WindJammer for all meals

I respect your right to do what you feel is appropriate. Since tips are not mandatory, it is certainly your choice.

This is the reason that we tip well above and beyond. The waitstaff is tipped less than the price of a single drink per day. We budget for generous tipping and have been fortunate to receive fabulous service. However, we realize that there will be those that opt not to tip or tip less than recommended.

Since I have no control over the behavior of others, I tend not to focus on it. When I see something like this, I focus on what I can control, my own behavior.

How do you figure that they are tipped less than the price of a single drink per day? On my first cruise there were at least 8 people at my table, and the waiter had multiple tables that he was responsible for, at least three as I recall. That means the waiter could expect $28/per table /per seating. Figure a minimum of 3 tables=$84/ seating. Two seatings a night=$168/per night. Personally, I think they have more tables, but when I was there it was at least three. FWIW, we barely saw him on that first cruise when I actually ate dinner at the MDR, because of all the other diners/tables he was taking care of. This is part of the reason (though only a very minimal part) that I have no interest in the MDR. Honestly, I don't think the service I get there is worth the 'suggested' tips! I hate to break this to everyone, and have avoided broaching this topic until now. 15% is a standard, average tip for a meal in a restaurant on land. Between the Waiter, Assistant, and Head Waiter, the standard, recommended tip in the dining room is $6.25 per night. By that standard we are tipping as though this meal cost roughly $41.85. I am saying that I think we are over tipping because I openly deny that the MDR meal is worth $41.85! FWIW, I can get steak every night for less that is equal (and sometimes better than) the MDR offerings. AND, I am not even getting into the $14.95 'steak option' issue here. But if I did then that means that RCCL is valuing that 'optional' steak at $56.95!

I'd rather go with Chops at $20, get GREAT service, and a fillet mignon for just a few bucks more - tips included! Yeah, I know that they just upped it to $25 and that isn't making me happy. And, it will effect how often I choose to dine there.

Now, I have read this thread from the start. AND, I have not commented on what people 'know' the waiters are paid. :mad: But I can't keep this down any longer and now I am officially throwing the B*llSh*t flag out on the field on this topic. :mad: I have seen numbers thrown out that waiters are 'supposedly' being paid with absolutely no supporting evidence! :mad: Actually, the best source I see for estimating how much the waiters make is found in post 55 of this thread. According to the post a captain's wife gave the range of a waiters average wages as between $2000-$3500/mo. According to my earlier calculations the tips on three tables of 8 end up at $1176/ per 7 day week. Given that we know that the waiters rotate the WJ duty, and a few people dining in the MDR and under tipping or not using the MDR, then 2k-3.5k per month is a very realistic expectation. Granted, this is not a fortune. But, this is a perfectly reasonable wage for the job - especially considering the perks (free room and board, getting to visit islands on days off).

:mad: Look, I don't want to ruin things for certain people. But did it ever occur to anyone that when that 'special' waiter that 'let you in on' how poorly they were paid that they might have had an ulterior motive . . . like maybe to make you feel extra sorry for them so that you would tip them more? :mad: It seems to me like some people have fallen for the clamor of tip cups far too often. From the posts of some people on this thread there are people running around on the last night of the cruise with a wheelbarrow full of money and shoveling it at every crew member in sight . . . which is fine if you feel you need to, or that your money is some kind of burden. :mad:

I really think that dining room etiquitte is very subjective. We've cruised over 15 times on Disney and RC, and we have never once had to wait more than a few minutes after being seated to interact with the waiters. If I arrive at the table and you've started your salad, I don't assume you're rude, I assume you're hungry. We really try to be polite and pleasant people, and would never dream of resenting our tablemates for making other choices than we do. In fact, when our tablemates eat elsewhere, even if they've become our new best friends :rolleyes:, we look at the table to ourselves as a luxury to be enjoyed. These are all reasons that I couldn't be happier that RC is offering MTD. I hate to be responsible for ruining someone else's cruise by simply enjoying mine. :)

There is no need to go to extraordinary measures to ensure the enjoyment of other tablemates. Simple courtesies go a long way so you don't inadvertly inconvenience other diners. Your tablemates may not look at everything the same way you do. :) Sounds like you have found the perfect solution for yourself.

