Naughty Room on RCCL Ships?

NCL is famous for their "naughty room" on their ships where checked luggage, after scanning, suspected of containing prohbited items is sent. NCL does not open the luggage themselves, they ask owners to come to the naughty room to open the luggage for inspection. Many times, the suspect item turns out to something legit.

From reading the RCCL forums, no such room seems to exist on RCCL ships. If something of suspect is seen by the scanners, they open your luggage (without you present) and confiscate prohibited items, leaving a note inside that says such. What if the luggage has locks on it? Do they cut them off? These are not TSA personnel so they don't have TSA approved lock keys (one would hope). Would a suspected prohibited item have a better chance of making it through in locked luggage since RCCL doesn't seem to go the naughty room route?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)

DH had to report to the "Naughty Room" two weeks ago on the Adventure of the Seas. We had received all but one piece of luggage by the time we went to the diningroom on the first night. When we returned, the missing piece was still nowhere in sight. We suspected where it might be, but we were not contacted nor were we left a note of any kind. DH contacted the desk and was told to go down to deck 1, I believe. Yes, to the "Naughty Room". There they asked him to open his suitcase and he had to remove a knife that he had taken with him. (guess its a guy thing) :rolleyes: They kept the knife until the end of the cruise and then he picked it up once we stepped off the ship.

He said there were many suitcases there and many bottles of wine, liquer etc.

Two years ago they delivered the suitcase with a note inside saying they had taken a bottle of wine out. This time it appears there was a different procedure. I am told it may depend on the departure port.

So yes, RCCL does have the "Naughty Room".

Whoa... am I the only one who thought this thread was going in a completely different direction?

I was about to respond "the cabin my DW and I are staying in, of course". :D

We just got off the Grandeur and tehy did have a naughty room. I had my rumrunner flask fullof Kahula confiscated! When we didn'tg have our suitcases by 4:30 I had a feeling somethng wasn't right, DH asked the room stewart who said all luggage was delivered. So he went down to the pursors desk and ours plus some other suitcases were sitting there.They did bring them to us finally but they had been searched. My DH had a rumrunner flasks in his but they didn't take it! Mine was in a beachbag surronded by clothes and they took it! A little while later we saw people getting their suitcases from a room behind the pursors desk.

We just got off the Grandeur and tehy did have a naughty room. I had my rumrunner flask fullof Kahula confiscated!... My DH had a rumrunner flasks in his but they didn't take it! Mine was in a beachbag surronded by clothes and they took it!

Guess this answers the "do rumrunners always work" question. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. :)

Whoa... am I the only one who thought this thread was going in a completely different direction?

I was about to respond "the cabin my DW and I are staying in, of course". :D

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I thought the same thing! Oh boy, I needed a laugh today!

Over the Edge-No smuggling for our New Year's Cruise;):D:p

The Mariner does have a Naughty Room. I was called down there. They do not inspect the cases, you do it yourselves. I pulled two bottle of beers and gave it to the guy. I left my large bottle of vodtka in my suitcase.

We didn't have locks on our luggage (I'm a trusting soul..and I figure if they really want in there, they'll find a way), and they confiscated all alcohol out of our checked bags. We had notes in the luggage indicating what they took (1 bottle, 2 bottles, etc.).

Most of the people we talked to had their alcohol confiscated from checked luggage. On the flip side, most of us had some alcohol in our carry ons that was never questioned.

So no naughty room on the AOS - may be different if you have locks on the luggage.

As another poster said, it was conference room A on the Grandeur. I know because my bag was missing so I was told to go there twice. My bag was not there, but I saw a large pile of liquor.

They did leave 1 bottle of wine that my friend had in her checked luggage.

We aren't sure if this is the "new" RCI enforcing their policies, or the "spring break police". Remains to be seen if they continue to be as strict about liquor in checked luggage.

I'm not all that upset about it - it's their policy, and they chose to strictly enforce it on this cruise. Anticipating the possibility..I'm only out about $12 from a bottle of rum. Whatever will be, will be.

