ask (and pay for) is a comfortable cabin with a balcony, good food served in pleasant surroundings, some entertainment, a seat at the Caribbean Stud table a couple of times, a friendly bartender and good weather.

If I ever decide to go for the "bells and whistles", I'll pay for it by upgrading my cabin selection.. That won't happen, however. I cruise for the sea and as long as there is a balcony to watch from and a couple of interesting ports, I'm happy. What others have/get is totally irrelevant to me.

Originally Posted by bajathree

"Like all else change never seems to be taken well. However in reality this was long overdue....RCCL had some of the weakest suite perks afloat. Also keep in mind that with the new economy upon us, it has thrust a HUGE price difference between suites and all other cabins. Suites are rarely reduced in price while most all other cabins due to how many there are have been seeing markdowns like never before. I will give an example of my IOS sailing. They just marked all balconies other than D1s down to $899/pp and most all interiors to $649/pp. That is is contrast to a GS costing $3449/pp and an OS costing $4149 when they were available....chances of ever seeing a price reduction on these suites are very slim. If RCCL wants to try to keep their suite guests booking future cruises while at the same time preventing them from bailing out on their current suites and moving into lesser rooms they had to do something. In actuality this only benefits all as the more they mark those very money making suites down the less money RCCL has to lower other categories...either that or they are headed for more serious near term financial problems than they are already facing. It is a known fact in the industry that suites are very profitable for cruise lines and trying to preserve the prices they demand is of topmost importance right now. With everything this economy has cast upon us, it's come down to nothing more than survival at this point and companies are scrambling just trying to do what they can to stay alive. "

Well said.

We experienced the suite perks on Freedom in January. We really,really liked them. So much so we changed our Voyager med cruise cabins to a suite instead of 2 connecting D1's. So their marketing strategy is working with some of us. I am willing to pay more for these things. (Voyager suite is over $8000 for 4 of us). Ultimately that means the cost of other cabin categories should stay lower, which others benefit from. furthermore, we almost always book suites, and I don't recall a price drop ever.

As far as the reserved seating, don't blow it out of proportion until you see it. The areas in the theater and ice rink are small, very small. And the pool chair area is also relatively small compared to the # of chairs on deck. And there were plenty of available deck chairs elsewhere around the pool. The only folks I saw struggling for chairs are those who showed up at 1PM- no surpise there. (And if pool attendents did somthing about chair hogs that wouldn't be an issue.) Also there is no shade in the reerved area, not at all useful for those who burn.

The gold Seapass was neither here nor there. I did not notice any difference in service because of it.

So please don't get in an uproar until you see it for yourself. Then make up your mind. Obviously I like it because we are getting a few really nice perks for the high-priced cabin. But for those who don't want the high-price, the extra perks should not negatively impact your cruise. Just wait and see it for yourself, you'll see what I mean.

To add to this thread- There was no attitude of steerage vs first class by staff or any pax I saw. The title of this thread is a gross exaggeration.

Just a quick question :confused: Does anyone happen to know where the reserved chairs are on Explorer. We have 4 families travelling together at Easter, 2 in GS and 2 not. Are there 'unreserved chairs' close by the roped off areas for the 'steerage' to sit near the rest of their group ;)

So, this behavior is superior to the "suite passengers" behavior in what way? These folks are just following the "rules" and enjoying the perks that RCCL has deemed they deserve (reserved deck chairs specifically) and you have taken it upon yourself to try to belittle other cruisers because of this.

I think you are a little more then slightly misguided with this suggested behavior. You should direct your "issues" to RCCL and not the other cruisers who are there, like you, to enjoy their vacation.

For goodness sakes, some of you are fretting about the color of a seapass card.

Let's see, how have I read it on other threads concerning other issues....oh yes.......if you don't like RCCL's rules, move to another cruiseline of your liking. Obviously said tongue-in-cheek and hopefully some of you see how silly that comment really is when used in other threads.

I believe you and I had the silent agreement not to respond to each other anymore.

But since you did. Please see my smiley face below that comment indicating it to be a joke.

I certainly don't waste my time on a cruise to sit and stare.

I believe you and I had the silent agreement not to respond to each other anymore.

But since you did. Please see my smiley face below that comment indicating it to be a joke.

I certainly don't waste my time on a cruise to sit and stare.

You are wrong. One thing that bothers my DW the most is my memory is keen and not only can I recall things too well for her, but I also remember them in detail. However she is also the first to admit it has been for the better much more then the worse. The one nice thing about a PC is you can not only remember things but you can also link proof if required.

First we had no such agreement. There was a particular subject that I agreed to disagree since you appeared to have little knowledge of the subject matter you were talking about (hint: variable vs. fixed costs in relation to the thread on RCCL would not lower pricing) and I can link it if you want. What I did post was that I would be willing to agree to disagree since it was clear you had no, or very little, financial background.

Second, you are wrong about a smiley face. People hide behind the smiley face so they can say it is a joke. Your message is clear. You went on and on about your experience with one couple in a suite. What was your purpose and intent....that this behavior occurs only in people who are in suits.

Anyone can say it was a joke because of a "smiley face". But you've made your feelings known and the message conveyed cannot be mistaken for a joke regardless of "smileys". If I was to end this by saying extremely uncomplimentary things about you and put a smiley on it, can I then say it was only a joke. :D

You are wrong. One thing that bothers my DW the most is my memory is keen and not only can I recall things too well for her, but I also remember them in detail. However she is also the first to admit it has been for the better much more then the worse. The one nice thing about a PC is you can not only remember things but you can also link proof if required.

