Would you like #1 adult only restaurant?

Ladder55

would you like to see 1 adult only restaurant?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. would you like to see 1 adult only restaurant?

• Yes I would
    • No I would not

For the purpose of this poll can anyone tell me what is meant by 'adult' or 'child'?

Monte, that's easy. Neither you nor I fall into the "adult" category. ;)

But seriously, for me 12 is not an old enough cut off age. I think it has to be 18.

As anyone here who has ever read my posts knows, I am a tireless child advocate. But on this I vote YES. If there was one place people could be child free, even if only for an evening, it may stop the whining about children in general.

There are places children should be, and places they should not be. I did my duty at AppleBee's when they were little, and now take them to more "grown up" venues, but some places have an ambiance that is more adult. Not to say many children would not be able to behave nicely (I'd like to think mine would), but unfortunately it is hard to say "You with the well behaved child can come in" and "You with the screamer can not".

FYI-I am not aware of adult only hot tubs--my kids have been in them on Dawn, Jewel and Spirit. Are you sure? Because I never saw any signs and I am not really a rule breaker so would not have allowed them in if they were truly adult only.

FYI-I am not aware of adult only hot tubs--my kids have been in them on Dawn, Jewel and Spirit. Are you sure? Because I never saw any signs and I am not really a rule breaker so would not have allowed them in if they were truly adult only.

This is the problem with the adult hot tubs, the signs are very small. I didn't realize they were adult only for several cruises. I had to read about it here and then looked for the tiny signs. Most people are not intentionally breaking the rule, NCL needs to make more of a point of it. I'm still not sure if they exist on every ship, but on the Pearl and Gem the tubs beside the adult pool are supposed to be adult as well, but I'd be surprised if 10% of the passengers realize it.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but it could rotate. Say Mondays its the Italian, Tuesday it's the steakhouse etc. I would not want one of the no charge restaurants to be adults only unless I could go to the one that served children even if I did not have mine with me.

Karysa

I was a no vote. We sailed on Disney and did not dine at Palo, their adult only restaurant. We personally thought the food on Disney was lousy and heard the raves about Palo. My daughter, at four was a better and more adventurous eater than lots of adult posters I see here. (The ones who order the steak and chicken from the always available section of the menu) She orders filet (medium rare), chilled soups, fondue, salads, veggies, fruits, lobster..when you have a child who enjoys food and is well behaved I feel they should not be excluded from these experiences. At six, she is quite well experienced at restaurants and pretty well traveled.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but it could rotate. Say Mondays its the Italian, Tuesday it's the steakhouse etc.

Someone may want to go on Mon. night and they don't care for Italian.;)

Restaurant would need to be one that has a wider variety to please more people. It could also get confusing following which one is adults only on which night.

I would not want one of the no charge restaurants to be adults only unless I could go to the one that served children even if I did not have mine with me.

Karysa

It would not be one of the no charge restaurants. You have me confused about what you mean by "going to a restaurant that served children even if you didn't have yours with you."

Ya know when I started this poll, I really thought it would be an overwhelming YES vote.

I can see that it is not.

I am really having a hard time grasping to those that vote NO because they want their children included. to me voting No is being a little greedy, again 14 restaurants, make 1 of them adult only, if you have children how is this affecting you, you still have 13 choices nightly.

no rotating, no after 830pm, it does not have to be that complicated, just one adult only restaurant, whats the big deaL??

The hot tub signs I read were plenty big enough, they are right in front of them, but yet kids were still in them, 2 shows we went to, ADULT only, but there were all kinds of kids there.newlywed, perfect couple games, kids there...wth? Adults need to step up to the plate and follow the guidelines, just because your on vacation does not mean you just say screw it and let them do whatever they want to make your life easier, I am a dad of 2 and have respect for others and their "space"

ncl also needs to start enforcing the guidelines put in place for the few things that are adults only because from what ive seen the adults are sometimes just not responsible enough or respectful of their fellow cruisers.

I think it's a great idea. We have four kids and we do like to take them out occasionally- they are very good, but sometimes if they are even louder than a whisper i feel like i have to shush them so they don't bother the "kid haters". My DH said to me last time we were out that my "shushing" was way louder than the kids! If adults who don't want to be disturbed are in the "adults only" rest., then i feel like i can relax and not have to expect my kids to be absolutely perfect.

