What’s With RCCL Rates?

GoofingOff

RCCL’s 7/28/09 12-night Baltics out of England is $3,049 for balcony. 3rd or 4th person rate is $1,299.

NCL’s 8/2/09 12-night Baltics out of England is $2,099 for balcony. 3rd or 4th person is $199. NCL also gives $175 OBC per room.

The diff. amounts to $4,275 for a family of 4. The difference between the two lines’ oceanview and inside are similarly large.

Itinerary are very similar. Only difference being RCCL does Oslo in lieu of Berlin.

Can anyone make sense of this? Is this normal? I'd prefer to go w/ Jewel of the Seas but not at twice the cost!

Celebrity and Princess are more in line with NCL although not quite as affordable.

RCCL’s 7/28/09 12-night Baltics out of England is $3,049 for balcony. 3rd or 4th person rate is $1,299.

NCL’s 8/2/09 12-night Baltics out of England is $2,099 for balcony. 3rd or 4th person is $199. NCL also gives $175 OBC per room.

The diff. amounts to $4,275 for a family of 4. The difference between the two lines’ oceanview and inside are similarly large.

Celebrity and Princess are more in line with NCL although not quite as affordable.

My friends/relatives returned from NCL cruises dissatisfied a year or two ago, but now they are getting great prices and sometimes upgrades too, and they are happy with their suites (Mexican Riviera anyway). I am not ready to go there yet, but I would consider Celebrity. We took Celebrity to the Arctic Circle and loved it!

Yes, we are sort of in the same boat with RCC. We have had job issues over the last 4 months (off/on sort of thing unfortunately). I am looking into other cruiselines and am amazed at what good deals I have found. I get emails daily from Princess, Carnival, NCL, etc with great cabin prices but I have received nothing from RCC except the ole 'half price deposit'. This doesn't help their bottom line whatsoever.

As you can see from my signature, I doubt I will be sailing them either. Its a shame really. Also, regarding the supply/demand, the ship we were supposed to be on still has numerous cabins so that is not even an issue.

If the prices have gone up means that they are selling good in europe.

While in the past this generalization may well have been correct, it is not necessarily the case any longer. RCI appears to have an entirely different business model at this time than the majority of their competition. Time will tell who may have selected the better path......

In the interim, more research would be needed to verify where a given cruise currently stands. It also does not take into account how cancellations have been affected when final payment is due (have the percentages changed, ie: increased or decreased).

Bruce

I am a Diamond member and cruising in 38 days on the AOS. The drastic price differences is the reason why I sail so often with NCL ( I prefer to cruise a few times rather then just once a year). I was booked on the Oasis for next President's week 2010, but couldn't merit paying $1400 more ( difference between a balcony on the Oasis and a minisuite on the NCL Pearl-with a $300 OBC).

Just got back from the NCL Jewel in the Courtyard Villa suites. These suites do not compare to any suites that RCI offers. People are nervous to vacation and spend money in this economy. I am very happy spending $1400 less and still being able to take a great 7 day cruise. I hope NCL stays grounded with their prices.

I am very much looking forward to my AOS cruise. I love RCI and what their product offers. This cruise actually was a great price value when I booked a year ago.

Our 1st cruise was in 2002, which means we 1st started pricing cruises in 2001 and since then we've noticed that RCI prices have usually been higher then CCL, NCL, HAL etc but to us they were and are worth it. I think some peoples eyes are open to the difference now just because of their own falling money matters.

RCI is different in their standard starting prices but to us they are also different in their service.

The reason the prices are so high is explained in this article from USA Today. CEO Richard Fain explained it all to Wall Street......no more deep discounting...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=62104126.blog

They apparently prefer to sail with empty cabins than continue discounting.......

Good move?

Who knows. They have bigger problems than that, for sure. Yesterday, they announced they may not be able to find funding for their 2 monstrosities, the Oasis and the Allure.........1.2 BILLION $$$ and counting.....EACH.

I am looking at a new years cruise for next Dec. Its a holiday and I will

be paying a premium but the lowest balcony cabin on RCCL is about $900 higher for our family of three than Princess's mini suite. Same departure port,

same ports of call. I have sailed with Princess before and enjoyed it very

much so it looks like we will be back with them after our AOS spring break

trip. Royal Caribbean's prices just don't make sense.

We're having the exact same experience while looking for a holiday cruise for December. NCL and Carnival are looking more and more attractive because we simply can't afford RCCL if we are bringing our children.

I really don't understand the 3rd and 4th person rates on RCCL. Seriously, if I bring two children, they eat practically nothing compared to an adult and they're taking up space in MY cabin, why am I paying almost as much to bring them onboard as I'm paying for myself and my husband? It's about the same price to get two interior cabins with two people each, rather than paying the 3rd and 4th person rates for an oceanview or balcony. And either way, it's not affordable for us.

I know NCL is running a special on the 3rd/4th person right now, but even when the special doesn't apply, it's still about half of what RCCL is charging.

RCCL is making it nearly impossible for middle-class families to cruise together, which is sad because as much as I love the RCCL ships, if I want my kids to experience cruising, it appears I will have to go elsewhere.

RCCL just raised the rate $100/pp for the JS I was looking to book on AOS next Jan. But I checked the Caribbean Princess, and they raised their minisuite rates too. So maybe southern caribbean demand went up a bit overall for that date.

