Would you spend 37k in a PS on a 14 night cruise for 5 pax?

We are booked on the Indy on her 25 April cruising (Med). We are currently booked in a category FS (Royal Family Suite) which costs us about 16k for the 5 of us. That's perfectly fine, this breaks down to 1600 per person per week which is ok for a med cruise, I think.

We just saw that RCL has opened booking on all suites, so there is no minimum of guests required to book the Presidental Family Suite. So far, so good. The PS would cost us 37000... :eek:

Would you go for it, considering it's you mother-in-law's birthday (she turns 60 while on the cruise) and your 5th wedding anniversary? Is there a chaper way to get this suite? I guess it's not an option to book it for two and put the other three in an inside stateroom (theoretically) and let them stay "illegally" in the PS... :p (would still cost us about 31k...)

Any opinion is appreciated!

We are booked on the Indy on her 25 April cruising (Med). We are currently booked in a category FS (Royal Family Suite) which costs us about 16k for the 5 of us. That's perfectly fine, this breaks down to 1600 per person per week which is ok for a med cruise, I think.

We just saw that RCL has opened booking on all suites, so there is no minimum of guests required to book the Presidental Family Suite. So far, so good. The PS would cost us 37000... :eek:

Would you go for it, considering it's you mother-in-law's birthday (she turns 60 while on the cruise) and your 5th wedding anniversary? Is there a chaper way to get this suite? I guess it's not an option to book it for two and put the other three in an inside stateroom (theoretically) and let them stay "illegally" in the PS... :p (would still cost us about 31k...)

Only you can decide if it's worth it, for you, given your circumstances.

I have one friend who would drive an extra 120 miles to O'Hare to save $100 on tickets - it probably wouldn't be worth it to him.

I have another one who recently took a private jet to California because if he flew commercial he would have to stay overnight - it probably would be worth it to him.

Personally, if I were going to spend $37K on a cruise for five people, I would not be an issue because I would not be anywhere near a mass market cruise line like Royal Caribbean.

Goodness. What a question.

Personally I don't have that kind of money but I do understand the concept of a holiday of a lifetime. I would love to be able to do that kind of trip and am planning something on a much MUCH smaller scale for my own 60th.

You are a wonderful SIL. Go for it. Life's too short.

I would keep the suite you have, and if you want to spend the extra money, buy a nice dinner in Rome and during dinner tell your MIL that you bought her a car for her 60th.

Or else tell them all you are having so much fun you are booking another cruise onboard for next year. That is just too much of a price difference for 5 people.

when we were on Indy last October we had originally booked an owners suite (for 4 of us, - 2 adults , 2 kids) 2 weeks before the cruise we noticed like you, that other options had opened up and we upgraded ourselves to a Royal Fmaily Suite, so we were incredibly happy, knowing that the children wouldn't have to share a room with us etc etc. When we arrived at the pier, we had been further upgraded at no additional cost to the presidential suite. It IS an amazing suite of rooms, but so incredibly expensive. The chances are no one else will be prepared to pay that amount either, so you might just get lucky. If they are upgrading,t hey will possibly look to the next catagory down, such as they did with us.

Have you let the powers that be know that you have a special birthday and an anniversary whilst you are onboard?

Thank you all for your opinions!

@ lizbug: How can I let RCCL know that we are celebrating two special occasions while on board? Given the price of the PS there is some chance it will still be available in 4 weeks... :D

At what time did you arrive at the pier when you got your upgrade? Unfortunately we won't be among the first passengers to check in because we have to fly into London and transfer by car to Southampton first... :confused:

I dunno, I doubt I would spend the extra for the space on a Med cruise, when we were there it was so port intensive we didn't spend an enormous time in our cabin. I even doubt I'd want to share an FS with my family, I think I'd rather have the privacy of my own cabin, even if it is smaller than the FS. There is such a thing as too much togetherness.

It's your money to spend as you see fit, so if you want this cabin it's totally up to you :)

If I had $40,000 to spend on a 2 week vacation, I would be looking long and hard at ALL of the options that are available and a cruise with RCI would not likely be at the top of the list.

While its only a guess on my part, I suspect you could have a really nice land vacation for $40,000.

No. But, I'm not in a position to be able to do so anyway.

The way I look at vacations is cost vs benefit. Think about the memories you will make, the relaxing with people that you're probably usually too busy to totally unwind with. Think what it will mean to the others joining you. Commemmorating (sp?) special occasions in special ways almost guarantees memories that will last a lifetime for all present.

Does that make it worth it?

From looking at the Med cruises, they seems to be very port intensive. If I was spending that kind of cash, I'd want to ne able to use the suite as much as possible, and not just to crash in.

Only you can decide if the money is worth it.

