Does HAL have Champions?

AZjohn

Hammybee,

So I will ask you a question that should be a easy yes or no.

Are you trying to convey, Hey wake up and smell the coffee, this has always been a part of CC?

Thanks, John

No:o

It was a ramble because I am surprised that that anyone is surprised that some posters are "acknowledged" by their favored cruise line, for any number of reasons.

That CC acted as the messenger between one of their long time advertisers and some targeted consumers (who were already advocates of the cruise line), did however, surprised me, too.

You and the other HAL employees have been upfront since day one. All of your "inside information" has been great to hear. What a personaly appreciate is all of you do not try to persuade anyone to book HAL, rather just offer the info you can on the "inside" workings of HAL.

But I will ask you DBA, does HAL have any marketing similar to the Royal Champions?

Thanks,

John

I can honestly tell you I have heard of nothing even remotely close to this.

IMO, it's truly unfortunate that my level of trust in some of the posters here is now shaken. There are at least two posters on this board for whom I have now had an "ah-ha!" moment. I have to wonder if HAL has rewarded either of them, because if they have, their posts all come into perspective now. It all makes sense.

And I would rather not feel that way. I don't want to be suspicious of the people I feel I have come to know--even without ever meeting. I would rather trust my own instincts about them.

The fact that I no longer can saddens me.

I'm with you Ruth & it now makes sense to me too..I'm also saddened by this, altjhough after reading Laura's post I understand wherre they are coming from..After all we all keep forgetting that RCCL is the only Cruise Line whjich officially sponsors & puts notices in their daily programs about Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle functions..

Although to be honest, I've always seen the Officers on HAL welcome Cruise Critic folks..

got to run..wsomeone at my door..Back shortly

I'm with you Ruth & it now makes sense to me too..I'm also saddened by this, altjhough after reading Laura's post I understand wherre they are coming from..After all we all keep forgetting that RCCL is the only Cruise Line whjich officially sponsors & puts notices in their daily programs about Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle functions..

Although to be honest, I've always seen the Officers on HAL welcome Cruise Critic folks..

got to run..wsomeone at my door..Back shortly

RCCL rep with your monthly check?;););)

I've read this entry with a lot of interest. As a librarian [ retired] I AM familiar with consumer issues and doing research; That is what we all are doing on the internet, possibly with a goal of cruising or possibly just dreaming of the next one. I think if you are savvy enough to use the internet-you are savvy enough to understand what the posts AND the posters are. There are the cheerleaders for cruising and a specific line and there are the complainers who complain about almost everything AS they are BOOKING their next cruise. There are also the in-betweeners. We read what we want to read and do what we want to do -hopefully prepared by the research we've done here at CC or other sites. As with ALL sources; You're on your own when you draw conclusions; That is neither and "good" thing or a "bad" thing- it just is.

There are several factors -such as the skill of the writer to get across what he is trying to explain. There is also a difference in cruising a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean vs a World Cruise -in experience and expectations. There is also the PERCEIVED personality of the poster and the sampling of his posts [ DEAD serious or with a lot of humor] If you don't balance your research with other forms, you lose something in making your choices.

Cruise Critic isn't perfect, but balanced with ALL the other forms of information, you should be able to choose a cruise, understand what you are getting into, and know as you are boarding your ship-what the over all expectations even ARE. And, after all, isn't that what all these boards are for?

Anne

The really sad situation out of all of this is what it's done here on CC.

Regardless of whether these individuals received any perks or not (as there's currently much debate about this), just the implication, along with the removal of a number of threads on the RC board, seems to have fractured things over there. Half the people are on the defensive, half are accusatory, and some are just (probably rightly) trying to duck and cover.

Perhaps RCI had good intentions going into this, but to see how it has all unfolded, I can't help but think that the whole thing exploded in ways they never probably intended - and that worst of all, it's caused a bit of a rift amongst their own customers. Individual posters, not Royal Caribbean, are being criticised for their actions. That's not cool. I like Royal Caribbean, but the whole thing makes me rather sad.

Hi Everyone,

No one likes to feel duped. Payola, money, in kind payment, it all sounded worse that it was was in the inital posts. However, it is paid advertising, no doubt about it. RCCL spends a portion of it's dollars to support it. Is it money well spent? Who knows, we can only take the companies word for their intent. But it seems everyone agrees there was a couple of free nights given.

To be a believable advocate it is important to have a bit of criticism too. I usually give less credit to posters with almost complete support or complete negatively. Maybe all of this started in some innocent way, as most payola does, but the fact critcism is also a part of it doesn't discredit the relationship between cruiseline and poster.

