Does HAL have Champions?

AZjohn

Umm, the Royal Champions are NOT paid by Royal Caribbean. Yes, some did receive an invite to a pre-inaugural event, but not all. Most haven't received anything at all other than the email inviting them to be a Royal Champion.

Oh, I know they're not employees in the traditional sense.

But, some of them are being paid to promote RCCL, in essence. Being paid "in kind" with free cruises, etc.

So, this type of relationship seems to me like they are being paid to cheer RCCL. I don't see a problem with that...

Nothing wrong with that. There's no law that CC posters cannot be biased.

You may want to re read the guidelines;)

"Cruise Critic defines advertising as an individual or company's attempt to generate business or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our Cruise Board."

"Cruise Critic defines advertising as an individual or company's attempt to generate business or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our Cruise Board."

Sure, it's toeing the line... ;) But one could argue that those who are rabid HAL supporters (or Celebrity, or any line) are attempting to generate business for the line of their choice. We all know of certain posters, in whose eyes (cruise line name) can do no wrong. Those people tend to bash the other lines.

Sure, it's toeing the line... ;) But one could argue that those who are rabid HAL supporters (or Celebrity, or any line) are attempting to generate business for the line of their choice. We all know of certain posters, in whose eyes (cruise line name) can do no wrong. Those people tend to bash the other lines.

I agree;)

You know, "public trust is a bust":eek:

Yep, I do. Check out this thread. Do you see any names you know?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=932627&highlight=royal+champions

Wow ... too much to read/digest.

I am amazed that these people are claiming to be champions.

Of course not being immersed in the Royal Caribbean board, it doesn't really affect me.

If something similar were to happen here on the HAL board, I would find it more surprising/interesting I guess.

Come on John, everybody's got a price:eek:;):D

Go ahead, make me an offer . . . ;)

There are a number of HAL fans here, I'm one, but most of us do not hesitate to say what we DON'T like.

Perhaps these "champions" counter balance those "super critics" who are first time posters, and whom you never here from again?

............. Check out this thread. Do you see any names you know?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=932627&highlight=royal+champions

Very interesting, AZjohn.The post by Laura, CC's community manager, is a real eye-opener and education to me:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18268733&postcount=58

I feel like a prize chump. Here I've been cruising and cheerleading for HAL all this time, and I coulda been getting freebie cocktail parties with RCCL bigwigs instead.......:p

If there are such posters on the HAL forum as there clearly are on the RCI forum, it would in no way reflect on CC and it certainly wouldn't be CC's fault. How could CC possibly know if someone is getting perks, etc., from a cruise line? Completely impossible.

There are many posters here who believe HAL hung the moon, but I certainly don't think all of them are getting any benefit from that. Are some of them? I think it would be naive to think otherwise.

Nothing surprises me anymore and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if there are rewards of some kind for people who write great reviews about a cruise line. However, if it reaches the point of being literally paid to write a good review, that's over the line.

HAL recognizes posters from CC on their ships all the time. Posters have said so right on this forum. So if they're familiar with a poster and feel they want to reward them, I can't see how that reflects on CC in any way.

How could CC possibly know if someone is getting perks, etc., from a cruise line? Completely impossible.

Hi Heather,

Well I guess CC does per Laura’s post, or at least knows about RC's (see link in middle-age-moms post right above yours).

HAL recognizes posters from CC on their ships all the time.

This is true. While I went to the Meet&Greet (or whatever HAL calls is) on the Oosterdam I was shaking hands with the Hotel Manager (James Deering) and the first thing he said was “oh, so your AZjohn”. Kind of freaked me out, but then he said he had read some of my posts, and then I freaked out even more:eek: (lol).

And from Middle-Aged Mom: The post by Laura, CC's community manager, is a real eye-opener and education to me:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...3&postcount=58

Cruise Critic should amend their guidelines if they are going to advocate the use of indirect advertising on their boards. RCL is monitoring the posts of their champions and giving them perks, so in essence, they are "paid" sponsors of RCL. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with this type of promotion, however, it goes against the current Cruise Critic guidelines.

I go back to the very early days with CC, when it was an uncensored AOL chat room, like all chat rooms, back then. The loyal RCL passengers dominated the room, from the start.

There was a sense of an RCL connection. It was never clear to me if this was RCL being amongst the first to recognize the power of the interent or more. The whole Meet and Mingle thing originated with RCL.

The instability of the AOL platform, at that time was not conducive to paying a lot of attention to what may or may not have been going on behind the scenes and over time, it did not matter.

People have and will continue to use message boards/blogs to influence people. We all strive to be heard and have our opinion matter and influence. No doubt some are guns for hire. An internet opinion or rumor can cause markets to react and serious financial consequenses for publicly traded companies.

This happens because too many, are too easily influenced by what they read on the internet and assume it to be so.

Cruise Critic should amend their guidelines if they are going to advocate the use of indirect advertising on their boards. RCL is monitoring the posts of their champions and giving them perks, so in essence, they are "paid" sponsors of RCL. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with this type of promotion, however, it goes against the current Cruise Critic guidelines.

Neilson trolls the internet on behalf of their clients who pay them to harvest and make the information relevent.

How would an operator of a message board, any message board, distinguish between someone being paid to influence versus someone who has strong opinions one way or another, about a given brand?

It's viral marketing by definition. Considering the anonymity of the internet, we need to take everything we read on line with a big grain of salt. I don't know how Cruise Critic would be able to police the threads because of the anonymity. Just read smart, even if you think you know the poster.

----Penny

After reading the article I must say I am still stunned a woman was told she was banned for life after posting her experience about the sewage back up in her room.(RCL)

It sounds like she complained but also reported how her problems were resolved but other posters from CC asked she be banned for life?!

I wasn't around when this was happening, so maybe the rest of you know "the rest of the story".

Apparently she is happier with her new cruise line, but it is a bit of a shocking story.

I always suspected this. Some posts on the HAL forum come across as more than cheerleading. Posts that defend or make justifications for service cuts, such as entertainment reductions, tray removals, or the institution of electronic documents are a few that make me wonder the motives of some posters.

It's sad that Cruise Critic has allowed "manufactured opinions" to occur on their forums. I truly value this site for comments and suggestions made by experienced cruisers and travelers concerning specific features of a cruise line or port information. The information shared here is extremely valuable to me.

However, due to this revelation opinions that attempt to sway others to a point of view in favor of a cruise line will for me be viewed as suspect.

Joe

However, due to this revelation opinions that attempt to sway others to a point of view in favor of a cruise line will for me be viewed as suspect.

Joe

Actually, posts that defame a person, brand or company are far more prevelent than those that attempt to influence favor.

Competitors, disgruntled employees/former employees and whack jobs all have equal opportunity to hide behind anonymous screen names and post messages and express accusations, rumors and opinions, without facts, for the purpose of defamation.

The Communication Decency Act of 1996 generally protects operators of message boards and blogs from liability so long as they do not contribute to the posting.

The internet is not however, as anonymous as most people think. People have been tracked and prosecuted.

Archived