Free Charms at Diamond International

Lets be realistic, no one really expects those "gold charms" to have real gold in them but they are fun to give to the grand kids for their collection. We've never paid a cent for any of them & collected all of them in the Caribbean, Alaska, Key West and ones from the cruise ships and only have only the Mexican coast and Las Vegas to go. All of the kids want a complete set so I guess we'll just have to keep on traveling. ;)

Every time I went into the stores for the "free" stuff, they gave me a disgusted look and begrudgingly went to get my charm. I stopped collecting them because they are so cheap and I have much better things to do while exploring the ports than collect cheap junk.

If you go to their link on page one and a survey pops up you can get the charms for free it you take the survey and pay the $4.95 shipping. They add the braclet to the shopping cart but all you have to do is put a zero in the quanity box.

We will see if I get them! Beats going to all the different place. I picked the silvertone which is under silver on the left side. I thought they would be GREAT for a scrapbook!

• 8 years later...
Personally I am a jeweler by trade what they are giving you is not worth the nickle and copper they are offered to you. What do you want for free real gold?

Its not good gold, its inlayed meaning it has some copper in it. I have gone to those places because of friends thinking they wanted something for nothing and personally they are not worth the spit they give you.

Red!!

And anyone who buys from a jeweler is NOT getting ripped off? The reality is diamonds are not rare at all. They are abundant and common, but people pay the price because they are purty, or have a special memory attached. So who cares if the charm is fake. At least the memory is as strong as paying thousands for a common diamond as one would pay for a piece of glass.

So why tell someone afterwards they got ripped off? Why plant a negative memory on something they are proud about, feel good about, and happy with?

I have a lot of diamonds over the years. I am sure I could not sale those rings for what I paid for them, even 20 years ago.... why? because they are not rare. It does not minimize the value of the memory tho.

My wife and I love to collect the charms. Each one is a memory of the port, and the vacation we spent together. Cheap or not, that doesn't matter. Like diamonds, we find value in it regardless. That is exactly what jewelers tell me when I ask them why they are charging so much for a common commodity. "Its the shimmer, and the beauty, and the memory" So.... back at ya.

BTW: Glass can provide all that as well, much cheaper.

I could only see popping someone bubble if they were trying to buy INVESTMENT grade gems. Otherwise. let people enjoy their purchase. It's a value to the purchaser.

I cannot remember how many DI bracelets I have gotten and how many charms I have obtained for free. When I started "collecting" the charms had to be placed by pliers. Now, they have the "lobster claw" like attachments that immediately attach the charms to the bracelet. I showed up at one port with my first DI Bracelet and the store clerks demanded to know where I got that bracelet! Hey...stuff happens over the years!

As a freebie...it is a great memento of our travels! Is it worth $$. NO...it was FREE! That does not mean that it does not have value. There are a lot of memories attached to those charms!

My DW collected them, also from Alaska and the Caribbean. We made a couple of nice bracelets with charms on them and gave them to our granddaughters. We knew they were cheap, but they ended up turning black after they wore them TWO times.

Don't waste you time, and if your grandkids like simulated

gold that turns black after wearing it a few times, then these are for you. Buy them something nice and don't embarrass yourself.

Cheers

Len