Big Announcement About Two Special West Coast Sailings

Phamer55

I'm another one that would love to see Celebrity ships sail out of San Francisco, since this is my homeport. But in all truthfullness, the cruiseship terminal is very old, though functional, and transportation along San Francisco's Embarcadero is less than desireable. But the major plus is the sailaway. There is nothing like sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge on a lovely day. Absolutely fabulous!

We had booked Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas 11-night Panama Canal cruise, roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale for Jan 2010. However, about 3-4 months ago, we were notified that our cruise was cancelled because the IOC had chartered it. I'm not sure for how long exactly, but now we're booked on Island Princess from Acapulco to Fort Lauderdale Jan 9-19, 2010.

Connie 15 night Hawaii

Sat 13 Mar 2010 San Diego, California 5:00 PM

Sun 14- Wed 17 Mar 2010 At Sea

Thu 18 Mar 2010 Mount Kilauea - Evening Sail Cruising

Thu 18 Mar 2010 Hilo, Hawaii 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Fri 19 Mar 2010 Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii 8:00 AM 11:00 PM

Sat 20 Mar 2010 Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii 7:00 AM 11:00 PM

Sun 21 Mar 2010 Kailua Kona, Hawaii 9:00 AM 5:30 PM

Mon 22 Mar 2010 Kauai (Nawiliwili), Hawaii 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Tue 23-Fri 26 Mar 2010 At Sea

Sat 27 Mar 2010 Ensenada, Mexico 7:00 PM 11:59 PM

Sun 28 Mar 2010 San Diego, California 7:00 AM

But this cruise is listed as a charter cruise.

I'm not sure who got the contract but I can tell you that cruise ships will be used to billit RCMP and Canadian Forces personnel who will be providing security at the Olympics. This could be part of that but I can't say for certain. Cruise ships worked out to be considerably cheaper than hotels and other options.

Connie 15 night Hawaii

But this cruise is listed as a charter cruise.

Yes, and I just found it. Ewwwww....

Naked bottoms sitting on the furniture throughout the ship?

Does anyone know if this group is required to sit on plastic, at least?

I really wish they would add sailings other than Alaska out of seattle. Something for fall, spring & winter - it's kind of a shame to always need to fly to another city to cruise when we have a port here.

I think they should do a 10 or 11 day year around Mexico cruise out of Seattle. I don't know why none of the lines do this. I'm quite sure they would fill it every time.

I think they should do a 10 or 11 day year around Mexico cruise out of Seattle. I don't know why none of the lines do this. I'm quite sure they would fill it every time.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact approximately 4 days (2 south, 2 north) would be required sailing in colder weather during Winter before reaching Mexico. It also might have to do with per diems. According to Celebrity, the reason they didn't keep the San Diego to Mexico cruises was due to the fact they could get higher fares on other itineraries. To no surprise, they're going to deploy their ships where they can generate the highest per diems. However, with the economic problems, we might see more U.S-based departures until things improve. So who knows what's up their sleeves....

Does anyone remember when big software companies used to give away their product in the beginning? Well, it worked to get people to try out the product.

I notice that Crystal does several round-trip Mexican Riviera cruises, and maybe they are doing it partly to get new customers.

Celebrity might want to do the same.

Does anyone remember when big software companies used to give away their product in the beginning? Well, it worked to get people to try out the product.

I notice that Crystal does several round-trip Mexican Riviera cruises, and maybe they are doing it partly to get new customers.

Celebrity might want to do the same.

My parents boarded Crystal this morning out of Long Beach. It's a 10 day Mexico Riveria. Mexico is not my favorite cruise, but Hawaii always has been. I'd like to see more Circle cruises to Hawaii on the M-Class ships.

My parents boarded Crystal this morning out of Long Beach. It's a 10 day Mexico Riveria. Mexico is not my favorite cruise, but Hawaii always has been. I'd like to see more Circle cruises to Hawaii on the M-Class ships.

I'm with you Karynanne ... Mexico isn't my favorite itinerary, but if it's on Crystal or Celebrity, I am THERE just for the ship!

Happy sailing on Crystal Symphony to your folks. ;)

Looks like RCL may be providing the ships for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver:

Unless sometihng happened this week, the deal RCI was working on fell through. We were booked on the Jewel from Vancouver back to San Diego after the Olympics, and were offered a nice compensation deal to move to another sailing.

