For Those Who Followed the "Informal" Dress Code.

Ships R Great

Note: This will be for a Med cruise. We dress a bit more casual for Caribbean. :)

Dh will be wearing nice slacks (not khakis) and a button down collared shirt (some long sleeve - some short). Maybe a sport jacket some nights - some nights not. Depends on how cool it will be at night.

I will be wearing nice slacks with a top and jacket, or a few nights will be in "country club" type dresses. Will definately have a jacket or shawl or shrug as I freeze in the dining room.

We never did "casual" anyway, so we continue to do "informal"; that means jacket and tie for me and cocktail dress or dressy pantsuit for my better half. We don't do this often at home, as there aren't many places in a small town that call for it. It is one of the main reasons that we wanted to try cruising;the design and ambience of the main and specialty dining rooms on Celebrity ships, with dressed up patrons looking so elegant is one of the things we wanted to experience. We still do.

It is what we would wear to a nice restaurant.

It's not jeans and t-shirts or beach wear.

Some nights the guys have a sport jacket, other nights maybe a sweater, maybe a nice button-down shirt. No ties.

Some nights the ladies had a skirt and blouse, other nights a pair of good slacks and a jacket or a nice top.

We still dress according to the former "Informal" dresscode. It's basically how we dress if we're going to a nice restaurant at home...so why should it be that much different on a ship?

We also dress the same as informal - well at least I do. Hubby dresses as he did for casual nights - dress slacks, solid colored polo shirt, and sports jacket (he wore a suit for informal nights, tux for formal nights).

I don't wear a tie anymore as I did for Informal now for Smart Casual, but I do wear a sports jacket or a light 'casual' jacket with shirt/sweater. My wife wears nice pants suits - Chicos travelwear. I no longer take a Tux but a nice dark suit. Do wear the suit jacket with lighter slacks for casual to mix it up some or when go to specialty restaurant.

Denny

Ditto for us!:D

I guess there are a lot of us who still dress for informal dress code.

If we elect the less formal "smart casual," we drop the tie and jacket and simply wear a shirt and slacks. We feel free dress for dinner every night because folks are wearing ever manner of dress these days.

Please excuse my ignorance but, from this post and others I have read, it seems that Celebrity have changed their dress code. However, when I last checked on their website, nothing had changed - it was still formal, informal, casual. Have I been looking in the wrong place?

By the way, we are unlikely to change the way that we dress and will stick to "informal". We always went to the speciality restaurant on casual nights.

Sue

We still dress according to the former "Informal" dresscode. It's basically how we dress if we're going to a nice restaurant at home...so why should it be that much different on a ship?

We also dressed similar to when we dine at a nice restaurant at home. Nice Dress for myself, and dress shirts w/ slack (dress shoes) for my husband and 2 young sons.

Please excuse my ignorance but, from this post and others I have read, it seems that Celebrity have changed their dress code. However, when I last checked on their website, nothing had changed - it was still formal, informal, casual. Have I been looking in the wrong place?

Their current policy is here (available in the Onboard experience section)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000FiLzdjqA_Bl1DjVr3bKYvqt:12hdebdrn?pagename=proper_dining_attire

As shown there, there are two dress standards now, "Smart casual and above," and "Formal."

It's quite likely that there are still old references throughout the celebrity site e.g. old FAQs, or secondary sites, as I've seen that for other things.

Their current policy is here (available in the Onboard experience section)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000FiLzdjqA_Bl1DjVr3bKYvqt:12hdebdrn?pagename=proper_dining_attire

As shown there, there are two dress standards now, "Smart casual and above," and "Formal."

It's quite likely that there are still old references throughout the celebrity site e.g. old FAQs, or secondary sites, as I've seen that for other things.

Many thanks!

On relection, I think that I prefer this revised dress code. Like msny people who have posted on this thread, we love formal nights and would prefer to be "dressy" on all other evenings. The "... and above" description indicates to me that we should not feel out of place to do this.

Sue

Many thanks!

On relection, I think that I prefer this revised dress code. Like msny people who have posted on this thread, we love formal nights and would prefer to be "dressy" on all other evenings. The "... and above" description indicates to me that we should not feel out of place to do this.

