Going between traditional and anytime dining

irvine

I definitely have to agree with you regarding Pam in CA. We should all take her approach!

I have to write and tell you how much I admire your always logical, polite and calm way of answering what are sometimes "duh" questions. You never lose your cool. Some of us sometimes do. It's a pleasure to read your posts!:)

I usually choose traditional dining and would not think of trying to enter the anytime dining if I should miss my dining time. I can always go to the buffet or call room service.

Hell would break loose. That's why they should check your ship cards everytime you use AD instead of sporadically. If AD can not go to TD then it should work the other way too. If not, everyone would try to book TD.

A couple of first time cruisers, with a young boy of around 8 were on early traditional on the Emerald in Feb. Whilst chatting with us on deck, they openly admitted to going into AD if they felt like eating later. I asked if they had to get permission and they said not. No one asked to see their card in AD.

Imagine if Anytime Diners turned up in TD and took their seats without permission :eek:

Truer words were never typed! :eek: No wonder some new cruisers don't enjoy their cruises as much as they should. Who ever spoke with irvine just flat didn't know what they were talking about.

As posted above the menus are the SAME and if you want to eat at different times daily just switch to Anytime Dining. I also suggest if you have any other questions post them here on CC and get the correct answers.

I totally agree!!!!! A few times I have asked a Princess rep and received the wrong answer and come on here and got the right one :rolleyes:

Don't even get me started on all the on board crew who will lie to your face and tell you that none of the dining room offer an embarkment sit down lunch.......:mad:

^ That's what I thought :)

Aren't TDers charged for auto-tipping too though? Or do they tip their waiters more because they are getting more personalized service?

I did AD on the Sapphire last week with a party of 9 adults and 4 kids. We never had a problem getting a reservation as long as we called before 5pm. However, they only had availability most of the time around 8pm.

Our last cruise we did Trad for the first time and LOVED it and we left the auto-tip (as always) but tipped the two servers well over and beyond as they deserved it :)

If you select AD how are you expected to tip your servers since they change every day?

That's what auto tipping is designed for. You are charged a daily rate ( I think $10.50/day/pp) and that is distributed between all the wait staff, stewards, etc. You will also have 15% added to every bar bill, but there is no need to tip anyone extra. However, if you get excellent service from your steward or a particular waiter, many people give some extra in cash to them at the end of the cruise.
Excellent answer.

Aren't TDers charged for auto-tipping too though? Or do they tip their waiters more because they are getting more personalized service?
All passengers are charged the auto-tip (or more specifially, the hotel service charge), regardless of whether they dine in the Traditional, Anytime or buffet. No matter where they dine, whether it's for breakfast, lunch, dinner, mid-morning snack, late afternoon snack, late night, etc., everyone receives service in one form or another. It's not just about dinner. And, everyone is charged the same amount depending on their cabin category: inside, outside and balcony cabins: $10.50; mini-suites and full suites: $11.

I have to write and tell you how much I admire your always logical, polite and calm way of answering what are sometimes "duh" questions. You never lose your cool. Some of us sometimes do. It's a pleasure to read your posts!:)
Thank you. I'm not always polite. :) And often, I have to stop myself from getting too grumpy. There are quite a few regular posters who are more thorough than I am and post terrific answers who I admire. :)

I think you might have spoken to a Princess rep that does not have a clue. The menus are the same in Anytime and Traditional. Also on many ships they check cards and do not let Traditional diners into Anytime. Traditional diners have a reserved seat at a set time. If they try to switch over it causes lines in the Anytime dining Rooms.

Probably most of the CSRs answering the phone have never been down to the port. This is a basic answer the phone and give them an answer type of job. Unfortunately for those who are asking a question.

Reminds me of when we were checking in at the port for our last cruise, and the guy at the counter wistfully said that one day he would like to go on a cruise.

I definitely have to agree with you regarding Pam in CA. We should all take her approach!

I usually choose traditional dining and would not think of trying to enter the anytime dining if I should miss my dining time. I can always go to the buffet or call room service.

We're the same way. On our last cruise, which was 15 nights, we ate 14 nights in the dining room at our assigned table and one time in the buffet. If we have a problem getting back onboard on a port night, and miss our seating, it's the buffet for us, which is fine.

I'm confused. Does the Golden allow you to go from traditional to anytime? Our travel agent has told us yes. We have always had traditional but we thought on this cruise we would possibly switch when we got on board. Will we need to talk to the head person when we get on board to switch or is it possible just to go to anytime dining room on any night. We were going to check out our table in traditional and if by a window would keep it otherwise we were going to switch to anytime. This is for an Alaska cruise. I can see how it would increase the wait times which concerns me. We like to go to as many different shows as we can and don't want to have a wait time anytime.

