Is the Vista Class really a derivative of Carnival's Spirit Class?

CarnivalPride

I sincerely doubt she'll ever see that title...

Whether or not Camilla accepts the title of Queen is neither here nor there. Being married to the King makes her Queen by right even though Princess Consort has been concocted as the title she is satisfied with.

I still think a ship should be named after Queen Elizabeth II, especially when they get her to christen it like the Queen Mary. What an insult not giving her a name on a ship.

I would propose one of the earlier, and arguably more authentic, British Queens: Boudicca, who wiped out one Roman legion (the IX), destroyed the temple of Claudius at Camulodum (Colchester), and sacked Londinium (London) before her band was hunted down by three additional legions. Or, for a somewhat less aggressive feminist, Eleanor of Acquitaine - wife of Henry II and mother of Richard I.

OK, so how 'bout Robert, the Bruce?;)

Boudicca is already currently taken as a name by a ship of the Fred Olsen Line - and in any case, she wasn't really English (there was no England back then) but of a Welsh tribe...

...and I'd personally rather see another Aquitania than a Queen Eleanor.

The thread was talking about British queens, not English -- as Boudicca is taken. perhaps the prettier alternate: Boadicea, would work. Of course, Queen Catherine, for Henry VIII's first wife, might be a heretofore unused name.

A few years ago, we were on the Oosterdam, docked next to a Crnival ship. One of the officers told us that both ships had the same hull, but the Carnival ship had 800 more cabins!

The ships are built from the same hull design. The Spirit is 85,920 tons and contains 1062 cabins. The Oosterdam is 81,769 tons and contains 924 cabins.

The space ratio on the Oosterdam is 43.6. The space ratio on the Spirit is 40.4.

Carnival owns both Carnival and HAL.

Oh boy, and we get to share pictures ...

The Queen Mary (its not based on the Spirit hull, but I'm posting it anyway) ...

A-Port-125.jpg

The Carnival Pride in Cabo Bay ...

PrideinCabo.jpg

The Carnival Miracle ...

Carnival-Miracle.jpg

The Carnival Legend ...

legend.jpg

The Carnival Pride ...

Pride-OH.jpg

The Carnival Spirit ...

Spirit.jpg

The Crystal Crown ...

IMG_4635.jpg

Hal Oosterdam docked in San Diego ...

Oosterdam-stretch.jpg

The Carnival Spirit in Acapulco, waiting for yours truly (and the ship I am standing on) to get out of the way ...

IMG_3760m.jpg

The Carnival Pride in Cabo Bay ...

A1-IMG_0911.jpg

The Carnival Pride in Cabo Bay, cut and pasted onto a sunset photo ...

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

When the NOORDAM---The last of the Vista ships---came out, she was a little different than the other three. A couple of summers ago, they took the Westerdam in and took the back end of so that she was just like the Noordam. Last Summer they did the same thing to the Zuiderdam and now the Oosterdam is in Europe and going into Drydock to have the same thing done to her. The result will each of the ships will see an increase in capacity to what the Noordam had coming out of the ship yards. Originally the Vista class ships had a pax capacity of 1848. They are around 200 more and that will happen to the Oosterdam in the next few weeks.

By the way I enjoyed the pictures of all the ships in the Carnival "Family" of ships.

Archived