PHOTOS -Behind the scenes!

Aplmac

• 6 months later...
General crew movement areas..

Behind-569.jpg

Behind-696.jpg

I'm thinking that striped black-and-yellow area of the floor..

is where sections of the hull may not have 'mated' quite accurately

during hull assembly, modular section by modular section?

Minor fitting mistakes are bound to happen during assembly of huge sections of pre-fab hull

and it's just too darned late to un-weld everything and start over

..so they make a little ramp to adapt floor level by the 1 - 1.5 inch error in elevation? :confused:

Surely it can't be like that, on purpose...by design ?

Anyone ?.

I'm 99% sure thats a remotely operated flood control / fire door. In the case of flooding one can just push a button on the bridge (or maybe it's in the Piano bar?) and the doors shut. The black/yellow striping is to warn people to stay clear and not block the door with boxes, hoses etc.

• 8 months later...

That may be an expantion joint. Large ships are built to flex with the waves. The carrier that I was stationed on had two expantion joints. In rough weather you could watch them flex more that two feet. If large ships didn't flex, they would break apart in the first storm they incountered.

Just guessing though.

I'm 99% sure thats a remotely operated flood control / fire door. In the case of flooding one can just push a button on the bridge (or maybe it's in the Piano bar?) and the doors shut. The black/yellow striping is to warn people to stay clear and not block the door with boxes, hoses etc.

You are correct, that is indeed a watertight door.

• 6 months later...

I am always amazed at how smoothly cruise ships manage to service the needs of so many people all at one time.

As someone with over ten years experience working for a land based major corporate restaurant chain; I must admit that our kitchens NEVER looked as clean as those on the ship. Not even close! Wow!

The staff employed on these ships work so very hard to maintain these standards. I am truly impressed.

You are correct, that is indeed a watertight door.

On the one cruise we took, we were told that the door is a water tight door and is automatic, so you would have to make a quick decision on which side you wanted to be on, because the door does not stop for anything. It rather freaked me out when we were told this. (I really did feel like a scene from Titanic)

• 3 months later...
The Star Princess on a recent Mexican Riviera cruise had such evening entertainment also by a pair of crew members. All I can say is that young love is so interesting to watch if it doesn't involve any family members!

But back to behind the scenes....

Here is the crews balcony on Mariner of the Seas :D:

mexican_riviera_cruise_apr_2009_300.jpg

Fixing the link on an old post....

mexican_riviera_cruise_apr_2009_300.jpg

• 5 months later...
Big Bigger Biggest Cruise Ship --

Speaking of the Biggest, my wife & I were able to tour the wheelhouse of the biggest cruise ship afloat today - Allure of the seas. We were lucky enough to be the only 2 on the tour, it was suprisingly very quiet there.

Here's a few pics of our tour:

allure-bridge-1_zps8260d23f.jpg

allure-bridge-2_zpsa68ba800.jpg

allure-bridge-3_zps6f528704.jpg

allure-bridge-4_zpse0b67bc9.jpg

allure-bridge-5_zpsb58d316d.jpg

allure-bridge-6_zpsbb777684.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, since this thread has been resurrected, and I've just looked at all the photos, I can answer a lot of the speculation, as I have been a Chief Engineer on cruise ships:

1. Yes, the semi-circular item on the bulkhead of the mooring station is a brake band for one of the winches (drum thingy)

2. The striped ramp is for a watertight door. In order to not have to make a watertight seal at a corner between the bulkhead and deck, the watertight door and bulkhead go below this ramp, so the door only seals against the bulkhead. The striping is a warning, and when the door closes, the ramp flips up out of the way.

3. The "motor thing" in the sanitary locker photo of "black water piping" is not a motor, but the air operated shuttle valve that cycles the valve that opens to empty the toilet, and the water valve that opens to fill the toilet. Note that the piping runs UP from the toilet, so when dealing with a vacuum toilet system, the old saying that "S**t flows downhill" does not apply, as many toilets flush up.

4. The attractive lady on the bow is called a crew perk. You didn't think perks only applied to Diamond and Platinum, did you?

5. The galley restaraunt and bar areas (and water production, pools, laundry, and medical areas) are regulated by the USPH service, which inspect the vessels under the Vessel Sanitation Plan (and give the CDC scores that people look at to see how well the ship they are booked on is doing sanitation-wise). USPH VSP standards are many times more strict than any local or state health codes, though they are starting to catch up. There is normally a weekly inspection of the USPH regulated areas of the ship by 15-20 of the senior supervisors to find and correct deficiencies. Among other duties, usually the Staff Captain and Staff Chief Engineer are tasked with the implementation of the USPH protocols.

In December I took a "See how it's done" tour on Celebrity Solstice. We were permitted to take still photos but not video in most areas (incl. bridge and engine control room).

More photos from the tour can be seen in my web album here

DSC09954.JPG

Bridge wing controls

DSC09964.JPG

DSC09971.JPG

DSC09976.JPG

Engine control room

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

Edited by boeckli

• 3 weeks later...
Great pictures.

I can remember when we were able to visit the bridges -- before 9/11. And it was free.

Enjoyed those days.

Yes, security was far different in those days, but the price is just another example of the lines grabbing the passenger by the ankles, turning them upside down, and shaking until all the pockets are empty.

Okay, since this thread has been resurrected, and I've just looked at all the photos, I can answer a lot of the speculation, as I have been a Chief Engineer on cruise ships:

1. Yes, the semi-circular item on the bulkhead of the mooring station is a brake band for one of the winches (drum thingy)

2. The striped ramp is for a watertight door. In order to not have to make a watertight seal at a corner between the bulkhead and deck, the watertight door and bulkhead go below this ramp, so the door only seals against the bulkhead. The striping is a warning, and when the door closes, the ramp flips up out of the way.

3. The "motor thing" in the sanitary locker photo of "black water piping" is not a motor, but the air operated shuttle valve that cycles the valve that opens to empty the toilet, and the water valve that opens to fill the toilet. Note that the piping runs UP from the toilet, so when dealing with a vacuum toilet system, the old saying that "S**t flows downhill" does not apply, as many toilets flush up.

4. The attractive lady on the bow is called a crew perk. You didn't think perks only applied to Diamond and Platinum, did you?

5. The galley restaraunt and bar areas (and water production, pools, laundry, and medical areas) are regulated by the USPH service, which inspect the vessels under the Vessel Sanitation Plan (and give the CDC scores that people look at to see how well the ship they are booked on is doing sanitation-wise). USPH VSP standards are many times more strict than any local or state health codes, though they are starting to catch up. There is normally a weekly inspection of the USPH regulated areas of the ship by 15-20 of the senior supervisors to find and correct deficiencies. Among other duties, usually the Staff Captain and Staff Chief Engineer are tasked with the implementation of the USPH protocols.

Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll jump in... Galley Tour (CC one not the one you just walk thru) NCL Jewel

NCL Jewel "I 95" some call Broadway, with watertight door (you are below the water line)

63079_160310370648185_3831869_n.jpg

Clean that seafood... Notice the bags of it along the wall

59914_160310383981517_2683407_n.jpg

Watermelon? BTW, those roses in the back, they walk around the MDR selling them...

63814_160310457314843_283577_n.jpg

Getting ready for the NCL Chocolate Buffet

58701_160310500648172_6832445_n.jpg

How is that for ovens??

57907_160310490648173_363162_n.jpg