I'm confused. Does the Golden allow you to go from traditional to anytime? Our travel agent has told us yes. We have always had traditional but we thought on this cruise we would possibly switch when we got on board. Will we need to talk to the head person when we get on board to switch or is it possible just to go to anytime dining room on any night. We were going to check out our table in traditional and if by a window would keep it otherwise we were going to switch to anytime. This is for an Alaska cruise. I can see how it would increase the wait times which concerns me. We like to go to as many different shows as we can and don't want to have a wait time anytime.

If you wish to switch to Anytime, it would be courteous to let the maitre d' know so that he can give your space in Traditional to someone on the waitlist who really wants Traditional. As far as wait times, if you're going to switch to Anytime because you don't have a window table in Traditional, then I presume you're going to want to wait each night for a window table in an Anytime dining room -- in which case, there's no way to anticipate how long you'd have to wait on any given night. If you're dead to see every single show and have a window seat, then the only way to guarantee that is to be at the Anytime dining room the minute they open.

There is a lot of misinformation out there from Travel Agents, Princess Reps and others about Anytime Dining being available to Traditional Diners on a given night should they so choose. I think Toto might have mentioned it in this thread or another - possibly the misinformed are thinking of 'Alternate Dining' options such as buffet, Specialty Restaurants or Ultimate Balcony Dining.

These 'Alternate dining options' are available for anyone at anytime. But the Anytime Dining Rooms are intended for those in Anytime Dining as they do not otherwise have an assigned table/time in Traditional Dining.

My opinion - if you sign up for Traditional - that is your assigned table and time. You can choose to do 'Alternate Dining' options for a few nights but you should not consider the Anytime Dining rooms as available to you. As an Anytime diner, I cannot go and take your spot in the Traditional Diningroom, so please do not take my spot in the Anytime Diningrooms.

A plea to Princess - please check diningcards nightly in the Anytime Diningrooms and re-direct Traditional Diners to their assigned table and time or to an alternate dining option.

I haven't done traditional dining on the Diamond or Sapphire (although I've been on both). I seem to recall reading on these boards that the traditional dining room would include the specialty item from each the anytime dining rooms--one specific specialty item on each of several nights of the cruise. Is this true? Has anyone sailed on the Diamond or Sapphire recently that can confirm/deny this?

Love the two ships, but the dining situation on these ships seem to have confused people more than any of the other Princess ships.

We were always early traditional diners until our first cruise with Princess. We picked anytime dining and love it. We also ate in the buffet a lot and enjoyed that as well. We became more "casual" - foregoing the formal nights.

I'm confused. Does the Golden allow you to go from traditional to anytime? Our travel agent has told us yes. We have always had traditional but we thought on this cruise we would possibly switch when we got on board.
Yes, you can switch from Traditional to Anytime but it's a one-way switch. In other words, you can't go back to your Traditional dining table. That wouldn't be fair to all those who wanted Traditional and are waiting in line for a table in Anytime; you'll have TWO tables if you go to Anytime since your table in Traditional will be sitting there empty. For everyone from Traditional who thinks they can pop into Anytime for a night, that makes the lines that much longer for a table in Anytime. Not fair.

Yes, you can switch from Traditional to Anytime but it's a one-way switch. In other words, you can't go back to your Traditional dining table. That wouldn't be fair to all those who wanted Traditional and are waiting in line for a table in Anytime; you'll have TWO tables if you go to Anytime since your table in Traditional will be sitting there empty. For everyone from Traditional who thinks they can pop into Anytime for a night, that makes the lines that much longer for a table in Anytime. Not fair.

Pam is exactly right.

Two weeks ago we had the longest waits we have ever encountered for anytime dining (about 20 min.) and noticed the head waiter from traditional coming to the anytime dining area and counting off 8 or 10 people at a time and then taking them to the traditional dining room because so many traditional diners had failed to show up for their assigned seating and his dining room had many empty tables.:eek:

Folks, if you sign up for traditional, go to traditional. It's that simple.

Mike:)

There is a lot of misinformation out there from Travel Agents, Princess Reps and others about Anytime Dining being available to Traditional Diners on a given night should they so choose. I think Toto might have mentioned it in this thread or another - possibly the misinformed are thinking of 'Alternate Dining' options such as buffet, Specialty Restaurants or Ultimate Balcony Dining.

These 'Alternate dining options' are available for anyone at anytime. But the Anytime Dining Rooms are intended for those in Anytime Dining as they do not otherwise have an assigned table/time in Traditional Dining.

My opinion - if you sign up for Traditional - that is your assigned table and time. You can choose to do 'Alternate Dining' options for a few nights but you should not consider the Anytime Dining rooms as available to you. As an Anytime diner, I cannot go and take your spot in the Traditional Diningroom, so please do not take my spot in the Anytime Diningrooms.

A plea to Princess - please check diningcards nightly in the Anytime Diningrooms and re-direct Traditional Diners to their assigned table and time or to an alternate dining option.

I think some of the terms Princess uses can be confusing. Look at how many times "Personal Choice Dining" is used by people here on CC as well as by Princess to mean "anytime dining," rather than as the umbrella term to mean all the choices. So it's no wonder that CSRs, TAs, and passengers confuse "alternate dining" with the regular dining options.