I don't think anyone expects perfection from a child. And if they do, too bad. By the time we were taking our 2nd child out to resturants we just concentrated on the boys being behaved. We wouldn't let them carry on, but if they started giggling or laughing I didn't try to shush them. Whe the oldest was a toddler, he had a bit of a defiant streak. Twice he "tested" me by acting up in a resturant. Twice he and I left and sat in the car while mommy ate alone. After hearing two long winded lectures, and not having dinner, there was no third time. ;)

It taught me too. When I was young, I had much less tolerance to kids in public. But now I know what the kid and parent are going through. "Happy" noise from kids doesn't bug me too much. But when a kid is upset and carrying on, I expect the parents to be making an effort to get things under control. I hate it when a child is pitching a fit, and mom and dad ignore them. Perhaps that's okay at home, but not in a resturant.

Someone may want to go on Mon. night and they don't care for Italian.;)

Restaurant would need to be one that has a wider variety to please more people. It could also get confusing following which one is adults only on which night.

It would not be one of the no charge restaurants. You have me confused about what you mean by "going to a restaurant that served children even if you didn't have yours with you."

I am sorry but you are confusing me.:)

My suggestion is that it is a different pay restaurant that is the Adult only selection and it rotates on a nightly basis OR if it is one of the main dining rooms I would like to be able to attend the one that is "child" friendly even if I am cruising with my husband and my children are not on board. In other words I think that a small intimate restaurant that is adult only would be nice but I would miss children in the main dining room even if mine were home.

Karysa

Ya know when I started this poll, I really thought it would be an overwhelming YES vote.

I can see that it is not.

I am really having a hard time grasping to those that vote NO because they want their children included. to me voting No is being a little greedy, again 14 restaurants, make 1 of them adult only, if you have children how is this affecting you, you still have 13 choices nightly.

What results are you looking at? It looks pretty overwhelmingly "yes" to me!

Parents, (myself included) frequently are made to feel like second class citizens. I remember sitting in resturants when my kids were being perfectly quiet, and sitting still. So many folks heading toward their tables would sneer as they walked by. This was in family places like Cocos' and Marie Callenders, not some upscale romantic resturant. So even thought I voted yes, for one resturnat to be adult only, I can understand if some other parents may feel slighted. But that doesn't change my vote.

Parents, (myself included) frequently are made to feel like second class citizens. I remember sitting in resturants when my kids were being perfectly quiet, and sitting still. So many folks heading toward their tables would sneer as they walked by. This was in family places like Cocos' and Marie Callenders, not some upscale romantic resturant. So even thought I voted yes, for one resturnat to be adult only, I can understand if some other parents may feel slighted. But that doesn't change my vote.

I guess thats what I do not understand.

is why they might feel slighted

I too have taken my kids to plenty of restaurants, but there are appropriate places and the first whim that they seem like they will"act up" one of us drags them out, I will not ruin a meal for others that paid to be waited on and relax. the poll looks overwhelming yes, but i can not comprehend the no's and I have tried to look at it from many different views.

I'm very glad that I didn't vote in this poll till the clarification was made as to what age "adult" is. I was a college freshman by the age of 17 (late birthday) and to say that I would not have been allowed to dine with my parents because of an 18 and older rule is ridiculous in my opinion. So, I voted for #2 strictly for that reason.

CG

That's just rude! But I must say that I am often treated like a second class citizen because I DON'T have children. Plus, I feel as though so many things in our society are focused on parents with young children. But I shouldn't be surprised at how you have been treated, there are just some people who want to make others feel like less to make themselves feel like more, so I guess it doesn't matter if you do or don't have children.

I enjoy seeing well behaved children and have complemented parents when I see it. I was inspired by a woman who actually paid for my brother's family's meal in appreciation of how well behaved his kids were at a restaurant when they were young. I can't afford to do that, but I like to show my admiration when warranted. But, to be perfectly honest, I have sat near badly behaved children (or rather badly behaved parents who allowed it) so often that I might be wary if your family were seated next to me. But I certainly would try to hide my prejudice unless and until it was proved warranted. If they know how to behave at a dinner table, children are a joy to see.

I'm very glad that I didn't vote in this poll till the clarification was made as to what age "adult" is. I was a college freshman by the age of 17 (late birthday) and to say that I would not have been allowed to dine with my parents because of an 18 and older rule is ridiculous in my opinion. So, I voted for #2 strictly for that reason.

