Would you like #1 adult only restaurant?

Ladder55

would you like to see 1 adult only restaurant?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. would you like to see 1 adult only restaurant?

• Yes I would
    • No I would not

I love going out to dinner without children. But I am the mother of two wonderful boys (ages 11 & 13) who love to dine out. I often travel without my husband, so we three dine together. Maybe the cruise lines could enforce a no children after 8:30 or 9PM rule. We will be leaving in less than 5 weeks on our cruise, and we don't plan to ever eat in the main dining rooms or at the buffet. We will probably only eat at the specialty restaurants.

I vote no on just a blanket no-kids restaurant. I travel with my young kids, both who are good.. but aside from that.. on nites we are eating in Le Bistro or similar, we bring an Ipod Video for them to keep entertained.. Dinner for them in no later than 6PM and we get 1 hour MAX to get in and out...

but.. if they want to add an 8:30pm rule on some nites, that is OK with me and totally fair.. but to say you cant eat somewhere at all because you're with your kids just wouldnt fly with me. There are other cruise lines that cater more towards no kids allowed.. NCL is not one of them, which is why I sail them to begin with.

There are not "no kids" restaurants on land... I have frankly found that the occasional child in a fancy restaurant is usually quite well-behaved. We've also never had a problem in the surcharge restaurants on NCL. For people who don't want to see kids at dinner on their vacation, just book a later time (8 or later). We do that just because it is consistent with our dinner time at home, but I have noticed there are rarely kids around then.

If parents want to bring a well-behaved child to a nice restaurant, they shouldn't be denied that.

I honestly don't get it either. Unbelievable that people would be offended by the suggestion. Like you said, there are 13 other restaurants or the main dining room then. And everyone thinks their kids are well-behaved. Everyone thinks their children should be included in everything anymore.

I honestly don't get it either. Unbelievable that people would be offended by the suggestion. Like you said, there are 13 other restaurants or the main dining room then. And everyone thinks their kids are well-behaved. Everyone thinks their children should be included in everything anymore.

who said anyone was offended?

there are 14 restuarants onboard, to make just 1 adult only, doesnt seem fair or realistic?

I dont get it

Please don't shout. If you want an adult only cruise/ adult only restaurant, you are entiled to this opinion. You have asked for opinions. You have received them.

If you find children to be disruptive and loud, I would politely ask that your virtual "speak" on this board not be so loud either......

I think Cagneys should be children only

Seriously-I agree with this (except maybe it could be more than one):

I wouldn't want to have a restaurant that was adult only, but I think they might have one restaurant with adult only hours, maybe later in the evening.

Most definitely yes. It would please so many and disadvantage no one.

I usually dine in very small groups of two or three so we can enjoy quiet, relaxing conversation, but quite often (like Terry mentioned) ours will be the table next to the fussy child and it's a pain in the neck to have to pack up and move to another table when it should be the parent's responsibility to calm the kid down or take him out of the restaurant.

as a parent of an only child who we always vacation with I would have to vote yes...my child is 9 and a great kid who is very good, loves his escargot and goat cheese. ..BUT being that at home we don't really have sitters to watch him and go out, on our cruise if i choose one night on the cruise to go for a nice dinner with my husband i really don't want to sit next to other kids at all and that includes teenagers!

As much as I love seeing families on cruises, I had to vote yes to this one. It is really a joke between Doug and me that if there is a screaming kid in the whole restaurant, the kid will be at the table next to us. No matter if land or sea. It happens to us ALL the time. Much more so than it not happening.

that happens to us too and another thing that I swear happens no matter what restaurant we are at is that someone will either 'sweep' or vacuum the floor right next to us.

I think it's a great idea. We have four kids and we do like to take them out occasionally- they are very good, but sometimes if they are even louder than a whisper i feel like i have to shush them so they don't bother the "kid haters". My DH said to me last time we were out that my "shushing" was way louder than the kids! If adults who don't want to be disturbed are in the "adults only" rest., then i feel like i can relax and not have to expect my kids to be absolutely perfect.

as a parent of an only child who we always vacation with I would have to vote yes...my child is 9 and a great kid who is very good, loves his escargot and goat cheese. ..BUT being that at home we don't really have sitters to watch him and go out, on our cruise if i choose one night on the cruise to go for a nice dinner with my husband i really don't want to sit next to other kids at all and that includes teenagers!

