Cruising Decisions

hmsdos

If you skipped a booking a cruise or cancelled a booking, why?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. If you skipped a booking a cruise or cancelled a booking, why?

• Economy
    • Reduction in benefits
    • Combination of the Economy and reduction in benefits
    • Another reason... please discuss below.

Have you recently thought about or cancelled a cruise... or "skipped" booking one.... just wondering, since that has happened to us. Wondered if the Economy is the major/only reason or if it is because of the RCCL benefit changes, or other reasons? In our case it was originally the economy, then with all the reductions on benefit/value we decided it was a reasonable consideration... so have not booked any new this year and have made a list of some cancellations we might make.

Have you recently thought about or cancelled a cruise... or "skipped" booking one.... just wondering, since that has happened to us. Wondered if the Economy is the major/only reason or if it is because of the RCCL benefit changes, or other reasons? In our case it was originally the economy, then with all the reductions on benefit/value we decided it was a reasonable consideration... so have not booked any new this year and have made a list of some cancellations we might make.

I haven't thought of canceling or skipping booking one, in fact I'm already enjoying researching our next , yet unbooked, cruise.

Once I've booked a cruise the only way I'd cancel is a family emergency and that may not cause me to cancel. On my parents anniversary cruise I started with what turned out to be a serious heart attack 2 days before we cruised, the heart attack hit on 2nd day and night of cruise. I spent the rest of the cruise in bed, spent a night in a hotel, flew home next day, saw family doctor 2 weeks later, in emergency surgery same day, heart stopped on 3 separate occasions over next 6 days, had machine put in my shest and I still look back fondly on that cruise because I was on a CRUISE.

I haven't thought of canceling or skipping booking one, in fact I'm already enjoying researching our next , yet unbooked, cruise.

Once I've booked a cruise the only way I'd cancel is a family emergency and that may not cause me to cancel. On my parents anniversary cruise I started with what turned out to be a serious heart attack 2 days before we cruised, the heart attack hit on 2nd day and night of cruise. I spent the rest of the cruise in bed, spent a night in a hotel, flew home next day, saw family doctor 2 weeks later, in emergency surgery same day, heart stopped on 3 separate occasions over next 6 days, had machine put in my shest and I still look back fondly on that cruise because I was on a CRUISE.

OMG... what an experience:eek: Glad the cruise became "the memory".... and that everything worked out.... :)

Hi Hmsdos: (met you on the Navigator;);))

With the exception of one cruise, we are finding ourselves booking either last minute shorter cruises or resident specials on smaller, medium sized ships vs. larger ships 7 days or longer......! The reduction in benefits has not affected our cruise experience, yet..if at all....:)

I skipped booking a weekend cruise in August, for our anniversary. With his hours cut, my guy is trading in vacation days to help lessen the blow. When he runs out of vacation, it will be a money issue. For now, it's a vacation-day issue.

We do have a cruise booked for March 2010. We have lots of time to cancel that if we have to. I hope we don't have to.

After RCCL demonstrated, through their Loyalty Program benefit cuts last Fall, that they were really interested in keeping me as a Royal Loyal, I canceled plans for a February cruise and went with another line. While on that line I booked another cruise with them and will cancel another RCCL cruise I had booked for the same timeframe and get my deposit back.

With a steady pension and safe investments that are not in the market, the "economy" is only helping me cruise more and there are plenty of other ships on the sea.

If anything i have booked and cruised more.

I have a decent job that is pretty resistant to the economic situation, kids will need rehab no matter what the rest of the world is doing. If anything we are getting busier with the ecomony (parents woking two jobs, lots of free time for the kiddos) With that said the job is good.

Prices for everything are fairly low, buying a house i could have never afforded prior to the bubble bursting (foreclosures are great!!!) Paying less for a house then what i did for rent.

I had a cruise in January, and one scheduled for December. If vacation time allowed it i would book another one this year, but oh well. So like i said if anything the ecomony is helping me cruise more. Less people cruising means empty ships, means better deals to fill them up, more cruise for my buck!!!