Staff salary has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH TIPPING. Waiter salaries are no more our business than our salaries are theirs. Tipping is customary on RC. Guidelines are provided. Assuming good service, you either tip in accordance with the customs and the guidelines, or you don't. Why rationalize the latter by speculating on what constitutes a "reasonable" salary??

I can't imagine asking a waiter what he/she makes!!! :eek::eek::eek: I also can't imagine them bringing it up, unasked!!!

How do you figure that they are tipped less than the price of a single drink per day? On my first cruise there were at least 8 people at my table, and the waiter had multiple tables that he was responsible for, at least three as I recall. That means the waiter could expect $28/per table /per seating. Figure a minimum of 3 tables=$84/ seating. Two seatings a night=$168/per night. Personally, I think they have more tables, but when I was there it was at least three. FWIW, we barely saw him on that first cruise when I actually ate dinner at the MDR, because of all the other diners/tables he was taking care of. This is part of the reason (though only a very minimal part) that I have no interest in the MDR. Honestly, I don't think the service I get there is worth the 'suggested' tips! I hate to break this to everyone, and have avoided broaching this topic until now. 15% is a standard, average tip for a meal in a restaurant on land. Between the Waiter, Assistant, and Head Waiter, the standard, recommended tip in the dining room is $6.25 per night. By that standard we are tipping as though this meal cost roughly $41.85. I am saying that I think we are over tipping because I openly deny that the MDR meal is worth $41.85! FWIW, I can get steak every night for less that is equal (and sometimes better than) the MDR offerings. AND, I am not even getting into the $14.95 'steak option' issue here. But if I did then that means that RCCL is valuing that 'optional' steak at $56.95!

I'd rather go with Chops at $20, get GREAT service, and a fillet mignon for just a few bucks more - tips included! Yeah, I know that they just upped it to $25 and that isn't making me happy. And, it will effect how often I choose to dine there.

Now, I have read this thread from the start. AND, I have not commented on what people 'know' the waiters are paid. :mad: But I can't keep this down any longer and now I am officially throwing the B*llSh*t flag out on the field on this topic. :mad: I have seen numbers thrown out that waiters are 'supposedly' being paid with absolutely no supporting evidence! :mad: Actually, the best source I see for estimating how much the waiters make is found in post 55 of this thread. According to the post a captain's wife gave the range of a waiters average wages as between $2000-$3500/mo. According to my earlier calculations the tips on three tables of 8 end up at $1176/ per 7 day week. Given that we know that the waiters rotate the WJ duty, and a few people dining in the MDR and under tipping or not using the MDR, then 2k-3.5k per month is a very realistic expectation. Granted, this is not a fortune. But, this is a perfectly reasonable wage for the job - especially considering the perks (free room and board, getting to visit islands on days off).

:mad: Look, I don't want to ruin things for certain people. But did it ever occur to anyone that when that 'special' waiter that 'let you in on' how poorly they were paid that they might have had an ulterior motive . . . like maybe to make you feel extra sorry for them so that you would tip them more? It seems to me like some people have fallen for the clamor of tip cups far too often. From the posts of some people on this thread there are people running around on the last night of the cruise with a wheelbarrow full of money and shoveling it at every crew member in sight . . . which is fine if you feel you need to, or that your money is some kind of burden. :mad:

I am the poster of the thread #55 u mentioned..I like to research before I speak...

'Debmarie' said that the waiter gets less than a one drinks cost in a tip per day and this is correct. What was left out is that it is 'per person' per day.

U state the staff get to see places on their 'day' off...

Technically this is correct except that..no one gets a whole day off, just a few hrs once per week and they can't see much in that time frame when they are usually standing in line to use a phone to call home, getting a bit of exercise or cooking/eating some of their familiar food & since they likely 'see' those same ports over & over for months at a time they aren't very interested. Besides, a lot of the staff simply 'sleep' during those hrs off...

I so agree with u that folks shldn't be listening to any staff member complain about how poor they are and 'hard done by'...

Lets face it... they are not unaware of the generous nature of a lot of folks & the worse it sounds the more they might get...!

