WindJammer for all meals

I might actually be more inclined to release a table if I had a smaller one. There are many folks who would like a table for two or four and were not able to get one. You could be doing some folks a very big favor.

Yes, I agree, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Even if you just told the wait staff and your tablemates that if you do not arrive within 10 minutes of opening time, that means you have other plans, that should work. I agree that it's difficult to get a message to them each time.

Especially when its for the whole week and we've already told the loyalty ambassador when we booked on board, asked our travel agent to tell Royal Caribbean, emailed Royal Caribbean ourselves, and tried to tell the matri de (yes I go overboard in trying to let them know).

I don't really want to go to the dining room with the crowd the first night just to leave if I'm in the middle of something else.

HILARIOUS!!!!!

Good luck this time around, man that sucks. I'm sending some good juju your way! Now stand aside while I get crushed.

Yeah, it's kinda funny to those who didn't experience it. And as you can tell, I am TRYING to keep a positive attitude thru this whole thing.... but... do you really think I'm kidding? I'm completely frustrated with the bureaucracy of the customs system and the indifference of the cruise line! They gave me unsolicited options to resolve the issue at the time, and I produced what they asked for. I can prove it! 3 hours we went round and round. And because of what "they" considered a state certified "typo", by no fault of our own, we got screwed. Our anniversary ruined.

And as for the cruise line, to "KEEP" all my money & issue us a partial refund in the form of coupon a with a 1 year expiration for yet another cruise, well... that was just another slap in the face as far as I was concerned.

If I didn't produce the ID they asked for, I would of went home and considered it a lesson learned. But I did. They chose to refuse it over a what they considered a state certified typo. So yes....yes we are bitter. If I could of found a lawyer willing to take on customs, well.. since no one was injured I guess there just wasn't enough money in it for em. :mad:

Anyways, I spent a good portion over the course of the year working with my TA & the cruise line trying to recoup at least SOME of our losses but to no avail. More indifference. So.. for lack of any other options, we spent alot of time and money this year getting MORE than we need as far as documentation in order. This time... no mistakes!

And....since "NO ONE" was willing to work with us thru this process, we've simply decided our time is coming. RCCI brought this on themselves. They gave us no options, so we WILL work the only option we have. I have a plan. This is my vacation. I'm gonna enjoy this one, one way or the other. Unless RCCI changes their minds, calls me, and decides to work with me a little, I guarantee you, there WILL be an event in port canaveral 5/18/2009 wether we get on the boat or not!! :D And yes, if I can pull it off, a local news crew WILL be present to document the evidence...er I mean the event! ;) I tried working with RCCI and failed. NOW it's going public!!! :rolleyes: This will either end up on the local news as a shot in the arm for RCCI or a public embarrassment! It's gonna be up to them. :p

Never.... NEVER get between a fat man and his food!

And never EVER poke the BEAR! :D

Now I need another one of those little blue pills... where did I put those things again?

If I didn't produce the ID they asked for, I would of went home and considered it a lesson learned. But I did. They chose to refuse it over a what they considered a state certified typo. So yes....yes we are bitter. If I could of found a lawyer willing to take on customs, well.. since no one was injured I guess there just wasn't enough money in it for em. :mad:

And....since "NO ONE" was willing to work with us thru this process, we've simply decided our time is coming. RCCI brought this on themselves. They gave us no options, so we WILL work the only option we have. I have a plan. This is my vacation. I'm gonna enjoy this one, one way or the other. Unless RCCI changes their minds, calls me, and decides to work with me a little, I guarantee you, there WILL be an event in port canaveral 5/18/2009 wether we get on the boat or not!! :D And yes, if I can pull it off, a local news crew WILL be present to document the evidence...er I mean the event! ;) I tried working with RCCI and failed. NOW it's going public!!! :rolleyes: This will either end up on the local news as a shot in the arm for RCCI or a public embarrassment! It's gonna be up to them. :p

Hipshot, I'm sorry for what happened to you, but I think you might be making this more complicated than it is.