For $40,000 I could take ALOT of vacations!

I think that everyone have different values, when it comes to how they are going to spend their money.

It sounds like it is a whole family get together. It's interesting that they would ask the board how to spend their money.

We know what we want, and it's nobodys business but our own, as to what cabin catagory we are in, or how we are going to spend our money. I used to argue with my brother, who was a die hard Crystal Cruise fan, that enjoyed everything about that line. He would book their samller suites, (like a JS on Royal Caribbean). I would argue with him that for the same amount of money my DW and I were able to book an OS and enjoy the extra room.

Everyone has to make up their own mind as to how they are going to spend their money.

Rick

If five people can be comfortable in the RFS (are there 2 bathrooms?) I'd stick with that. You're talking about an increase of TWENTY-ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for 2 weeks, after which you'll come home and have nothing to show for it but pictures and memories (unlike a car that you can buy for $21,000).

I'd 1. look at prices for regular rooms on a much more extravagant line like Regent or Seabourn and consider those because the pampering will be outrageous, or B) Stick with what I have and really go mad with great excursions and great food while on land.

As someone said above, if this is a port-intensive cruise, you won't be in the cabin that much anyway. Not $21,000 worth! :)

Let us know what you decide.

Would love to be in your position to have the dilema of spending 40K on a holiday... I like RCI as it fits our price category and needs in very nice surroundings. If I had the kind of money you speak of I would be on a more exclusive line. The food is fine on RCI, but you will see no extra difference for the extra your are paying here and I think some of the more upmarket lines would differentiate more on service and food.

I dunno, I doubt I would spend the extra for the space on a Med cruise, when we were there it was so port intensive we didn't spend an enormous time in our cabin. I even doubt I'd want to share an FS with my family, I think I'd rather have the privacy of my own cabin, even if it is smaller than the FS. There is such a thing as too much togetherness.

It's your money to spend as you see fit, so if you want this cabin it's totally up to you :)

Ditto- with Europe being so port intensive, you'rehardly ever in cabin anyway, except to crash after the long day. We are Diamond, and 'normally' book a Junior or even Grand Suite for the two of us, except in Europe, where we book an aft balcony for just that reason(will be in 9690 on VOS in September W.Med). What you're talking about works out to $528+/pp per night, and I don't care how financially comfortable anybody is- that's crazy. Could put that money to a lot of other things to do with a fairly basic cruise. Just IMHO. Whatever you decide, enjoy.

Jinjo

Enjoy yourself! You only live once! So long as you are not going into debt to pay for the trip GO BIG or STAY HOME! Take the PFS.

If I could drop that kind of coin on a trip I'd do it in a second. Unfortuately I am going to have to stick to the Grand Suite.

Jason

Hi jinjo75,

We are on the same holiday as you and I wont tell you how much we paid as that would not be fair however there is no way on this earth that I would consider spending 30-40k on a holiday when the only real diffrence is the room you sleep and relax in even if I was a millionaire I just couldent justify that ammount of money :eek:

I have never seen a (Royal Family Suite) therfore if you want to show off I would love to see your room :)

Look forward to meeting you on the M&M and hope you have a great holiday.

Nigel & Rob

If I were spending that much on a cruise I'd dump the rest of the family and take the wife on a 107 day world cruise on Princess...last offer I saw was $30K for the both of us in an obstructed view cabin with a good chance of upgrade to a balcony, tips included. A European cruise is all about the ports, the ship and accommodations are secondary.

I wish I had that problem!

If I had 40K to spend... I think I would take a nice cruise in a X Millennium class FV cabin to someplace warm (Panama Canal sounds good) and then use the rest to pay down the mortgage!

Or if I was just going to spend it, it'd be on a luxury line for sure. Maybe a Silver Suite on Silversea.

But seriously? I couldn't do it. Over 20K more for a bigger room on the same cruise? 20K is a lot of money. Heck, you could do the original cruise twice! Is more space worth that much to you?

Not this guy. "$37K booking" and "Royal Caribbean" should not be used in the same sentence, in my opinion.

Put it this way, the Garden Villas on NCL's Gem Class ships make RCI's Presidential Family Suites look like a walk-in closet, and they'd probably cost a great deal less to boot. Sure, they may have a Vegas high-roller-suite vibe to them, but they're actually damn nice.

Jinjo,

My family is in an FS (8414) for the transatlantic crossing - that would be funny if we are in your cabin just prior! It would also be fine if we were to be upgraded to the Presidential Family Suite...doubtful, but nice!

We got an amazing deal for the 14 day TA crossing, but we don't get to go to the mediterranean like you do...that will be incredible!

Bon Voyage and good luck wtih a possible upgrade...just remember many people would consider the FS the cabin of a lifetime! We are blessed.

Archived