QUEBEC CITY: Going to spend couple days there before cruise in Sept and need advise.

JimVrhovac

We will be cruising on the Eurodam on its transition from Canada to FLorida. We are thinking about going up a couple days early and doing some touring in Quebec City.

Any advise on what to do or where to stay will be greatly appreciated...

Ruth & Jim

Check out Le Chateau Frontenac. We stayed there about two years ago and loved it. It's at the top of the funicular which you take to get down to the old city and the pier.At least, I did. I couldn't walk up and down all those steps. The old city has lovely stores, restaurants, etc. ALl the restaurants we tried were very good. We took a horse and buggy ride tour around Quebec and that was lots of fun. We went to a falls that was beautiful, but I'll have to go on line tomorrow and find out the name of it.

Hi Jim,

Ruth will find plenty of ways to spend money in Quebec! We were there last fall and loved it so much that we went back for a long weekend. Chateau Frontenac is the biggest luxury hotel in the city, there are other small botique hotels, but the Chauteau is centrally located and the most accessible. The horse drawn carriage rides will pick you up right in front, if you wanted to do that. The hotel itself has lots of upscale shopping, and there are many great restaurants within walking distance.

We are considering the Maasdam repositioning cruise in the fall (we did it last year). Would be nice to see you and Ruth on another cruise.

Joanne

#4 for Le Chateau! Classy place! QC is just a great town to stroll around, check out the old City, see the changing of the guard at the Citadelle, grab a bite in a restaurant, look at the folks and imagine you're in Paris. Don't forget to take a ride down (or up) in the funicular; go to the Ile d'Orleans, take a cable car ride to the top of Montmorency Falls. :)

We stayed at a lovely boutique hotel--Le Vieux Quebec. Attached restaurant highly reccommened. Breakfast is placed in a basket on a hook by your door. Less pricey than the Chateau, so more money for shopping.

The Fairmont Chateau Frontenac is certainly the best address in the Old Town; if not pricey. Lots of boutique hotels in the Old Town. A trip to Isle D'Orleans and Montmorency Falls is certainly worth it. Also a visit to the restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens.

I'm glad that restaurant is still there. We ate there over 10 years ago and still remember it.

The Chateau Frontenac is beautiful. At its base is a public boardwalk with magnificent views of the river.

Depending on your mobility, you can walk down a street that winds down the bluff that part of the city is on, and at one point there are stairs leading down past shops, etc.

You can also walk the boarwalk, with some climbing, to the "plaines d'Abraham", a park commemorating the famous battle.

The Chateau Frontenac is ideal - if a bit pricey. There are many small boutique hotels in the old city --whatever you choose, make sure it is in the old city -inside the walls; the new city is modern but dreary; in the old city you can walk everywhere - make sure you go down to the lower city along the river.

I recommend an independent hotel called Hotel des Coutellier in the lower town. It's on a street that has many art galleries and has a back entrance to the upper town bypassing the funicular or the steep climb by stairs. Each morning a breakfast hamper is hung from the door latch on the outside of your room so when you're ready for a continental breakfast it's available. Rates were quite reasonable. Additionally, the pier where the ships dock is a short walk from the hotel. Whatever you choose I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Inside the wall you can find little alley ways where local artists sell their paintings and whatnot. This is a great place to purchase smaller painting and sketches and fairly reasonable prices. I lived in Quebec City for a year when going to school (Universite Laval) and absolutely loved the place...would move back again if I had the chance. :)

One thing I did forget to mention is that Ruth has a mobility problem and uses a walker all the time and cannot walk long distances.

The city carriage ride sounds nice...

Anyone get a tour guide for the day and let them do the thinking????

Thank everyone for their rapid responses. It will give us a lot more to research now...

Ruth & Jim

By all means go and stay a few days. We went many times when we lived in the northeast and each time was a treat.

Chateau Frontenac is georgeous and pricey but well worth it, if it is in your budget.

Manoir Victoria is in the old city too, has some great two day packages that offer meals with the room and has an excellent restaurant for dinner in their packages.

be sure to tour the island of Il De Or ( spelling ??), it is especially beautiful in the Fall. also, outside the city is Morencey Falls, the St Anne De Beaupre shrine plus much to do in the city.

be sure to stay in the walled in city and you can walk to almost everywhere.

One of the things we miss most being out here in Arizona now were out trips to Quebec City.

JIm, I certainly hope you will visit Aux Anciens Canadiens. The food and the surroundings are great and authentic, and the prices were not out of sight. (At least when I was there in 2004). Across the street there is a museum dedicated to Eskimo and Native North American culture and art that is worth a visit. In the lower town there is another museum right beside the cruise ship dock, and it has a good gift shop as well.

There is also a very pricey restaurant whose name I have forgotten which serves a variety of wild game, including wild boar, moose, etc. Interesting experience but not one I'd do again.

Unfortunately, the old town has lots of high curbs and cobblestone streets so it is not easy to navigate in a wheelchair. The open carriage ride is a great idea if the weather is pleasant and a knowledgeable driver for a private tour will help you get to some of the attractions you might otherwise miss. Do ask for information in your hotel or from a private driver about the best way to visit the lower town. The funicular would easily get you there, but it might be tough going to navigate the area just at the lower end. Of course, accessibility might have been improved since 2004.

If I recall correctly, the Montmorency Falls best viewing is a 'far piece' from the parking lot, but there may be wheelchair access to the walkways that I did not notice.

Archived