From reading the RCCL forums, no such room seems to exist on RCCL ships. If something of suspect is seen by the scanners, they open your luggage (without you present) and confiscate prohibited items, leaving a note inside that says such. What if the luggage has locks on it? Do they cut them off? These are not TSA personnel so they don't have TSA approved lock keys (one would hope). Would a suspected prohibited item have a better chance of making it through in locked luggage since RCCL doesn't seem to go the naughty room route?

You don't need to unlock a suitcase to open it. A locked bag can be opened and searched without removing the lock or destroying the bag.

And the ships do have naughty rooms. During spring break, the amount of liquor is so high that they just confiscate instead of holding luggage in a naughty room.

At the Captain's C&A last week on the Explorer, a woman from the UK asked when her confiscated bottle would be returned. The Hotel Director said they do not return bottles of smuggled liquor. He said the no outside alcohol policy has been in effect for 2.5 years and everyone is aware of it. He said her bottle would not be returned to her and would be disposed.

This was new to me. I thought they returned factory sealed unopened bottles and disposed of Rum Runners and mouthwash bottles filled with liquor.

Yes. It is very easy to tell water from alcohol without even opening the bottle.

It must not be that easy. DW had her liter bottle of water in her checked bag. Had to report to one of the lounges on the Grandeur last November. She told them they could pour it out because she only really wanted the bottle since it had the spout for sipping. Meanwhile I had two bottles of 16 oz. unopened water in my checked baggage delivered to the cabin. Go figure!

It must not be that easy. DW had her liter bottle of water in her checked bag. Had to report to one of the lounges on the Grandeur last November. She told them they could pour it out because she only really wanted the bottle since it had the spout for sipping. Meanwhile I had two bottles of 16 oz. unopened water in my checked baggage delivered to the cabin. Go figure!

Earn asked about carry on, not checked. If they are questioned at security, all they have to do is shake the water bottle to tell if it is water or not. The bubbles don't lie.

As far as checked bags, if yours were unlocked, they could have looked at the seals and let your bag through. They also could have missed it. Same goes for your wife's bag.

Last year we boarded Adventure of the Seas in San Juan. We had purchased a bottle of rum for our room the night before and stuffed it in our luggage before we headed to the ship. Before we sailed, we received a phone call to report to security. My husband and I had to get off the ship and go into a little room. They asked us to identify our bags which we did. I thought for sure they had found the rum and I was ready to plead guilty and watch them pour it out. They asked us what we had in our bags and we only responded clothing, etc. They then opened our bags in front of us and pulled out our teenagers ice skates. They had thought we were smuggling on four large knives. Of course, when we got back to the room we had to tease our kids and told them they had found the rum and we had been kicked off the ship. They never did find the rum.

NCL is famous for their "naughty room" on their ships where checked luggage, after scanning, suspected of containing prohbited items is sent. NCL does not open the luggage themselves, they ask owners to come to the naughty room to open the luggage for inspection. Many times, the suspect item turns out to something legit.

I have to say....when I first saw the title "naughty room" my mind went completely elsewhere! :D

At least now I know what that means. LOL

We were on a b2b on IOS March 7-21. I had packed a case of water, a large bottle of mouthwash and 5 empty water bottles in my checked luggage. No alcohol at all. My bags were very late coming in to my cabin. They eventually showed up just before dinner. I opened them up only to find that they had already been opened up by RCCL. They had left a note (orange) with their no alcohol policy on it inside my bags. Since I didn't have any alcohol, they had also left another note confirming that I wasn't smuggling anything. Anyways, I never did see a Naughty Room on IOS, but it definitely has a Naughty Squad!!

The naughty room on the Grandeur was a conference room off of the Singing in the Rain Lounge. Our friends and I were sitting there watching the folks come and go.

DH had to pick up his suitcase while we were on the Grandeur...no liquor but we had a LOT of sunscreen (we're both pale and blonde so we need plenty!) which may have set something off during the scans. We waited in line outside the conference room for about an hour and RCL made us open up the luggage ourselves. What a waste of time...

Archived