All you need is government issued ID that matches the name on the cruise booking. A passport would do nicely, failing that, birth certificate and drivers license would probably be fine as well if you are prior to the new mandatory passport rules.

My wife was born in a foreign country and the name listed first on her passport isn't really her "first" name. To avoid customs issues, we book her travel using her "official" name per her passport. Nobody cares that she goes by a different name in person. :)

Those "wages" are the amount of tips they typically received at the time the article was written. On Royal Caribbean waiters have received a salary of $50 per month for at least the past several years; nearly all of their pay comes from tips.

So they know the risk upfront...

Having worked in the service industry for a few years in my younger days I've lived on tips. I had small tables that I gave $100 and large tables that ran me to death and gave zero. It's the service business, its a risk for the worker.

On cruises I've given double the suggested and the waiter still didn't seemed happy. It seems some of the wait staff feel the suggested amount is now the minimum even for bad service. I tip only on service not suggestion.

Yeah, it's kinda funny to those who didn't experience it. And as you can tell, I am TRYING to keep a positive attitude thru this whole thing.... but... do you really think I'm kidding? I'm completely frustrated with the bureaucracy of the customs system and the indifference of the cruise line! They gave me unsolicited options to resolve the issue at the time, and I produced what they asked for. I can prove it! 3 hours we went round and round. And because of what "they" considered a state certified "typo", by no fault of our own, we got screwed. Our anniversary ruined.

And as for the cruise line, to "KEEP" all my money & issue us a partial refund in the form of coupon a with a 1 year expiration for yet another cruise, well... that was just another slap in the face as far as I was concerned.

Anyways, I spent a good portion over the course of the year working with my TA & the cruise line trying to recoup at least SOME of our losses but to no avail. More indifference. So.. for lack of any other options, we spent alot of time and money this year getting MORE than we need as far as documentation in order. This time... no mistakes!

Never.... NEVER get between a fat man and his food!

And never EVER poke the BEAR! :D

Now I need another one of those little blue pills... where did I put those things again?

If it goes public, pm me the link to the story :-)

Another question to keep the discussion lively.

Who worked harder for me? I ate at WJ for all meals and got all my own food and all my own drinks. A dude at some point cleaned the table, sure but that's about it. Maybe they put silverware on it also but sometimes there was none and I happily got my own.

That deserves a tip? For what 30 sec of work per meal x 3?? The dude behind the counter cooking and fixing is workin just as hard, maybe I should throw him a few bucks too?

Also, how come you tip the room guy whatever per day (yes I paid it shush) but if you goto a regular hotel there is no sign that says you must tip your room attendant $5 a day or whatever, how come on the cruise we pay the room attendants but everywhere else the company pays them? hmmmmmmmm

Hipshot, I'm sorry for what happened to you, but I think you might be making this more complicated than it is.

All you need is government issued ID that matches the name on the cruise booking. A passport would do nicely, failing that, birth certificate and drivers license would probably be fine as well if you are prior to the new mandatory passport rules.

My wife was born in a foreign country and the name listed first on her passport isn't really her "first" name. To avoid customs issues, we book her travel using her "official" name per her passport. Nobody cares that she goes by a different name in person. :)

Yes well ...thats what me & my TA thought too.. and the names did match on EVERYTHING! Its really not that complicated, actually it WAS quite simple. I gave them everything they asked for. They CHOSE not to accept it.

Anyways, I don't want to get into details here, it's ancient history. But suffice it to say it was just something absolutely unnecessary & ridiculous! And when I asked for a supervisor to resolve it, I was refused. Imagine that. I simply think "that woman" was having a bad day and decided to take it out on us. Who knows.. it really doesn't matter anymore. What DOES matter is RCI had a year & chose not to deal with it.

I'm gonna need a briefcase for all the ID I'm gonna throw at em this year! :rolleyes: There will simply be NO DOUBT!!! hehe.

