Skin Rashes on Labadee???

Anyone ever have a problem with skin rashes after visiting Labadee?

Let me explain. We have cruised with RCI 3 times and stopped at Labadee each time. Every time we have cruised my wife ends up with a rash on her arms and legs, small itchy blisters that if broken actually scar. They have gotten progressively worse with each cruise we have taken.

The reason we thought about Labadee was that she got them during the cruise the first time and Labadee was the first stop. She got them at the end the second cruise and Labadee was the last stop. This time at the start and Labadee was the first stop again.

We thought maybe it was detergent RCI uses in the sheets but figured they wouldn't likely use the same stuff over that length of time and it doesn't explain that she gets the rash after Labadee.

We ruled out suntan lotion because she has been using it on her stomach for the past two weeks since we've returned and no reaction.

We thought maybe there was some particular plant there she might be sensitive to, or perhaps an insecticide they use there. I dunno.

Anyway, we took Benadryl with us so she took that and it relieved the itching, but not the outbreak itself.

No big deal really, just wondering what she would be allegic to. Anyone else ever had that problem?

Edited by HorrorFan

I perhaps should add that she has never had this type of problem at any other time, so unless sand fleas or mites are only found there that isn't likley the cause. Of course I suppose it COULD be a certain variety they have there. I dunno.

We both ended up with this rash on our lower legs, dont really know from what but the ac was dripping onto our bed, or maybe detergent or shomewhere walking ouround town, who kows it didnt hurt but was a bit

wierd.

DSC04998.jpg.265d48ef6fd826f7e61d2055f4bca580.jpg

DSC05011.jpg.17b3121672fb369f78f5220b03d6cf50.jpg

Did she get in the ocean? I think there is something microscopic, can't remember what its called. But it will affect you this way . I know when I have visited Playa del Carmen, Mexico its a problem there, usually worse in the Spring months. I even purchases a special suntan lotion online that would protect you against these little creatures.

There are also sea lice which can cause this type of rash..... At first I thought it might be PABA it can react on dif. parts of the body differently.

Yeah, we thought of that but why only the arms and legs? And she wasn't exposed to Paba, none in the sunscreen.

Did she get in the ocean?

Yes, but again, it mainly only affected her arms and legs. And she has been in the ocean in plenty of other places with no ill effects.

I suppose it will just remain a mystery. If we visit there again, maybe she'l just stay on the ship.:D

Even though Labadee is beautiful it is also part of Haiti, one of the nastiest places on earth with plenty of diseases.

The signs in the public restrooms warning you to not drink the water concerned me. If you can't drink then it most likely contains bacteria. I washed my hands but it was on my mind that the water I was using could have been tainted.

Let me explain. We have cruised with RCI 3 times and stopped at Labadee each time. Every time we have cruised my wife ends up with a rash on her arms and legs, small itchy blisters that if broken actually scar. They have gotten progressively worse with each cruise we have taken.

The reason we thought about Labadee was that she got them during the cruise the first time and Labadee was the first stop. She got them at the end the second cruise and Labadee was the last stop. This time at the start and Labadee was the first stop again.

We thought maybe it was detergent RCI uses in the sheets but figured they wouldn't likely use the same stuff over that length of time and it doesn't explain that she gets the rash after Labadee.

We ruled out suntan lotion because she has been using it on her stomach for the past two weeks since we've returned and no reaction.

We thought maybe there was some particular plant there she might be sensitive to, or perhaps an insecticide they use there. I dunno.

Anyway, we took Benadryl with us so she took that and it relieved the itching, but not the outbreak itself.

No big deal really, just wondering what she would be allegic to. Anyone else ever had that problem?

I get sun poisoning whenever I go to the beach, especially the caribbean. The sun is too intense and it creates a bumpy rash and itchy blisters. And it does get worse with each exposure.

There is really nothing to do but lather on the sun block.

• Like 1

YES! Our daughter experienced what you are describing. We were having a lovely relaxing day at Labadee, and then it struck... a very painful and itchy rash for her. It only affected her, out of four of us. We don't know why, as we were all in the ocean, but she got the worst of it. She seemed to think it was sea ants or sea lice, as mentioned above.

Sea Lice...

http://www.buysafesea.com/sea_lice.php

I in no way endorse the product, because I have never run into sea lice and I have never used the product. I do scuba dive and I always dive in a dive skin or wetsuit. There are lots of things in the ocean that can make your day unpleasant, and a dive suit is the best protection.

jc

I guess it's possible that some jellyfish tentacles were floating in the water and happened to touch her arms and legs.... Very odd that it didn't affect her torso or face. Could it be shaving/waxing prior to going in the water?

Next time, try putting a thin layer of Vaseline onto the skin, to keep any "whatevers" off!

Edited by cb at sea

in our case she didnt go in the water anywhere, (I did) so its kinda strange she had a more severe reaction than me, might be from hotel room in florida

we have no idea but it started 2 days into our cruise, she was on a beach but didnt swim, might of picked it up there on the beach, anyways nothing

to do it cleared up about 5 days later, didnt scrach or itch, probably something microscopic anyways

Me too! I experienced this same thing twice on a Royal Caribbean cruise. The first time, I don't remember when it occurred but the second time, I know that it occurred after Labadee.

The first time, I thought it might be something in the sheets or towels that affected me and not DH. I have wondered if it could have come from the floating mats at Labadee because the rash was on the underside of my arms both times. I like to float in the water with my arms draped across the mat. My rash was not painful but was a little itchy.

I guess it's possible that some jellyfish tentacles were floating in the water and happened to touch her arms and legs.... Very odd that it didn't affect her torso or face. Could it be shaving/waxing prior to going in the water?

Next time, try putting a thin layer of Vaseline onto the skin, to keep any "whatevers" off!

She has got it all three cruises after Labadee. It starts the next day and continues for a couple weeks or so. Wouldn't be jellyfish and she doesn't wax or shave her arms. She even had a few on her chest this time. We'll probably never know. Guess it could be a sun thing but she never gets ithere during the summer.

:confused:

Oh, and she doesn't go in the hot tubs either.

Edited by HorrorFan

This past Jan we were on the Independence and went to the beach in Mahahual, Costa Maya. I came down with a wierd itchy rash on my upper right leg and hip. I figured it was sand mites. We had lounge chairs with cushions, I did lie mostly on my back and right side, could have been something in the cushion... Anyhow, it drove me crazy for 2+ weeks before it finally went away! Strange that it only affected one side of my body, no one else in the group was itchy, just me! :-(

Has she seen a dermatologist?

No, it is usually clearing up when we get home. And it did this time, especially with the Benadryl, and she also got some cortisone cream on the ship that seemed to help. Its just a weird thing every time we cruise, and that it doesn't start until after Labadee. Might just be a coincidence, who knows.

Even though Labadee is beautiful it is also part of Haiti, one of the nastiest places on earth with plenty of diseases.

The signs in the public restrooms warning you to not drink the water concerned me. If you can't drink then it most likely contains bacteria. I washed my hands but it was on my mind that the water I was using could have been tainted.

This is what I was thinking. Since it is Haiti, there might be a higher percentage of raw sewage in the water than at other places. Maybe she is just very sensitive to it and that water there is dirty enough that it brings out a rash.