Paying to upgrade at pier

katt1

I have a question...all your luggage is labeled with your old cabin number on it, and is usually dropped off outside before you actually check in...., do you keep it with you until you are told whether or not you are getting an upgrade? If not, do they just drop it at the old room and YOU have to move it to your new one?

I have a question...all your luggage is labeled with your old cabin number on it, and is usually dropped off outside before you actually check in...., do you keep it with you until you are told whether or not you are getting an upgrade? If not, do they just drop it at the old room and YOU have to move it to your new one?

From what I have read on this board, Yes it's delivered to your original room and you have to go get it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
I do realize this is an old thread but has anyone tried upgrading at the pier these days? (and yes I have been watching, I know that all the ships are not sailing full)

I was just curious as I know our sailing is not full either.

E..

Someone recently posted that they upgraded at the San Juan pier on Adventure.

It was us that upgraded at the pier 3 weeks ago. It was Adventure but the port was Malaga in Spain. There was a big choice of suites and the prices were the same as posted earlier in the thread.

I don't know why they offered this as it seems that on most ships nowadays they give the C and A upgrades a few days before sailing, on this cruise about 3/4 of the suites were still empty a couple of days before sailing, maybe they were hoping to make some money rather than give them away!

Julie

We were recently on the Brilliance (Sept.) out of Barcelona and were able to upgrade from a D1 to a GS for $400 & felt we got a great deal. We asked at the pier, was told that the ship was full, but our names would be put on a list. We got a call from Guest Relations that evening just as we were unpacking. When we saw the cabin, we quickly made the decision to move. It turned out to be a wonderful decision & will be hard to go back to a regular balcony cabin.

It was us that upgraded at the pier 3 weeks ago. It was Adventure but the port was Malaga in Spain. There was a big choice of suites and the prices were the same as posted earlier in the thread.

I don't know why they offered this as it seems that on most ships nowadays they give the C and A upgrades a few days before sailing, on this cruise about 3/4 of the suites were still empty a couple of days before sailing, maybe they were hoping to make some money rather than give them away!

Julie

There probably weren't enough Diamond/Diamond Plus members onboard to fill all the suites on upgrades. Plus they only give them to people who booked balconies, so if the D/D+ were in oceanview or insides they wouldn't have been eligible to get a suite. So you got lucky!:)

There probably weren't enough Diamond/Diamond Plus members onboard to fill all the suites on upgrades. Plus they only give them to people who booked balconies, so if the D/D+ were in oceanview or insides they wouldn't have been eligible to get a suite. So you got lucky!:)

Jean,

No one had been upgraded . We ourselves are diamond and in a balcony and we also talked to the most cruised couple on the ship, they too were in a balcony and had not been upgraded.

You're right though we did get lucky, I'd much rather have the chance to pay $400 for an OS, than wait to see if C and A 'might' upgrade us;)

Julie

From what I'm told (when I've asked RC), they don't always upgrade the Diamond folks this was why I posted the question. I had a friend who sailed back in the late part of summer. She said they were selling upgrades near the check in counter as well. I'm certainly going to check it out (if I don't forget) when I sail in December.

:D

• 7 months later...

Julie

Hi there , we are going from Malaga this Nov, how much was the upgrade? would love to do this for our wedding anniversary! I didn't know this was possible at all!

I am going on a western mediterranean cruise on Liberty of the seas and I have an oceanview cabin port side way in the front. When I asked my travel agent how much to upgrade to a balcony, she told me $1200 for both of us! Should I even try to contact the pier coordinator to find out if I can get it cheaper?

I have a D1 balcony in May 2011 on the allure, how much for this ship would there be an upgrade for a JS or Grand Suite, from the previous posts w/ the price list, is just says balcony to suite, but on the oasis and allure you have different levels? What are the chances if ship isn't full on those dates can i get an upgrade. So it's about 400.00 from balcony to suite?

I am going on a western mediterranean cruise on Liberty of the seas and I have an oceanview cabin port side way in the front. When I asked my travel agent how much to upgrade to a balcony, she told me $1200 for both of us! Should I even try to contact the pier coordinator to find out if I can get it cheaper?

IF after you check in for your cruise at the port and you THEN go to the pier coordinator and IF there are still available balconies, yes, you can get it cheaper than $1,200 (more like $400). But, there are a couple of real big "if's" here. You do not contact the pier coordinator in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't believe Pier Coordinator upgrades are even available anymore effective last year.

Can someone confirm this, we are leaving in less then a week for our cruise, and we are hoping that we will be able to do this. So, can anyone confirm that they no longer give out upgrades at the pier? Thanks in advance.

Can someone confirm this, we are leaving in less then a week for our cruise, and we are hoping that we will be able to do this. So, can anyone confirm that they no longer give out upgrades at the pier? Thanks in advance.

We upgraded at the Pier Coordinator's desk last December for the Holiday Explorer cruise; we figured they would be doing this since 600 people were snowed in at Heathrow in London.

The upgrades are not free but are much cheaper then booking the more expensive cabin ahead of time.

After checking in and getting your SeaPass cards, ask to be taken to the Pier Coordinator's desk. They sell the upgrades.

Archived