The posters I do not get are the attackers. Some have suggested they are getting paid, is this true? Are they advocates of some sort fulfilling a job? The job requirement, verbal assaut because someone reports a poor experience.

The heart of CC is all of those who made friends, learned a tip or two about cruising. I have met a few great people in my short time. But the truth is the more posts I need to take with a grain of salt the less participation and exposure to what i really think I will be willing to share.

The posters I do not get are the attackers. Some have suggested they are getting paid, is this true? Are they advocates of some sort fulfilling a job? The job requirement, verbal assaut because someone reports a poor experience.

Most of us have received a bit of a mauling from time to time when we state something went wrong or we were dissatisfied with something on a HAL ship. Most of us have seen someone get told "that would never happen". If the people doing the "mauling" and "denying" are paid (in goods, services, perks, or cash), then I would be DANGED annoyed. I might (if annoyed enough) go back and find every post made by the mauler or denyer. But then again, I might just figure what goes around comes around, and the dupers will some day be duped.

As for the "paid" part, (as in cash compensation), certainly some of the hotter political boards have had posters who were paid money for every post they made during the run-up to the last US election. Whether or not that is the case here, I have no idea. I've yet to see any post where one of the "advocates" has flat-out denied cash payments.

Honestly, I doubt that HAL would do this -- they can't even make their website user-friendly, so it is unlikely they have a very sophisticated marketing group :D

My grandmother, who died in 1954, used to say that “a guilty conscience needs no accuser”.

To all you posters, who don’t think this a big deal, please answer this question.

Why was the thread pulled, deleted, removed?

Only Cruise Critic knows why it was removed and they don't discuss removals, so all that's left is speculation which doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

I dunno if this has been said yet, but I see it this way:

1) A satisfied cruiser posts positive reports on CC about their experience with a certain cruise line...

2) Cruise line is flattered and impressed...

3) Cruise line management decide to reward the poster(s) of positive reports...

4) Word spreads that people who 'champion' that cruise line get rewards...

5) Suddenly, people are falling over themselves to create a post that will be seen by the cruise line management, thus earning themselves a reward...

6) The whole reward system is now corrupt and without merit.

Posters who were honest and did not expect any compensation are a) probably trustworthy in their statements and b) are thrilled to be surprised with a reward.

Posters who were motivated by the possibility of reward in exchange for good reviews, because they saw it happen to others have no credibility to me.

Posters who were honest and did not expect any compensation are a) probably trustworthy in their statements and b) are thrilled to be surprised with a reward.

Posters who were motivated by the possibility of reward in exchange for good reviews, because they saw it happen to others have no credibility to me.

The problem is, you'll never know which is which.

Some posters believe their status as a member of CC entiltles them to recognition...

After all these years, are you saying I'm wasting my time & it doesn't? ;) LOL

RCCL rep with your monthly check?;););)

Yep, you must have ESP..It was the Rep.with the monthly check! But the check was only for 2 cents..That's what they consider my opinion to be worth..;) Looking for another Job! My resume goes out to HAL tomorrow!

Cheers Everyone..... Betty

P.S. Please excuse all the mis-spellings on my previous post,:o I was so anxious to get that check..

It is unethical to "champion" a product with compensation/reward without acknowleding the relationship one has with the company providing the compensation. Lack of transparency is a huge problem today in our society. I was shocked to learn that RCI has been encouraging "champions" to endorse their product on Cruise Critic.

My grandmother, who died in 1954, used to say that “a guilty conscience needs no accuser”.

To all you posters, who don’t think this a big deal, please answer this question.

Why was the thread pulled, deleted, removed?

Boytjie is correct..According to Cruise Critic rules you must ask either Laura or the Moderators, why threads, or posts were removed.. We are not permitted to discuss removal's here & if we do our posting privileges could be rescinded..

Suggest you send an e-mail to them..

:) Betty

Well, if it puts anyone's mind at ease, I've been up front since Day 1 about it and do this because I have a passion for HAL and have since I first started working for the company. :D

Your situation and what we're talking about here are two completely different things. First, you've been completely up front, people appreciate that and enjoy your input from the 'inside'. And second, we're not talking about employees ... this is more a question of perks and 'advantages' (I think) in exchange for talking up a cruise line.

That someone may or may not be inclined to book a cabin on a cruise ship based on what they have read is small potatoes compared to say, starting a rumor about the origin of a company's meat or tainted drugs or financial condition.

And then we have sick adults posing as children/teens on social networks....With anonymity, anything and everything, is possible.