The cruiselines frown on this behaviour and the staff all know this, so the Purser shld be informed this is going on...

As far as the amount 'earned' by the staff - in my post #116 I stated that is spent in a country (usually) where the income can be $1 per day...so the amts earned are actually substantial to them...Not, of course, in comparison to US standards but the salaries aren't usually spent in the US..

Do u release your seat in the MDR if u are planning on eating elsewhere or agree with doing same?

Have happy cruisin'!

Staff salary has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH TIPPING. Waiter salaries are no more our business than our salaries are theirs. Tipping is customary on RC. Guidelines are provided. Assuming good service, you either tip in accordance with the customs and the guidelines, or you don't. Why rationalize the latter by speculating on what constitutes a "reasonable" salary??

I can't imagine asking a waiter what he/she makes!!! :eek::eek::eek: I also can't imagine them bringing it up, unasked!!!

Actually, in spite of my last post I completely agree. My main point is that there are people posting what waiters 'supposedly' make, and using that as a jump off point to make their argument re:tipping. And some of those people have, more than once, berated those who hold differing opinions re:tipping. I felt it was time to bring some sense of reality to people that claim that the wait staff makes . . . NOTHING! Read this thread from the start and you will see what I mean.

:mad: Look, I don't want to ruin things for certain people. But did it ever occur to anyone that when that 'special' waiter that 'let you in on' how poorly they were paid that they might have had an ulterior motive . . . like maybe to make you feel extra sorry for them so that you would tip them more? :mad: It seems to me like some people have fallen for the clamor of tip cups far too often. From the posts of some people on this thread there are people running around on the last night of the cruise with a wheelbarrow full of money and shoveling it at every crew member in sight . . . which is fine if you feel you need to, or that your money is some kind of burden.

I, too, call "shenanigans." Over 15 cruises, and not one conversation with anyone about what they earn on the ship! On the other hand, they've never asked us either. :)

I am the poster of the thread #55 u mentioned..U state the staff get to see places on their 'day' off...

Technically this is correct except that..no one gets a whole day off, just a few hrs once per week and they can't see much in that time frame when they are usually standing in line to use a phone to call home, getting a bit of exercise or cooking/eating some of their familiar food & since they likely 'see' those same ports over & over for months at a time they aren't very interested. Besides, a lot of the staff simply 'sleep' during those hrs off...

What you state here is what one of the waitresses in Portofino's told me. I dined there multiple times and we discussed other duties that they had and getting to see the ports. Not only was she working in Portofino's every night from 6PM to 1AM but then working room service the following morning, I think it was from 7-11. She told me that most of the time she just slept but did get off on some ports for a few hours. Not in any way a glamorous exsistence in my book. The more I cruise and the more I dialog with these folks the more I get educated on how hard the work is and how low the pay is. Explains why we Americans aren't fighting for the jobs!

Actually, in spite of my last post I completely agree. My main point is that there are people posting what waiters 'supposedly' make, and using that as a jump off point to make their argument re:tipping. And some of those people have, more than once, berated those who hold differing opinions re:tipping. I felt it was time to bring some sense of reality to people that claim that the wait staff makes . . . NOTHING! Read this thread from the start and you will see what I mean.

LOL the whole discussion has gotten a bit convoluted, hasn't it!!

My bottom line: I tip because I appreciate the things the service staff does to enhance my vacation AND I know it's the custom on RC. I used to wait tables and I hate to see hard-working service staff get stiffed. It is just so demoralizing to work your butt off and have some unappreciative you-know-what cheat you out of a few bucks. I know that's not quite on-topic re the original post. :o Rant over till the next one ;)

I believe there are more members in the minority than one might think, but they avoid these threads because they are piled upon when they state their opinion on the tipping issue. I am often stumped to understand why people can't respect the opinions of others, even if they don't agree.

Karen

Aye! I would like to see more civility and less expectations imposed on others regarding tipping, here at cruisecritic.

I understand those who argue that if you don't go to the MDR, you are using less service from the crew and should pay reduced gratuities, though I probably wouldn't. I'd be inclined to approach the maitre'D and ask him how to handle the distribution, as petesweet did.

