Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Good imput Paul!! If riding on the Washington State Ferry system would count.....

On my last Majesty cruise, there was a couple from Fisher Island (the island that ferry goes to in the Port of Miami) that cruised over 100 times on that ship alone. They knew all the crew by name and even paid for the wedding of one of the crewmembers. These people cruise on that ship every couple of weeks.

Oh crap. Rick, it wasn't until I read your response that I saw how badly I worded my post!

I was only mentioning the Fisher Island ferry in the Port of Miami to describe where these people lived....in order to show how close they live to the port.

I meant that this couple has cruised on the Majesty of the Seas over 100 times.

I must say that this has been a very interesting thread to keep up with and I have certainly heard many opinions. I must be honest before I begin. I am only Platinum status and just reached that after our Independence cruise this past December. Our friends that we travel with are Diamond members but I am not going to share their opinions here as that it up to them to do. The loss of perks does not concern me because I have never cruised for that reason. On our first and second cruises we were in Promenade cabins and we loved it. It was a room with a view. We then experienced our first balcony cabin and haven't looked at any other category since. I love all the amenities of the individual ships but I absolutely treasure sitting outside on my balcony and seeing nothing but the water and the fresh smell of the air. No parking lots. No cell phone and I think you get the idea. To me that is cruising and relaxation. Food? Not always great, but I didn't cook it. Messy room? I don't have to clean it. So for seven days it is the perfect vacation for me. No, you can keep your perks, it is okay with me. The reason I will start cruising more with other lines after Oasis is simply because I own stock in RCL for the purpose of getting onboard credit and because I have purchased two Next cruise certificates again for onboard credit and I now get a balcony discount because I am Platinum and they are all worthless since you can no longer combine anything. I am giving up my next cruise credit and my stock credit just to lower the upfront price of the cruise by taking my Platinum balcony discount. I have learned my lesson. I will sell my stock when it makes a little money and I will forfeit my second next cruise and not buy into any more of their gimmicks leaving them with nothing to take away. I will still sail with RCL along with other lines and I will enjoy my balcony on them all. I can buy a drink in any bar.

I have to ask this, not trying to be a smart __ss. The internet TA I used has a new promo going for RCL starting at $50 off for 4 & 5 days up to $200 max. on the longer sailings. So far, so good. The next "goodie" is a free spa treatment. Don't know if this is from the TA because RCL bookings are down or from RCL directly. If it is from the TA, business with RCL MUST really be bad!

If RCL keeps making cuts, they will cut themselves right out of the cruise market. Empty cabins bring in no revenues.

In the past, Princess sent out luggage sets to some of their passengers to get them to book again. What has RCL really done for their passengers other than to institute changes to the benefits that make them less appealing as a cruise option. Their pricing does not fit in with their competition. Their pricing is more in line with Silver Sea, Crystal, Seaborn but without the niceties.

Who at RCL is making these decisions? Stockholders, this is not to your benefit! You have a louder voice than anyone else. If you are not happy, let RCL know.

MARAPRINCE

I must say that this has been a very interesting thread to keep up with and I have certainly heard many opinions. I must be honest before I begin. I am only Platinum status and just reached that after our Independence cruise this past December. Our friends that we travel with are Diamond members but I am not going to share their opinions here as that it up to them to do. The loss of perks does not concern me because I have never cruised for that reason. On our first and second cruises we were in Promenade cabins and we loved it. It was a room with a view. We then experienced our first balcony cabin and haven't looked at any other category since. I love all the amenities of the individual ships but I absolutely treasure sitting outside on my balcony and seeing nothing but the water and the fresh smell of the air. No parking lots. No cell phone and I think you get the idea. To me that is cruising and relaxation. Food? Not always great, but I didn't cook it. Messy room? I don't have to clean it. So for seven days it is the perfect vacation for me. No, you can keep your perks, it is okay with me. The reason I will start cruising more with other lines after Oasis is simply because I own stock in RCL for the purpose of getting onboard credit and because I have purchased two Next cruise certificates again for onboard credit and I now get a balcony discount because I am Platinum and they are all worthless since you can no longer combine anything. I am giving up my next cruise credit and my stock credit just to lower the upfront price of the cruise by taking my Platinum balcony discount. I have learned my lesson. I will sell my stock when it makes a little money and I will forfeit my second next cruise and not buy into any more of their gimmicks leaving them with nothing to take away. I will still sail with RCL along with other lines and I will enjoy my balcony on them all. I can buy a drink in any bar.

