Ship refurbishing, drydocks—Dates and details of Celebrity ships

gillianrose

When I called Celebrity today I was given some information about two of the Millennium-class ships.

This is what I was told (agent left phone to check and came back with this information):

Celebrity Constellation was last refurbished May, 2007 and will next be refurbished April, 2010.

Celebrity Millennium was last refurbished April, 2007 and will next be refurbished April, 2012.

Although the Millennium is going into dry dock for repairs this week, I was told there will NOT be any other refurbishing done. I have read something in a roll call stating something different, but I don't know if it is true. Perhaps someone can provide more information here.

My hope in posting this information in one thread is so that whatever anyone knows for certain (or rumor from a reliable source), that is dates, details of what is to be done, etc. on all of Celebrity's ships will be posted in this thread so we don't need to search roll calls and other threads. I have seen some photos which indicate there may be some deterioration in condition of some soft furnishings and varnishing that has worn off, but perhaps those things have been taken care of already.

For many of us ship condition is very important.

Hi Gillianrose !

Thanks for the information. I noticed Constellation's 2 week hole in her schedule, after she does her TA in April 2010. I figured it would be a Drydock, and your information seems to confirm it.

As for Millennium, she's going into Drydock in a few days. As this Drydock is on short notice, I can't see how Celebrity will be doing much more than the necessary repairs to Millennium. What I am curious about, is that Millennium has another hole in her schedule in May, which I believe is a scheduled Drydock. The question remains, what happens with the May opening ? Does Millennium have 2 Drydocks in a 6 week period ? Or, do they defer the 2nd one, and add some sailings to her schedule ? We will see what happens.

Hi Gillianrose !

Thanks for the information. I noticed Constellation's 2 week hole in her schedule, after she does her TA in April 2010. I figured it would be a Drydock, and your information seems to confirm it.

As for Millennium, she's going into Drydock in a few days. As this Drydock is on short notice, I can't see how Celebrity will be doing much more than the necessary repairs to Millennium. What I am curious about, is that Millennium has another hole in her schedule in May, which I believe is a scheduled Drydock. The question remains, what happens with the May opening ? Does Millennium have 2 Drydocks in a 6 week period ? Or, do they defer the 2nd one, and add some sailings to her schedule ? We will see what happens.

Hi Host Andy :)

Even though the Millennium will only be in for a few days, it should be enough time to do some painting of rust, varnishing of wood (furniture, at least), in my opinion. It would disturb passengers less to have these (smelly) procedures done while folks are not on the ship.

I wasn't aware of another hole in Millennium's schedule in May. It certainly was not mentioned to me. Perhaps someone else will know.

Hi Gillianrose !

Hi and greetings - would you possibly have any info as to when the Summit was last refurbished as some travel sites say Refurbished and others donot provide this. Would greatly appreciate any info.

...I wasn't aware of another hole in Millennium's schedule in May. It certainly was not mentioned to me. Perhaps someone else will know.

Here is the thread that talks about the May, 2009 drydock for the Millie. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=857472&highlight=millennium+drydock

Like Host Andy, I too am curious about what they will do with the May schedule. Personally, I am skeptical about =X= trying to fill the timeslot with cruises. With such short notice, I think they would have trouble finding passengers to get the ship up to a profitable capacity level. Planning routes is another issue. I guess they could start the Alaska schedule early but weather kind of dictates when they sail to Alaska.

If they were planning a lot of ship layout changes in May, the scheduling of materials and manpower may not be sufficiently flexible to fit with the earlier drydock. Supply chain management these days only have the materials showing up about ten minutes before you need them. That's a bit of an exaggeration but not too far off the mark. A lot of specialized craftsmen are required to make changes to the public areas.

A few years ago, we were on the Infinity a few weeks before a "pod bearing replacement" drydock. Our cabin attendant indicated the hotel crew would stay on board to give the hotel portion of the ship a thorough cleaning. The shipyard portion of the work was limited to tearing apart the pod and replacing the bearing.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. We cruised on the Millie in January, 2008 and she was showing a bit of wear and tear. We have booked a Panama Canal cruise on the Millie this fall and wanted to see a ship freshly out of drydock. Time will tell. :confused:

...Celebrity Millennium was last refurbished April, 2007 and will next be refurbished April, 2012.

I just reread this part of your post after my last reply. I tried to edit the reply but the 15 minute time limit got me. :eek:

We cruised on Millie in January, 2008 and the furnishings did not look to be only eight months old.

Our cabin had worn carpeting, furniture (table, sofa and chair), and bathroom fixtures. The 11th deck lounge and MDR lounge had old furniture and carpeting. Cabin consummables (towels and linens) were well used, frayed and mended.

I know that =X= replaced the bedding (mattresses and bed covers) in the 2006-2007 on the M-class ships but I wouldn't call that a refurbishment. Just my opinion. I think you got some bad info from Celebrity. This is not a complaint. We had a great cruise but the ship was showing wear.

We were on the Millie in February last year and the furniture was definitely older than a year. That being said, they were replacing carpeting during our voyage. Much of this stuff can be done without going to drydock. There is certainly no need to go to drydock to replace linens and towels.

I just reread this part of your post after my last reply. I tried to edit the reply but the 15 minute time limit got me. :eek:

We cruised on Millie in January, 2008 and the furnishings did not look to be only eight months old.

Our cabin had worn carpeting, furniture (table, sofa and chair), and bathroom fixtures. The 11th deck lounge and MDR lounge had old furniture and carpeting. Cabin consummables (towels and linens) were well used, frayed and mended.