First we had no such agreement. There was a particular subject that I agreed to disagree since you appeared to have little knowledge of the subject matter you were talking about (hint: variable vs. fixed costs in relation to the thread on RCCL would not lower pricing) and I can link it if you want. What I did post was that I would be willing to agree to disagree since it was clear you had no, or very little, financial background.

Second, you are wrong about a smiley face. People hide behind the smiley face so they can say it is a joke. Your message is clear. You went on and on about your experience with one couple in a suite. What was your purpose and intent....that this behavior occurs only in people who are in suits.

Anyone can say it was a joke because of a "smiley face". But you've made your feelings known and the message conveyed cannot be mistaken for a joke regardless of "smileys". If I was to end this by saying extremely uncomplimentary things about you and put a smiley on it, can I then say it was only a joke. :D

WOW!

This is kind of like a deja vu thing going on here...

:cool::eek::D:rolleyes::p

Sorry Mike but you will not drag me in your constant personal attack battles. Your record speaks for itself. Your responses in this thread to me are proof.

You want to 'speak' subject please do so but don't tell me what I meant to write and that I hide behind smiley faces attempting to cover my intent.

The end.

Sorry Mike but you will not drag me in your constant personal attack battles. Your record speaks for itself. Your responses in this thread to me are proof.

You want to 'speak' subject please do so but don't tell me what I meant to write and that I hide behind smiley faces attempting to cover my intent.

The end.

Speaking of whining..............

I will never understand what the big deal is about all of this.

You pay more, you get more. What is so difficult to understand???

It is only simple 'common' sense but therein is the 'rub', sense isn't so common and besides while lots of folks like to exchange ideas some just enjoy disagreeing & 'mixing it up' and they do it well on here at times..

Of course, sometimes its a tad overdone and borders on rudeness but most is usually informative & entertaining...IMO anyway!!

Have happy cruisin'! :)

As a frequent "suite" guest, I must make a brief comment to all whom have been so consumed by the notion of my "out of suite" room perks...GET OVER IT....STOP THE WHINING ALREADY!

No individual should be classified based upon room type. I will enjoy all if not most of my "in and out of suite" perks.

I never did understand the "chair hog" problem. DH and I are not "chair" people; however, on our recent Explorer cruise, he wanted to sit in the sun. We went to the Solarium and saw numerous chairs with towels on them. One even had a full glass of Coke (no ice) beside it. We asked the lady in the adjoining chair if someone had been there recently, and she said no. We moved the Coke and removed the towels. No problem. No one ever showed up.

Why is that so hard?

As a frequent "suite" guest, I must make a brief comment to all whom have been so consumed by the notion of my "out of suite" room perks...GET OVER IT....STOP THE WHINING ALREADY!

No individual should be classified based upon room type. I will enjoy all if not most of my "in and out of suite" perks.

Well, that seems to be becoming a standard come back when ever there is a discussion around here on any subject that raises a bit of controversy. If you don't like the "whining" don't read the thread.....

I honestly believe all the 'emotion' directed at people or 'perks' is a direct result of the cruise line not enforcing their own stated policy on saving chairs. No one would care about reserved chairs if there were plenty to choose from if the policy was enforced. The emotion comes from walking around a hot deck looking for a chair, and not being able to find one because they are all 'saved', and then looking at the block of reserved chairs not being used, and seeing the "Deck Staff" walking around not doing anything about the 'chair hogs'.

I personally being there should be perks for the various levels people are willing to pay for. The airline industry is a perfect example. I have flown first class on numerous occasions, and welcome the perks that come along with the extra cost. But those perks don't take away from the experience of the other passengers in coach. The reserved chairs for suite passengers wouldn't take away from the other passengers either, if they enforced their own policy on reserving chairs.

So all of you that have a suite (I have one on my next cruie), good for you, and I support the extra perks you get in and out of your room. Hopefully the crusie lines won't forget about the other passengers and follow their policy to ensure ALL passengers have a good time.

Happy sailing!!:D

I had to :D at the "steernage". I am picturing rowing in the bottom of the ship with a whipmaster, while others are dressed in tuxes and gowns

I think suite perks should be just that SUIITE PERKS. Fine get better chocolates, toiletries, pillows, towel animals whatever.

I resent when solariums or things are blocked off for group sailings

Public areas should be public areas. Just because I paid more and have a suite with a balcony I don't have any more right to a deck chair than a person with an interior lower floor cabin. I shouldn't have a pool seat, show seat or anything else waiting empty for me that I am not going to use.

I personally think the only reason for the new suite perks is they are not selling suites and this is there way of trying to get passengers to spend more and book a suite over a regular cabin. What a cheaper way to do it than rope off areas.

Cruising is no different than anything else - perks come along with your status. Like some others have said, for the price I wouldn't want to do a suite, and I am quite happy with what is offered to me. I don't need a robe, I can go around the ship to find my own chocolates. If I want the cheese plate and petit fors I'll order one of the packages. The cost of the cabin and the packages will be less than the suites anyway.

I am not usually at the pool; however, I do see that this may be a perk to some. My question is, what exactly do they qualify as "VIP seating?"

There are difference on the cards for each class already (new, platinum, Diamond, Diamond+). If the gold card is so "offensive" than all cards should be exactly the same.

Archived