Oh, let me chime in. I've done so before. I sincerely, with great humility at the largeness of your decision-making compared to my palty concerns, Celebrity person in charge ... but I would really like to take a Celebrity cruise out of San Francisco. I leave this week to fly all the way from SFO to MIA to get on the Constellation ... and that's far more of a hassle than I like. I would like to cruise out of San Francisco and will go practically anywhere you want to take me. (I, in fact, booked a Princess cruise to Mexico at first, reluctantly, and then gave in and cancelled it in favor of a ten day experience on the Constellation. But I can't continue to do that.)

Thank you for listening.

fern

I'm with you - I'd sail out of San Francisco even if the ship just went out and steamed in circles.

It's always amazed me how underserved the West Coast is. From a marketing perspective, the cruise lines have really missed the boat (ha) in not capitalizing on the enormous business possibilities, especially in Southern California with millions of retired people living in the desert communities near Palm Springs. Add Las Vegas and the market multiplies. Many of these people deliberately take their vacations in the summer months so as to avoid the intense summers in the deserts. With the exception of the less expensive, and less luxurious ships, that's exactly when the cruise lines pull up stakes and go to Alaska! I'm sure that the Hawaii cruises, and even the West Coast wine cruises, Oregon coast, San Juan Islands, and Mexico would appeal to this market.

Although we're not retired, this Southern Californian would dearly love for Celebrity to take a leadership position in this area. I realize that RCCL now has 2 ships here but to have an M class sailing lovely itinerares would be a dream. Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't even care where the ship sailed, if it was X, I'd be onboard at the drop of a hat!

Thinking wishfully,

Mary Anne

It's always amazed me how underserved the West Coast is. From a marketing perspective, the cruise lines have really missed the boat (ha) in not capitalizing on the enormous business possibilities, especially in Southern California with millions of retired people living in the desert communities near Palm Springs. Add Las Vegas and the market multiplies. Many of these people deliberately take their vacations in the summer months so as to avoid the intense summers in the deserts. With the exception of the less expensive, and less luxurious ships, that's exactly when the cruise lines pull up stakes and go to Alaska! I'm sure that the Hawaii cruises, and even the West Coast wine cruises, Oregon coast, San Juan Islands, and Mexico would appeal to this market.

Although we're not retired, this Southern Californian would dearly love for Celebrity to take a leadership position in this area. I realize that RCCL now has 2 ships here but to have an M class sailing lovely itinerares would be a dream. Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't even care where the ship sailed, if it was X, I'd be onboard at the drop of a hat!

Thinking wishfully,

Mary Anne

I agree. Although Mercury spent some time doing 7 day cruises round trip from San Francisco for a few years, it was only a handful of sailings in Spring and Fall. What I would like to see are 7-10 day cruises round trip from either SF or LA during summer up/down the West Coast. The port-of-call possibilities are numerous:

San Diego

LA

Catalina

Santa Barbara

Monterey

SF

Astoria

Seattle

A few years ago, HAL would occasionally sail a ship up the Columbia River into Portland on their Spring/Fall repositioning cruises. This is no doubt a very scenic sail up the river and could be one more port possibility.

And to 'qualify' such cruises, all that's required would be one stop in either Ensenada, Nanaimo, Victoria or Vancouver.

Hmmm, I thought we would have heard what the big announcement was by now. It's been a week .

Hi Phamer55 !

While I could easily be wrong, I think the "big announcement" will prove to be little to nothing. Constellation had a hole in her schedule which has now been filled. A Hawaii sailing from San Diego was added for Mid March 2010, but that was it. I've asked around, and I'm not hearing anything. We will see what happens.

Yes, and I just found it. Ewwwww....

Naked bottoms sitting on the furniture throughout the ship?

Does anyone know if this group is required to sit on plastic, at least?

what is the group?

I have a strong idea based on your comments...too bad--it looks like a nice itin on a nice ship..

Well, the rumor has been confirmed. It is not a pair of Celebrity cruises, but rather 2 Azamara sailings 11-nights to Sea of Cortez round-trip San Diego on 1/8/11 and 1/19/11. This is what another poster predicted it was. I am disappointed, was hoping something from Celebrity and something more interesting.

Well, the rumor has been confirmed. It is not a pair of Celebrity cruises, but rather 2 Azamara sailings 11-nights to Sea of Cortez round-trip San Diego on 1/8/11 and 1/19/11. This is what another poster predicted it was. I am disappointed, was hoping something from Celebrity and something more interesting.

Is there any link to the announcement?

But then the cruise would have to at least stop in Canada anyway (due to an arcane American law that precludes cruises from only visiting US ports if they are not US staffed).

They could stop in Victoria, it just across from Seattle....

Carol:)

Archived