Any Kindle users on Regent?

tombo

I recently bought a Kindle 2, the electronic reader from Amazon.com. In the U.S., the device automatically downloads content (books and periodicals) from Amazon.com via its built-in cell phone connection on the Sprint network. Amazon states that the wireless delivery is only available in the U.S. as of now, but I'm wondering if it will work aboard cruise ships via the Wireless Maritime Service and its roaming agreement with Sprint. Amazon says it will work automatically anywhere Sprint 3G service is available.

Before my next cruise I'll definitely pre-load a few books to read, but it would be nice to be able to receive the daily newpapers wirelessly. Does anyone know anything about this?

The Kindle will not download on any cruise ship. BTW, you will love the Kindle. I like it better than Sony's eReader. I subscribe to the Chicago Tribune on the Kindle and I could not download the paper when on Crystal, RCI or Celebrity.

I haven't taken my Kindle on Regent yet, but on HAL in the Caribbean there was no Sprint signal. I think if I'd gotten off the ship in San Juan I might have had luck, but it was pouring rain that day so we stayed on the Eurodam. I LOVE having my Kindle on cruises - I just preload it with all I could possibly want to read and I onlly have that little thing to lug rather than a pile of books and magazines. You won't get your daily newspaper or other subscriptions that have to download directly to your kindle, but if you are signed up for ship's internet, and you bring your USB cord, you can pick them up that way pretty quickly and efficiently. You can also buy on Amazon that way of course, but it makes more sense to do that pre-cruise IMO...

• 1 year later...

having owned a Kindle for a year--some tips:

--subscribe to the Kindle Daily nation for 99 cents a month--most timely information about Kindles in general and almost daily updates on what free books are available

--absolutely get a good cover for your Kindle (have dropped my kindle a few times, the cover protects your kindle). love the leather covers by:

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle.php

--get a second year extended warranty (in event you drop your kindle and it breaks after the first yr (amazon svc warranty covers). we like Squaretrade warranty vs Kindle (recommended on the Kindle Boards)

--be on the look out for credit card promotional deals (via Flyer Talk, Kindle boards) we got our second kindle for $60 (Visa Signature card annual fee)

--Kindles work in over 100 countries but there is download fee when downloading in an overseas country--try to download your books prior to your voyage.

we do not mind paying the $4.99 weekly download fee to have access the to daily International Herald Tribune at many of the ports we stop at.

In order to download via cellphone you need to have the international version of the Kindle 2 or the new Kindle 3 with the 3G enabled. If you have the Kindle 3, you can also download using Wi-Fi.

Last April I subscribed to the Kindle edition of the New York Times prior to leaving on a cruise. I was not able to download the daily papers to my Kindle (I had the early, non-international Kindle 2), nor would it permit me to download to my PC for uploading via USB cable. I did have the Kindle for PC app on my PC and was able to read the paper on my PC, but not on my Kindle device.

Colonel Wes - really love that link to the kindle covers! - must remember to order when my kindle arrives! -

a question for all - which kindle is better suited for use primarily in Canada? - the 3G + wi-fi or just the wi-fi model? - (i am almost totally clueless when it comes to figuring out these sorts of things! - once i get using, i'm ok)

thanks for any help and explanations! -

janis

Colonel Wes - really love that link to the kindle covers! - must remember to order when my kindle arrives! -

a question for all - which kindle is better suited for use primarily in Canada? - the 3G + wi-fi or just the wi-fi model? - (i am almost totally clueless when it comes to figuring out these sorts of things! - once i get using, i'm ok)

thanks for any help and explanations! -

janis

I'm in Calgary, and I just bought 2 of the new Kindle 3's, the 3G+wifi (being shipped and registered to my Arizona address, as we're going down there this weekend). I think the difference is that with the wi-fi only model, you need to be near a wireless Internet 'hot spot', but with the 3G you can get access from anywhere. If you are downloading to a machine registered to a Canadian address, I believe you will pay an extra downlod fee - at least that's my understanding. I plan to do most of my downloading while in the US to avoid as many of those fees as possible.

Just to clarify, I believe that even with my Kindles registered to a US account, if I am physically in Canada (or anywhere else) when I download, I will pay an extra download fee. I think I read on these boards that it's $4.95.

Just to clarify, I believe that even with my Kindles registered to a US account, if I am physically in Canada (or anywhere else) when I download, I will pay an extra download fee. I think I read on these boards that it's $4.95.

Currently in Canada and have had no extra charges. We do, however, download to our computer first.

This is all very confusing. I called Kindle support about international downloading fees on my Kindle 3. I was told that you can download books wirelessly from outside the US without an extra charge. However, periodicals, blogs or personal files do incur an extra charge. Here's what the support website says:

International Service Fees for U.S. Customers

Kindle customers from the United States can travel internationally and still get books in less than 60 seconds. Customers have the option to wirelessly receive periodicals and personal documents for a fee, or transfer files from their computer for free.

• International Subscription Service: Receive all of your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscription content wirelessly for a weekly fee of $4.99.
  • International Personal Document Service: Transfer personal documents to your Kindle wirelessly for $.99 per megabyte (rounded up to the next whole megabyte).

Dave

We were recently in Venice and later in Istanbul. Kindle would not down load in either of those places. Is there something else we have to do? The Kindle model is D00701. Tom

The Kindle 3's were just released (assuming that is what you have?) Amazon.com has a lot of information on these new units on their website. They also have forums where you can ask questions. While I am sure that DaveFr has accurate information for his Kindle, he did not indicate whether or not he has the newest version that was released last month. The Kindle forum is designed to answer user questions. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/forum/Fx1D7SY3BVSESG/-/1

Archived