Princess Lodges

bigmjh

I've never done flights at Denali, so no help there. The McKinley Lodge is over 100 miles from the entrance to the park. Don't worry, you're not the first one to not know that - and I blame Princess for not being more specific - but it's not in their best interest to let people know what they're getting when things aren't exactly what they think they're getting..:rolleyes:

Thank you Budget Queen! We could do one more day. Do we need two days at D/Park and what would be your next must see!?

Yes, you need two days at Denali Park, with that you need the 6 hours of transit time each way, and a bus INTO Denali of at least 8 hours. Otherwise, I don't suggest you consider it. Seward is more doable in your short timeframe, in my opinion.

Flightseeing is available from Talkeetna Aero out of both Talkeetna and Denali Park.

IF you are arriving via rail for the McKinley lodge- then STAY in Talkeetna and don't be in a rush to get to the lodge. Enjoy the town and do your flightseeing either side of your arrival or departure. It makes no sense to go back and forth the 2 hour round trip transit more than once.

We will be staying here at the Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights. What about this lodge? What is there to do here? We have a whole day of leasure.:o

Fishing is for the famous Cooper River Salmon. The only other choice that I think is worthwhile is a flight to McCarthy/Kennicott. The lodge is also isolated, with nothing in the immediate area for activites. I am surprised you did not look what is available in this area before you booked??? Depending on your itinerary, you may have been better off with something else perhaps, especially if you only have one night at Denali Park. IF these two activites aren't of interest, you may want to look at the Cooper Landing lodge, which have Seward activies, which are many. :)

Actually, we will be staying in Denali for 2 nights before we arrive in Copper River. I read that there is a jet boat ride that sounds like fun. Also, the Copper Center Roadhouse Lodge sounds like a good place to go for lunch. We want to fill up on delicious wild salmon. Is that a good restaurant to have salmon?

I was told the normal shuttle bus schedule is:

McKinley Princess shuttle schedule:

Departing Princess to Talkeetna: 7 am to 7 pm, every hour on the hour.

Returning to Princess from Talkeetna: 10:30 am to 9:00 pm every hour on the half-hour

I don't know what the charge is or if the 2009 schedule will be different. YMMV

Wow, I am so confused.

We are flying to Fairbanks from Seattle, one night at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge, NHT which I understand is not owthwhile, however TWT, tundra Wilderness Tour (?) is worth time and money, leaving next day @ 3 pm for Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge, two nights.

Okay, Is Denali National Park near Denali Princess Lodge? My understanding is the park is not anywhere near McKinley Wilderness Lodge and there is not a lot to do.

So, any suggestions for us? Myself, DH, and 2 14 year olds.

Horseback riding, how far to Anchorage, rent a car?

One more ?, Is the Lodge food included in the Princess tour package?

Thanks

The Denali Lodge is at an area called locally "Glitter Gulch". It's about a mile from the entrance road to the park. Yes, the TWT is worth the money. The McKinley Lodge is over 100 miles from the entrance to the park and 50 miles from Talkeetna - the closest town. The McKinley Lodge is about 150 miles from Anchorage (I think - could be a little more or less).

No food is included with the land tour. Food will be 25 to 50% more expensive than an equivalent meal would be at home, depending on where you live.

Wow, I am so confused.

We are flying to Fairbanks from Seattle, one night at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge, NHT which I understand is not owthwhile, however TWT, tundra Wilderness Tour (?) is worth time and money, leaving next day @ 3 pm for Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge, two nights.

Okay, Is Denali National Park near Denali Princess Lodge? My understanding is the park is not anywhere near McKinley Wilderness Lodge and there is not a lot to do.

So, any suggestions for us? Myself, DH, and 2 14 year olds.

Horseback riding, how far to Anchorage, rent a car?

One more ?, Is the Lodge food included in the Princess tour package?

Thanks

It is too bad, this has you confused, since it appears this choice is not what you thought it was when you booked. A common problem that is seen over and over. One night at the Denali Lodge is lacking and definately the highpoint of interior Alaska, is getting into Denali Park which you won't be. If you look at your cruisetour choice, this may not be a good choice for you?? The McKinley lodge is not accessable to the national park, at 100 miles away. You are also 50 miles from the nearest town of Talkeetna. Correct, there is not much to do at the lodge it self. You also are aware that your kids will probably be the only ones on the cruisetour??? Very very few kids are on these. You have no option anywhere for a car rental. Anchorage is 133 miles from McKinley Princess. And finally, NO food is included in your land portion, unless specifically mentioned. Budget 50% more than you would at home.

Based on your post- my opinion only, and take this suggestion or not. But I would cancel your land portion and go independent. I'm assuming you have already booked your air?? You would be stuck with a high cost one way rental car, BUT you would have FAR more opportunities for fantastic touring. See several sites in Fairbanks, spend two nights at Denali park and get on the Eielson Shuttle bus, free for the kids, About $40 each adult- SEE WAY more scenery and wildlife. Continue on to Talkeetna, one night, if of interest, or enjoy the many attractions of Anchorage. Plenty of B&B's to consider, with a great Alaska link for everyone. The ability to stop all along the way, will pay off many times over. Plenty to do. I will speculate that your overall costs won't be that different from your cruisetour, but certainly will offer you 20 times more. I am never an advocate of "settleing" for poor touring choices, when there is the ability to change it. If you need any help, this board can offer you completely accurate trip information.