Look, I understand mistakes happen and this was certainly one of em on both sides. And I stayed very professional thruout the experience and lost. What irritates me to this day is RCI had a YEAR and a number of occaisions to resolve this at ANY level, and chose not to. Instead they chose to stick to their usual practices under unusual circumstances.

Ok. So... "They" made it worse than it has to be. This cruise is now 2 years in the making for us. And has now cost us at least twice as much as it should have. Not to mention the emotional strain on my wife. She was simply a wreck! Now its my turn. I want my pound of flesh. For better or worse, now I'm gonna get my money's worth! hehhe. At the very least it will be fun & a neat human interest story for the local funny papers. And isn't that what a vacation is all about? :D

All we want is the enjoyable and relaxing cruise we deserved last year without any more stupid issues. I hope customs & RCI will provide that this time. And all I want is a little resolution to last years disaster. If RCI won't provide it? Then I will provide it myself! :D And if it ends up embarrassing them a little, then so be it. They earned it.

This is gonna be FUN!!! I cant wait! :p

Also, how come you tip the room guy whatever per day (yes I paid it shush) but if you goto a regular hotel there is no sign that says you must tip your room attendant $5 a day or whatever, how come on the cruise we pay the room attendants but everywhere else the company pays them? hmmmmmmmm

Because the hotel pays it staff a "real" salary, and builds it into the cost of the room. Minimum wage, to be sure, but a "real" salary nonetheless. So a tip there is really a tip. I always leave something for the maid, by the way, because it is customary to do so. There's nothing in a restaurant that says you MUST tip your waiter, but it's customary to do that, too. And on a cruise ship, it is customary to tip your cabin steward. Those customs are fine with me.

RCI is trying to keep the illusion of less expensive cruising by making certain things optional, including the pay of their employees. I just wish they would either add it automatically (and I think the day is coming, since both of their sister companies, Azamara and Celebrity, now do so). I don't think they'll build it into the price of the cruise, because then the prices would compare unfavorably (even more so on some sailings) to the other mainstream lines.

I hate to disrupt the "how should I/when should I/why should I/who should I?" discussion, because I'm finding it very interesting and helpful.

But just getting back to the original Windjammer post - can anyone tell me what it's like to eat in the WJ in the evening? Looking at a few photos, it appears there are white tablecloths. Are there candles also? Is there any ambiance or atmosphere (I know it's a buffet and self-serve)? How likely is it we could get a window seat? I think might like to try it for dinner on one night of our four-night cruise.

Thanks!

Who worked harder for me? I ate at WJ for all meals and got all my own food and all my own drinks. A dude at some point cleaned the table, sure but that's about it. Maybe they put silverware on it also but sometimes there was none and I happily got my own.

That deserves a tip? For what 30 sec of work per meal x 3?? The dude behind the counter cooking and fixing is workin just as hard, maybe I should throw him a few bucks too?

Well, we always tip the hotel maids so there you go, one answer.

Think of it like this: You get ready and go to work, your boss (the cruise passengers) say "I don't think I'll use your services today, so you don't get paid". No one else is there to pay you, even if tables are moved and other passengers take your table, a different server down the line doesn't get paid for the week. Tips are pretty much all they earn in spendable money.

OK, no work, no pay, but you still have to stay there and perhaps help out others who are earning tips. For nothing.

I don't discuss wages or tips with the servers and cabin attendants, just as they don't ask about my income. My feeling is that if I don't tip the service personnel I'm using them as personal slaves, which I refuse to do, if you are comfortable with it I cannot argue the point with you. I just hope you never have a job where you are unpaid for your services unless you are a willing volunteer.

These food servers take turns in the buffet, they know there are weeks when they make little or no income. It's a shame they have to experience no income some weeks because passengers assume a no show in the dining room means nothing. It makes me so sad when I see an empty table all week when I know the ship is sailing full.