I cancelled a 7 night Princess cruise next year in an inside cabin for a 5 night Celebrity cruise with a royal suite because it basically worked out to be the same $$ in my opinion...I'll spend the other 2 days in Florida and do some sightseeing there

We were meant to do a 6 night transatlantic on QM2 last summer. But we had really bad weather here in the UK and as the time drew nearer, we realized we wanted some guaranteed sun and we weren't sure we'd get it on a transatlantic trip.

So, we went to Mexico instead. It was a bit of a pain to re-organize, as we'd already booked a non-cancellable flight back from New York. Next time, we won't book our flights until our plans are concrete.

It would appear that we are cruising a little more. What we are doing is cutting way back on our excursions and ship charges. We just spent $900 on IOS and that is just unacceptable...I think we'll set a limit of $400 on our next week long cruise (which we just booked!).

We've had some hour cut backs so the usual vacation income isn't coming in as fast as it used to. We're not skipping a cruise but are downgrading. Instead of the usual Jr suite, I've got an E1 booked for Serenade. Same thing for our upcoming HAL cruise - downgraded the cabin type to save money. We haven't decided what to do for 2011 yet. We wanted to take an eastern Med cruise but might decide on a Panama Canal cruise instead to save on air fare. I can live with a less expensive cabin on our cruise as long as I get one!

We haven't really reduced the number of cruises but work schedule has forced them to be shuffled around tyo different ships/dates.

We need to get away more now than ever, but it is more difficult because of various work related issues. That is life in the New World.

I just canceled my Jan 2010 cruise on the Radiance. To me it's a lack of loyalty from RCL, it seems to be one way. I am sailing in May on Rhapsody to Alaska which I am looking forward to. I'm looking to do the Panama canal in the fall and will consider other lines along with RCL. Previously I looked at RCL first but that was then and this is now.

We've had some hour cut backs so the usual vacation income isn't coming in as fast as it used to. We're not skipping a cruise but are downgrading. Instead of the usual Jr suite, I've got an E1 booked for Serenade. Same thing for our upcoming HAL cruise - downgraded the cabin type to save money. We haven't decided what to do for 2011 yet. We wanted to take an eastern Med cruise but might decide on a Panama Canal cruise instead to save on air fare. I can live with a less expensive cabin on our cruise as long as I get one!

Hear you.... we did the same thing on our upcoming shorter cruise :(

We cancelled a 12 nt. Med cruise for May of this year because the flights to Europe were so costly! No fear though, we are planning to take the trip next year instead - it also gave me the opportunity to book two closer to home this year for the same price! :)

-Pet

We cancelled our Explorer cruise out of NJ because we figured if my husband does lose his job, the money we saved will pay the mortgage for another 3-4 months. I thought the house was more important than a trip!

That being said, I did book another cruise yesterday on NCL. Much cheaper than Royal and I've heard good things about the ship. If my husband loses his job, we still have up to May 24 to cancel and get our deposit back.

Patty

CT

After returning from our Med cruise in October, we quickly booked a back to back for 2010. Due to the economy, which really started tanking while we were on the cruise, we are skipping a big vacation this year but hopefully will be able to keep our plans for next year. All we can do at this point is save $$ where we can so we get through this mess.

Aubie

I had booked the Oasis Inaugural but after the economy tanked and I lost one of my retirement funds, I cancelled because the cost of the cruise would serve me better if it stayed in my account:p. But I do have a cruise booked for 2010 and I'm planning for 2011.

I had booked the Oasis Inaugural but after the economy tanked and I lost one of my retirement funds, I cancelled because the cost of the cruise would serve me better if it stayed in my account:p. But I do have a cruise booked for 2010 and I'm planning for 2011.

We have the inaugural booked... but don't know if we can "hold" it.... sorry about your retirement funds... wow... things are tough! Think you made a good decision... hope to see you on a cruise in 2010!!!:)

Archived