CG

Did Ladder clarify that? Or are you going by others' opinions. I am just curious - it's not like it's "official." :) I am sorry if I missed it. I am also sorry if it seems ridiculous, but to me, making the cut off younger defeats the purpose.

adult =18 and up

Did Ladder clarify that? Or are you going by others' opinions. I am just curious - it's not like it's "official." :) I am sorry if I missed it. I am also sorry if it seems ridiculous, but to me, making the cut off younger defeats the purpose.

Yes, it was clarified.

CG

Yes He did clarify that he meant 18 and over and even though I was married at 16 and so presumably would be excluded, though often exceptions are made to such rules for married couples, but that is a side issue, I STILL would vote an overwhelming YES.

and I find the people with kids that say having ONE such place is not fair, are so totally self absorbed it is rediculous.

It is all I see on here one side that just wants the rules enforced because they have selected their cruise based on their needs and so pick one that SAYS for instance No smoking, or adult hot tubs or adults in spa or no jeans or t shirts or hats or whatever in dining room etc. because those are the supposed rules.

They then pay THEIR money get on the ship and find that the other people figure since they PAID for their cruise they can do what ever they please because it is THEIR vaction and Too Bloody Bad for everyone else.

Now I know there is NOT an adults only restaurant with few exceptions but if there were you can be sure these same people would be right there insisting on their RIGHT to enter it.

and you notice those that stick up for the policies in place are considered fuddy duddies, dress police, child haters etc.

This isn't going to change until the cruise lines step up and enforce their rules whatever they are. and Damn the consequences which of course will never happen either.

I would like a restaurant that excludes adults who can't handle the presence of children. I think, all things considered, that such adults pose a far greater problem than kids.

There's probably no reason why there couldn't be a restaurant like that, too, I would think.

I don't know that I would necessarily have a problem if there was one AO restaurant. I voted '2' not because I would have a problem with there being one, but I wanted to 'defend' the kids to a certainn extent. Although I too am a parent I have been guilty of prejudging how I thought a cruise would turn out based on the number of kids aboard. I was wrong and I admit it now.

Onboard the dream 21 months ago we were onboard and on our deck which I think was four, the kids (teenagers) all chose to hang out at the foot of the stairs. They would typically 'hang out' all the time (it seemed). I envisaged door banging, lots of noise/giggling etc. Fights maybe even?

However apart from walking past and noticing them you wouldn't have known they were there, although the crew were possibly having to clear up plates from the buffet; that they discarded there (deck 4? stairs) occasionally, I would have nothing else negative to say. It was a pleasant surprise.

I guess if everyone could 'control' their kids behaviour we wouldn't have this discussion though. And to that point I have to concede - there are some times when I wish we could tell other peoples kids to behave! I just think it's sad when we have to exclude our own daughter from things because she's a 'kid'!

I would like a restaurant that excludes adults who can't handle the presence of children. I think, all things considered, that such adults pose a far greater problem than kids.

That won't work. Just like every parent has only beautifully behaved children (like mine :D) The kid haters will tell you that they LOVE children. (I guess they just can't stand to be around them.)

There are not "no kids" restaurants on land... I have frankly found that the occasional child in a fancy restaurant is usually quite well-behaved. We've also never had a problem in the surcharge restaurants on NCL. For people who don't want to see kids at dinner on their vacation, just book a later time (8 or later). We do that just because it is consistent with our dinner time at home, but I have noticed there are rarely kids around then.

If parents want to bring a well-behaved child to a nice restaurant, they shouldn't be denied that.

But with so many choices why would it hurt to have an adults only restaurant? I don't understand..As for after 8pm, sure that is a great idea, problem? When we were on the Spirit a few months ago a family did bring their little one to Le Bistro after 8pm or I think it was just about 8pm. On another night a young couple brought there toddler, in his stroller to the late showing of "Second City" when the little guy decided he would rather cry than sit quietly his parents let him scream..

The first time we ate in Le Bistro (about 12 years ago) we did eat late and our granddaughters who were 10 and 14 at the time had no desire to eat with us. We had a wonderful meal with Daughter, SIL and each other, kids had a blast doing their own thing that night..

Nita

Archived