Sue

You won't feel out of place. As others have stated, there are still many who prefer to follow the "informal" style of dress. No one, in my experience, be it staff or passengers, complain of people dressing well. ;)

Mary

Wow! Just what I hoped to hear. I did not know it read, "...and above". That should be an encouragement for folks to dress up a bit. I guess we will dress as we always have. Thanks, all, for the responses. And did you notice, no flaming or "it's my vacation, I'll dress as I like"?

Hi Joanie - hope you and George arrived home safely.

As Ma Bell said, we were on that cruise and were so pleasantly surprised to see how everyone stuck to the "smart casual" code. Even on formal nights most men wore tux's or dark suits. It was so nice watching everyone walk by. Those who didn't really, really looked out of place. We didn't see many who weren't in slacks and sports shirts on casual nights.

In fact, some wore jackets and ties most nights. In the specialty restaurant most were dressed according to the dress of the day but my DH and our friends did wear sports jackets, no ties.

I've only sailed on Royal Caribbean and I want to make sure I bring the right clothes.

My fiance usually wears polo shirts with slacks on the "casual" nights (which it seems Celebrity doesn't have, right?) So he should probably bring button down shirts, but no tie. He will wear a suit and tie on formal nights though.

I know there are no jeans allowed (and really, why would someone wear jeans in a nice restaurant? anyways), but how about a jean skirt? It's dark wash and knee length without tears. I also won't wear a tank top, but are sleeveless blouses okay?

I hate feeling under dressed even when we aren't wearing jeans, tank tops or flip flops.

One final question... we should stay in our dinner clothes through out the rest of the night right? We usually go back and change into more comfortable clothes for the lounges, shows, etc but if we should stay more dressed up that would be okay too.

I've only sailed on Royal Caribbean and I want to make sure I bring the right clothes.

My fiance usually wears polo shirts with slacks on the "casual" nights (which it seems Celebrity doesn't have, right?) So he should probably bring button down shirts, but no tie. He will wear a suit and tie on formal nights though.

I know there are no jeans allowed (and really, why would someone wear jeans in a nice restaurant? anyways), but how about a jean skirt? It's dark wash and knee length without tears. I also won't wear a tank top, but are sleeveless blouses okay?

I hate feeling under dressed even when we aren't wearing jeans, tank tops or flip flops.

One final question... we should stay in our dinner clothes through out the rest of the night right? We usually go back and change into more comfortable clothes for the lounges, shows, etc but if we should stay more dressed up that would be okay too.

This isn't intended to start a whole discussion, but...

We just received our documents for our upcoming transatlantic on the Solstice. There is NO mention of jeans anywhere in the information regarding dress. The only thing mentioned is "pants (no holes, rips or tears) and "T-shirts, swimsuites, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowd inthe main restuarant at any time." There is no restriction concerning jeans.

On a couple of nights, I plan to wear nice jeans with a long sleeved dress shirt and blazer, as I would to most restaurants in most major cities.

I am curious about the jeans thing also... all these reference to "nice restaurants" (ie: on land) are confusing... jeans, albeit dressed up, seem to be the staple everywhere. Having never been on Celebrity, and leaving this week, I'm very curious as to what I'll find the "average" cruiser to be wearing. We prefer not to get too dressed up, so we skip the MDR, but I'll be watching to see.

Well, since I still have more dressier evening clothes than not, I still pretty much dress informal on some of the nights that are Smart Casual. I'm not going to buy a new wardrobe and then I wouldn't get any use out of the clothes (or not much use) if I didn't bring them on the cruise with me.

Anne Maria

I am curious about the jeans thing also... all these reference to "nice restaurants" (ie: on land) are confusing... jeans, albeit dressed up, seem to be the staple everywhere. Having never been on Celebrity, and leaving this week, I'm very curious as to what I'll find the "average" cruiser to be wearing. We prefer not to get too dressed up, so we skip the MDR, but I'll be watching to see.

Having said all that about jeans, just for the record, I'll be wearing my tuxedo on formal nights.

Reading the description of "Smart Casual and Above" I too would assume that jeans are allowed.

Also, it only states no "flip-flops". Does this mean my wife may wear regular sandals with a skirt most nights?

By regular sandals, I mean nice dress sandals. I won't be wearing sandals myself.

Archived