The idea of dining in the Windjammer to have a more casual and speedier meal is an interesting one. I might try that on my next cruise. :)

As far as I can tell, releasing your seat in the dining room is a concept on the boards, but I don't see it anywhere on the RC website. We have to realize that most people don't read these boards, and are not being rude when they don't follow CC recomendations. These ships offer many venues for dining. If someone is looking for a suggestion on the etiquette of using these venues, and they look here for that info, great. That's why many start their answers with "in my opinion," or "this is what we've done." But if it's just a suggestion, and not a RC rule or guideline, your suggestion is only as good as mine. It seems that after we've seen many posts about one thing, people start to get confused about what is recommended by the cruiseline, and what they read on the boards.:) RC provides options for all of us, and I think it's important not to manufacture ways to limit these options.

:mad: Look, I don't want to ruin things for certain people. But did it ever occur to anyone that when that 'special' waiter that 'let you in on' how poorly they were paid that they might have had an ulterior motive . . . like maybe to make you feel extra sorry for them so that you would tip them more? :mad: It seems to me like some people have fallen for the clamor of tip cups far too often. From the posts of some people on this thread there are people running around on the last night of the cruise with a wheelbarrow full of money and shoveling it at every crew member in sight . . . which is fine if you feel you need to, or that your money is some kind of burden. :mad:

Sorry, I should have clarified. Per person, per day.

Please don't misunderstand, I support your right to do as you see fit. If RCI wanted it to be otherwise, they would change their policy.

We can give this thread another 4,500 hits and the people who want to tip, will; and the people who don't, won't. A leopard will not change it's spots no matter what argument you give...

What a screen name Captain!:eek:

Agreed. Having worked for tips in my past, I fully understand and believe in the value of the system. And the system has always been that tips are given for good service.

Re: screen name . . . yeah I can get . . . feisty!:D

Now, I have read this thread from the start. AND, I have not commented on what people 'know' the waiters are paid. :mad: But I can't keep this down any longer and now I am officially throwing the B*llSh*t flag out on the field on this topic. :mad: I have seen numbers thrown out that waiters are 'supposedly' being paid with absolutely no supporting evidence! :mad: Actually, the best source I see for estimating how much the waiters make is found in post 55 of this thread. According to the post a captain's wife gave the range of a waiters average wages as between $2000-$3500/mo.

Those "wages" are the amount of tips they typically received at the time the article was written. On Royal Caribbean waiters have received a salary of $50 per month for at least the past several years; nearly all of their pay comes from tips.

We usually eat 4-5 nights in the Windjammer and 2-3 nights in the dining room. Nothing against the dining room but I wear a suit everyday and do not get dressed up on vacation! That being said, we always make sure to tip our wait staff in the MDR.

For those of you who do not know, a waiter on a RCCL ship is paid approximately $100 per month. They rely on tips and usually send all money they make back to their families in other countries. Working on a cruise ship is an up-at-dawn round-the-clock 7 day per week job for 3-4 months at a time and IS NOT AT ALL GLAMOROUS!!

Give them something even if you don't eat in the MDR!!

$100/month? I can't believe that's legal......Kind of sounds like slave labour to me. But.... I'm Canadian and am leaving on my 1st cruise next week - what do I know?:(

As far as I can tell, releasing your seat in the dining room is a concept on the boards, but I don't see it anywhere on the RC website. We have to realize that most people don't read these boards, and are not being rude when they don't follow CC recomendations.

I always read on here that you need to inform the maitre d' if you are not going to use the MDR and release your seat. On a 3 nt. weekend cruise, we did just that. The maitre d' looked at us strangely and then politely thanked us for letting him know but told us that it was not necessary to to let him know that. I don't remember which seating we had. I'm not sure it is necessary.:confused:

I always read on here that you need to inform the maitre d' if you are not going to use the MDR and release your seat. On a 3 nt. weekend cruise, we did just that. The maitre d' looked at us strangely and then politely thanked us for letting him know but told us that it was not necessary to to let him know that. I don't remember which seating we had. I'm not sure it is necessary.:confused:

Thanks for sharing that! I've always wondered how the maitre d' would respond. I suspected that if it wasn't in the RC literature, that it wasn't required, or even expected. I'm guessing that if they wanted me to go to the dining room and tell the head waiter where I was going to eat that evening, they would put it on a sign in front of the Windjammer. Or, an announcement from the bridge, "Not so fast G8rmom, back away from the pasta bar and go tell your waiter where you are!":rolleyes: Choices, choices, choices! Thanks Royal Caribbean for giving us all these options! Again, thanks for sharing how an actual maitre d' on a genuine Royal Caribbean ship reacted to your suggestion that you "release" your table.:)

As far as I can tell, releasing your seat in the dining room is a concept on the boards, but I don't see it anywhere on the RC website.