We are sailing on the Golden Princess in July. This is our first cruise with Princess. We will be a party of 2. Can you please tell me which is better to book the Traditional or Anytime. Thank You

This is something only you can decide.

With traditional, you pick (in advance) to have either early (about 6 PM) or late (about 8:15 PM) seating. You also can ask for the table size you prefer (2,4,6,8,10 people). With your assigned table (it will be on the cruise card you get when checking in) you will have the same dining companions and same waitstaff the entire cruise. The number of tables for two is very limited.

With anytime, you can go to any of the anytime dining rooms at a time of your choosing (which can be different each night) from 5:30 PM to 10 PM. You will likely have different dining companions each night and a different wait staff also. When entering the dining room, you can ask for a table for two or a table to share with others. There may be a wait to be seated if many others choose the same time to arrive. In some cases, you can make a reservation for a fixed time outside of the busy hours.

The main shows in the Princess Theater are scheduled so you can either have traditional dining or anytime dining and still see the show each night.

Only you can decide which is better for you.

Pam is exactly right.

Two weeks ago we had the longest waits we have ever encountered for anytime dining (about 20 min.) and noticed the head waiter from traditional coming to the anytime dining area and counting off 8 or 10 people at a time and then taking them to the traditional dining room because so many traditional diners had failed to show up for their assigned seating and his dining room had many empty tables.:eek:

Folks, if you sign up for traditional, go to traditional. It's that simple.

Mike:)

I completely agree, Mike. We just had the same experience last week on the Island Princess and in fact on "Italian Night" waited 20 minutes in the AD line just to give our cabin number and then were then told to come back 15 minutes later. The waits tended to be longest from 7 to 7:30 or so, and we learned that was because many late seating TD folks had chosen to self-switch to AD. I actually mentioned this to the hostess and was told that the Island's policy is only to check the cruise cards on the first 2 nights.

We also were seated twice in the TD room and learned an interesting thing. I had wondered what had happened to the traditional baked alaska parade and learned that this only occurs in the TD room, so it was fun when we got to experience that again on one of the nights that we were dispatched to TD.

As for tipping, I also learned on this cruise that the extra tips given to the TD waiters are supposed to be thrown into the pool with the auto tips and then distributed amongst the waitstaff from all dining venues. That is supposed to make it fairer for the AD waitstaff who do not have as much of a chance to earn the extra $$. Not sure if they all do this, but it does make sense, although it kind of defeats the incentive to earn more $$ for better service.

We still think AD is the way to go, but would really appreciate it if all ships would check the cards nightly to ensure fairness to passengers who have elected AD.

During their contract period, the waiters are rotated between AD and TD to even things out. My understanding is the waiters get to keep the extra tips.

As for tipping, I also learned on this cruise that the extra tips given to the TD waiters are supposed to be thrown into the pool with the auto tips and then distributed amongst the waitstaff from all dining venues. That is supposed to make it fairer for the AD waitstaff who do not have as much of a chance to earn the extra $$. Not sure if they all do this, but it does make sense, although it kind of defeats the incentive to earn more $$ for better service.

That Princess rep needs a new line of work-

But to be fair==most reps are people that never been on a cruise ship. You can call the cruiselines with the same question over and over-- and get many different replies.

But how sad for the people they are giving VERY wrong information to.

I hope the Supervisor gets ahold of this information so the agent can be corrected.

It really isnt right to be switiching back and forth-- especially when all the dining rooms have the same menu

Agree !!

Have a great vacation on Aruba--probably my favorite easy land vacations--love Aruba

Nancy

My understanding is the waiters get to keep the extra tips.

They get to keep them if the tipper has not reduced or eliminated the "auto-tip." If the "auto-tip" has been reduced or eliminated, the "extra" tip goes into the tipping pool.

Just wondered if anyone could tell me what are the chances of us getting Traditional dining if it is waitllisted?

We have never done a Princess cruise before so this has never been an issue before, we have left it quite late to book therefore traditional dining is waitlisted. We obviously have never tried anytime dining but do love the traditional dining so hope we would not be too disapointed if out request could not be fulfilled. Sorry to sound a little dumb but how can other ships offer traditional dining for everyone but princess cant, are the main dining rooms smaller?

Hope someone can help, I am a little wary of anytime dining tbh,

Rachael

Princess can't offer traditional dining for everyone because they allocate 2 of the 3 main dining rooms on most ships to anytime dining. There has been a lot of discussion here on these boards as to why Princess doesn't just change this ratio since it seems a lot of people request traditional but don't get it. I've never really seen a logical explanation, but that's the way it is. Your best bet would be to see the maitre d' on embarkation day (he will be available at a time posted in the Patter) and plead your case--- hopefully, he will find a spot for you in traditional. If that fails, you can always make a standing reservation in anytime so at least you have the same table, same waiter at the same time every night.

Archived