Ship refurbishing, drydocks—Dates and details of Celebrity ships

gillianrose

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Toronto !

I agree they "can" do the work in 2 weeks, but everything has changed, since Millennium is going into an unscheduled Drydock next week. The question remains, if they can relocate the May Dryock items to Sydney, and do some of the work planned for May, while the ship is in Drydock next week..... OR, do they only do the mechanical repair next week, and put Millennium into a 2nd (previously scheduled) Drydock in May ? I realize this may be the only viable option, but it will be an expensive one for Celebrity.

From what I am hearing, Celebrity has not made a final decision on the May Drydock yet. We should hear more about the May Drydock shortly. Stay Tuned !

An update may have been posted elsewhere, but I have searched and cannot find more recent information.

Is the Millennium May Drydock still scheduled and, if so, what scope of work has been confirmed?

Thanks.

B

But I agree that obviously worn or soiled furniture is not what I want to see on a ship, either. The calendar year age of a ship does not mean one should expect to see a lot of wear. Carpeting, towels, bed covers or linens should all be replaced as needed on an ongoing basis. Anything soiled should be cleaned or replaced immediately, in my opinion.

Agree 100%. ;)

Having just returned from Constellation on 3/27 I can tell you that she needs an overhaul. They completely renovated the 2 penthouses those 11 days and we lived in a construction zone, having an aft cabin on deck 7. Celebrity did compensate us but a warning prior to sailing would have been nice. Seems it was a fire hazard issue with the teak deck and surroundings, including the deck chairs. We received a letter 2 days after sailing from Customer Reltations relating to the maintenance being done to those cabins. It wasn't maintenance, it was an overhaul. We were also told it would only be done on port days so we wouldn't experience too much noise. NOT. They worked 24/7. Our friends had a get together in their cabin, same deck, and he called down and asked if they could limit the noise since we'd be out on the deck, about 25 people. We book the aft cabins for the veranda, love them, but if you wanted to relax, not happening on this trip.

They were completely replacing the railings on deck 11 around the pool. Yellow tape was everywhere. The railings in the cabins were terrible. I've not sailed on a Celebrity ship where the railings weren't being repaired at all times. Never saw a painter as in the past either. For some reason Constellation doesn't seem to be kept up as well as the other ships we've been on and she's the youngest of the M class. There was also a lack upkeep on this ship and it was a disappointment.

So, maintenance is an ongoing project.

We loved the cruise, were with so many CC friends that it made little difference to our experience.

Having said this, the crew were wonderful. Can't rave enough about our service and the waiters, bartenders and dining staff were terrific.

This is just my opinion, but many in our group felt the same.

Now you guys have me concerned they may be cancelling the scheduled May dry dock.

I was really looking forward to some level of refurbishment in May prior to our June cruise. I'm not terribly fussy and can definately overlook some wear and tear as long as everything is clean, but from what I've heard, Millie needs a bit of TLC. I do understand that dry dock is for mechanical, but I hope if they completed the work that required dry dock in Sydney, they will at least wet dock in Vancouver for some interior refurbishment. I'm still really hoping for updated soft goods and the new tv's!

on the Celebrity website, note that the cabin description refers you to two different places - one for cruises before 4/2010, and one for cruises after. I am concerned that this means the dry dock is postponed but would like to know for sure

on the Celebrity website, note that the cabin description refers you to two different places - one for cruises before 4/2010, and one for cruises after. I am concerned that this means the dry dock is postponed but would like to know for sure

Here's a thread that explains the deck plans before and after 4/2010.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=955483&highlight=cabin+reclassification

Still no word on the details of the May 8, 2009 - May 22, 2009 dry dock.

B

Here's a thread that explains the deck plans before and after 4/2010.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=955483&highlight=cabin+reclassification

Still no word on the details of the May 8, 2009 - May 22, 2009 dry dock.

B

thanks - that's exactly what I mean. Why the 4/2010 date??? Makes one think they are rescheduling the upgrades

We were on the Infinity in early January - the ship had just come out of drydock a few weeks before. Hoping that the ship would look "shipshape" - we were greatly disappointed - instead we witnessed filthy windows everywhere - worn/outdated furniture, and bed linens that had seen better days. Drydock does not mean refurbishing - in many cases it is just to correct some mechanical problem(s).

• 9 months later...
Did they refurbish her in 2009?

This thread is about a year old but here's the answer to your question. Millie was in for work last year. Here is the link to what was done..

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=00006hT74R_FXViiWpIOTfhjZC7:12hdbcveb?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2009-05-13&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone know what changes or improvements are being made to Constellation. Will they be making similar changes to Millenium.

thanks

Jerry

I would aso be interested in date for and IF any drydock is scheduled for spring 2010 on Millie\\

pema

does anyone know what changes or improvements are being made to Constellation. Will they be making similar changes to Millenium.

thanks

Jerry

Constellation is going into drydock in April. She has nothing on the

schedule after her April 11th sailing. That cruise is 13 nights so it would

finish on the 23rd. The next sail date is May 9th. So for those 2 weeks

they will be doing a lot of stuff.

