Millennium still dry-docked in May?

pseudochicken

I was wondering with the recent Azipod problems this past winter, is the Millennium still due for that dry-dock this spring prior to the Alaska sailings? I heard a lot of interior work was scheduled to be redone, including re-doing the buffet areas, etc. I haven't heard much about Mille and that dry dock since the Azipod problems.

Does anyone know? I'm going on the Millennium this June to Alaska so I'm just dying to know! :)

This has been discussed a couple times. I believe the answer was yes, the interior work will still be done. The March drydock was only for the pod and a general cleaning. There are no cruises scheduled from May 8-22nd.

Two passengers on Millie now posted that she is in good shape and they are happy with the food and service. I plan on posting some "live" updates once I am onboard. I will be sure to ask what is being done. The last I heard it was flat screen TV's in the cabins, a new buffet area (Ocean Cafe) to match Solstice class and possibly a new specialty restaurant. Ill see what I can find out.

There had been a post previously that they were going to add a 2nd specality resturant

during the dry dock. Asked the TA the other day what she had heard about it, which was

nothing but she called X and after talking to several people in Miami they said there were no plans to add a 2nd resturant.

I plan on posting some "live" updates once I am onboard. I will be sure to ask what is being done. The last I heard it was flat screen TV's in the cabins, a new buffet area (Ocean Cafe) to match Solstice class and possibly a new specialty restaurant. Ill see what I can find out.

Thank you! I would LOVE to hear some live updates.:D

No problem. With 5 sea days back to Vancouver Im sure I can find the time:). I have lots of faith in Millie and her crew regardless of some of the recent negative posts.

I will post onboard as soon as I can.

Steve

I will look for your "live" posts from the Millennium. We are booked on the first sailing after the dry dock and are eagerly awaiting information....

B

I am also booked on the 1st sailing after the dry dock. Hope I'm not disappointed. Really looking forward to my 1st Alaska cruise.

Martha

Celebrity confirmed to me in writing that the May drydock is still on, but they would not confirm what will change.

I personally do not think she is in that bad of shape (sure, a few cosmetic upgrades here and there would be nice) and she is a wonderful ship overall so no one should worry at all about booking her, regardless of what they improve in May!:)

I've seen her in Wellingtn Harbour today .. what a beautiful ship! HOpe the passengers are having a nice visit (despite cold southerly blowing!)

We were there in Jan and it was....COLD Windy and cloudy, supposedly high summer ?? Said it was called the San Francisco of the So. Hemisphere, and what with those hills etc. I believe it (does it have fog a lot too??):rolleyes:

we are going in october and are intersted in her whereabouts and upgrade potential

thanks carol

Hi Carol, If you are talking about a complimentary upgrade?

Celebrity rarely, if ever offers them.

If you want to move to a better cabin? That is always

possible as long as the cabin you want is available.

We will be on the June 5th sailing...we have never sailed Celebrity or to Alaska. I am excited this ship will get a face lift right before we go. We are booked in CC class cabin 9108. We have no idea what to expect, but we are excited!

Contrary to your experience (or lack of) we were JUST on the Mille. in Jan. and We too are sailing to Alaska in June (19th) and we are really waiting with baited breath to see what changes this Drydock will bring. She really wasn't in that bad a shape, a few things were worn, but not the first cruise ship we've been on that this was true. The exciting thing would be if the "softgoods" were changed, they were getting ratty in some cases and the colors of the furniture was a bit odd, purple couches with orange carpets etc. Also if they change the buffet as suggested, would be nice...you had HUGE distances between each "Station," Sandwiches , hot foods, salads etc. all separated with stations closed up. For someone with a cane it was a long walk! Might be like an Innagural Sailing kinda???:rolleyes:

I've just spoken to a Celebrity Sales Agent in the UK and she said that only work on the pods is being completed and that no other refurb is scheduled.

I hope this is not correct as I am going on the 29th May to Alaska!!

They have done pod work in the past and it usually only takes just over a week. Three weeks in dry dock leave time for so much work to be done. X will not let an empty cruise ship go to waste. If nothing else, soft goods should be repaired, cleaned or replaced.

I've just spoken to a Celebrity Sales Agent in the UK and she said that only work on the pods is being completed and that no other refurb is scheduled.

I hope this is not correct as I am going on the 29th May to Alaska!!

We're going on August 14th with them. I'm hoping someone on the first Alaska trip in May will post about the condition of the ship before my final payment is due on June 5th! <crossing fingers>.

BTW, I don't think the Millie is in dry dock for 3 weeks as it returns from Hawaii on May 7th and the next cruise departs on May 22nd.

We will be on the June 5th sailing...we have never sailed Celebrity or to Alaska. I am excited this ship will get a face lift right before we go. We are booked in CC class cabin 9108. We have no idea what to expect, but we are excited!

Lisamarie - come join us on our roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=747388&page=5

I recently sent an email to Customer Service asking what was being done during the dry-dock. This is their reply:

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide details regarding the upcoming refurbishment of the Celebrity Millennium. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

Not sure what that means other than it did not sound to exciting

As we have a good sized group going on the Millennium in June, I just called to see what was going on with this drydock. I was told that is was updating "carpeting, curtains, bedding, soft goods (furnishings)" and she could not tell about other things such as TVs and other more major renovations (I was told on the ship they wouldn't commit to these anyway). Also some more involved repairs relating to wear and tear on the ship. After sailing on her in November, I have to say that if they gave a little attention to the cabins, that would probably be very nice, most of the common areas were in pretty good shape. I can't wait, and look forward to hear from those onboard after her facelift.

Hold on!! I will be onboard on Sunday and plan on posting *LIVE* atleast a few times. I will try and find out everything I can about the drydock.

I am Elite so will go to the Senior officers reception and hopefully up to the bridge and see what I can dig up for you all. I have been informed by people on board right now (Auckland-Honolulu) that the ship is in good shape, the food is good, and the entertainment is great.

Steve

Archived