I know that =X= replaced the bedding (mattresses and bed covers) in the 2006-2007 on the M-class ships but I wouldn't call that a refurbishment. Just my opinion. I think you got some bad info from Celebrity. This is not a complaint. We had a great cruise but the ship was showing wear.

Replacing mattresses and bed covers en masse is very much a major part of refurbishing! Holland America made that a centerpiece of their "Signature of Excellence" several years ago and Celebrity did a similar replacement. I care more about the bedding (mattresses, covers, linens) than I do about varnish, though varnishing and painting is much better done over a few days while a ship is in dry/wet dock than while passengers are aboard due to the fumes.

But I agree that obviously worn or soiled furniture is not what I want to see on a ship, either. The Zuiderdam of HAL was a very tired-looking ship in the summer of 2007 when we cruised on her, but I think they have updated the ship since then. We don't cruise on HAL anymore, so I don't really know.

The calendar year age of a ship does not mean one should expect to see a lot of wear. Carpeting, towels, bed covers or linens should all be replaced as needed on an ongoing basis. Anything soiled should be cleaned or replaced immediately, in my opinion.

Let's hear from more cruisers about what they know about the upcoming refurbishing of all the Celebrity ships.

Hi and greetings - would you possibly have any info as to when the Summit was last refurbished as some travel sites say Refurbished and others donot provide this. Would greatly appreciate any info.

I didn't ask about the Summit or any other ship than Constellation and Millennium, since they are doing itineraries that are of interest to me.

Anyone can call Celebrity or their travel agent and agents and "insiders" who may know of these details are encouraged to post here.

It's an information-sharing thread meant to be a collaborative effort. :)

This is disappointing. I will be on the Millie on June 12th and was looking forward to the refurbishment as described on the thread posted above. But not it looks like this is not the case:( If anyone has anymore insight, please share.

I will be on the Millie July 3 and my TA did say she was being refurbished in May. That was one of the reasons why my family chose to do this cruise. I don't remember specifics however I am emailing my TA now to find out.

I will be on the Millie July 3 and my TA did say she was being refurbished in May. That was one of the reasons why my family chose to do this cruise. I don't remember specifics however I am emailing my TA now to find out.

Great. Please post back here with the results. :)

Ok, so my TA says that the ship is getting a "total redoing" in May. She was not able to give any specifics stating that Celebrity doesn't want the competition to find out. I can understand that. However, when we first booked the cruise I remember her giving us a few examples. I just don't remember what they were. Sorry I wasn't able to be much help. I know my family will have fun one way or the other. It would be nice though if some of the problems I have read about get fixed.

Ok, so my TA says that the ship is getting a "total redoing" in May. She was not able to give any specifics stating that Celebrity doesn't want the competition to find out. I can understand that. However, when we first booked the cruise I remember her giving us a few examples. I just don't remember what they were. Sorry I wasn't able to be much help. I know my family will have fun one way or the other. It would be nice though if some of the problems I have read about get fixed.

I wonder why Celebrity told me that there would NOT be any refurbishing this year.

If there are extra cabins to be added (a la Infinity), then that is a step backwards, for sure.

Someone must know something. Let's keep this thread front and center and maybe someone in the know will see and comment.

While we were sailing on 3/1/09 Solstice... we were told Millennium was going to be going into dry dock. One of the things they were going to be doing was changing the Oceanview cafe around to be like Solstice.

Charlie

I just talked to a contact at Celebrity,

And the Millie is going into dry cok in May for 2-3 weeks or something. They are updating Tvs and new buffet etc...

This is achievable as I have seen them do way more then what is planned on The RCCL ships drydock that was on TV, in the same time frame

Please remember the Celebrity rumor mill is horrible and their customer service when you call will often get wrong information.

There is a big misunderstanding that many have about drydocks. Ships go into dry docks to service items which can't be serviced while at sea and these are generally mechanical systems. Items such as bedding and minor maintenance can be done while at sea. Ships will do maintenance while in drydock but the PRIMARY purpose of drydocks in most cases is to service mechanical areas.

I just talked to a contact at Celebrity,

And the Millie is going into dry cok in May for 2-3 weeks or something. They are updating Tvs and new buffet etc...

This is achievable as I have seen them do way more then what is planned on The RCCL ships drydock that was on TV, in the same time frame

Hi Toronto !

I agree they "can" do the work in 2 weeks, but everything has changed, since Millennium is going into an unscheduled Drydock next week. The question remains, if they can relocate the May Dryock items to Sydney, and do some of the work planned for May, while the ship is in Drydock next week..... OR, do they only do the mechanical repair next week, and put Millennium into a 2nd (previously scheduled) Drydock in May ? I realize this may be the only viable option, but it will be an expensive one for Celebrity.

From what I am hearing, Celebrity has not made a final decision on the May Drydock yet. We should hear more about the May Drydock shortly. Stay Tuned !

I think when everyone starts comparing the decor on S class with M class, X may have to do some more updating of those ships along the way....

I also hope the last vestiges of Cirque Bar At the edge will be removed from Summit as soon as they can get to it in the obs lounge!

When on a Australia/NZ cruise, I spoke with the onboard booking consultant, we were on Millennium at that time. She told me that celebrity was definitely doing a "softgoods" (including sofas/chairs) and carpeting upgrades, and possibly new flatscreen TVs being added. She said there was talk of some bigger upgrades, changing of buffet restaurant and adding new specialty restaurants but that was not confirmed at that time (November), and there was no hard commitment on that, but it was possible. So that's what they were saying at that time regarding the May drydock.

Archived