I am no Next cruise expert, but isn't it still good for $100 towards your deposit. IE use it for the money. Not the extra.

jc

..........................Who at RCL is making these decisions? Stockholders, this is not to your benefit! You have a louder voice than anyone else. If you are not happy, let RCL know.

MARAPRINCE

Well, first of all, RCCL pricing is NOWHERE near Seabourn, Silversea etc. Most families wouldn't want to be on those anyway and will pay large sums of money for their families to be on suitable ships during school hols. Outside of that time, RCCL is MUCH cheaper.

Secondly, I am a stockholder, which is why I am posting on here - so the Company's side can be heard (hopefully, I am interpreting the Corporate actions and reasoning correctly). No, I am not a plant and yes I do sympathise - its horrible losing something you like - but that's life. When you were born, no-one promised you life would be fair.

And as a stockholder, I support them in cost-cutting in this deep recession. Their loyalty is to the Company and their stockholders, not to individual cruisers. These are not normal times guys. The good times are gone for the time being!!

And don't bother taunting me that, as a Plusser, my time will come to be banned from the CL. I am fully aware of that, which is why I am now aiming to be a Koh-I-Noor!! I invented the word 'plusser' and hopefully I can become a Koh-I-Noor, next level up from Plusser.

We cruised Celebrity very happily for years, without a Concierge Lounge or free drinks and can do so again!! But probably not on RCCL - the fun overwhelms us sometimes, which is when we vanish to the Lounge!! But then, we are two old f****s!!

On my last Majesty cruise, there was a couple from Fisher Island (the island that ferry goes to in the Port of Miami) that cruised over 100 times on that ship alone. They knew all the crew by name and even paid for the wedding of one of the crewmembers. These people cruise on that ship every couple of weeks.

Got it Paul! Thanks for the explanation.........I truly did not pick up on the Majesty!! There are a few friends here on the West Coast that pretty much did the same on the Monarch.

Was the Majesty doing the 3 day/ 4 day run??

Rick

I doubt they track who owns stock and who doesn't. If you used a stockholder credit some time ago, it does not mean you still own stock. Big difference between a customer database and an owner database.

Yes they do track You need to send in a current proof of ownership. Just did that for upcoming cruise.

Serious question, not meaning to inflame:

how would grandfathering in the Diamonds help anything, if the true problem is overcrowding?

Yes, it would make Diamonds happier, but would not solve the problem. If the concierge is overwhelmed with ticket requests, etc., due to volume of people allowed to make requests, grandfathering does not alleviate that problem.

Secondly, I am a stockholder, which is why I am posting on here - so the Company's side can be heard (hopefully, I am interpreting the Corporate actions and reasoning correctly). No, I am not a plant and yes I do sympathise - its horrible losing something you like - but that's life. When you were born, no-one promised you life would be fair.

And as a stockholder, I support them in cost-cutting in this deep recession. Their loyalty is to the Company and their stockholders, not to individual cruisers. These are not normal times guys. The good times are gone for the time being!!

But remember the reason given by C&A had nothing to do with the economy:

Due to limited capacity, the Concierge Lounge has not been able to accommodate our growing membership, challenging our ability to provide the optimum experience for our guests. Therefore the Concierge Lounge will now be accessible to our suite and Diamond Plus guests only.

I do find this whole thread interesting... I have been watching it for days which is the only other time I posted.

I hold our reservations online and didn't get the email while my husband did.

I understand the need for cuts. I do think RCCL's spin trying to make it appear as if they were treating us to something new and wonderful was a bad idea. The economy is down, people are losing jobs left and right and we all know companies are being hit hard right now.. honesty would have been a nice approach.

Feeling out for response to coming changes would have been a great time to use the Royal Champions for the purpose RCCL proclaimed to have created them as many of the RCs have contributed to the lists of other options (such as half price drinks to diamonds in all bars during happy hour) RCCL could have taken to limit the negative response yet their opinions were not sought on these changes so far as I have read. Makes one question the legitimacy of RCCL's purpose for having created the group as this situation cries for a test response group which they already had access to.

And finally... for those who are so upset about missing out on the concierge lounge on the smaller ships such as the Radiance class, at least you have an option to have a suite if you are willing to pay for the pleasure. As I expressed before, if you need to book a wheelchair accessible cabin you are out of luck in booking anything higher than a JS except for the new Oasis class. We just reached diamond on our last cruise and while we have access to a DL on the Freedom next time, the CL won't be an option for us for years on a Radiance class as that is what it will take for us to get to Plus. Everything is relative.. you think it's bad for you with all the changes but at least your still cruising with plenty of choices.