RCCL just raised the rate $100/pp for the JS I was looking to book on AOS next Jan. But I checked the Caribbean Princess, and they raised their minisuite rates too. So maybe southern caribbean demand went up a bit overall for that date.
Probably a bunch of Americans looking at cruises closer to home. I know I am. Hubby and I talked about another Med or a N. Europe cruise but with air fare being so high, his hours getting cut, and general economic concerns, we're going to look at another Caribbean or a Panama Canal cruise instead. I'd rather do PC because I don't really want a Caribbean cruise 3 years in a row!

I am a Diamond member and cruising in 38 days on the AOS. The drastic price differences is the reason why I sail so often with NCL ( I prefer to cruise a few times rather then just once a year). I was booked on the Oasis for next President's week 2010, but couldn't merit paying $1400 more ( difference between a balcony on the Oasis and a minisuite on the NCL Pearl-with a $300 OBC).

Just got back from the NCL Jewel in the Courtyard Villa suites. These suites do not compare to any suites that RCI offers. People are nervous to vacation and spend money in this economy. I am very happy spending $1400 less and still being able to take a great 7 day cruise. I hope NCL stays grounded with their prices.

I am very much looking forward to my AOS cruise. I love RCI and what their product offers. This cruise actually was a great price value when I booked a year ago.

W've been looking at these suites on NCL also. Can you elaborate on your comment? Not sure if you mean that NCL are not as good?? If so, the pictures don't look that way....

Happy Cruising,

TnT

The reason the prices are so high is explained in this article from USA Today. CEO Richard Fain explained it all to Wall Street......no more deep discounting...

They apparently prefer to sail with empty cabins than continue discounting.......

Good move?

Who knows. They have bigger problems than that' date=' for sure. Yesterday, they announced they may not be able to find funding for their 2 monstrosities, the Oasis and the Allure.........1.2 BILLION $$$ and counting.....EACH.[/quote']

WOW! That's their position? Then they are in denial about market realities. This global downturn will easily last another year. Doesn't RCCL realize many once loyal customers will try other cruiselines or forms of vacations in the meantime and may decide that they like the other options better and develop new loyalties?

I think in time they will cave and fall in line w/ everyone else. Especially with their fleet/capacity increasing.

Good move?

Who knows. They have bigger problems than that' date=' for sure. Yesterday, they announced they may not be able to find funding for their 2 monstrosities, the Oasis and the Allure.........1.2 BILLION $$$ and counting.....EACH.[/quote']

Excellent move.

WOW! That's their position? Then they are in denial about market realities. This global downturn will easily last another year. Doesn't RCCL realize many once loyal customers will try other cruiselines or forms of vacations in the meantime and may decide that they like the other options better and develop new loyalties?

I think in time they will cave and fall in line w/ everyone else. Especially with their fleet/capacity increasing.

That's their public position. :) It may be posturing on price, perhaps in the hopes other lines will also keep prices high. As a cruiser, my takeaway is it's probably a good time to shop around.

They have bigger problems than that' date=' for sure. Yesterday, they announced they may not be able to find funding for their 2 monstrosities, the Oasis and the Allure.........1.2 BILLION $$$ and counting.....EACH.[/quote']

Oh please. As was pointed out on another thread this was a piece of sensationalistic journalism. This came from their 10-K and in a 10-K a company is required to list every conceivable thing that could go wrong - even if it is unlikely to occur. RCL has consistently stated that they do not expect to have financing problems with Oasis or Allure and have already secured favorable rates for much of the financing. RCL is facing economic difficulties, but funding their new ships is not one of them.

That they are able to keep prices higher than other mass market cruise lines actually bodes well for them - it means they are able to sell a sufficient number of staterooms at the higher price on those particular sailings.

That's their public position. :) It may be posturing on price, perhaps in the hopes other lines will also keep prices high. As a cruiser, my takeaway is it's probably a good time to shop around.

Maybe so.

In my infinite range of totally USELESS knowledge and wide range of CRAP opinion I 'predicted' this policy back in October and outlined my 'fantasies' (which are bordering a mental illness) based on absolute no facts whatsoever.

Rightfully I got the crap from everybody.

This 'prediction' - which was born in an emotional state of confusion - was further solidified by an 'unevent' in December which I probably dreamed about and try to sell as reality trying to underline my earlier statements which had no basis and/or foundation when this policy actually became reality in January and the discussion was on amongst all those with deep, deep knowledge.

Unfortunately I am not affiliated with certain groups, a resident lawyer 'jack of all trades' or claim to phone headquarter 24/7 so I had no way of instant validation and I was exposed to what I am: a fraud.

In other words: I kindly disagree with your statement. :D:p;)

W've been looking at these suites on NCL also. Can you elaborate on your comment? Not sure if you mean that NCL are not as good?? If so, the pictures don't look that way....

Happy Cruising,

TnT

I meant that NCL's suites are superior- IMO. The private pool/ jacuzzi/ sauna/ exercise room and private sundeck makes the NCL suites superior to those of RCI. Only a few share these and that alone makes it worth while. The butler is a nice feature( for alot of people), but my family doesn't need that extra attention.

We are D members on RCCL and our Xmas cruise could have been 2 insides on RCCL or a courtyard suite on the Gem. It was a great family suite with 2 bathrooms and a common area. You are right there is nothing like that on RCCL.

For the price I paid for my courtyard villa, I would get a balcony and inside on the Oasis for the same week. I know it's about the ship sometimes, but I would give up a great ship to stay in the NCL Courtyard Villas for 7 days anytime! It really left an impression on us.

Archived