How did you ever convince him to try his first escargot? I still haven't been able to do that yet.

How did you ever convince him to try his first escargot? I still haven't been able to do that yet.

LOL he is an awesome kid and has always been okay with the two bite rule, if you don't like it after two bites you don't have to eat it. and he LOVED escargot! Mind you the kid hates chocolate milk....hes quirky lol.

I voted NO because I have a well behaved 12 year old foodie who we enjoy at all meals.

Still, I understand that some adults would like a 100% adult venue for dinner. I'd be satisfied if they allowed children in an otherwise "adults-only" restaurant a couple of times during the cruise. For example, on your typical 7-night cruise, two nights could be "family friendly" and 5 night would be "adults-only".

I think that compromise would be fair and satisfy most cruisers. Any response?

I too have a very well behaved 9 yr old who dines out with us all the time. He loves to eat and try new foods all the time; but I actually voted YES on this one. There are lots of restaurants on all of the ships and I think that there should be 1 adults only restaurant. Kids can eat anywhere at anytime and every restaurant allows them in there. One for adults wouldn't be a problem. Stick them in kids crew club and dine w/ your spouse or S.O. or go eat elsewhere with your children.

It would be perfect for honeymooners, anniversary celebrations and just romantic nights without hearing kids crying or even hearing well behaved children chatting.

I think it's a great idea. We have four kids and we do like to take them out occasionally- they are very good, but sometimes if they are even louder than a whisper i feel like i have to shush them so they don't bother the "kid haters". My DH said to me last time we were out that my "shushing" was way louder than the kids! If adults who don't want to be disturbed are in the "adults only" rest., then i feel like i can relax and not have to expect my kids to be absolutely perfect.

I've never seen any "kid haters" in the restaurants but I have seen people get very frustrated with screaming, crying, or misbehaving children. I think that would annoy most adults that are trying to have a relaxing meal.

If your shushing is louder than your children, then your kids are definitely NOT the ones I'm referring to. Nothing wrong with dinner conversations that are louder than a whisper (even if kids are involved) it's the ones that are so loud you can hear them throughout a small restaurant.

I think it would be fair if the adults-only restaurant served the same food that was available in other restaurants on the ship. However, if it is a specialty restaurant with a certain cuisine that you could not find elsewhere, I would be upset.

It's true that Disney has a restaurant that is adults-only called Palo. We love it. Unfortunately, our son would love it, too, but has never dined there. It's the only specialty restaurant on the ship. On our last DCL cruise, we asked the manager if we could bring back an order of the tenderloin for our son. He said it was the first time anyone had requested that and he was pleased to help. When we left, he sent a waiter to our room and delivered a complete spread for my son: an arugula salad, smoked salmon appetizer, tenderloin with red wine sauce, and a chocolate souffle. (We did pay an additional cover charge and left a hefty tip). My son was thrilled! I was blown away by their kindness. Still, I wish I could just bring him with us sometime. I believe that there has to be room for compromise so that everyone has access to the same food.

Me, too. For all of the above reasons. I have two children (now grown) and I love children, but I think if sitting next to an unruly child spoils someones meal or evening, that alone should be reason enough to have at least one adults-only restaurant. People on a cruise should be able to have an expectancy of peace and quiet if they like.

Ya know after reading the responses here, I started thinking about when our kids were young...

We definately had to "alter" our lifestyle to accomodate the kids....and that included forgoing the nice restaurants or our favorite bar/pub/hangout.

It's a change you make because it best for the kids, yourself and all the others in these venues. There are just some places and things you don't do once you have kids...at least while they are young...and we know how fast they grow up...so it's only temporary...and the one day, Yay!, we get to go eat with the adults again!! ;)

Amen! This is how it was when I was a kid. It seems to be more and more common for SOME parents to feel they should not have to adjust their lifestyle just because they have kids. Those are the parents that bother me, not just because the kids misbehave and I get annoyed, but because I feel it is not good for the kids.

There are not "no kids" restaurants on land...

They do exist on land. And there are restaurants with multiple dining rooms that set aside one of those rooms to be adult only. The one I know of is always fully booked.

Archived