Because most people know it is customary to tip one's maid at a hotel so they don't need signs for this when people know it's the expected thing to do. Same deal with land based restaurants - there is no sign saying to tip your waiter because it is customary. Not everybody going a cruise knows that the waitstaff and room attendants only earn a nominal salary ($50/month for your waiter) so it is clearly stated how much is recommended to tip them as this is in essence their salary.

By the way, "the dude behind the counter cooking" is paid a real salary - that is why it would be rare to tip them even if they work hard.

Just a heads up me and the wife did the WJ for all meals and absolutely loved it!!

The selection was fine, I loved eating whenever I wanted to. No Lobster and Steak, big deal the $$$ I saved I can go get a steak anywhere. We don't eat seafood much so the Lobster was no big deal.

It was such a nice change from having to get all dressed up some nights and have to be here at a certain time. I might not ever go back to the formal sit down dining.

Now this is not a slam on anyone who does the regular seating, I just wanted the people who are thinking about it to know the WJ food is really good.

That fried chicken with honey for lunch on day 1..... WOW!!!!! I had to use control and only have 2 pieces but it was unbelievable.

I hardly ever eat asian food and most nights I ended up filling my plate with the asian selections before even making it to the other half of the WJ buffet.

To answer your original question, I suppose taste in food is subjective. While I've never thought food on any ship was much better than standard banquet fare, we avoid the buffet as much as we can.

It's great we can all have choices, especially the dining room for breakfast, so much more civilised and easier than the buffet battle.

I not only dislike the buffet food upon embarkation, I have to disagree with the assessment of the "honey stung chicken". I found it to be pressed chicken matter, covered with a layer of fat as flavoring, then breaded with a sweet bread crumb mixture, didn't taste much like honey to me. I find the embarkation buffet choices to be: dry and overcooked fish, chicken, pork, beef, pasta etc.... along with pre-bagged lettuce, canned veggies and watered down iced tea or lemonade.

No wonder we like to stop for lunch before we board :)

Anyways, I don't want to get into details here, it's ancient history.

Now its my turn. I want my pound of flesh. For better or worse, now I'm gonna get my money's worth!

I hope customs & RCI will provide that this time. And all I want is a little resolution to last years disaster.

This is gonna be FUN!!! I cant wait! :p

If you won't share details, I can't help you. But it doesn't seem like ancient history if you are still carrying a grudge around.

All I can say is if you go into your next cruise looking for a fight with customs, and/or RCCL you will probably find one.

Tipping is a matter of decency, and civility. Overtipping is a matter of generosity.

I hate to disrupt the "how should I/when should I/why should I/who should I?" discussion, because I'm finding it very interesting and helpful.

But just getting back to the original Windjammer post - can anyone tell me what it's like to eat in the WJ in the evening? Looking at a few photos, it appears there are white tablecloths. Are there candles also? Is there any ambiance or atmosphere (I know it's a buffet and self-serve)? How likely is it we could get a window seat? I think might like to try it for dinner on one night of our four-night cruise.

Thanks!

Hi, SeaCBear. Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Some ships put tablecloths on some of the tables in the evening in the Windjammer. It's not universal.

And there are NEVER candles.

Open flames are entirely banned on a cruise ship.

Fire at sea is one of the greatest fears and perils on a ship.

You should be able to get a table by the window - there are windows on all sides of the WJ.

I enjoy eating dinner in the WJ. It's a nice break from the MDR.

Well, I just got off the Mariner after 53 nights, so an occasional night in the Windjammer was definitely necessary!

:)

All I can say is if you go into your next cruise looking for a fight with customs, and/or RCCL you will probably find one.

Nah ..not looking for one.. just preparing for one this time. Wouldn't you? I went there unprepared for it last time and got a black eye for trusting the process. That won't happen twice.;)

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm going into this with a positive attitude. We are going there to have fun. It's a vacation! And if need be, all I'm saying is, that fun will start at the pier! :D

Anyways.. we are getting off topic here... I guess I just needed to vent a little more. Thanks folks for letting me.. :cool:

To answer your original question, I suppose taste in food is subjective. While I've never thought food on any ship was much better than standard banquet fare, we avoid the buffet as much as we can.