But remember the reason given by C&A had nothing to do with the economy:

Due to limited capacity, the Concierge Lounge has not been able to accommodate our growing membership, challenging our ability to provide the optimum experience for our guests. Therefore the Concierge Lounge will now be accessible to our suite and Diamond Plus guests only.

As far as I can see, its probably a combination. And cost-cutting is not something they are going to readily admit to. I think that primarily they want to reduce the crowds to encourage the revenue from suite guests and also encourage on-board spending!! By stopping the free drinks, they save a bit of money, but look at the revenue they will gain from the bar bills!!

I am not in contact with RCCL - I have no knowledge of their reasoning - and I am certainly not a plant!! Nor is Kewlguy - I know him well - not in the biblical sense, mind you!!:D

I worked on newspapers for years and know that large Corporations are rarely forthcoming - I doubt we will ever know the truth as to what exactly caused RCCL to take this step - which I am sure they were aware, would cause mayhem on here.

But they have done it. Princess have it right - supply a lounge, a few canapes and a pay bar. A special at half-price (big deal!). Possibly RCCL will go in that direction - but I wouldn't bet on it. Cheating will take place again!! Although it won't be so bad if gate-crashers pay for the drinks!!

Can't remember my status on Princess - must find out for when I am banned from the CL by RCCL!! Must be quite high up though - lots of cruiseys!!!

What has RCL really done for their passengers other than to institute changes to the benefits that make them less appealing as a cruise option.

MARAPRINCE

Now that is a very good question and one that the Company itself should address. Instead the President & CEO sends out letters (dated 3/26/09 and speaking about the Voyager of the Seas)) stating, "benefits only get better the more you sail".

So either the President & CEO of Royal Caribbean International doesn't know what is going on in his own Company or he is lying. I really don't know which is worse. But it certainly is a shame.

Now that is a very good question and one that the Company itself should address. Instead the President & CEO sends out letters (dated 3/26/09 and speaking about the Voyager of the Seas)) stating, "benefits only get better the more you sail".

So either the President & CEO of Royal Caribbean International doesn't know what is going on in his own Company or he is lying. I really don't know which is worse. But it certainly is a shame.

As the C&A program currently stands, do you not gain more benefits the more you cruise??? This one time decrease in certain perks does not change the system. More cruises translates to a higher level - Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Diamond Plus - and therefore greater benefits. I fail to see how he is lying. :rolleyes:

He's not lying ... you do get more benefits the more times you cruise. What he's actually being is simply "not entirely truthful".

..... you do get more benefits ... that we at RCCL can revoke at any time we feel is necessary to maintain our competative edge ... so don't get too used to them!

Whoa..The advertised price for a Grand Suite is $5,200 and for a Jr.Suits $4,200. CL for Grand & No CL for Jr. So all suites do not get CL..Just want to clear that up since I keep seeing Suites can still use a CL? I am only clarifying facts not making a statement.

Actually, its called "Public Relations":D:D

I once wrote to Princess with a valid complaint. We booked a balcony cabin and they spent all week on the balcony installing the sprinklers and closing off our balcony, which was at the end where the piping was coming up. They wrote back "So pleased to hear that you enjoyed your cruise". I just had to laugh!! That's big Corporations for you.

Seems to be worse in the US than in Europe I must say. When I complained about something unconnected with cruising, to a large Corporation in the US, they told me to stop complaining otherwise they would get their lawyers on to me and I would be bankrupt within months!! Very nice!!:eek:

He's not lying ... you do get more benefits the more times you cruise. What he's actually being is simply "not entirely truthful".

..... you do get more benefits ... that we at RCCL can revoke at any time we feel is necessary to maintain our competative edge ... so don't get too used to them!

What he's doing is not seeing into the future.

As the C&A program currently stands, do you not gain more benefits the more you cruise??? This one time decrease in certain perks does not change the system. More cruises translates to a higher level - Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Diamond Plus - and therefore greater benefits. I fail to see how he is lying. :rolleyes:

Well, the letter was personally addressed to my husband thanking us for sailing on the Voyager of the Seas. We sailed the Voyager over Thanksgiving (out of Barcelona) and over New Years Eve (out of Galveston). Living within driving distance of the port of Galveston I guess RCI wants us to sail the Voyager again & again.

So lets see...when we sailed the Voyager over Thanksgiving week we received the following:

Balcony discount on two cabins ($200x2)

Stockholder OBC for two cabins ($100x2)

4 Diamond Coupon Books

Appetizers left in cabin on several days (choc. covered strawberries, that sort of thing)

Use of the Concierge Services and the CL (all day and for pre-dinner drinks).