Confused:confused:. I simply said people come here to learn about cruising and I believe generally they are trusting of the posters. I said it's disappointing you really can't take anything at face value anymore. Not sure why you're bringing up something else entirely unrelated to the discussion perverted and upsetting as it may be. The two situations are unrelated.

Getting back to the subject, though, we could even take it a step further. In the years I've been on CC I have cruised on Celebrity and HAL. In all my reviews I have compared the two lines and have said that Celebrity gets the edge every time with HAL a close second except for one time when the service on the Veendam outshone any other service we've ever received. Others come here and say Celebrity more than gets the edge.

So one could argue that possibly we're getting perks from Celebrity for putting a fly in the ointment on the HAL board. You can take this a long way if you want to and start to nitpick every poster.

I still believe that most people posting here are honest about their feelings. I have never trusted anyone who says their cruise was perfect or HAL can do no wrong. Nothing is perfect ... ever. But I really think this forum is mostly made up of people who love cruising, love HAL and write honestly about their cruise experience.

This discussion shouldn't ruin CC for anyone. Each cruise is in the eye of the beholder and while everyone's experiences are a great guide, you never really know until you try different cruise lines for yourself!

P.S. Someone posted they are uncomfortable reading reviews on Trip Advisor. I've posted several reviews there and also read them religiously!!! I wouldn't stay at any resort without first checking it out there ... photos too. Hasn't failed me yet!:D

IMO, it's truly unfortunate that my level of trust in some of the posters here is now shaken. There are at least two posters on this board for whom I have now had an "ah-ha!" moment. I have to wonder if HAL has rewarded either of them, because if they have, their posts all come into perspective now. It all makes sense.

And I would rather not feel that way. I don't want to be suspicious of the people I feel I have come to know--even without ever meeting. I would rather trust my own instincts about them.

The fact that I no longer can saddens me.

I agree with you. I read the boards quite a bit when I have an upcoming cruise. There are a few members whose posts I take with a grain of salt. In fact, sometimes I play a game: I put these "grain of salt" posters on "ignore." I read a thread, see the ignored poster has responded, and I guess what they have to say before I view their post(s). With rare exception, I typically manage to guess the essence of what they have posted. :) While I may have suspected something in the wee back portions of my mind, this was a lightbulb moment for me too. With me, I don't so much feel sad as validated.

IMO, it's truly unfortunate that my level of trust in some of the posters here is now shaken. There are at least two posters on this board for whom I have now had an "ah-ha!" moment. I have to wonder if HAL has rewarded either of them, because if they have, their posts all come into perspective now. It all makes sense...........................................

Come on Ruth, do tell! Sounds like as good a time as any to open some of the 'ah-ha" closets here on the good ol' HAL thread and 'out' those rascules;) Maybe, just maybe, the Spanish Inquisition will even show up with the wash rack and the comfy pillow!:)

Come on Ruth, do tell! Sounds like as good a time as any to open some of the 'ah-ha" closets here on the good ol' HAL thread and 'out' those rascules;) Maybe, just maybe, the Spanish Inquisition will even show up with the wash rack and the comfy pillow!:)

You just can't go expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

No one expects The Spanish Inquisition!!!!!

Their chief weapon is perks and free cruises

TWO

Their TWO chief weapons are PERKS....FREE CRUIsES....and an almost fanatical devotion to RCCL..

THREE *LOL*

Confused:confused:. I simply said people come here to learn about cruising and I believe generally they are trusting of the posters. I said it's disappointing you really can't take anything at face value anymore. Not sure why you're bringing up something else entirely unrelated to the discussion perverted and upsetting as it may be. The two situations are unrelated./quote]

Heather,

A lot of people have a tendency to believe what they read on the internet. They do not take into consideration that anonymous posters sometimes have motivations.

Internet rumors have moved markets, when enough people react and dump their stock and create selling momentum based on nonsense posted on the internet. People make and lose serious money.

The social networks are chock full of people pretending to be someone else, and some have intentions of serious harm.

That a flock of poster geese who have long encouraged others to cruise their favored cruise line might be acknowledged by the cruise line, is indeed small potatoes, compared to some of the serious stuff happening on the internet.

Being skeptical about what we read on the internet is a good thing.

That a flock of poster geese who have long encouraged others to cruise their favored cruise line might be acknowledged by the cruise line, is indeed small potatoes, compared to some of the serious stuff happening on the internet.

Being skeptical about what we read on the internet is a good thing.

hammybee, you speak true wisdom!

Archived