It's great we can all have choices, especially the dining room for breakfast, so much more civilised and easier than the buffet battle.

I not only dislike the buffet food upon embarkation, I have to disagree with the assessment of the "honey stung chicken". I found it to be pressed chicken matter, covered with a layer of fat as flavoring, then breaded with a sweet bread crumb mixture, didn't taste much like honey to me. I find the embarkation buffet choices to be: dry and overcooked fish, chicken, pork, beef, pasta etc.... along with pre-bagged lettuce, canned veggies and watered down iced tea or lemonade.

If you ever go on a Galley tour and see the prep that goes on you will realise your last comments are just not true.

They even have a deck below the Galley where they have some of the crew who do nothing but prepare the fresh veg from scratch...I coud go on and on but I wont bore the other posters :rolleyes:

I dislike buffet food also. The only time I do the buffet is at lunch.

If you ever go on a Galley tour and see the prep that goes on you will realise your last comments are just not true.

They even have a deck below the Galley where they have some of the crew who do nothing but prepare the fresh veg from scratch...I coud go on and on but I wont bore the other posters :rolleyes:

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm going into this with a positive attitude.

Anyways.. we are getting off topic here... I guess I just needed to vent a little more. Thanks folks for letting me.. :cool:

No worries. Hope it all works out. :)

Thanks!

We always end up eating in the WJ for dinner at least once or twice. There's usually a pasta bar, carved meat, etc. We have never had a problem sitting by a window--our seats were usually better than in the MDR. It's much more relaxed and low key than the MDR, IMO, but also people will often take their kids in there for dinner first if they have the late sitting. But I think it's definitely worth checking out. I think the food in the WJ has gotten much better.

Secondly, RCI very well knows that everyone does not show up in the dining room. If it were expected that everyone would show up then there would be no need for either an evening Windjammer or a Chops or Portofino's.

I agree that RCCL expects you to use other venues for some of the evenings. We do Chops and Portofino every cruise and we pay the service charge plus we tip without giving it a second thought. We also tip the MDR staff the suggested amount even if we don't eat there. That is what we do but I would not flame someone that tipped only where they ate.

It is understandable that people tip for services rendered.

Also why hasn't anyone brought up the fact that on land we tip in restaurants for both breakfast and lunch. I don't see too many people tipping at breakfast or lunch.

Secondly, RCI very well knows that everyone does not show up in the dining room. If it were expected that everyone would show up then there would be no need for either an evening Windjammer or a Chops or Portofino's.

I agree that RCCL expects you to use other venues for some of the evenings. We do Chops and Portofino every cruise and we pay the service charge plus we tip without giving it a second thought. We also tip the MDR staff the suggested amount even if we don't eat there. That is what we do but I would not flame someone that tipped only where they ate.

It is understandable that people tip for services rendered.

Also why hasn't anyone brought up the fact that on land we tip in restaurants for both breakfast and lunch. I don't see too many people tipping at breakfast or lunch.

Good point - If those same folks that object to tipping the per day rate for the staff, choose to only tip those that serve them directly, then they shld tip the morning, noon & evening meals plus snacks, tea time etc...The staff serving u in the MDR is also the same staff that will be serving in the WJ...They are not different folks - they rotate!!

This is exactly why there is a suggested daily amt...to make it easier for folks to tip & cover all those times when u are served but please - feel free to tip each individual each time u receive service if u prefer....

Myself, I do not find this a difficult concept to understand - its much easier to tip the recommended amt either prepaid, thru a SeaPass or with cash the last nite of the cruise & I also give extra to those I feel went above & beyond..and a lot do :)

Have happy cruisin'!

Archived