Celebrity VS Carnival

DTC

Would you cancel a trip on the Carnival Liberty for a trip on the Celebrity Summit?? I'm pretty new to this whole thing and have seen Celebrity ships but have not heard anything about them.

Looks like they have dining that you have to pay extra for!? Any details and opinions would be welcome.

Thanks

This really has a lot to do with your personal preferences. Carnival Liberty is a newer ship with tons of activities. Celebrity Summit is a few years older and more refined, but of Celebrity's most popular class.

This is comparing an apple to an orange. If you really enjoyed your Carnival experience, Summit may disappoint you. But if you think Carnival was a little over the top in certain areas, Summit will probably meet your likes.

Looks like you'd be the Royal Caribbean pro!! :)

We enjoyed our Carnival so I think we'll stay with the Liberty. We have a 14 yr old boy so I'm sure he'll appreciate that also.

Looks like you'd be the Royal Caribbean pro!! :)

Yea. I'm one of those "if it ain't broke..." people. However, I am reaching out and giving Celebrity a try in a few weeks. :)

Enjoy your cruise. You'll have a blast!

I've done them all and if you are bringing a child, stick with Carnival. If it was just a couple without children, I'd definitely recommend Celebrity. And, BTW, Celebrity isn't the only line that has pay extra restaurants. Princess, RCI, NCL and most others now have alternate restaurants that charge extra.

I have a hard time even responding to the OP. My problem is that after reading the post, it seems that the poster has very little knowledge of cruise lines. The alternative restaurants (these are the ones you pay extra) are really a very tiny part of Celebrity (or any other line except for NCL where they have more importance). The two lines try to present a totally different atmosphere from each other, and its hard to compare. And than there is the issue of the individual ships, where there are significant differences between the ships on each line. Not knowing anything about the poster (i.e. age, children, preferences, itineraries being considered, etc etc) it is impossible to give any guidance. But, to put it in a single sentence, Carnival tries to market itself as the "Fun Ships" with lots of activities, and Celebrity tries to market itself as more upscale (debatable), somewhat sophisticated, etc. The ships of both lines are nice, but there are huge differences between the various classes.

Hank

I agree that this is like comparing apples and oranges. Carnival and Celebrity are not even in the same class...they are both perfectly good cruise lines, but they have COMPLETELY different target markets. Other posters have already explained why. :)

I've done them all and if you are bringing a child, stick with Carnival. If it was just a couple without children, I'd definitely recommend Celebrity. And, BTW, Celebrity isn't the only line that has pay extra restaurants. Princess, RCI, NCL and most others now have alternate restaurants that charge extra.

Carnival's Supper Club too.

beachchick

Would you cancel a trip on the Carnival Liberty for a trip on the Celebrity Summit?? I'm pretty new to this whole thing and have seen Celebrity ships but have not heard anything about them.

Looks like they have dining that you have to pay extra for!? Any details and opinions would be welcome.

When you ask about the extra dining, are you saying you want this? If so, Celebrity's alternative dining blows Carnival's away.

But like the others said, if you are traveling with a kid, stick with Carnival. Without the kid, I would definitely recommend switching.

In my defense.....I stated I hadn't heard much about Celebrity. What I was asking, is exactly what I got!! Celebrity is more of an upscale, adult oriented line. Ok great!! I'll remember that when my son is old enough to stay home and we go alone.

I'm am fully aware of the "extra cost" restaurants, as I believe Carnival has some also. Not a big deal. Sorry if I offended some of you, that certainly wasn't my intent. Again, I stated I'm new to this and had not heard much, if anything about Celebrity. Thanks for those of you who responded.

In my defense......

No need to defend yourself. Comparison threads tend to attract certain attitudes. This one was actually tame. Just weed out the garbage and learn from the informative ones.

Whichever cruise you decide to go with, you'll have a great time!

Thanks

I see you've done Carnival and Disney. Celebrity is totally different. Not really filled with all the bells and whistles for kids that those have. (pool slides, ice skating, rock walls etc)

Have you looked into Royal Carib. if you are looking for a change? That's where I'd look next considering your previous choices. Especially with kids. It's more of a happy medium with a great kids program if you need it.

Have a great cruise, either way.

Royal Caribbean was my first choice. Right now, with the economy, I figured I should watch my pennies. Ultimately that is the line I'd like to cruise with. Maybe next one. I've been checking their prices, as I can cancel my Carnival cruise with 100% refund. I would be ecstatic if their

prices came down, even just a tad. I'll keep watching them.

Thanks!!

In my defense.....I stated I hadn't heard much about Celebrity. What I was asking, is exactly what I got!! Celebrity is more of an upscale, adult oriented line. Ok great!! I'll remember that when my son is old enough to stay home and we go alone.

I'm am fully aware of the "extra cost" restaurants, as I believe Carnival has some also. Not a big deal. Sorry if I offended some of you, that certainly wasn't my intent. Again, I stated I'm new to this and had not heard much, if anything about Celebrity. Thanks for those of you who responded.

Not at all. I think that several of us simply weren't quite sure what you were asking in regards to the surcharge restaurants in particular. It wasn't clear whether you were looking for specialty restaurants, didn't want to deal with specialty restaurants, or didn't quite know what they were. You've cleared that up, so there should be no more confusion.

beachchick

Archived