It might not matter if you have your own table, but if you are dining with others, it is courteous to let the waiter know (if possible) that you will be late, or won't be coming at all. Otherwise, the waiter will be waiting to serve the other people at the table who have arrived on time.

We were on a 7 day cruise and got seated with 5 people who only came to dinner on time once. They were either late or never showed up the other times.

So if you won't be there at all and you have tablemates, I'm sure they would want to know.

It might not matter if you have your own table, but if you are dining with others, it is courteous to let the waiter know (if possible) that you will be late, or won't be coming at all. Otherwise, the waiter will be waiting to serve the other people at the table who have arrived on time.

We were on a 7 day cruise and got seated with 5 people who only came to dinner on time once. They were either late or never showed up the other times.

So if you won't be there at all and you have tablemates, I'm sure they would want to know.

I might actually be more inclined to release a table if I had a smaller one. There are many folks who would like a table for two or four and were not able to get one. You could be doing some folks a very big favor.

$100/month? I can't believe that's legal......Kind of sounds like slave labour to me. But.... I'm Canadian and am leaving on my 1st cruise next week - what do I know?:(

Well just remember, when you step aboard the ship you aren't in Canada any more!:D Considering the parts of the world that many of the crew come from this would be considered far from slave labor. And what we look at as little money can go a very long way in the parts of the world that they go back and spend it in.

Thanks-that's good to know-BF & I will be sailing on FOS in November, and he's against dressing up on formal nights-I might get one night out of him, but we'll most likely eat dinner in the Windjammer on the second formal night. Other evenings we'll go to the MDR as long as he can just wear nice jeans or khaki's-can't seem to get him to dress up on vacation!

Can you give some examples of what they offer inthe WJ for dinner? Of course the typical buffet items, but anything that stands out? Is the sushi at Jade everynight? I coudl see us grabbing some rolls even before heading over to the MDR!

Two things: Save the jeans for daytime use. Khakis will be fine in the MDR. Maybe even jeans, but that would be discouraged.

As for grabbing sushi rolls before dinner - wouldn't work if you have first seating since the WJ opens at 6:30--half an hour after the MDR. Since I am not a sushi fan, I can't answer as to whether they are there every night.

I agree with you in theory. Its just after having waited in line to do this several times since we always eat in the Windjammer and then having the people in charge not even take my table number or seating when I've told them I've almost given up. If they don't care enough to take my information when I go to inform them why shold i spend my time on a cruise to tell them? I do agree with you that the waiters and other people at the table should know. There just needs to be a better way to do this. I've almost been tempted to get the most popular seating and a request a popular table size so they would want me to release it (just kidding).

I might actually be more inclined to release a table if I had a smaller one. There are many folks who would like a table for two or four and were not able to get one. You could be doing some folks a very big favor.

And we did that, too, on the second leg of another B2B. We wanted to eat quickly in the WJ and go to the early shows.

And you are exactly right - another couple was thrilled to get that table.

I agree with you in theory. Its just after having waited in line to do this several times since we always eat in the Windjammer and then having the people in charge not even take my table number or seating when I've told them I've almost given up. If they don't care enough to take my information when I go to inform them why shold i spend my time on a cruise to tell them? I do agree with you that the waiters and other people at the table should know. There just needs to be a better way to do this. I've almost been tempted to get the most popular seating and a request a popular table size so they would want me to release it (just kidding).

Even if you just told the wait staff and your tablemates that if you do not arrive within 10 minutes of opening time, that means you have other plans, that should work. I agree that it's difficult to get a message to them each time.

Archived