Duty free shop Barcelona port?

MAZANDSTEVE

There is a duty free shop after security at Barcelona. I bought a bottle of champagne and I put it in my carry on case. No problems. Don't see why a UK cruiser should not be able to use it. It was selling to all nationalities.

Edited by mcca2

There is a duty free shop after security at Barcelona. I bought a bottle of champagne and I put it in my carry on case. No problems. Don't see why a UK cruiser should not be able to use it. It was selling to all nationalities.

Usually when in Europe we dont get Duty free, we get it going to the US though;)

Were there any stations where anyone was checking your carry on after you made your purchase in the duty free shop?

Last May on the Navigator, your carry on bags went through scanners in the port building before you did check in. The shop is after check in at the bottom of the escalator, before you go up to 'boarding level'. On our cruise there were no further checks of bags by RCI staff when boarding, so you could have carried 6 bottles on! Of course this might have changed, but thats what happened last May.

Simon

Last May on the Navigator, your carry on bags went through scanners in the port building before you did check in. The shop is after check in at the bottom of the escalator, before you go up to 'boarding level'. On our cruise there were no further checks of bags by RCI staff when boarding, so you could have carried 6 bottles on! Of course this might have changed, but thats what happened last May.

Simon

Exactly the same last November too- duty free shop after all the security shops just before you went up the escalator to board the ship. Your bags were not checked after this stage. Not sure what the prices were like though.

I have often wondered why more people don't mention this.

Edited by Albert Ross

I have often wondered why more people don't mention this.

Maybe people don't want the cruise line to realize this and put another security station when you board the ship? (hee-hee)

They actually do that on Adventure. Security before getting your sea pass, then security again when you board.

Mike

• 2 years later...
We were on Brilliance in November and yes the store was after the scanners. You still had to show your seapass card (put it in the machine) but there was no baggage check. We dropped our luggage and went back out and bought water, pop and wine. No problem.

I know this is an old thread but is this still the case? Who has sailed out of Barcelona recently on brilliance and knows about this duty free shop?

It's still there and no, there is no more checking of bags after the store. :D

Great! Thanks for the info.. So, no trip to the naughty room. Do you know if there is a decent selection of wine?

Great! Thanks for the info.. So, no trip to the naughty room. Do you know if there is a decent selection of wine?

No, not a great selection and, considering it is duty free, it is quite expensive compared to other places in Barcelona.

IMHO, the only reasons to shop there is if you do not want to carry it too far or to slip it past the pre-boarding checks for cruise lines that do not allow alcohol.

No, not a great selection and, considering it is duty free, it is quite expensive compared to other places in Barcelona.

IMHO, the only reasons to shop there is if you do not want to carry it too far or to slip it past the pre-boarding checks for cruise lines that do not allow alcohol.

If your ship is not leaving the EU you are not entitled to buy anything duty free!

Screwcork

If your ship is not leaving the EU you are not entitled to buy anything duty free!

Screwcork

We stop in Croatia which I do not believe is part of the EU so we should be ok..

• 2 months later...