Budget Queen, Love the name, I hold a black belt in thrift shopping and I am cheap by choice. However, as regards travel I am willing to spend, just want bang for my buck. Thank you so much for your input. I have not booked air. We have some free flights anywhere in the continental US so I am not losing anything by cancelling the land portion of the trip.

With 22,000 plus posts I am confident about your ability to advise. How kind of you to share your knowledge and experience.

I am thinking to take the free flights and fly from Seattle to Fairbanks and or Anchorage, rent a car and go that way....ending up on the cruise.

this trip is a signoficant amount of vacation budget. I love these boards.

Thanks, Cathy

Well I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth (although probably not worth more than a penny or so). I thought both lodges were nice but you are really out and away at the McKinley lodge. If you have "older" folks with you who cannot travel and you have to check out of your room by 10:00 AM or so, you will pretty much be stuck if you don't have something planned. We sat around the lodge for a long time because my step mother could not do much walking and we did not plan for the "remoteness" of the lodge. If you want to eat, you will eat at Princess. We were on a southbound trip and did a excursion the day we got there. However, the next morning we sat for about 5 hours in the lodge waiting for transport to go to the train and on to Anchorage. I would encourage you to figure out what to do if you have a long wait and enjoy the remoteness. The great thing about our wait was the Denali was out with no clouds and it was spectacular. I must have taken over 100 photos that day of Denali from the lodge and the train. Just understand that McKinley Princess is not in a town like Denali Princess - although Denali is not a big town, it has far more than what you have at McKinley Princess. Do visit Talkeetna and enjoy some food. We did that the day we arrived and should have gone in early the day we left. Would have had a much better day.

Another question, Are the $99.00 Alaska coupon books worthe the money?

If you want to consider going independent, these coupon books can offer significant savings.

With you not having your flight plans, I do suggest you go to Anchorage, get a round trip car rental- far cheaper than the one way Fairbanks option, then plan on touring Denali Park and Seward. I would skip Fairbanks. Definately head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are especially good. Read up on interior Alaska areas, and decide what are YOUR interests.

I really do think, that with your current cruisetour- it is not a good choice, overall for a young family. If you can manage 5 days, you would definately have the option for some excellent touring adventures, if you wish.

DH and I and friends will be at Denali PW on 23 Aug and we have upgraded to the TWT. Does anyone know if they stop for a meal. My brother and I are both diabetics and need to know if we need to take food with us.

Absolutely you need to be WELL prepared with your "food" your entire trip. Always have double what you think you'll need with you. In no way- is it a "meal" what you get on the TWT, so again, take care of yourself and don't count on anything else.

DH and I and friends will be at Denali PW on 23 Aug and we have upgraded to the TWT. Does anyone know if they stop for a meal. My brother and I are both diabetics and need to know if we need to take food with us.

We loved the TWT and I feel you've made a great decision by upgrading to the TWT. My husband and our friend are both diabetic and were very glad we took additional food with us. We stopped at Subway (a short walk from the Princess Lodge where you get on the bus) and picked up subs. Our friend who is insulin dependent actually took a full sub and ate 1/2 part way thru the tour; then later on ate the 2nd half. You can get the combo with a bottled drink and as I remember chips too.

Actually I recomend everyone might want to consider taking along a sack lunch. The length of the tour is 6 to 8 hours and usually 8 hours.

Excellent recommendation. I too am diabetic and will need to bring food "just in case". This tour will be after our cruise and I am certain I will be used to having a full stomach and will be a few pounds heavier!

Marion

Actually, we will be staying in Denali for 2 nights before we arrive in Copper River. I read that there is a jet boat ride that sounds like fun. Also, the Copper Center Roadhouse Lodge sounds like a good place to go for lunch. We want to fill up on delicious wild salmon. Is that a good restaurant to have salmon?

In Copper River I just booked the Jet Boat Ride up the Klutina River

Search Full Curl Alaska in Google for details

When we arrive in Denali we are going ATV at night (Daylight for 21 Hours)

For us this will be in July

Jazzyman

Good posts. Hi Christee! :) We have 2 days at Kenai PWL. Is that in an area where there are things to do? We have no planned tours for there.

UNLESS you have a car, there is little to do at the Kenai Princess Lodge. Lovely place and great scenery. But it is a 2+ mile walk just to get to the other side of the river, where there is a restaurant/grocery store, etc. Princess does offer a shuttle into Seward, but it is not free (and it is an hour drive).

Is there a particular reason you are spending 2 days at the Kenai Princess???

We spend a lot of time in the area. There are truly MUCH better places to stay (if for no other reason than they are on the other side of the river).

You will spend a lot of extra time and money, unless you just sit at the Kenai Princess and enjoy the scenery.

This thread has been sooooo helpful! Just one quick question....does anyone have a restaurant recommendation for lunch in Talkeetna on a Sunday? We'll be driving through on our way to the McKinley Princess...just one night....ship the next day.

It's part of our tour package. We have been to Denali. Figured there must be a tour of the Kenai Peninsula if we stayed there. We already have done that as well but it was a very short visit.

"Figured must be a tour"?? It probably would have benefited you, if you found out about what was available before you booked. The lodge only shuttles to Seward. plenty to see and do. Where did you go before??? Perhaps, look for something different? http://www.seward.com

Archived