I would aso be interested in date for and IF any drydock is scheduled for spring 2010 on Millie\\

pema

I would doubt that Mille would be going into drydock this year since she had major work done last year. This type of work is only done every three or four years...Heres a link to the press release from May of 09.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=00006hT74R_FXViiWpIOTfhjZC7:12hdbcveb?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2009-05-13&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

I believe the "improvements" are the "Solsticize" they are doing to all the Millie class ships starting with the Connie. There have been press releases about it. They are adding the other specialty restaurants and making the decor more in line with the Solstice decor.

I think it's great, as long as they leave the Tpools on the ships!!!

I am just 3-weeks off the Constellation. The cruise director told me that the refitting included bulkhead and floor changes to re-purpose some of the common areas. For example, he said that the hole above the Rendezvous Lounge would be filled in with new decking to permit better use of the space. He said that there would be new specialty restaurants, possibly in that area.

Per Celebrity:

"Solsticize it:" Celebrity's Millennium Class to receive Solstice Class features

"Through our Designed for You platform, we plan to leverage our Solstice Class ships' stylish, modern design and ambience even further," said Hanrahan, revealing that Celebrity plans to incorporate iconic Solstice Class attributes across the fleet, most notably through a significant revitalization of all four Millennium Class ships. Celebrity Constellation will be the first to receive the new enhancements during scheduled drydock in April of this year.

Among the Solstice Class features to be introduced on the Millennium Class ships:

• More opportunities to relish Celebrity’s world-class cuisine with the addition of Tuscan Grille, the Napa Valley-meets-Italian-steakhouse venue found on Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox
  • Bistro on Five, the vibrant, popular creperie introduced on Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox
  • A Solstice Class-inspired, ice-topped Martini Bar paired with Crush, whose ice-filled table presents a selection of chilled, top-tier vodkas
  • The cool Café al Bacio and Gelateria, replacing the former Cova Café
  • As introduced on the Solstice Class, an Enomatic wine bar, the state-of-the-art, Italian designed wine serving system allowing guests to select and serve, at the touch of a button, the wines of their choice by the glass
  • More sumptuous suites, on a par with those in the most modern hotels in Europe, with all new furniture, flat-screen TVs, upholstery, bedding and carpeting
  • Restyled staterooms, with entirely new carpeting, flat-screen TVs, upholstery and bedding
  • New color schemes, carpeting and upholstery reflective of Solstice Class in every public venue, from the Celebrity Theater to Seaside Grill, from the main dining room to Michael's Club

I am just 3-weeks off the Constellation. The cruise director told me that the refitting included bulkhead and floor changes to re-purpose some of the common areas. For example, he said that the hole above the Rendezvous Lounge would be filled in with new decking to permit better use of the space. He said that there would be new specialty restaurants, possibly in that area.

Per Celebrity:

"Solsticize it:" Celebrity's Millennium Class to receive Solstice Class features

"Through our Designed for You platform, we plan to leverage our Solstice Class ships' stylish, modern design and ambience even further," said Hanrahan, revealing that Celebrity plans to incorporate iconic Solstice Class attributes across the fleet, most notably through a significant revitalization of all four Millennium Class ships. Celebrity Constellation will be the first to receive the new enhancements during scheduled drydock in April of this year.

Among the Solstice Class features to be introduced on the Millennium Class ships:

• More opportunities to relish Celebrity’s world-class cuisine with the addition of Tuscan Grille, the Napa Valley-meets-Italian-steakhouse venue found on Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox
  • Bistro on Five, the vibrant, popular creperie introduced on Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox
  • A Solstice Class-inspired, ice-topped Martini Bar paired with Crush, whose ice-filled table presents a selection of chilled, top-tier vodkas
  • The cool Café al Bacio and Gelateria, replacing the former Cova Café
  • As introduced on the Solstice Class, an Enomatic wine bar, the state-of-the-art, Italian designed wine serving system allowing guests to select and serve, at the touch of a button, the wines of their choice by the glass
  • More sumptuous suites, on a par with those in the most modern hotels in Europe, with all new furniture, flat-screen TVs, upholstery, bedding and carpeting
  • Restyled staterooms, with entirely new carpeting, flat-screen TVs, upholstery and bedding
  • New color schemes, carpeting and upholstery reflective of Solstice Class in every public venue, from the Celebrity Theater to Seaside Grill, from the main dining room to Michael's Club

We will be aboard Constellations last cruise before drydock. This will be our third cruise Connie, and we love the ship. The improvements sound great, and I look forward to scheduling another cruise to see her after drydock.

Does anyone know what will be done with the Century, which is supposed to be going into dry dock April 26 to May 3 or 4? I'm hoping it's more than mechanical problems since we are booked on her for September.

Hi,:) I didn't know Century was having mechanical problems.

Being out for one week? April 26-May 3?.....Maybe the ship is being

chartered and nothing is being done to her at all.

Archived