When we sailed on the Voyager over New Years Eve we received the following:

Balcony discounts on two cabins ($200x2)

Stockholder OBC for 3 cabins, one was an inside($100x3)

5 Diamond Coupon Books

Appetizers in cabin on select days

Use of the Concierge Services and the CL during the day and the overflow lounge for pre-dinner drinks

Now if (like I was planning to do) we were to sail on the Voyager over Christmas or New Years Eve in 2009 we would receive the following:

Balcony discount of $200 per balcony cabin or

stockholder OBC of $100 per cabin (NOT BOTH, they can no onger be combined)

4-5 Diamond Coupon Books of reduced value

and NOTHING ELSE!

So not only would we get reduced perks, we would get reduced discounts/OBC. My husband used the services of the concierge (Martin on both sailings) for his business, we received ice show tickets delivered to our room, Martin made reservations at Portofinos at the last minute one night when Portofinos told us they were full, etc, etc, etc. We rewarded Martin for his services and kindness to us.

Now if this was a "generic" letter I could see where he would be fudging the truth, but this was a letter addressed to my husband by name thanking us for sailing the Voyager of the Seas (and including a "gift" of coupons worthless to us as we can no longer combine).

So if Goldstein is not lying would you please explain how my "benefits will only be better" sailing on the Voyager of the Seas over the Holiday Season of 2009?

Because I would really appreciate hearing how my benefits would be better and if so I would book the Voyager for the holidays.

Colleen

Well, the letter was personally addressed to my husband thanking us for sailing on the Voyager of the Seas.

Now if this was a "generic" letter I could see where he would be fudging the truth, but this was a letter addressed to my husband by name thanking us for sailing the Voyager of the Seas (and including a "gift" of coupons worthless to us as we can no longer combine).

Mail merge is wonderful in giving generic mailings that personal touch.

So if Goldstein is not lying would you please explain how my "benefits will only be better" sailing on the Voyager of the Seas over the Holiday Season of 2009?

Because I would really appreciate hearing how my benefits would be better and if so I would book the Voyager for the holidays.

Colleen

As I prefaced in my post - as the program currently stands. I made no reference, as he didn't, to any systematic changes. The program's benefits increase as more cruises are taken.

Well, the letter was personally addressed to my husband thanking us for sailing on the Voyager of the Seas. We sailed the Voyager over Thanksgiving (out of Barcelona) and over New Years Eve (out of Galveston). Living within driving distance of the port of Galveston I guess RCI wants us to sail the Voyager again & again.

So lets see...when we sailed the Voyager over Thanksgiving week we received the following:

Balcony discount on two cabins ($200x2)

Stockholder OBC for two cabins ($100x2)

4 Diamond Coupon Books

Appetizers left in cabin on several days (choc. covered strawberries, that sort of thing)

Use of the Concierge Services and the CL (all day and for pre-dinner drinks).

When we sailed on the Voyager over New Years Eve we received the following:

Balcony discounts on two cabins ($200x2)

Stockholder OBC for 3 cabins, one was an inside($100x3)

5 Diamond Coupon Books

Appetizers in cabin on select days

Use of the Concierge Services and the CL during the day and the overflow lounge for pre-dinner drinks

Now if (like I was planning to do) we were to sail on the Voyager over Christmas or New Years Eve in 2009 we would receive the following:

Balcony discount of $200 per balcony cabin or

stockholder OBC of $100 per cabin (NOT BOTH, they can no onger be combined)

4-5 Diamond Coupon Books of reduced value

and NOTHING ELSE!

So not only would we get reduced perks, we would get reduced discounts/OBC. My husband used the services of the concierge (Martin on both sailings) for his business, we received ice show tickets delivered to our room, Martin made reservations at Portofinos at the last minute one night when Portofinos told us they were full, etc, etc, etc. We rewarded Martin for his services and kindness to us.

Colleen

Colleen i think these ae the welcome back letters

We'd like to welcome back are loyal customers - feel free to try our back to basics perks !!

Times are hard but we've got to keep the perks in the boardroom i do hope you'll understand.

jj........

My Daddy used to tell me that when it comes to dealing with your customers, it's much easier to change a NO to a YES, than it is to change a YES to a NO!

RCCL changed their YES to a NO when they revoked my access to the Concierge Lounge. Change my YES to a NO, and I say WHY NOT move my bookings to a line that shows me some respect?

:p

Archived